Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How did you get your job?

• 30-03-2014 9:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭

I have just been thinking about how everybody ended up doing what they do for a living. In this country it seems many a job are sourced by who you know and what you know. Did you study in order to get where you are now? Did someone you know sort you out with the job?

I currently work as a poker dealer. I started playing poker and showed a lot of enthusiasm where I played and got offered the training and the job and have loved it ever since. I would class me getting my job was right place right time kind of thing.

So AH'ers how did you get into your career?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭fupduck

I kinda fell into mine by accident, got a job as Kitchen Porter in the airport, but was being bullied by a manager, the companies solution was to transfer me to the warehouse, been in warehousing best part of 20 yrs now (with different companies and progressive positions)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭MS.ing

I have never got into a cars ear no.

do they even have them :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

How did i get my job or get into my career....two different questions!

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭StinkySocs

I applied for a summer's job as an intern in a bank, while I was studying computer programming...I'm still in the same bank 8 years later...should have stuck with the programming I'd be minted now:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 GuyFawkes

That's the problem for a lot of people - they simply ended up in jobs as opposed to doing something they want or something that even just suits them better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,720 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Applied for grad programme, did interviews, got grad job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

Got degree, got internship which turned into a job.
    Emigrated and acquired international experience at a far bigger company.
    Emigrated again to another country and randomly emailed my boss to personally introduce myself. She asked me to 'start on Monday'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Mickey H

Did interview.
    Did 2nd round interview.
    Did 3rd round interview.

Success.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭Stavros Murphy

Watched people digging ditches, became an apprentice ditch digger. Dug ditches for other people, then started digging a few ditches on the side after work, started digging ditches for myself as a self-employed ditch digger, then hired a lad to help dig the ditches quicker.

Got bigger ditches to dig so hired a few more lads to dig them with me, then I started having more lads digging ditches than I could keep track of so I got a girl to keep track of the ditches and the lads, now I spend most of my time getting new ditches to dig, but still dig some myself in case I forget how to dig a ditch and start getting lazy and fat.

I'm starting to forget how to dig a ditch though but happily the eldest lad appears to enjoy digging ditches so he digs them with the lads instead of me. I tend to smoke a lot and drink coffee, and stand watching lads dig ditches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Greyfox

GuyFawkes wrote: »
    That's the problem for a lot of people - they simply ended up in jobs as opposed to doing something they want or something that even just suits them better.

I took a year off to figure out what I wanted to do with myself and got a job in customer care...9 years later I'm still working in ccare, its too late now to have a career :(:(:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

Sucked a cock - and I'm a man.:pac:

Sucked a cock - and I'm a man.:pac:

You should start sucking hens - there's more hens than cocks so you'll be kept busier. I'm guessing you're a plumage-hooverer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Fairly bland way I suppose. Did a degree in something I enjoyed. Luckily got a job straight out of college. Worked it for a few years until I had the required experience. Moved on from there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Got fed up with my old job and looked for what I believed would be the dossiest, most hassle-free and financially rewarding business I could find and set myself up in it.

As Meatloaf says, two outa three ain't bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Ann Landers

Not everyone gets to do a job they love, I guess!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

I got my job through Boards

Got fed up with my old job and looked for what I believed would be the dossiest, most hassle-free and financially rewarding business I could find and set myself up in it.

You can't leave a gem like that dangling TBM. Gis a hint!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

I hate hate people like you. YOU BASTARD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Finished a degree in the field, heard via an ex lecturer about a job going locally, applied, got the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

Out of college was only on temp contracts and wanted if move closer to home. Chanced my luck in the place I wanted to work in. Never thought I'd have a hope. Turns out the boss went to school with mammy so I started the following week.

Small town politics at it finest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

I'm starting to forget how to dig a ditch though but happily the eldest lad appears to enjoy digging ditches so he digs them with the lads instead of me. I tend to smoke a lot and drink coffee, and stand watching lads dig ditches.

What part of the Congo you living in? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Ann Landers

This thread must be torture for anyone here who is unemployed.

WikiHow wrote: »
    What part of the Congo you living in? :D

The swampy bit - needs loads of ditches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

You can't leave a gem like that dangling TBM. Gis a hint!
    Ha! Not falling for that one. Years ago a fella set up a mushroom house down the road, made a bleeding fortune so he did. Holiday in Mosney every year, brand new secondhand three year old Datsun Bluebird every couple of years.

But all the townspeople got jealous of him and his fancy ways, and thought to themselves, we want a piece of this sophisticated lifestyle, rocking down to Butlins in our Japanese luxury sedans. And soon every fcuker about the place had a mushroom house, even though half of them didn't know one end of a mushroom from the other, and even less knew what to do with them.

