Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extension - are we dreaming?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,477 ✭✭✭harr

BrianHal wrote: »
    Is the 12-14 week guy running two jobs at the same time so won't be on you job 100% of the time?
    No I made sure to ask him that and he promised to have 3 lads on site for the duration of the build ,it seems a long build to me surely with 3 of them there it would not take nearly 14 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭archtech

Most extensions could be done in 8-10 weeks or less however in reality that doesn't give a whole lot of drying out time for finishes etc . Normally if individuals ask I would say allow yourself 12 weeks.
    If access is restricted this can have an effect on time frame

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

Windows - watch the windows i.e. delivery time. They are the one thing that can make an 8 week period easily turn to 10 / 12+ .....

The typical timeframe is

4 weeks - foundations walls roof on battened then
    Windows measure up - wait 3 weeks delivery - ( but can be up to 8 weeks with imported ) . contractors gets on with external plastering , roofing flashing downipes external drains footpaths first fix services , etc then 8 weeks gone
    Last 4 weeks then is finishing out . Internal plastering / doors / skirtings second fix services.

this is for a job that goes smoothly / no hiccups.

8 weeks - I really don't think so myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,477 ✭✭✭harr

Thanks for that lads,i think i will go for the second builder i just have a gut feeling that not all is right with the first guy and the price is a bit to good to true (17,500).Once its done and finished by Xmas i would be happy as they wont be starting till the end of august.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭aodh_rua

Hi everyone, we're considering a two-part extension to a detached house in Kildare. The first part is to build over an existing garage conversion to create an additional bedroom\en suite - approximately 260 sq ft; the other is to extend our kitchen - this would involve widening openings with some RSJs and an overall additional floor area of about 250 sq ft. The house is timberframe and 15 years old. Is there any kind of rule of thumb we should follow to price the construction cost through to second fix.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭archtech

aodh_rua wrote: »
    Hi everyone, we're considering a two-part extension to a detached house in Kildare. The first part is to build over an existing garage conversion to create an additional bedroom\en suite - approximately 260 sq ft; the other is to extend our kitchen - this would involve widening openings with some RSJs and an overall additional floor area of about 250 sq ft. The house is timberframe and 15 years old. Is there any kind of rule of thumb we should follow to price the construction cost through to second fix.

I would say at least €130-€150 /sq.foot based on previous similar type projects, but that very much depends on the standard of finish, if you intend going timber frame again and the condition/build up of the existing timber frame.

A structural engineer will be essential to review and access the existing timber frame structure and the impact on it by the extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭aodh_rua

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 5 KEVIN68

Hi
    I,d like to make a general point about pricing extensions . In my opinion anyone getting an extension completed to a good standard for below 100 euro per sq ft is very fortunate . As someone working in construction for nearly 30 years both as an employer and employee i would estimate a builder would be able to pay his employees and himself between 500-600 per week based on 100 per sq ft and maybe have about a grand left [depending on size of job ] at the end if all went well . This wage even in the current climate is not excessive imo for quality / skilled tradesmen .
    To my way of thinking the only way to cut this price down is either take shortcuts or perhaps pay the lads 2-3 hundred a week . This is certainly happening and i wonder if some of the posters would be as happy sitting in their nice extensions if they knew the reason it cost so little was the men who grafted so hard to build it were working for slave labour wages ?

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭caycro

I'm looking for a guidance price if anyone can help me. I have a bungalow with a very shallow pitch roof so I'm thinking of removing the existing roof, raising the side walls and putting a new, steeper roof with dormers in to create usable room/s. Space is approx 5m x 10m. Would anyone have an idea what type of cost I'm looking at ? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭javagal

Hi guys we are looking to extend our kitchen and add on a small play room to our house. Just to get the extension ready for paint how much would we be talking for 28m2. Don't need any plumbing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Murtinho

I've a similar question to the post above and dont want to start a new thread, 16m sq, (172ft sq), using the €80/sq ft calculation it comes out as €13760. What im wondering is "depending on what part of the country", im in wexford town, should it be cheaper or dearer then.

Its an extension to a kitchen, easily accessible, ill also be needing a new kitchen, IKEA most likely and appliances, fridge, freezer, oven, hob,

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭BrianHal

I've only gotten one price so far for my fairly well insulated 12 m2 sunroom extension and it was the princely sum of e25k. Needless to say, this is a non-runner.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 campervan11

do you have the phone number of the polish builder you used?

muffler, do you know where i would get phone numbers of polish builders?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

do you have the phone number of the polish builder you used?
    muffler, do you know where i would get phone numbers of polish builders?
    send the person a PM and don't bother us with this spam. thanks

BryanF wrote: »
    send the person a PM and don't bother us with this spam. thanks
    This is not spam you gob****e--i bet your the type that will ban anyone from your little "forum" who disagrees with you.

Go on ban me,:eek: I know you want to:D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

This is not spam you gob****e--i bet your the type that will ban anyone from your little "forum" who disagrees with you.

Go on ban me,:eek: I know you want to:D
    no bother, banned

• Registered Users Posts: 19 missmoxy86

Hi all,
    Just wondering if anyone could advise on rough price for extension of 400sq foot to extend our kitchen and add a playroom (little people are taking over my house) roscommon area.
    The extension would be to the side and rear of the house and would include knocking out external wall and supporting this. If we were talking €100 per sq ft what kind of finish would this get? All done and wrapped up or would this be just builders finish?
    Other half nearly had a heart attack when I told him we would need about 50grand, could buy a new 2000sq ft house in our estate for that price a year ago (needless to say there's none left) would this be an accurate enough price?
    Any advice would b great!

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭PGL

Hi folks

I have a similar query to missmoxy86, but it is more of a hypothetical scenario in my case.

I am currently house hunting in the general Lucan area and am in search of a 4 bed semi d. To put our own stamp on such a house we would like to have a new spacious and bright kitchen with an island and all new appliances and fittings etc to the rear of the house. Most houses we have viewed to date typically have the kitchen and diningroom next door to each other (separated by a wall), with the kitchen extending out approx 2m beyond the back wall of the dining room. We would like to "square off" the rear of the house and extend by maybe a further 2m, aswell as removing some or all of the wall separating the kitchen and dining room. This would mean having a ground floor extension of approx 17m squared.

Given these plans, we will need to have a ball park figure in our head which we will need to factor in when bidding for houses.

Would it be possible for someone to provide a high level ball park price range to cover structural work and also interior furnishes? I can appreciate the cost of internal furnihes is highly variable, but we would be looking for a "middle of the road" standard of presses, appliances etc i.e. not budget, but not top of the range either.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

@PGL. You need to be budgeting around E30K (+). Might sound a lot, but there is quite a lot of structural work in what you propose to do and also I assume you need to factor in the cost of a new kitchen too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭hairyslug

Im going into this totally blind so any help would be great,
    We need to add on a kitchen (12sqm) sittingroom (20sqm) and a hall(2sqm), we will also be knocking through the wall in our current kitchen which backs on to a bedroom to make it 1 room, this would need a skylight too.
    A fireplace will need to closed off and a partition will need to go up between our current sitting room and kitchen to turn it into a bedroom.
    We would be turning a current ulitity room into a wet room.

We have a budget of about 36k, if finances are tight we can do the kitchen in stages, the main priorities are to get the bedroom and sitting room sorted.

We are just looking for a ball park figure, this is being done for a housing adaptation grant and we don't want to get our hopes up and then realise that it cant be done.
    AFAIK no planning permission is needed (please correct me if wrong) all the work is going on at the rear and inline with the house, bar a window at the front of the house being changed.

Thanks, and all criticism is constructive as we have never done this before and all the help is appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Coat22

Hi All,

I too am looking at building an extension to the side of my house. Probable size would be 25 SQ M.

It will be a children’s play room and eventually a study/ second living room for the kids to hang out in when they’re older so no special fittings required other than electrics. I will probably move the under stairs lav to the new extension as am thinking the entrance to the new build would be through where that is at the moment so some small plumbing work needed also as would the requirement to move existing down pipes etc which are coming down the side of the house.

