Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Punching a woman - Justified or not? - MOD WARNING FIRST POST

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭beano345

I'm more the black Knight type, but I'll leave ye at it. I have an enormous calming effect on people anyway, which is good - hugely reduces the need for rowdiness.

Doesn't matter to me what type of knight you are everyone has a right to defend themselves

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭GenieOz

bumper234 wrote: »
    Didn't **** up at all, meant to hit her and was clinical in the finish. Defended myself in a dangerous situation as i will always do. Also he was being sarcastic.....you must have missed that what with the rose tinted glasses and all ;)

Are you Colin Farrell?

"A bottle? I wouldn't bother!" What a scene :D
    Pretty sure it was posted earlier in this thread!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    Okay, I see where you're coming from(No, not Donegal :)). If you work in the nightclub business and have to deal with a lot of hairy situations, you would want to restrain yourself.

But can you not see how a young man in a nightclub who just saw his friend getting floored for nothing might not have that same kind of restrainment?
    I used to see them not having that sort of restrainment all the time.;) Out of that game seven years now, thankfully.

Doesn't make it right in my book though. Once you lift your hand to punch anyone, male or female, you are the aggressor. You are in the wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

HugsiePie wrote: »
    Apes are our genetic cousins. We're not actually descended from each other. In fact what lead us to survive and not other species of humans (there were far more than just the neanderthals) was our enlarged brain that could function and think and plan ahead. The neanderthals are bit of an exception to this......but basically this has nothing to do with anything

Anyways......evolution YAY FOR US
    It's not that we're descended from apes. we literally are apes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

Yeah call the guards:rolleyes:

Why the rolleyes at the suggestion to call the Gardai? That has the two-fold advantage of the assailants name going on record, and the OP hasn't put themselves at risk of being charged with assault either. "I was only defending my mate" doesn't cut it with Gardai and well you know it.

It's not about having "authority" it's about whether it's right or not to hit a woman in the act of defence. In ops position you say you would have walked away and called the guards, maybe you would maybe you wouldn't.

I have done in similar situations bumper. I can honestly say I've never felt the need to hit a woman though, and I've already admitted that twice I've violently assaulted males and I've felt ashamed of my behaviour afterwards. I don't think hitting a woman is ever justified tbh (and please don't come back with any silly scenarios, the answer will still be 'no' regardless).

Personally i would have done the same as OP, does that make me one of those "special sort of cnut" you refer to or just someone who lives in the real world?

No bumper it doesn't, because the special sort of cnut I referred to is the type of guy who doesn't give a shìt about knocking seven bells out of someone. You clearly do, because you wouldn't have done the job you did for as long as you did otherwise, and you wouldn't be here defending the OPs actions if you didn't give a shìt about your own actions, notwithstanding the fact that you're here defending your own actions, and actually asking me for my opinion of you as a person based on your actions.

I can't make that sort of judgement call on the internet because I simply don't know you well enough, nor have I seen you in action, but I do know that if you were the special sort of cnut I'm referring to, you wouldn't have made an appearance in this thread because you wouldn't have given a shìt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

I'm more the black Knight type, but I'll leave ye at it. I have an enormous calming effect on people anyway, which is good - hugely reduces the need for rowdiness.

It'd be great if all rowdiness was easily calmed and people reacted in well thought you manners, but that isn't the case.
    riveratom wrote: »
    None of us were there but surely the first instinct would have been to either restrain the woman, or push her in the case that it was clear she was going to attack his friend again.

It may not have been the first instinct but it would have been preferable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

I used to see them not having that sort of restrainment all the time.;) Out of that game seven years now, thankfully.

Doesn't make it right in my book though. Once you lift your hand to punch anyone, male or female, you are the aggressor. You are in the wrong.

How are you the aggressor if you are defending yourself or someone you care about from attack?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

Czarcasm wrote: »
    Why the rolleyes at the suggestion to call the Gardai? That has the two-fold advantage of the assailants name going on record.

That's assuming they make it out before the end of the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

justified
    I can't stand this crap of women thinking their untouchable

I was in court "for my course study at the time" we had to sit in on trials as part of our projects

one of the cases was a women who got punched on a night out by a fella

the fella said he was defending himself as she was punching him around

I mean for f sake, he looked alot worse then she did
    and her main defence was "I am a women he hit me" and the judge took her side

if a women throws a few digs at me I can tell ya now I'd floor them with 1 punch,
    its just as scummy if a girl hits a fella , women or not if they can throw a punch they can bloody well take one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Stavros Murphy

Ironic really that all this started with a lad looking to score who ended up fisting a heavy girl for a jealous box. Isn't the internet wonderful. You get to hear all sorts.

