Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sean Moncrieff - Newstalk

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

In fairness, sometimes someone will text in to criticize him and he'll say 'fair enough' but most that do are usually talking sh*ite and it's funny to hear him take the piss out of them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Lapin wrote: »

And that American woman with the shrill voice he has on every second day plugging her latest book always has me reaching for the dial. She must be the most prolific writer of books on the planet. Some people will have you believe it's a different woman every time but I'm not convinced. ;)

There she is on now talking about leezure time even when Sean isn't presenting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭6781

The woman filling in for Sean yesterday is terrible. I think Hook gets her on at times too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭6781

Henwin wrote: »
    I really like his show, it gives people an opportunity to listen to a talk show that isn't politically based. It always has unusual stories or people on it, Stories that we wouldnt have otherwise hear. I reckon most people have their fair share of news and politics from other shows like morning ireland, pat kenny etc.
    Sean is an excellent interviewer in my opinion. If you listen to other interviewers they would seem like they have a list of questions and stick to them without listening to the answers. Sean converses with the person, like he is having a chat and he is very funny. The movies and booze slot i love as well as paulo.
    I reckon he wud be excellent as a presenter of the late late show.
    My fav show on the radio
    Have to agree with that, although I think he has a liberal political agenda on some issues but it's not in your face.

That woman. The American author with the shrill voice is on again now.

Her latest book is about voices from the internet underground.

Feck knows what she'll come up with for her next one.

No doubt we'll find out tomorrow or Monday when she's on again !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭les succulent ducks

madmaggie wrote: »
    I couldn't take anymore Joe Duffy, the misery was wearing me down.

Ha Ha. This made me chuckle......

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

I enjoy listening to his show on my way home from work. I like the segments with Paulo & Movies and Booze in particular. I think Sean is a good presenter. Otoh, I don't like when they have suggestions for what to watch on telly etc. This happens at the end of the programme.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭washiskin

I have to say I enjoy his presenting style immensely and he does a very good interview with guests & book hawkers. He comes across as less self-indulgent than other presenters too.

At the risk of being the contrarian here I think the segment with Paulo Tulio is a complete crock. He seems to be of the opinion most listeners have never eaten anything more exotic than a ritz cracker and I wonder if he is given any advance notice of the questions being sent in as he can't answer a lot of them. Recently he was bemoaning the lack of Rigatoni in the shops here. I have been able to buy it in Tesco & Spar for at least the past year.
    Maybe I'm being unfair but I find him complacent in this slot. :rolleyes:

Sorry to offend all you Paulo fans. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭WindmillWarrior

Love the show. Love Sean. He's a breath of fresh air most of the time. Albeit he's been on quite a few years now at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,569 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Good God, I hope Sean getting a decent few quid for this Crossfire effort.

What an unbelievable waste of talent!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I like him to a point, but not when he tries to be wacky and vulgar, you know when he has guests on talking about riding and breast size's? He's not Howard Stern, it just feels awkward.

In more serious show topics he sometimes tends to veer off into Libtard territory, where he won't accept opposing opinions and starts acting smug and smarmy to the interviewee.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭foodaholic

I don't rate Paulo either. He doesn't seem to know a lot of questions - the texters usually have to text in the right answer.

Love movies and booze

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

hahah Duncan Stewart going postal on Newstalk at the moment! Meltdown mde hes in!.
    They hauled back Ivan to take over the interview as the co host was pretty much slaughtered there.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭mylastparadigm

califano wrote: »
    hahah Duncan Stewart going postal on Newstalk at the moment! Meltdown mde hes in!.
    They hauled back Ivan to take over the interview as the co host was pretty much slaughtered there.

Meltdown? He made a show of the presenters, put them in their box.
    The country could do with a few 'meltdowns' in high places.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭buckfasterer

Dear God, it's a pretentiousness overload on the radio at the minute!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Vorenus400

Is the guy who was filling in today, the same guy from Talking History on Sundays? He seemed very dry. There was no humour about him. Plus, did he say early on that he was filling in for moncrieff for the week? I really hope not. Between him and Tara Duggan, they suck any fun out of the show

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Vorenus400 wrote: »
    Is the guy who was filling in today, the same guy from Talking History on Sunday

It's Jonathon McCrea from Futureproof on a saturday,
    Is Sean making another television programme? He doesn't usually miss this much time.

It's Jonathon McCrea from Futureproof on a saturday,
    Is Sean making another television programme? He doesn't usually miss this much time.

Thanks for that, knew i heard him at weekend. I hope Sean isnt gone too long. I notice when he is gone for a few days, he usually is back for Friday Movies and Booze.
    The Crossfire tv show isnt great. Its more gimmicky than an actual quiz show. I think Sean could do well on a good quiz show or talk show but he seems to be with TV3 so thats not likely to happen anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Always liked Sean Moncrieff! He's an intelligent, clever presenter, presenting smart radio for an audience that he never needs to talk down to. A genuinely nice guy in person too, he's one of the few presenters on Irish radio who really could cut it with the best of them on the likes of BBC Radio 4 and is quite possibly Newstalk's biggest asset.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Mr Pseudonym

Bard wrote: »
    Always liked Sean Moncrieff! He's an intelligent, clever presenter, presenting smart radio for an audience that he never needs to talk down to. A genuinely nice guy in person too, he's one of the few presenters on Irish radio who really could cut it with the best of them on the likes of BBC Radio 4 and is quite possibly Newstalk's biggest asset.

