Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hip labral tear

Options
  • 06-09-2013 5:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭

Hi

I have being diagnosed with a hip labral tear after an MRI and X-ray being done by a orthopedic consultant.

Originally had really poor movement and flexibility and quite a lot of pain in my feet from running. Moreover had alot of pain down my arse from squats. The range of motion of both hips are very poor as well. I do quite a lot of running and feel with last few weeks I am unable to push past the pain like I use to

The consultant would like to do a hip arthroscopy with key hole to repair the damage.

I am reading up a lot about labral tear in the hip and i can see one of the primary symptoms is groin pain. I don't feel much any notable pain in that region there. However its extremely tender as noted by physios.

With the last few weeks, sitting down for long period over 30 minutes is causing a lot of pain down back of my leg, hip flexor and arse.

I would just like to clue in with others here, that had or has this condition.

The big question on my mind is, should I have groin pain to be considering such an operation ?

Thanks in advance for any help ye may offerhttp://b-static.net/vbulletin/images/icons/icon12.png

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭weekaizer

I had hip arthroscopies done on both my hips, and the first symptom I had was groin pain, if I lay on my back with a ball in between my knees and squeezed I had terrible pain in both my groins..
    To answer your question (im not a doctor) I would imagine you should have some sort of hip/groin pain...although if you are having issues with your hip alignment that in turn may affect your running Style which in turn could affect you feet, I would recommend you get an MRI arthogram with dye injected into joint as the dye will show up any tears, this is what I had done and its a pretty solid diagnosis then...

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭TKD SC

Hi, I tore my labrum nearly 5 years ago now, got it confirmed with MRI arthogram with dye 3 years ago. Option was to see how things go or to operate. So I've been seeing how it goes the last 3 years!

Pain was more like discomfort / stifness in my hip flexor muscle at front - I believe a lot of this is more due to tight muscles and scar tissue as opposed to the tear itself, hence put off surgery as would prefer to avoid it.

I'm making a big effort again recently though with mobility work on the hip etc, as my hip has started giving way once or twice a day, which hadn't happened before. This makes me think that maybe surgery is inevitable. I'll wait and see though as it isn't stopping me doing sports etc yet.

Not sure if that's any help, but can be good to talk to others with hip labral tears I think!
    To weekaizer: how is your hip since you got the surgery? Would you know what insurance plan covers it by the way? Does it fall under day case procedure? My plan is up for renewal soon and want to reduce cost of it!!
    Thanks
    Simon

To weekaizer: how is your hip since you got the surgery? Would you know what insurance plan covers it by the way? Does it fall under day case procedure? My plan is up for renewal soon and want to reduce cost of it!!
    Thanks
    Simon[/quote]

My hips are doing great since I got the surgery! I struggled with the inner groin pain for near 3 years, wasting time with Physios, physical therapists, a prolotherapist, osteopaths and various "groin experts". Even had an operation for gilmores groin which was IMO wrongly diagnosed.. €3500 wasted.
    I am 24 and play senior club football but when I first took this injury I abstained from football for near 9 months, got Physio once a week, only physical activity was walking and upper body weights. Soon realized I was getting nowhere so after I was about to give up on the whole thing I tried a Orthopaedic consultant based in Whitfield clinic, Waterford. I have vhi coverage. I had to pay €105 for my initial hip x ray then paid whatever the initial consultant fee for his opinion. From there on vhi covered everything including the arthogram, the 2 operations which had to be done 3-4 weeks apart, plus check x rays post operative and all the usual hospital rates. I had to stay in one night after each operation as this is his protocol. Physio showed me exercises as soon as I woke from anaesthetic and was not groggy.
    I was of course sore for a few days but after 4 days I was off crutches and in 11 weeks after the 2nd op, I was back playing Gaelic football.. A year and a half later and I have had no issues other than an ankle injury ATM!.
    My mate has just had a similar op performed in santry 2 weeks ago so I will watch with interest as to how he gets on in comparison!
    Hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭TKD SC

weekaizer wrote: »

My hips are doing great since I got the surgery! and in 11 weeks after the 2nd op, I was back playing Gaelic football.. A year and a half later and I have had no issues other than an ankle injury ATM!.
    My mate has just had a similar op performed in santry 2 weeks ago so I will watch with interest as to how he gets on in comparison!
    Hope this helps!