And the arse fell out of the mushroom business and they all lived poorly ever after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

been shoe shinning here in long island since the great crash in "29"

Ha! Not falling for that one. Years ago a fella set up a mushroom house down the road, made a bleeding fortune so he did. Holiday in Mosney every year, brand new secondhand three year old Datsun Bluebird every couple of years.

But all the townspeople got jealous of him and his fancy ways, and thought to themselves, we want a piece of this sophisticated lifestyle, rocking down to Butlins in our Japanese luxury sedans. And soon every fcuker about the place had a mushroom house, even though half of them didn't know one end of a mushroom from the other, and even less knew what to do with them.

And the arse fell out of the mushroom business and they all lived poorly ever after.

Or as a fella once said, if you set up a stall in Ireland selling Hens teeth, within a month there'd be five more copying ya. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Nepotism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

Have experience in the type of work they do, which there are not many of in the country, I interviewed and got it. Two weeks at it. Tomorrow the real work starts, and I'm terrified. But meh I'm only support so feck it.

Experience I suppose is the answer. To get here its just been a matter of people taking a chance on me.

... If you're all alone... do do do do do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Needed a job to pay my way through college. Took full time hours when I finished and am still here two years after finishing my course. Sent out a few job applications in the early days then just got sort of caught in a slump. I'm earning more than enough to live comfortably but hate the job.

Finishing up there on Thursday and getting on a plane. We'll see what the world has to offer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Pretty boring. Applied, got a text asking me to come for an interview, the MD was impressed with me in the interview and asked me to start there and then.

14 months later, I've been promoted twice. Rubbish pay, but easy hours, mostly an easy job, and I met my bf through working there, so can't complain really. They're also happy to adjust my hours to suit me when I decide to go back to college. Could be worse :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Did apprenticeship , got job, lost it after twenty years.Went to college,unexpectly got a new job.
    Applied for another job , passed an assessment and an interview but during the interview I decided the interviewers were arseholes and wasn't expecting to get that job....I got that job and turned it down.
    Just before that I got placed on a panel for a nicer job , but last month my old contract was extended and was told I was being considered for a new position but its a secret so I'm not telling anyone , tonight however I came close to strangling a client , so on the way home I bought some chips and lucozade so I'm happier now.

I applied for my previous job and got it after doing a practical aptitude test. They closed down about 18 months ago and I got my current job by getting in touch with one of their old clients, who took me on almost immediately. Was so lucky but it was very much a case of "who I knew".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Jizz mopping just runs in my family.

So you could say I followed in my father's sticky footprints.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

Dropped out of college and ended up in FAS ballyfermot cos my dad knew a bloke that worked there and he put me on a course in Microcomputer maintance. That was 20 years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Popescu

Worked part-time as a student. I've had several jobs after my first degree. Read the appointments section in newspapers. Followed up with telephone calls, attended job recruitment fairs, and read professional papers for new openings. I was never unemployed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Frosty McSnowballs

I was always interested in it, as early as I can remember.

Filled out an application form
    Did a medical
    Passed a fitness test
    Passed the interview and was told "we'll call ya"
    Did my LC
    Got a crappy job for 5 months then got called saying "turn up here at this time, bring this, don't bring that"

....14 years later and couldn't be happier!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

Degree
    Grad program
    Got some leadership experience
    Business school
    Interview x4
    New job in industry I always wanted to be involved in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭maguic24

Watched people digging ditches, became an apprentice ditch digger. Dug ditches for other people, then started digging a few ditches on the side after work, started digging ditches for myself as a self-employed ditch digger, then hired a lad to help dig the ditches quicker.

Got bigger ditches to dig so hired a few more lads to dig them with me, then I started having more lads digging ditches than I could keep track of so I got a girl to keep track of the ditches and the lads, now I spend most of my time getting new ditches to dig, but still dig some myself in case I forget how to dig a ditch and start getting lazy and fat.

So much dig and ditches in that comment.....:eek:. I think my brain was doing somersaults reading it.

Greyfox wrote: »
    I took a year off to figure out what I wanted to do with myself and got a job in customer care...9 years later I'm still working in ccare, its too late now to have a career :(:(:(

God no! It's not too late! Not unless you're 60+!?

Look at this way - if you've 20+ (even less) years work left in you, spend it doing something you'd like. Study part-time, something. There's a way. Just go for it. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

I followed some people into the building and sat down at a computer and started typing did this for four weeks. Then they were giving out payslips and I said I didn't get one they said I wasn't on the system so they put me on and gave me a new security card when I said I lost mine. There nine years now.

or maybe it was through linkedin ya I think it was through linkedin.

• Advertisement

God no! It's not too late! Not unless you're 60+!?

