Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hip labral tear

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭subscriber

Nol87 wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

I've been diagnosed with a labral tear too. I'm wondering if any of you add an anterior thigh and anterior knee pain with ur labral tear? Ive add two Injections but I am unsure if my knee pain is coming from my labral tear or something else.

Hopefully we l hear from u 😊

Thanks guys

Hey Nol87,

I had a labral repair on my left hip 8 months ago and had made a full 100% recovery from it but alas now I'm nearly certain that sometime in the past 6 weeks that I've retorn it on the same side again... only this time around my thigh and knee on the same side are very effected also. Experiencing swelling and ALOT of pain. The hip or the knee really won't tolerate any amount of walking over 20 mins never mind any exercise.

I'll hopefully be seeing Mr Carton within the next two weeks, I'll update then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 AlexAlexa

Hi there.I've seen dr.Carton and he suggested me a hip arthroscpy .could I ask how much it cost as I don't have health insurance. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 17 cornygall

Will set you back about 6grand a hip...

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭duffalosoldier

Had an astroscopy 7years ago. Went back playing ball and outside some manageable hip flexor pain I was fine afterwards. Last year I did my Achilles so out for 10months. Since I've gone back playing I'm finding a lot of muscle wastage and pain in my hip flexor.

Im torn between pushing hard to strengthen it or completely resting between games as I'm honestly not sure if either works! Would love to hear any general advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭size5

Had an astroscopy 7years ago. Went back playing ball and outside some manageable hip flexor pain I was fine afterwards. Last year I did my Achilles so out for 10months. Since I've gone back playing I'm finding a lot of muscle wastage and pain in my hip flexor.

Im torn between pushing hard to strengthen it or completely resting between games as I'm honestly not sure if either works! Would love to hear any general advice!

Ok heres my general advise from someone in the fitness industry and someone whom has a hip impingement. My suggestion would definitely be NOT to "completely rest" it. After all for the pain to come back there is obviously misalingment somewhere in ankles, or hips and to completely rest it is not going to solve the problem.

To solve the issue you need to ascertain what muscles are weak, which muscle are been over used and are compensating for the weaker muscles. combination of mobilisation, stretching and strengthing.

My advise find a therapist/PT, get yourself accessed, identify whats weak/strong and get sorted. Thought be carful that the football is causing too much damage.

Best of luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭duffalosoldier

size5 wrote: »
    Ok heres my general advise from someone in the fitness industry and someone whom has a hip impingement. My suggestion would definitely be NOT to "completely rest" it. After all for the pain to come back there is obviously misalingment somewhere in ankles, or hips and to completely rest it is not going to solve the problem.

To solve the issue you need to ascertain what muscles are weak, which muscle are been over used and are compensating for the weaker muscles. combination of mobilisation, stretching and strengthing.

My advise find a therapist/PT, get yourself accessed, identify whats weak/strong and get sorted. Thought be carful that the football is causing too much damage.

Best of luck

Thanks for this - seems to follow what I've been told which is to strengthen. I'm doing Pilates now which is working well but band-work is somehow having the opposite affect. The pain only occurs when I'm active so resting keeps it painfree. Gong to get a scan on it in a few weeks anyway so that will tell its own story I'm sure.
    Thanks again

subscriber wrote: »
    Hey Nol87,

I had a labral repair on my left hip 8 months ago and had made a full 100% recovery from it but alas now I'm nearly certain that sometime in the past 6 weeks that I've retorn it on the same side again... only this time around my thigh and knee on the same side are very effected also. Experiencing swelling and ALOT of pain. The hip or the knee really won't tolerate any amount of walking over 20 mins never mind any exercise.

I'll hopefully be seeing Mr Carton within the next two weeks, I'll update then.

Hi just reading your post Their how is your hip now? What did Mr Carton say about it? I have problems with my right hip had both done 3 years ago but my right hip flares up now and again if walk more than 20 min or cycle more than 20 min in gym.. very annoying.