That's great, I would be tempted to get the surgery done but keep putting it off! 11 weeks isn't too bad either before back playing. I saw the guy in Santry so interesting to see how your mate gets on...
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭roadrunnermick

Hi Guys ,

Who in Waterford and Santry are ye seeing and are they any good. Was going to seek a 2nd opinion.

Thanks again for the responses

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Bull76

Hi,

Sports Surgery Clinic (SSC) Santry is where I had my op. Mr. Kevin Mulhall I believe was the surgeon. I was in pain 24/7 and as soon as the surgery was done no pain. Physio and back to exercising (Running) after 10 weeks.

Regards,
    Bull76.

Mr pat carton did my surgery in Waterford clinic. He is very thorough and seems to have good levels of experience in what he does.. He has a special technique in his surgery which means his patients recover and heal quicker than most others... I had to travel from donegal to Waterford about 5 times including my follow up appointments but was definitely worth the trips!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 physiogeek

I had surgery done by Pat Carton in Whitfield, Waterford too and am recovering really well 1 year down the line. I am back playing to my full potential now. I have friends who have went elsewhere who didnt have such good results. Pat Carton is really thorough and gives you all of his time.

Just over mine 6 weeks ago, Done it in the Mater private Cork . I feel very good and making great progress.

The hospital and consultant Declan Bowler were really good and took great care in explaining everything and after care.

I am attending physio at the moment and making good progress. Just wondering can I get some input.

I am considering combining hydrotherapy and normal physio with 2 seasons a week. Any thoughts ?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 cornygall

Mr pat carton did my surgery in Waterford clinic. He is very thorough and seems to have good levels of experience in what he does.. He has a special technique in his surgery which means his patients recover and heal quicker than most others... I had to travel from donegal to Waterford about 5 times including my follow up appointments but was definitely worth the trips!

Just reading through the posts here, I have had groin injurys this past 2years could not get rid off it even took a year out and when came back lasted 2matches and left groin went again, sharp stabbing pains was the first I noticed before would go completely while striking a long ball, I was told to go up to see an osteopath by the name of bosco reid who knew straight away it was my hips the was causing the groin problem and says I had very poor flexibility in the hips and advised me to retire from football if I wanted to have my hips for another 30years and will be lookin at arthritis, am only 26... I went to get xrays and showed up reduction in joint space on hips so went and got MRI SCANS in letterkenny and surgeon o 'rourke says that wear and tear and labral tear plus bony bits floatin about showed up on results. He says thst would prob need keyhole surgery for the labral tear but says I could be waiting long enough goin through with medical card, am just wondering did wear and tear show up on youre MRI results? Or was it just a case off you having a labral tear and needed to get it sorted?

• Advertisement

I was told by pat Carton after my surgery that my hips were actually in very good condition, he showed me photos from the scope which showed a fair bit of bruising but structurally the bones were ok. The labrum was repaired and it still feels good 2 years later.
    Btw I have also been with Bosco and he also advised me to retire!.