Erm...are you aware of the tone of Radio 4? You could make the case for his being suited to Radio 2, but the output of R4 is content-led rather than presenter-led.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

Vorenus400 wrote: »
    Thanks for that, knew i heard him at weekend. hope Sean isnt gone too long. I notice when he is gone for a few days, he usually is back for Friday Movies and Booze.
    The Crossfire tv show isnt great. Its more gimmicky than an actual quiz show. I think Sean could do well on a good quiz show or talk show but he seems to be with TV3 so thats not likely to happen anytime soon.

Me too! The second I turn on the show, if I don't hear his "ehh", I tune out!

I am a huge fan of his. I find the show very fun and light, but also informative. I am not the most political, so I learn a lot from the show. I also love the ecclectic mix of farming, parenting, etc. My only one critique would be that although I enjoy the book reviews and interviews that go with them, it would be nice to hear more 'local' stuff. I have also had some trouble in the past finding books in Ireland that he has featured on the show, which is annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

ElleEm wrote: »

I am a huge fan of his. I find the show very fun and light, but also informative. I am not the most political, so I learn a lot from the show. I also love the ecclectic mix of farming, parenting, etc. My only one critique would be that although I enjoy the book reviews and interviews that go with them, it would be nice to hear more 'local' stuff. I have also had some trouble in the past finding books in Ireland that he has featured on the show, which is annoying.

The trouble is, it's much easier to find nutters in America than it is to find them on this side of the pond. Hence the reason why he interviews so many Yanks.

The trouble is, it's much easier to find nutters in America than it is to find them on this side of the pond. Hence the reason why he interviews so many Yanks.

I'ts only few yanks really.

And then that American one with the shrill voice that's on every other day. She always says good morning to Sean when he says good afternoon.

I'm convinced it's the same woman all the time and won't be told otherwise. :)

She spends her days writing mad books that nobody ever buys and plugging them on radio stations !

ElleEm wrote: »

I think his show is one of the only ones that really wont work with another presenter. He is the fulcrum of the show. All the topics are kinda boring or at times condescending without his insights despite the researchers.

I love the history pieces. I especially like the worldwide view of history. I get sick of Irish Historians discussing the 1916 rising or the War of Independence. Irish history seems to be like RTE, you never criticise another historian.
    I started reading BBC History magazine due to an article/book that was discussed on the show and I will always be thankful for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

Lapin wrote: »
    I'ts only few yanks really.

And then that American one with the shrill voice that's on every other day. She always says good morning to Sean when he says good afternoon.

I'm convinced it's the same woman all the time and won't be told otherwise. :)
    She spends her days writing mad books that nobody ever buys and plugging them on radio stations !

Jesus. How many times do you need to make this entirely trivial point?!

It's as bad as the "eh eh not chew badge" guy at this stage...

Erm...are you aware of the tone of Radio 4? You could make the case for his being suited to Radio 2, but the output of R4 is content-led rather than presenter-led.

Perfectly aware, thanks. My comment was in relation to his high level of professionalism compared to most Irish presenters.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,436 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Meltdown? He made a show of the presenters, put them in their box.
    The country could do with a few 'meltdowns' in high places.

He didn't "put them in their box", he threw a childish tantrum and made an utter idiot of himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭johnnyvegas22

i love this show, sean is a brilliant presenter, but some of the features need to be updated, i am not a fan of paulio tullio, he should be on the right hook and the movie girl is so critical of movies that are not aimed at her,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Mr Pseudonym

Bard wrote: »
    Perfectly aware, thanks. My comment was in relation to his high level of professionalism compared to most Irish presenters.

"Always liked Sean Moncrieff! He's an intelligent, clever presenter, presenting smart radio for an audience that he never needs to talk down to. A genuinely nice guy in person too, he's one of the few presenters on Irish radio who really could cut it with the best of them on the likes of BBC Radio 4 and is quite possibly Newstalk's biggest asset."

I think you're wrong to cite his "professionalism" as setting him apart from other Irish presenters: O'Rourke, Kenny, MI team, Crowley, Lawlor, Byrne, Carville, etc, are all "professional" and well prepared.

Your original post, though, makes no mention of his "professionalism", and instead champions his intelligence and niceness.

• Advertisement

I think you're wrong to cite his "professionalism" as setting him apart from other Irish presenters: O'Rourke, Kenny, MI team, Crowley, Lawlor, Byrne, Carville, etc, are all "professional" and well prepared.

Okayyy.... Think I'm wrong all you like, but I didn't set him apart from those you mentioned. I said he was "one of the few... (etc.)". So are most of those you mentioned.
    Your original post, though, makes no mention of his "professionalism", and instead champions his intelligence and niceness.
    Yes, he's a very intelligent and nice guy. Incidentally, it was my suggestion that he could "really cut it with the best of them on the likes of BBC Radio 4" that was in relation to his professionalism. No, I didn't mention the actual word specifically, but I thought it was obvious enough.

Any chance of turning the pedantry level down a notch now? Cheers.

Advertisement