Hey, I seen him two weeks ago for an arthrogram MRI scan which involves injecting a contrast dye into the hip and scanning it under MRI. Result being that I have put an additional tear in the "capsule" of the hip and thankfully the labrum looks intact which is good news. I had the labrum tear repaired in August of last year and got 5 months fully healthy before tearing this capsule in February of this year. Anyway, he said the recovery from this capsule tear will be far less at only 2/3 weeks and that he would refer to this type of procedure as a "housekeeping" procedure just repair the little tear in the capsule, flush out the joint with sterile solution and to shave down any bits of scar tissue that may be remaining. A small procedure in comparison with the extent of the labrum repair last year. He couldn`t guarantee me that he won`t have to do any work on the labrum during the procedure until he inspects it with his own eyes on the arthroscope camera but he said that will be unlikely from he can tell on the MRI

I booked to have it done on September 15th. He had much earlier appointments but I`m trying to get a project at work finished up before I go for it so left myself the next 5 weeks to do so.

Its my own fault really that this capsule tear has happened to be honest. I done the one maneuver of my hip that he instructed me not to do and that was excessively rotatate the hip externally / outward. I was doing a yoga class at the time and performed a posture that required me to move my hip in this direction and no sooner had I it done, I realized what I was doing and at the same time, felt the hip instantly "pop". A stupid stupid mistake on my behalf, not one I`ll be making a second time.

How are you fixed?

atleast you know their is somerhing wrong from MRI and you can get it sorted, i got my right hip done 2nd and TBH the first few days the pain was no where near as bad as the left hip so I came off the crutches after 7 days it was 10 days before I came off them with left hip.. the next day I had to go back on the crutches for a week had serious sharp pain in my hip when moved a certain way.because my right hip felt so good at the start I think I might have been doing to much post op exercises to soon to quickly and my right hip reacted badly to it.. everything was slow healing with the bad hip the first few month I just knew something wasn't right.. eventually got back jogging after about 3months and everything seemed to be going well again and about 6 months in went to Liverpool on my stag party went go Karting as one off my activities, when came back home my 2hips were sore for a week and went back jogging I couldn't do the same running at all, did plenty off rest and then resumed running but the pain on the outside off my right hip kept flaring up could hardly turn at corners so I knew something wasn't right, to cut a long story short went back down to see Pat Carton and got the MrI with Dye and he says Everything seems to have healed well going by MRI results to my surprise.. he said to go away for 6 weeks and work on my external rotation as it was weak and if that didn't help that he would be happy to operate again.. I decided against another operation because I didn't have the money.. so for The past couple of years now I've been living with this hip pain, theirs nights I can't lie on one side to long at night or my hip will be sore. To be fair the stiffness I had in hips is completely gone so it has been a success that way. good luck in September just take it easy afterwards be in no rush coming off crutches to early😉👍

cornygall wrote: »
    atleast you know their is somerhing wrong from MRI and you can get it sorted, i got my right hip done 2nd and TBH the first few days the pain was no where near as bad as the left hip so I came off the crutches after 7 days it was 10 days before I came off them with left hip.. the next day I had to go back on the crutches for a week had serious sharp pain in my hip when moved a certain way.because my right hip felt so good at the start I think I might have been doing to much post op exercises to soon to quickly and my right hip reacted badly to it.. everything was slow healing with the bad hip the first few month I just knew something wasn't right.. eventually got back jogging after about 3months and everything seemed to be going well again and about 6 months in went to Liverpool on my stag party went go Karting as one off my activities, when came back home my 2hips were sore for a week and went back jogging I couldn't do the same running at all, did plenty off rest and then resumed running but the pain on the outside off my right hip kept flaring up could hardly turn at corners so I knew something wasn't right, to cut a long story short went back down to see Pat Carton and got the MrI with Dye and he says Everything seems to have healed well going by MRI results to my surprise.. he said to go away for 6 weeks and work on my external rotation as it was weak and if that didn't help that he would be happy to operate again.. I decided against another operation because I didn't have the money.. so for The past couple of years now I've been living with this hip pain, theirs nights I can't lie on one side to long at night or my hip will be sore. To be fair the stiffness I had in hips is completely gone so it has been a success that way. good luck in September just take it easy afterwards be in no rush coming off crutches to early😉👍

This next procedure on my hip will actually be my fifth orthopedic surgery in then past 5 years believe it or not so I`m pretty used to being in rehab. I`ve had my lower back operated on twice for a collapsed disc with screws and rods placed to stabilize the spine, then a scope surgery to the right shoulder for impingement syndrome developed from swimming, the left hip scope last August and now heading into this capsule repair with Mr. Carton next month.

I`m only 29 years old like.. I am at odds as to why my body has broken down soo much over the last few years. I never did an ounce of sports growing up with the exception of a bit of skateboarding as a child/ teenager and then at the age of 24 went into regular competitive triathlon having absolutely no base of fitness or body strength behind me. I was training up to 15 hours a week some weeks and I guess my body just wasn`t able for it hence all the injuries.

I`ve had soo many rehabs where I gained confidence, pushed on with the exercises only for my body to react and come down in pain again setting me back in the recovery so I am totally with you on this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 roo365

Hi,
    I had bad groin pain at the start of the year. This continued and I eventually was referred to Dr. Cashman in the Mater Private. I had a scan on right hip which came up signs of labral tear and FAI. I had a cortisone injection in this side which improved it. Pain continued in my left groin & hip flexor and I got arthrogram on left hi which showed up labral tear and FAI. I had cortisone injection in left side and attempted to return to some activity after 3 weeks. I continue to have severe pain in hip flexor during intense activity. Its fairly manageable and pain free as long as I'm not upping the activity levels at training and matches. I'm currently doing a strengthening and flexibility programme trying to loosen and strengthening muscles. I'm only 24 and have been playing hurling/football all my life.

Does anybody have any experience in surgery with Dr. Cashman?

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭roadrunnermick

My advice , don't run in to surgery thinking that the results will be great , lot of people appear to have worst issues after surgery.
    Get someone like Eanna Falvey first before you make any decesion
    Check sound cloud out for the offthe ball podcast about the growth of hip surgery

Eanna has for me being the best money I have ever spent and as last resort I got revision done last few weeks back in Santry and feel great after . But took 3 years of issues after the first operation
    Wish I can across Eanna first time before I jumped at it
    But this Opperations was a last resort !

Conservative approach works trust me

• Registered Users Posts: 9 roo365

My advice , don't run in to surgery thinking that the results will be great , lot of people appear to have worst issues after surgery.
    Get someone like Eanna Falvey first before you make any decesion
    Check sound cloud out for the offthe ball podcast about the growth of hip surgery

Eanna has for me being the best money I have ever spent and as last resort I got revision done last few weeks back in Santry and feel great after . But took 3 years of issues after the first operation
    Wish I can across Eanna first time before I jumped at it
    But this Opperations was a last resort !

Conservative approach works trust me
    Thanks for that reply.
    I'm keen not to rush into surgery. I'd much prefer to go down the rehab route. Dr Cashman in the Mater seems not to be as sports orientated as Eanna Falvey
    Did you have a revision procedure after a few operations?

Hello again everyone,

So I`m a few days out of my second hip arthroscopy surgery. Both to the left hip with the right hip having never been a problem.

I had this done by Mr. Carton in the Whitfield again. Report from himself said that he observed quiet a large body of loose cartilage within the joint which was repaired. There was also some additional scarring on the top of the ball of the hip joint which was smoothed down again. (Unsure if this was scar tissue built up after the first procedure or if it was a new occurrence - was too high on hospital meds at the time to think to ask the question!) The labrum itself was intact since it first had it repaired last year but he mentioned that he placed one additional suture in it just to be sure to be sure.

All in all, he described it as a "housekeeping" procedure and said there was no significant damage, but just enough to cause low lying chronic symptoms which would match up with what I was experiencing over the last 9 months. The pain since re-occurrence back in January was definitely at a much lower level than that of last year but was always a constant background hindrance. It was exacerbated by exercise and excess walking more than anything.

In terms of recovery, he said that I can expect power to return to the hip much quicker this time, but that I still have to follow the full 16 week recovery rehabilitation program on a week to week basis. once again. I was surprised by this as when I had my consultation pre-surgery, I was told I`d be good to go in 3/4 weeks post op but obviously this meant enough power to walk, climb stairs, sit up and down from a chair ect....as opposed to total recovery. It was really emphasized to me both Mr. Carton himself and the physiotherapist about reigning in the activity for the next 16 weeks....that the hip will feel much stronger much quicker than it did after the last rocedure and the temptation will be to push on with the physio / exercise but this needs to be avoided to allow proper healing.. Gotta take things nice and slowly despite how good I may feel at any given stage.

That`s all from me for the moment.

Hope everyone else is well......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Does anyone have a run down of what the 16 week recovery involves?

dashoonage wrote: »
    Does anyone have a run down of what the 16 week recovery involves?

Mr. Carton`s clinic has its own website which I will link to now: http://www.hipandgroinclinic.ie/hip-surgery-physiotherapy/

There is 4 links on that website under the rehab section:
    1. Core Muscles"
    2. Adductor group of muscles
    3. Main hip muscles
    4. Adductor strengthening and stretching.