Look at this way - if you've 20+ (even less) years work left in you, spend it doing something you'd like. Study part-time, something. There's a way. Just go for it. :)
    +1 million

My job isn't the biggest thing out there but the big difference is that I love doing it. Don't waste your days doing something that you're not overly keen on. :)

Karsini wrote: »
    +1 million

My job isn't the biggest thing out there but the big difference is that I love doing it. Don't waste your days doing something that you're not overly keen on. :)

It'll probably take me 4/5 years to get where I want to be (for a modest salary) but to hell with it, going to do it. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭maguic24

It'll probably take me 4/5 years to get where I want to be (for a modest salary) but to hell with it, going to do it. :)

At least you know where you want to be.....

I want to do everything.......it's very frustrating!! I don't know what I'm at or where I'm going......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

I went into a place my mate was working in to hand in a c.v. The guy at the trade counter had a quick look at it, recognised a few former bosses, and then recognised me. It turns out he is the MD, but back 15 years before that when I dealt with him, we were both spotty 18 yr olds. No interview, started the next morning. My mate strolled into the canteen, saw me and said "what the fcuk are you doing in here!"
    I'm there 5 years now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭Mariasofia

Lots of courses, a keen interest and a teeny tiny sprinkle of who ya know ;)!
    Love love love my job!!!!! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭truedoom

Doyler92 wrote: »
    Did you study in order to get where you are now?

I'm in IT at the moment, mainly because i LOVE technology.

didn't study in college, spent every day since i was about 12 working with computers, trying everything (programming, web design, hardware/software testing, repair, recording, graphic design etc.) and i'm 23 now. It's all stood to me, as i work for a global tech company now. Only problem with this is i don't have an actual degree, that makes the job hunt harder.
    Doyler92 wrote: »
    Did someone you know sort you out with the job? how did you get into your career?

I was on the dole for months about 2 years ago. Moved to galway, got a Jobsbridge as an IT helpdesk/Network admin in an organization in galway. About 2-3 months before that ended i spent every day checking all the job sites and mailing out c.v's.

Luckily i got my current job from doing that. (although i must have sent out 100-200 c.v.'s but only got a handful of interviews).

So, really hard work, experience, and a lot of searching got me where i am today.

truedoom wrote: »
    I'm in IT at the moment, mainly because i LOVE technology.

didn't study in college, spent every day since i was about 12 working with computers, trying everything (programming, web design, hardware/software testing, repair, recording, graphic design etc.) and i'm 23 now. It's all stood to me, as i work for a global tech company now. Only problem with this is i don't have an actual degree, that makes the job hunt harder.
    I'm the very same. Not much on paper but have a keen interest and a lot of experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭pharmaton

I applied for the last five or six jobs I've had, no contacts or anything just cv and cover letter. Actually come to think of it, have never gotten a job through knowing somebody or other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 763 ✭✭✭alfa beta

went to school
    got leaving cert
    went to college
    got a degree in english and philosophy
    stayed in college
    did a masters in english
    emigrated to uk
    saw an ad for a job in a bookshop
    did an interview and worked in a bookshop
    a year later i saw an ad for a management job in a nearby design agency
    did interview and worked in the design agency
    stayed a few years and came back to ireland
    saw an ad for a similar role in an ad agency
    did an interview and worked in an ad agency
    didn't like boss - chucked in job after four weeks
    saw an ad for a job in a direct marketing company
    did an interview and worked in a direct marketing company
    wasn't impressed with company but couldn't chuck another job in so soon after previous - stayed a year just to make sure my cv didn't start looking dodgy
    then i saw an ad for a branding agency in Cork (location was now important)
    did an interview and worked in a branding agency in cork
    realised i was sorta good at writing (which i had known at eighteen and then forgotten over the following decade)
    started writing again - packaging copy, radio ads, websites - anything that needed words
    went freelance and quickly picked up copywriting work from a design agency, an ad agency, a direct marketing company and a branding agency I happily had contacts with
    business went from strength to strength - and then inevitably from interesting and fulfilling to boring and repetitive
    but then herself got pregnant and had a baby and wanted to go back to her work and I said I don't like the idea of a creche
    so without any ad and without any interview, without any experience and without any training, I embarked on what would turn out to be my longest stint in any one position - it was badly paid (in fact it didn't pay at all), the hours were terrible (often involving late nights, early starts and regular broken sleep) and the work itself was often demanding and monotonous

still - i have to say it's been the best job of the lot - he's in school now and I'm so proud of him when he tramps up the steps every morning (not to mention relieved to have 5 hours to myself to get more of that damn novel written - yup that's the next job!)

Hmmm. Got a contract for a hospital pharmacy job at beginning of 4th year of uni. Still there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement