Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I did some detailing...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

That's a good idea Curran. Half a bootlid is probably a good size do I might do some tests tomorrow evening. I've been looking at YouTube tutorials all week so I have a good idea what's required, but there's no substitute for experience.

Any suggestions on machine speed?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

Have a look at Junkman on DetailingWorld...im sure you'll find him on YouTube aswell; his videos are good and light hearted.

Put on the Tea for this one - pity the pictures arent working anymore...still worth a read

Lots of info here from Mike

Speeds vary depending on the job at hand. A set would usually consists of....
    Start off at 1 to spread the polish, move up to 2-3 to heat the polish, move up again to a speed that works the polish well (doesnt dry it out too quick, and can work it for a few passes) and that feels comfortable to you (so the machine is bouncing about the place, also the vibration of the DA on your hands), then back down the speed to a pass or two, buff off the polish and inspect.

Any thing else, give me a shout.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Well I didn't do any detailing YET, but I got myself a bottle of AutoGlym Instant tyre shine. Slowly building my collection :D I'll give it a try anyway, and if that fails, i'll try something else.......

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Having been lurking in the forum for some time i finally got down to attempting a detailing of the exterior of the car yesterday and today.

Washed with two bucket method and wash mitt
    Clayed (although it being my first time it probably could have been done better, took an hour and a half for the whole car - autoglym detailing clay kit)
    Washed the wheels with an all purpose cleaner
    Polished/waxed with autoglym ultra deep shine
    Finished wheels with autoglym tyre dresser

Happy out with the result. :)

However....

I didnt have a detarring product and reviews of using petrol as a subsitute were mixed so didnt chance it

I saw that the inside of the alloys were covered in tar /breakdust /general sh!te so a job for another day will be to take them off and try to reveal the colour underneath.

And while the ultra deep shine doesnt require seperate wax or polish to be used with it according to autoglym, Id like to try polishing and waxing next time separately with some extra products (as if i buy any more things for the car at the mo i will be divorced) :o

Any pics SeaFields?

• Advertisement

Curran wrote: »
    Any pics SeaFields?

Sorry no, didnt occur to me actually. The car is going on a 300km round trip tomorrow so if i think of it before i set off ill take on in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭mfergus

Any idea where online I could buy collinite 845?
    On amazon its saying UK delivery only and on eBay its asking for approx 20euro shipping cost !

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭BillJ

mfergus wrote: »
    On amazon its saying UK delivery only and on eBay its asking for approx 20euro shipping cost !

Cheers

http://www.detailingshed.com/

Curran on here runs it. PM himand he's very helpful for giving advice on what and how to use products.

BillJ wrote: »
    http://www.detailingshed.com/

Curran on here runs it. PM himand he's very helpful for giving advice on what and how to use products.

Cheers for the fast reply . I had a look on that site earlier but it says its not in stock with them options but available with other options. But I cant find other !
    I'll pm him!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Cheers

http://parcelmotel.com/

You get a "UK address" in NI, the parcel gets moved to your nearest storage locker for easy collection, and all it costs is €3.50. Works for almost everything that says UK delivery only ;)

• Advertisement

http://parcelmotel.com/

You get a "UK address" in NI, the parcel gets moved to your nearest storage locker for easy collection, and all it costs is €3.50. Works for almost everything that says UK delivery only ;)

I must look into this .thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

If DS have 476s in stock it's practically the same product, just not quite as easy to apply (apparently).

Think of it as a mans wax as opposed to 845 which is a bit more girly :)

Apply it very thinly and it's a piece of piss to use.

Cheers for the fast reply . I had a look on that site earlier but it says its not in stock with them options but available with other options. But I cant find other !
    I'll pm him!

The must have received more - back in stock, it seems!! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭vectra

I'll pm him!

Yup.
    In stock

http://www.detailingshed.com/waxes/243-collinite-845-liquid-insulator-wax.html

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭The_Pretender

What do you guys recommend for the interior? I've got fabric seats and plastics on the dash.

I'm checking out:

-Chemical Guy Fabric Guard Interior Protection Shield
    -CG Lightning Fast Stain Extractor and Cleaner
    -CG Vintage Shine dressing

Any of you experience with the CG interior products and do you find it good?

I've not used any of those products.
    I have used CG's Fabric Clean and its a very good stain remover. For the dash I've used CG's Natural Shine and its very nice - leaves a nice matt finish...anything with a shiny finish will attract dust and is generally a sticky finish so a nightmare to wipe down. With Natural Shine, as its matt, it the dash just needs a light wipe during your weekly hoover and re-application every few months.