I was told by pat Carton after my surgery that my hips were actually in very good condition, he showed me photos from the scope which showed a fair bit of bruising but structurally the bones were ok. The labrum was repaired and it still feels good 2 years later.
    Btw I have also been with Bosco and he also advised me

jes ya think he wouldnt have told ya to retire if youre hips arent that bad? Am goin up fri to see him, gonna let him know my MRI results, how did you manage to get a labral tear anyway? Does youre hips still be sore and stiff after games?I know when I played my last full 90minutes the week b4 the groin went again I was extreamly sore and stiff in both hips after match... were you waiting long to get the surgery done once you decided to go with pat carton?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

ive been told very recently that I could have a femoral impingement which on reading can cause laberal tear.

again, I dont have groin pain as such but I am very tight in the rec fem hip flexor. what I do get is awful spasm in the hips/ front hip flexor especially ive ive been sitting too long.

can anyone give me an idea of cost? ive no health insurance. im wondering should I sign up now and wait the 5/6 months before I get anything done!

thehamo wrote: »
    ive been told very recently that I could have a femoral impingement which on reading can cause laberal tear.

again, I dont have groin pain as such but I am very tight in the rec fem hip flexor. what I do get is awful spasm in the hips/ front hip flexor especially ive ive been sitting too long.

can anyone give me an idea of cost? ive no health insurance. im wondering should I sign up now and wait the 5/6 months before I get anything done!

First get a referral to good experienced consultant. An MRI with contrast with guided cortisone shot should be enough to indicate if a hip scope is worth doing.

In terms of cost the VHI covered me so not really sure of the true cost.

I am a week after my 2nd Opperations, having had my left side being done before. The big cost to me was going to a good Physio once a week and joining a swimming pool.

You should contact an health insurer once you know a diagnosis. I would think there is an exclusionary period for claims in any case with health insurance

I would think you maybe waiting in the public health system quite a bit otherwise

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

First get a referral to good experienced consultant. An MRI with contrast with guided cortisone shot should be enough to indicate if a hip scope is worth doing.

In terms of cost the VHI covered me so not really sure of the true cost.

I am a week after my 2nd Opperations, having had my left side being done before. The big cost to me was going to a good Physio once a week and joining a swimming pool.

You should contact an health insurer once you know a diagnosis. I would think there is an exclusionary period for claims in any case with health insurance

I would think you maybe waiting in the public health system quite a bit otherwise

looking at investing in insurance alright. theres a 6 month exclusion period for claims but id imagine I'd be waiting that long on public treatment.

problem with gettimg the Mri now is that if u have any pre-disposed health conditions youve to wait 5 years!! think id rather wait the 6 months...

Bull76 wrote: »
    Hi,

Sports Surgery Clinic (SSC) Santry is where I had my op. Mr. Kevin Mulhall I believe was the surgeon. I was in pain 24/7 and as soon as the surgery was done no pain. Physio and back to exercising (Running) after 10 weeks.

Regards,
    Bull76.

Hi

Am in two minds weather to go to santry or hip and groin clinic for my surgery for labral tear... am going towards santry because its not as far away, just wondering whats the protocol with santry regarding surgery..is it over nite stay after op?did u need to go back many times to see how rehab was going etc? How is yr groin/hip now

cornygall wrote: »
    Hi

Am in two minds weather to go to santry or hip and groin clinic for my surgery for labral tear... am going towards santry because its not as far away, just wondering whats the protocol with santry regarding surgery..is it over nite stay after op?did u need to go back many times to see how rehab was going etc? How is yr groin/hip now

I had mine down in Waterford clinic. It is an overnight stay in hospital alright and I went back after 3 months and a year, I've been meaning to go back as physiotherapist usually does hip measurements from before and after surgery but I missed a few measurement sessions now but not really bothered as my hips feels very strong all the while. I've had no setbacks thank god and touch wood!

I had mine down in Waterford clinic. It is an overnight stay in hospital alright and I went back after 3 months and a year, I've been meaning to go back as physiotherapist usually does hip measurements from before and after surgery but I missed a few measurement sessions now but not really bothered as my hips feels very strong all the while. I've had no setbacks thank god and touch wood!

How long does it take by car say from letterkenny to waterford roughly do ya mind? Aftet yr consultation with pat carton did ya have to wait long for call up to surgery?
    Waterford kinda a balls from donegal to get to thats why am thinkin santry but iv heard good reports about pat carton thats why tempted to go with him.

How long does it take by car say from letterkenny to waterford roughly do ya mind? Aftet yr consultation with pat carton did ya have to wait long for call up to surgery?
    Waterford kinda a balls from donegal to get to thats why am thinkin santry but iv heard good reports about pat carton thats why tempted to go with him.

From Letterkenny to Waterford your talking 4 and a half hours even at a steady pace but all plain sailing motorways straight into Waterford. Can't remember exact dates but first consultation was around November, had the MRI in January and the first op in April and the second hip 3 weeks later so wasn't too bad, was back playing then 11 weeks after the second op. It is a long drive but I certainly would be going back should I ever have more bother. As for Santry I went there, had 2 separate mri's (without contrast) and they never mentioned surgery to me at all, only recommended Physio.

Edit; I probably could have got earlier dates for the surgery but had to arrange leave with work but can't remember exactly as it's over 2 years ago now!

From Letterkenny to Waterford your talking 4 and a half hours even at a steady pace but all plain sailing motorways straight into Waterford. Can't remember exact dates but first consultation was around November, had the MRI in January and the first op in April and the second hip 3 weeks later so wasn't too bad, was back playing then 11 weeks after the second op. It is a long drive but I certainly would be going back should I ever have more bother. As for Santry I went there, had 2 separate mri's (without contrast) and they never mentioned surgery to me at all, only recommended Physio.

Edit; I probably could have got earlier dates for the surgery but had to arrange leave with work but can't remember exactly as it's over 2 years ago now!

Went to see my doctor for referral today he says pat carton definatly man to go to... he sent lads down b4 to him... could he not do the mra artrogram on the same day as the the consultation? save me going down again for consultation. ?..

• Advertisement

Went to see my doctor for referral today he says pat carton definatly man to go to... he sent lads down b4 to him... could he not do the mra artrogram on the same day as the the consultation? save me going down again for consultation. ?..

It's worth asking him, or his secretary if that's possible definitely!

• Registered Users Posts: 38 mimihand

Hi

I'm not sure if this thread is still active but thought id post it anyway. I had one hip done last year in Santry Sports Clinic (end of Aug 2013). I had hip pain for about 1 year beforehand so I was lucky to get a diagnosed and surgery lined up within the year - some people suffer a lot longer before finding out what is wrong. The hip went down hill very fast and in the months before the op I couldn't walk much at all, by this I mean, walking up the hall in my home was too much. I had a limp and walked with my leg inwards as any other position just killed me! (Was a pity as it was the best summer we had gotten in years!). I had to sleep with a pillow between my legs and even the pain while turning in my sleep would wake me at times.

So I was DELIGHTED to get surgery - it couldn't have been much worse! He did warn me that 3 out of 4 are successful so that odds are in your favour but its worth noting its not a 100% successful. To be honest I would have agreed to a THR at that point.

Tom McCarthy was my surgeon and he was very good. I was travelling from Clare and he was very accommodating with my apts regarding my travel time.

I had the op Monday morning to repair hip impingement and torn labrum (couldn't stitch it so was a debris for finish). That evening they let me WALK to the toilet with crutches! The following morning I walked to the bathroom and had a shower (without help). I got a few exercises to do for the following two weeks and then was told to go to a chartered physiotherapist for the next 12 weeks (I think). They gave me an outlined programme to give to them to follow.

I met with Tom 2 weeks after the procedure and then again 6 months later. I was on 2 crutches for 2 weeks and 1 crutch for a week or so after that (cant remember exactly).

In my experience, the surgery was the best thing I ever did as I now have my life back again. I still go to a sports therapist about once a month though for a rub down, and I still have some catching/pain in the operated hip depending on what way I move it. Recovery is tough and seems slow but it is worth it. Unfortunately my other hip is torn but not bad enough for surgery (no impingement present), so I have to live with the discomfort for now..and continue to pay for sports therapists!
    Hoping to try for (first) baby soon so time will tell how the torn and repaired hip will feel! :(
    As my experience has been positive, as soon as he feels my other hip is bad enough for surgery I will go for it straight away, I don't see the point in waiting as all that happens in the meantime is wear and tear/arthritis.

