Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How did you get your job?

Options
  • 30-03-2014 9:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭

I have just been thinking about how everybody ended up doing what they do for a living. In this country it seems many a job are sourced by who you know and what you know. Did you study in order to get where you are now? Did someone you know sort you out with the job?

I currently work as a poker dealer. I started playing poker and showed a lot of enthusiasm where I played and got offered the training and the job and have loved it ever since. I would class me getting my job was right place right time kind of thing.

So AH'ers how did you get into your career?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭fupduck

I kinda fell into mine by accident, got a job as Kitchen Porter in the airport, but was being bullied by a manager, the companies solution was to transfer me to the warehouse, been in warehousing best part of 20 yrs now (with different companies and progressive positions)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭MS.ing

I have never got into a cars ear no.

do they even have them :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

How did i get my job or get into my career....two different questions!

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭StinkySocs

I applied for a summer's job as an intern in a bank, while I was studying computer programming...I'm still in the same bank 8 years later...should have stuck with the programming I'd be minted now:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 GuyFawkes

That's the problem for a lot of people - they simply ended up in jobs as opposed to doing something they want or something that even just suits them better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,463 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Applied for grad programme, did interviews, got grad job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

Got degree, got internship which turned into a job.
    Emigrated and acquired international experience at a far bigger company.
    Emigrated again to another country and randomly emailed my boss to personally introduce myself. She asked me to 'start on Monday'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Mickey H

Did interview.
    Did 2nd round interview.
    Did 3rd round interview.

Success.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Stavros Murphy

Watched people digging ditches, became an apprentice ditch digger. Dug ditches for other people, then started digging a few ditches on the side after work, started digging ditches for myself as a self-employed ditch digger, then hired a lad to help dig the ditches quicker.

Got bigger ditches to dig so hired a few more lads to dig them with me, then I started having more lads digging ditches than I could keep track of so I got a girl to keep track of the ditches and the lads, now I spend most of my time getting new ditches to dig, but still dig some myself in case I forget how to dig a ditch and start getting lazy and fat.

I'm starting to forget how to dig a ditch though but happily the eldest lad appears to enjoy digging ditches so he digs them with the lads instead of me. I tend to smoke a lot and drink coffee, and stand watching lads dig ditches.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,743 ✭✭✭Greyfox

GuyFawkes wrote: »
    That's the problem for a lot of people - they simply ended up in jobs as opposed to doing something they want or something that even just suits them better.

I took a year off to figure out what I wanted to do with myself and got a job in customer care...9 years later I'm still working in ccare, its too late now to have a career :(:(:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

Sucked a cock - and I'm a man.:pac:

Sucked a cock - and I'm a man.:pac:

You should start sucking hens - there's more hens than cocks so you'll be kept busier. I'm guessing you're a plumage-hooverer?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Fairly bland way I suppose. Did a degree in something I enjoyed. Luckily got a job straight out of college. Worked it for a few years until I had the required experience. Moved on from there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Got fed up with my old job and looked for what I believed would be the dossiest, most hassle-free and financially rewarding business I could find and set myself up in it.

As Meatloaf says, two outa three ain't bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Ann Landers

GuyFawkes wrote: »

Not everyone gets to do a job they love, I guess!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

I got my job through Boards

Got fed up with my old job and looked for what I believed would be the dossiest, most hassle-free and financially rewarding business I could find and set myself up in it.

You can't leave a gem like that dangling TBM. Gis a hint!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

I hate hate people like you. YOU BASTARD

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Finished a degree in the field, heard via an ex lecturer about a job going locally, applied, got the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

Out of college was only on temp contracts and wanted if move closer to home. Chanced my luck in the place I wanted to work in. Never thought I'd have a hope. Turns out the boss went to school with mammy so I started the following week.

Small town politics at it finest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

I'm starting to forget how to dig a ditch though but happily the eldest lad appears to enjoy digging ditches so he digs them with the lads instead of me. I tend to smoke a lot and drink coffee, and stand watching lads dig ditches.

What part of the Congo you living in? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Ann Landers

This thread must be torture for anyone here who is unemployed.

WikiHow wrote: »
    What part of the Congo you living in? :D

The swampy bit - needs loads of ditches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

You can't leave a gem like that dangling TBM. Gis a hint!
    Ha! Not falling for that one. Years ago a fella set up a mushroom house down the road, made a bleeding fortune so he did. Holiday in Mosney every year, brand new secondhand three year old Datsun Bluebird every couple of years.

But all the townspeople got jealous of him and his fancy ways, and thought to themselves, we want a piece of this sophisticated lifestyle, rocking down to Butlins in our Japanese luxury sedans. And soon every fcuker about the place had a mushroom house, even though half of them didn't know one end of a mushroom from the other, and even less knew what to do with them.

And the arse fell out of the mushroom business and they all lived poorly ever after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

been shoe shinning here in long island since the great crash in "29"

Ha! Not falling for that one. Years ago a fella set up a mushroom house down the road, made a bleeding fortune so he did. Holiday in Mosney every year, brand new secondhand three year old Datsun Bluebird every couple of years.

But all the townspeople got jealous of him and his fancy ways, and thought to themselves, we want a piece of this sophisticated lifestyle, rocking down to Butlins in our Japanese luxury sedans. And soon every fcuker about the place had a mushroom house, even though half of them didn't know one end of a mushroom from the other, and even less knew what to do with them.

And the arse fell out of the mushroom business and they all lived poorly ever after.

Or as a fella once said, if you set up a stall in Ireland selling Hens teeth, within a month there'd be five more copying ya. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Nepotism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

Have experience in the type of work they do, which there are not many of in the country, I interviewed and got it. Two weeks at it. Tomorrow the real work starts, and I'm terrified. But meh I'm only support so feck it.

Experience I suppose is the answer. To get here its just been a matter of people taking a chance on me.

... If you're all alone... do do do do do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Needed a job to pay my way through college. Took full time hours when I finished and am still here two years after finishing my course. Sent out a few job applications in the early days then just got sort of caught in a slump. I'm earning more than enough to live comfortably but hate the job.

Finishing up there on Thursday and getting on a plane. We'll see what the world has to offer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Pretty boring. Applied, got a text asking me to come for an interview, the MD was impressed with me in the interview and asked me to start there and then.

14 months later, I've been promoted twice. Rubbish pay, but easy hours, mostly an easy job, and I met my bf through working there, so can't complain really. They're also happy to adjust my hours to suit me when I decide to go back to college. Could be worse :)

Advertisement