• Advertisement

There's only one thing scummier than an unprovoked attack, that's an unprovoked attack when the attacker thinks they won't be hit back.
    The only people I've ever seen doing this are little scumbags who run off to their friends and a certain kind of woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭cmore123

I'd say that if she comes over and wallops someone like the way you describe, she deserves the same back. But not from you.

It was quite likely Arthur Guinness talking.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

How are you the aggressor if you are defending yourself or someone you care about from attack?
    How do you defend yourself by punching someone? A jab is the only defensive punch I know of, unless there are more I don't (?) and even that is a pretty attacking strike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭carraig2

Ironic really that all this started with a lad looking to score who ended up fisting a heavy girl for a jealous box. Isn't the internet wonderful. You get to hear all sorts.

How about this slant on things:
    OP trying to get the score (he admitted this) tried several wans (he admitted this) got nowhere, back to chat up female friend hoping to get the score from her, other wan comes in and belts wan #1 no hope of the score now so in frustration he hits the wan that scuppered his score.
    Ok I made this pt of view up.
    Any takers?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Steven81

Away from the OP hitting the woman it was a retaliation. Lads get a bad name on a night out but women like the one he hit are a major part in a lot of these rows. The lady like figures are gone with women matching lads pints for pints or having a bottle of wine prior to going out.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭tim3000

If a big girl hit a female friend of mine of or a female member of my family, then I think I would probably react similar to the OP. I dont like fighting or anything of the sort but if it was an unprovoked attack and it left my friend with a bloody nose then I don't see why the aggressor should walk away unharmed. Not all women are delicate flowers after all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

How do you defend yourself by punching someone? A jab is the only defensive punch I know of, unless there are more I don't (?) and even that is a pretty attacking strike.

A defensive strike would be anything that stops an attacker from attacking.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,562 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Lets say somebody hits you and runs away. Is it okay to spend 5 minutes chasing them and then punch them? How about if you wait until the next day and then punch them?

I'd join a gym, build up my upper body and hit her from behind with a stick.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭whupdedo

A defensive strike would be anything that stops an attacker from attacking.

Which the original poster did by stopping the girl attacking his friend, if he had put it a bit better in posts he might not be such a villain, but I do admit the more he posted the more he let himself down

An interesting thread let down by the original posters sometimes moronic arguments about teaching her a lesson and referring to some men as gay or hair pullers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

The best thing would be to try avoid the kind of situation if possible or worse case if it happens restrain them, maybe put them off balance, unless it was a frenzy, the only women I would step in to defend this in a more extensive way from someone are my wife, my mother and my sister, otherwise you wouldnt know how any party would respond even the person you are trying to defend.
    If it was some kind of sustained attack, Id still probably go for trying to block them, any weapon like a bottle and it was the above people then I think anyone would be justified in something more.
    Its an easy thing to say what to do when you're attacked by suprise as I have been on a few occasions.

But Id be very wary as a bloke of hitting a woman even if it seemed or was justified in defense of, it could go badly against a bloke, it would want to be a sustained or violent attack. From security, to gardai, scumbag friends of the attacker or even white knights, it could go badly for some bloke doing or thinking they are doing the right thing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40 gillmelly

I've seen many's a woman start a fight just for the kick of seeing a man getting his head kicked in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭sopretty

gillmelly wrote: »
    I've seen many's a woman start a fight just for the kick of seeing a man getting his head kicked in.

What sort of classy burds are y'all mixing with?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

sopretty wrote: »
    What sort of classy burds are y'all mixing with?

Probably the D4 burds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Its to stop the attack, its well accepted form of defense in law. One good punch could stun you or knock you out and then you get the whole head beat off you. If for example you punch back after the first punch then that's defensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭The Highwayman

You started this thread to get justification for punching a woman?

How sad.

No he had justification but you as a woman feel he does not.

Many women who act like this do so because they think they know a man will not hit back, welcome to equality girls.

Would here be an issue if it were a small guy 5'0 and OP 6'0? no because they are both male. Don't think men and women bruise and bleed differently?

If you can throw one you can take one,

No he had justification but you as a woman feel he does not.

Many women who act like this do so because they think they know a man will not hit back, welcome to equality girls.

Would here be an issue if it were a small guy 5'0 and OP 6'0? no because they are both male. Don't think men and women bruise and bleed differently?

If you can throw one you can take one,

Women are anatomically different to Neanderthals ahem......men on this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭WilyCoyote

Christ!:confused:

WilyCoyote wrote: »
    Christ!:confused:

Is that news to you?

Such blatant sexism.

• Advertisement

GenieOz wrote: »
    Such blatant sexism.

Would you like me to start with the ovaries, fallopian tubes and womb or should I start with the muscle to fat ratio?

Advertisement