The 16 week recovery plan is taken from these four links. They are the exact same exercises. Only difference between the 16 week plan and these links is the plan tells you at what stage post-op you can progress onto each next set of exercises.

If you are not post-op, I`d imagine this wouldn`t be off too much relevance to you although it may require a bit of trial and error to find a baseline to begin from.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 ashb0435

Hey, 7 months post op for labral tear repair of the right hip and was all going well until last few weeks. Was helping someone out at a festival and was on my feet for 10 hours straight doing a lot of twists, turns and bending (prob not the wisest thing to do).

I have been in constant pain ever since. When i last saw my physio a few months ago he said I should only be concerned if the pain in the groin comes back which it has. The pain got so bad today I got light headed. It's the usual niggling pain with the occasional sharp pains in the groin. My hip is clicking but that never went away after surgery.

Anyone know the chances of a retear? I'm going to my physio next week and i hope it's just soft tissue.

Appreciate people's help. Ashling

ashb0435 wrote: »
    Hey, 7 months post op for labral tear repair of the right hip and was all going well until last few weeks. Was helping someone out at a festival and was on my feet for 10 hours straight doing a lot of twists, turns and bending (prob not the wisest thing to do).

I have been in constant pain ever since. When i last saw my physio a few months ago he said I should only be concerned if the pain in the groin comes back which it has. The pain got so bad today I got light headed. It's the usual niggling pain with the occasional sharp pains in the groin. My hip is clicking but that never went away after surgery.

Anyone know the chances of a retear? I'm going to my physio next week and i hope it's just soft tissue.

Appreciate people's help. Ashling

Hi Ashling.

How did your first labral tear occur? Was it a gradual occurrence or as the result of an event that happened in a moment in time? Did you carry out your rehabilitation program in full since your surgery 7 months ago? Did you keep up strength and conditioning of the effected hip after completing your rehabilitation program or let things slide since then?

I have had both a labral tear one year ago and then a "capsule" tear in the same hip 6 months after I had the labrum repaired. That being said, I had a very significant event with a huge excessive outward rotation of the same hip when the capsule tear occurred. I am not an expert but it would seem excessive to think (to me anyway) that only standing and some regular twisting motions while in a standing position would cause any additional tearing of any cartilage structures inside your hip. I would imagine that the soft tissues of the hip have been stressed out though, especially if it hasnt been accustomed to weight bearing, twisting and bending for such a continuous long period of time such as at the festival.

Have you ever had an arthrogram MRI performed before? This is how I had both of my past injuries within my hip diagnosed. If the physio can`t give an answer or things don`t continue to improve with more rest and or rehab , an arthrogram MRI will tell very quickly if any damage has occurred or not.

In relation to the clicking of the hip. Apparently this is a normal occurrence, in both a healthy and non healthy hip. I have experienced it long before injuring my hip and still have it after two surgeries also. My consultant told me not to be worried about it all.

Hi Ashling.

How did your first labral tear occur? Was it a gradual occurrence or as the result of an event that happened in a moment in time? Did you carry out your rehabilitation program in full since your surgery 7 months ago? Did you keep up strength and conditioning of the effected hip after completing your rehabilitation program or let things slide since then?

I have had both a labral tear one year ago and then a "capsule" tear in the same hip 6 months after I had the labrum repaired. That being said, I had a very significant event with a huge excessive outward rotation of the same hip when the capsule tear occurred. I am not an expert but it would seem excessive to think (to me anyway) that only standing and some regular twisting motions while in a standing position would cause any additional tearing of any cartilage structures inside your hip. I would imagine that the soft tissues of the hip have been stressed out though, especially if it hasnt been accustomed to weight bearing, twisting and bending for such a continuous long period of time such as at the festival.

Have you ever had an arthrogram MRI performed before? This is how I had both of my past injuries within my hip diagnosed. If the physio can`t give an answer or things don`t continue to improve with more rest and or rehab , an arthrogram MRI will tell very quickly if any damage has occurred or not.

In relation to the clicking of the hip. Apparently this is a normal occurrence, in both a healthy and non healthy hip. I have experienced it long before injuring my hip and still have it after two surgeries also. My consultant told me not to be worried about it all.

Hi

Thanks for your reply.

I would have had the tear prior to 2013 but it was masked by a stress fracture of the same hip. 2 years later when I started running again I got pain again in the hip so I went for an mri which said there was a stress reaction but my doc wasn't happy so he sent me to prof mulhall and i had an mr arthrogram 2 years ago which I was diagnosed with the year. Was March this year when I had the op.

I went to physio after the op and started doing aqua aerobics. The aerobics stopped for the summer and I am not due to start back for another few weeks. I was carrying out the exercises from the physio but since July I had starting weaning myself of them as the hip was feeling good.....that said I was never in pain after the op. I would only now do them 2-3 times a week.

I feel it is probably only soft tissue I just want to put my mind at ease aswell. Just wanted to know the chances of a retear. Thanks for all your help though. Hope your recovery is going well.

Ashling

• Advertisement

Hi

Thanks for your reply.

I would have had the tear prior to 2013 but it was masked by a stress fracture of the same hip. 2 years later when I started running again I got pain again in the hip so I went for an mri which said there was a stress reaction but my doc wasn't happy so he sent me to prof mulhall and i had an mr arthrogram 2 years ago which I was diagnosed with the year. Was March this year when I had the op.

I went to physio after the op and started doing aqua aerobics. The aerobics stopped for the summer and I am not due to start back for another few weeks. I was carrying out the exercises from the physio but since July I had starting weaning myself of them as the hip was feeling good.....that said I was never in pain after the op. I would only now do them 2-3 times a week.

I feel it is probably only soft tissue I just want to put my mind at ease aswell. Just wanted to know the chances of a retear. Thanks for all your help though. Hope your recovery is going well.

Ashling

No problems Ashling,

I would say given the big history you have with that hip that it`s most likely soft tissue flare up, certainly sounds like it anyway. It doesn`t sound like you have done anything too wild with your body to cause any big tearing or breaking of the more permanent structures in there.

I done the aqua aerobics myself for recovery from both my labral tear operation and also a two previous lower back surgeries and I have to say, out of all the different therapies I tried, these were a god send. If there is anything I have learned about rehabilitation of injury over these past few years, it`s that rehab should never really end. It should be something that is continuously kept up for life. I find any time I skimp on doing my strength and conditioning exercises for any of my previous injuries, that they tend to niggle a bit and therefore consistency is key.

I hope you start to feel a bit better soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭bsb1971

I would have to add my agreement on skimping of the exercises. I've done the same and am now experiencing niggling pains in my hip (I had labral tear repair by Mr.Carton over two years ago) along with my knees (old football injuries). Dug out my hip exercises tonight and will be reccomencing them tomorrow - seems like a good day, won't have anything else to be doing!!!). No one has ever reccomended aqua aerobics to me, so might have to see if I can find a class somewhere.

bsb1971 wrote: »
    I would have to add my agreement on skimping of the exercises. I've done the same and am now experiencing niggling pains in my hip (I had labral tear repair by Mr.Carton over two years ago) along with my knees (old football injuries). Dug out my hip exercises tonight and will be reccomencing them tomorrow - seems like a good day, won't have anything else to be doing!!!). No one has ever recommended aqua aerobics to me, so might have to see if I can find a class somewhere.

In terms of the aqua aerobics, I have never participated in an "aqua aerobics" class but attended classes for "hydrothearpy" with a physio company here in Galway who ran group classes twice a week.

As per the exercises done in the class, they were prominently done by using a pool noodle.

1. Putting the pool noodle under the foot (Same side as effected hip) and with gentle resistance, raising the leg up to hip height at 90 degrees and back down again. Focus on activation of abdominal muscles and also activation of buttocks muscle. Repeating 10 times.

2. Again, with pool noodle under the foot (same side as effected hip), and with gentle resistance, allowing the noodle to drift away from the front of the body until the tip of the noodle reaches the surface of the water, and then apply moderate pressure to guide back down to neutral standing position. Focus on activation of abdominal muscles and buttocks muscle on same side as effected hip. Repeating 10 times.

3. Again, with pool noodle under the foot (same side as effected hip), and with gentle resistance, allowing the pool noodle to drift away to the side of the body until the tip of the noodle reaches the surface of the water, and then applying moderate pressure to guide back down to neutral standing position. Focus on activation of abdominal muscles and buttocks muscle on same side as effected hip. Repeating 10 times. (Be cautions with this one, start with letting the noodle drift out a few inches for the first few weeks and the progress to allowing the tip of the noodle reach the surface of the water. This one directly works that deep labrum, not just the surrounding tissues and tendons. Allow pain to be your guide...Progress with ease!!)