Are the seats brand new and you are looking to protect them? If so, Id probably look into gtechniq's Fabric Gurard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

20140503_142259.jpg

Did wheels too

20140503_164507.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Did wheels too

20140503_164507.jpg

Emmm...no you didn't :pac:

20140503_183701.jpg

• Advertisement

Emmm...no you didn't :pac:

Before and after, you got here before the after!
    20140503_183213.jpg

That was wash, clay (probably not really necessary as was done about two months ago but I did pick some stuff up). Some minor paint correction, full polish with mezerna, two coats of chemical guys 'black'. This is unusual stuff, like a paste going on. Was expensive but definitely an improvement on the dodo juice carnauba wax I've been using till now.

I have the DA polisher, not the plus one. I'm convinced serious paint correction is not possible. Have tried the most abrasive pads (yellow) and most abrasive compound (menzerna, chemical guys extreme compound and a gtecniq stuff - not all together) and no matter how long I work the areas, there is no YouTube type results. Convinced the machine I have isn't up to it. Definitely a bit improvement, and great for polishing, but not up to major paint correction on bmw paint.

SeaFields wrote: »
    Having been lurking in the forum for some time i finally got down to attempting a detailing of the exterior of the car yesterday and today.

My first attempt at detailing as posted above last week didnt last long.....Car was hit while parked today by a foreign driver in rented car. Paintwork on one side ruined :(:(:(

That was wash, clay (probably not really necessary as was done about two months ago but I did pick some stuff up). Some minor paint correction, full polish with mezerna, two coats of chemical guys 'black'. This is unusual stuff, like a paste going on. Was expensive but definitely an improvement on the dodo juice carnauba wax I've been using till now.

I have the DA polisher, not the plus one. I'm convinced serious paint correction is not possible. Have tried the most abrasive pads (yellow) and most abrasive compound (menzerna, chemical guys extreme compound and a gtecniq stuff - not all together) and no matter how long I work the areas, there is no YouTube type results. Convinced the machine I have isn't up to it. Definitely a bit improvement, and great for polishing, but not up to major paint correction on bmw paint.

You can indeed.
    I have used one on a couple of VAG cars.
    I know the BMW paint can be harder but perseverance is the key ;)

I've done a vag car as a favour for a friend and one of the yellow pads was the colour of the car by the time I was finished paint correction.

The bmw is different. I spent over twenty minutes this morning in one small area, one foot by one foot, and the machine simply does not leave a flawless finish. It's 90% better than it was, and with the two coats of wax you can no longer see any imperfection, but it is still there under the wax!

I made three attempts, about 7 to 8 minutes at a time, just doing constant passes. Then wiped down the area and started again.... Just isn't like the videos on YouTube where these huge marks come flying out!

Just a quick point - perhaps you are applying too much pressure. If too much pressure is applied then the DA wont spin as its not forced drive, there is a clutch in them to limit the risk of damaging the paint.

On BMW paint, even with a rotary polisher, aggressive pad and polish combo, rarely is one or two passes enough to correct a car with heavy swirling.
    You cant expect for one pass on the compounding stage to be enough to remove defects...on areas such as the roof, perhaps, but certainly not on panels that take the brunt, for example the near side of the car being drive up close to ditches and as a result bushes etc. With a DA (without forced drive) its going to take even longer! Results are achievable, but not if you dont have any patience - you offset the risk of damage for slower results.

I've done a vag car as a favour for a friend and one of the yellow pads was the colour of the car by the time I was finished paint correction.

In that case the car is either older, and was single stage paint (no clear coat) or the car had been painted at some point.

On your car, I would expect to see absolutely no colour transfer to the pads, as there is clear coat on the car.

Here is a quick example.....

This was 3 sets with a heavy cut pad/polish, and a rotary polisher!

Nothing done
    DSC_0119_zps2844709a.jpg

1st pass
    DSC_0120_zpse83054f4.jpg
    2nd pass
    DSC_0121_zpse881e64d.jpg
    3rd pass
    DSC_0122_zps37ef018d.jpg

Not much improvement on the 2nd and 3rd set; but the car had been machined before and readings were low so safer to leave it at that and refine it, than to go chasing the defects and risking striking through the clear coat. This shows that even sometimes its not possible to get it 100%....you have to hope that the wax or sealant that you apply will fill in the remaining defects. Also, they would have been hardly visible if the light wasnt so harsh.

The bmw is different. I spent over twenty minutes this morning in one small area, one foot by one foot, and the machine simply does not leave a flawless finish. It's 90% better than it was, and with the two coats of wax you can no longer see any imperfection, but it is still there under the wax!

I made three attempts, about 7 to 8 minutes at a time, just doing constant passes. Then wiped down the area and started again.... Just isn't like the videos on YouTube where these huge marks come flying out!

I personally would never go for 100% correction.

Have you tried any mf pads on that machine?

I used MF pads on my sons e46 recently and it did some job on it.

988852_870625976297883_1005331907801448025_n.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Did the MF's work faster than the Hexlogic pads?

Advertisement