Tom McCarthy arranged this for me for my 2nd hip. Not sure if this is the norm, I think he hurried it along for me as I was due surgery on the other hip the following week as he wanted to see the full picture.

mimihand wrote: »
    Tom McCarthy arranged this for me for my 2nd hip. Not sure if this is the norm, I think he hurried it along for me as I was due surgery on the other hip the following week as he wanted to see the full picture.

I hope the 2nd hip op is a success for you, how long was it b4 you could go back driving after your first hip was done? I am a full time bus driver just wondering how long would I be off work for.... how did you manage to get hip impingement in your hip in the first place?

QUOTE: "I hope the 2nd hip op is a success for you, how long was it b4 you could go back driving after your first hip was done? I am a full time bus driver just wondering how long would I be off work for.... how did you manage to get hip impingement in your hip in the first place?"

From what I understand you are born with a hip impingement, or else you develop it during your growth spurt in puberty.
    Regarding other hip - not sure if or when I will have surgery on other hip for now, I just have to get on with it really, until it becomes more painful.

I was able to drive short distances (15mins) after 2-3 weeks.
    About 3 weeks after operations I did do a long drive (3hrs 15mins) and I was very sore for a while after I got out of the car. I was limping for about a half hr. I cant remember when the pain from driving went away but it was there for a good while, like a couple of months. So I'm not sure how you would get on if you were to drive all day. Everyone's recovery is different though.

Where are you getting yours done?

I can't remember what I was advised insurance wise but I felt ok to drive as soon as I came off my crutches which was about 3-4 days.

Just wondering , did everyone here do much Physio or hydro after there Opperations ?
    Cheers
    Mike

First 2 weeks you do exercises at home that they give you.
    After the 2 weeks I went to a chartered phyiso for the next 10 weeks or so...I cant remember exactly. At first I went to physio ever week and then every 2 weeks and then no more.
    However, they do not give any hands on treatment, just demonstrate the exercises you are to do (apt will take about 15-20mins). In my case, I needed treatment on the muscles to help them adjust after the operation, and for them to recover from the poor muscle function/habits due to walking incorrectly for years from the impingement, and the year of hoping/dragging my leg around when I had the tear and waiting on the operation.

I am just over 7 months post operation and still go to a sports physio about once a month for a rub down. Id would say if I didn't have a tear in my other hip I would probably not have to see him anymore, but unfortunately I do.

mimihand wrote: »
    QUOTE: "I hope the 2nd hip op is a success for you, how long was it b4 you could go back driving after your first hip was done? I am a full time bus driver just wondering how long would I be off work for.... how did you manage to get hip impingement in your hip in the first place?"

From what I understand you are born with a hip impingement, or else you develop it during your growth spurt in puberty.
    Regarding other hip - not sure if or when I will have surgery on other hip for now, I just have to get on with it really, until it becomes more

I was able to drive short distances (15mins) after 2-3 weeks.
    About 3 weeks after operations I did do a long drive (3hrs 15mins) and I was very sore for a while after I got out of the car. I was limping for about a half hr. I cant remember when the pain from driving went away but it was there for a good while, like a couple of months. So I'm not sure how you would get on if you were to drive all day. Everyone's recovery is different though.

Where are you getting yours done?

I just got a consuultation appointment today to see pat carton in the hip and groin clinic in waterford in 3weeks time, so gonna see what he says aboout my hip impingement and labral tear. Hopefully he will get to the bottom off the last few years off hell with groin problems , more than likely he will send me for hip arthroscopy...
    I also have bony fragments adjacent to the labrum did any off youse have stuff like that floating about your labrum?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 bchaps 17

Hi just new to this any thing good or bad about Pat carton would be helpful please, I am due to have hip replacement in 2 weeks .Cheers

Advertisement