Other features I am thinking of at this point are:

• Bay window to front of extension and window to back
    • 1-2 roof windows

I am thinking 25-30k should be sufficient for this but would be interested in hearing opinions. Also for costs quoted on here – I assume most are bulding costs, ie the costs of architects, planning applications etc are on top of this?

Thanks for your help.

Coat22

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭thimble

I see a rough price of €100 per square foot being quoted here for an extension. Just wondering if a two storey extension would be expected to be more or less expensive per square foot than single storey? For example, if building a two storey extension with a footprint of 300 sq ft (so 600 sq ft for the two storeys), could the same back of an envelope calculation of €100 per sq ft be used as if one was building a single storey extension with a footprint of 600 sq ft?

Or would the two storey job be more expensive (per square foot) because it's more complex work/needs sturdier foundations? Or cheaper because doing the foundation and roof stuff is where the expense lies, and it's comparatively cost effective per square foot to put two storeys in between rather than one?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,749 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

thimble wrote: »
    I see a rough price of €100 per square foot being quoted here for an extension. Just wondering if a two storey extension would be expected to be more or less expensive per square foot than single storey? For example, if building a two storey extension with a footprint of 300 sq ft (so 600 sq ft for the two storeys), could the same back of an envelope calculation of €100 per sq ft be used as if one was building a single storey extension with a footprint of 600 sq ft?

Or would the two storey job be more expensive (per square foot) because it's more complex work/needs sturdier foundations? Or cheaper because doing the foundation and roof stuff is where the expense lies, and it's comparatively cost effective per square foot to put two storeys in between rather than one?

Thanks!

Two storey is better value. Half the foundations, half the roof. ..

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭thimble

Thanks - that makes sense.
    Although looking at this thread maybe I need to think about a higher ballpark baseline figure than €100/sq ft anyway, seeing as what I have in mind is on the extension rather than McMansion scale.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 SPC 01

I have found this thread very beneficial and I'm interested if anyone can help me. I am based in Australia and am embarking to renovate & extend a house I have in Kilmore area of Wexford. All architect/structural engineering work is done and planning permission approved. The extension will be a 2 level (with mezzanine) of approximately 40m2 together with an interior renovation/remodeling of existing 3 br bungalow (new kitchen/bathrooms etc - not high end) I have received a quote of Euro220,000 that seems very expensive. can anyone recommend builders they have used for similar work done that I may approach?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 2day

I want to revamp a 3 bed semi which also has a converted garage witha flat roof. Im considering extending above the garage and maybe extending kitchen / dining room, either building a sun room or just extending out. Taking out a wall between kitchen and diner. House needs insulation. And we have a long wishnlist. Its a 1970s house and in good condition. I have a budget of 65k. Do you think you would get much done fot this budget. I am not sure if I I should use an Architect? An engineer did a structural report and says I could save money by avoiding Architect. He could design and suoervise job?. Any advice welcome

thanks

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

2day wrote: »
    An engineer did a structural report and says I could save money by avoiding Architect.

...in the short term...probably!

The engineer obviously has a vested interest in that nugget of advice!!!

Your budget sounds too small for what you would like to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 2day

Is there much difference in cost in doing a wooden structure extension above a converted garage or a stanadrd block structure?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Handsandtools

2day wrote: »
    I want to revamp a 3 bed semi which also has a converted garage witha flat roof. Im considering extending above the garage and maybe extending kitchen / dining room, either building a sun room or just extending out. Taking out a wall between kitchen and diner. House needs insulation. And we have a long wishnlist. Its a 1970s house and in good condition. I have a budget of 65k. Do you think you would get much done fot this budget. I am not sure if I I should use an Architect? An engineer did a structural report and says I could save money by avoiding Architect. He could design and suoervise job?. Any advice welcome

thanks
    You will never save money by avoiding Architect, because You will spend more time and money trying to figure out what You want, than explaining it to the builders, than changing your mind etc., etc., etc. From my experience better take architect and save your time, trust me You not ready to replace architect and construction management team only if you do it your self for next 10 years.

Advertisement