4. Walking the pool both forward and backwards with activation of both abdominal and buttocks muscles while walking. Note - While walking super super slow I have found that it is possible to engage each buttocks muscle individually while the opposite leg takes a step. ie - while right leg is off the ground and moving forward, left buttocks muscle is activated and vice versa with right buttocks muscle while left leg is taking a step. Takes a bit of concentration at first but its possible.

5. Walking the pool back and forth while side stepping left to right and right to left on the way back down. Applying same principals as mentioned above when taking steps.

6. Progressing based on your own capabilities and pain levels to light jogging of the pool with torso pushed in forward position to meet as much resistance from the water as possible. Abdominal muscles engaged.

Hopefully that`s of some help to people. Difficult enough to describe in writing so hopefully its clear enough. I lived on those exercises for 6 weeks and out of any physio or therapies I tried before, these worked ten times better than any.. for the early stages of acute injury recovery. Needless to say, it`s important to eventually progress to land based exercises and gradually introduce more stessors and progress the overall strength of the hip.

Hey,

So I have been back doing the physio exercises for 3ish weeks now and I am back swimming and doing aqua aerobics. I have also gone back to the physio. The pain has not reduced in fact it is getting worse. It is a deep dull ache literally all over the hip area, I can't pinpoint the exact location. It is the same pain I had pre-op.

My physio and surgeon felt all my pain was symptomatic of the tear and not muscle as my pain was gone post-op.

I have narrowed down the point of the pain starting to a week earlier than I thought when I was getting out of my car and I slipped with the affected leg (right leg) overstretching. With the standing and twisting a week later making the pain worse.

I am frustrated and have been in pain for 6 weeks now. I would really appreciate people's advice and opinion? Could the slip and overstretching of the hip cause more damage than just muscle?

Gut feeling is telling me I need to look more into it.

Thanks for listening
    Ashling

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭April1

I saw Dr Carton a few years ago. He said he couldn't help me. He seem to more interested in sport injuries. My injury was caused by SPD.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 baccante

Hey, I seen him two weeks ago for an arthrogram MRI scan which involves injecting a contrast dye into the hip and scanning it under MRI. Result being that I have put an additional tear in the "capsule" of the hip and thankfully the labrum looks intact which is good news. I had the labrum tear repaired in August of last year and got 5 months fully healthy before tearing this capsule in February of this year. Anyway, he said the recovery from this capsule tear will be far less at only 2/3 weeks and that he would refer to this type of procedure as a "housekeeping" procedure just repair the little tear in the capsule, flush out the joint with sterile solution and to shave down any bits of scar tissue that may be remaining. A small procedure in comparison with the extent of the labrum repair last year. He couldn`t guarantee me that he won`t have to do any work on the labrum during the procedure until he inspects it with his own eyes on the arthroscope camera but he said that will be unlikely from he can tell on the MRI

I booked to have it done on September 15th. He had much earlier appointments but I`m trying to get a project at work finished up before I go for it so left myself the next 5 weeks to do so.

Its my own fault really that this capsule tear has happened to be honest. I done the one maneuver of my hip that he instructed me not to do and that was excessively rotatate the hip externally / outward. I was doing a yoga class at the time and performed a posture that required me to move my hip in this direction and no sooner had I it done, I realized what I was doing and at the same time, felt the hip instantly "pop". A stupid stupid mistake on my behalf, not one I`ll be making a second time.

How are you fixed?

Hi,
    Can I ask you if the procedures you mention above were covered by private health insurance? Need to have hip arthroscopy done but cant figure out if I'm covered for it.
    Thanks

baccante wrote: »
    Hi,
    Can I ask you if the procedures you mention above were covered by private health insurance? Need to have hip arthroscopy done but cant figure out if I'm covered for it.
    Thanks

Hey

No I wasn't covered...depends on your policy. I waited 1year 3months to be seen publicly. All the best with your surgery.

Ash

baccante wrote: »
    Hi,
    Thanks

This just depends on the level of cover with your health insurance provider and would need to check with them...

Hey

No I wasn't covered...depends on your policy. I waited 1year 3months to be seen publicly. All the best with your surgery.

Ash

How are things looking for you at the moment Ash? Any improvements?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 baccante

Hi,
    Thanks for response. Turns out I'm partially covered. Very relieved because I wouldn't be able to stick the discomfort for much longer.

Advertisement