Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How did you get your job?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Very often what we want to do and what we have to do are diametrically opposed. Most people just simply have no choice.

There's a difference between doing what you want to do (we can't all be professional sports player or movie stars) and doing something that makes you happy or add something more than just a salary to your life.

I think the latter is in reach for most people in the western world, and yet plenty of people (like me) just fall or settle in to something that they don't find fulfilling, or worse, actually hate and are too afraid, unmotivated, tired or unsure of themselves to try to make a change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

My Mammy :) used a contact to get me a Summer job back in the day. Luckily I enjoyed it and had an aptitude for it, so I made steady progress. I was always in demand, so I've been able to earn a good living from it. Other circumstances have dictated that I now only work at sporadic intervals, but that suits me at this stage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Axel Lamp

Got approached on LinkedIn

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭hawkwind23

its interesting how the minimum wage jobs get allocated.
    i recently decided on a part time job and applied to a few multinationals
    standard approach was as follows.

fill in online application
    await response and fill in further application with CV and covering letter.
    await response for telephone interview
    do telephone interview and await face to face interview
    attend group interviews lasting several hours with several interviewers taking notes.
    during this time i had to give a 20 minute presentation on a product of choice and join in with team building excercises.
    await further instructions via email and supply numerous documents , references , passports etc
    attend further interview involving a panel of four!!
    await further information in regards induction etc

that was for a one day customer service role in B&Q!!!

for head of dept post , i met someone for lunch , passed an email to HR and elected a start date.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

couldn't attend the second round of interviews as I was going away to Barcelona, but they gave me the job when they found out and sent the contract to be signed before I left...and then I went on holiday, was great. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

Finished college. Applied to 1 job. Got job.

The software industry is cool like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Did 4 years in college getting my degree, did a makeup course that summer which I loved so decided to take a year out before going to do my masters, did a year long course in something I thought would be easy as **** and just be a hobby. After the most stressful year ever, I graduated with three diplomas and loved it so much I couldn't see myself doing anything else. Love it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

I wanted a job that would win me universal respect and admiration.

So I became a management consultant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

Watched people digging ditches, became an apprentice ditch digger. Dug ditches for other people, then started digging a few ditches on the side after work, started digging ditches for myself as a self-employed ditch digger, then hired a lad to help dig the ditches quicker.

Got bigger ditches to dig so hired a few more lads to dig them with me, then I started having more lads digging ditches than I could keep track of so I got a girl to keep track of the ditches and the lads, now I spend most of my time getting new ditches to dig, but still dig some myself in case I forget how to dig a ditch and start getting lazy and fat.

I'm starting to forget how to dig a ditch though but happily the eldest lad appears to enjoy digging ditches so he digs them with the lads instead of me. I tend to smoke a lot and drink coffee, and stand watching lads dig ditches.

dawg diggity

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

I love science. Other people who loved science saw that I loved science and that was that. Having a passion for what you do will get you a lot farther in life than using what you do to get rich.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,543 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Train driver - nepotism

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

It was a case of collect ten crisp packets and become a priest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭ringadingding

Got Chucked out of school, took a job as a pot wash, saw the cooks had more money than me.
    I Wanted to be a cook.
    A cook killed himself, I asked for his job.
    I was a cook.
    Cooked and cooked and cooked and turns out I'm good at it.
    Went from better restaurant to better restaurant to better restaurant working my arse off in each one.
    Became head chef, still working my ass off, but I love it.

The best part is that I've helped many young fellers come up through the ranks.
    I always thought I'd end up in prison, so did everybody else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

Family business which is completely the opposite to what i trained in!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Train driver - nepotism

Noooooo - 'tis genetic engineering

( http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=77FxXIYshpA )

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Claregirl

Late 80's went to London, rented a crappy bedsit my landlady was head of department in a large hospital and gave me a job to make sure I paid the rent every month.

Right place, right time - no experience, qualifications or leaving cert - promoted within a year - under new head of Dept. got excellent references which led to work here in the public sector in the early 90s - I work hard, enjoy my job and have a keen interest in what I do - I've been promoted twice more but that's it for me I can't go any further without that bit of paper that says I've got a degree. Experience, hard work, aptitude and ability count for nothing these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Worked for a web design agency for a year.

Left that to work for a small software place.

That was a waste of time, so I started applying for other jobs.

Around the same time, the business started having cashflow problems and let a few people go, myself included.

One of the other guys there applied to my current company, and he was offered the job pretty quickly while I was still going through a tough interview process with another company.

The other guy decided to start his own business instead, but told me to apply (through an agency) to the company he turned down the job for. He put in a good word for me too AFAIK.

Phone interview and 3 separate face-to-face interviews with different people, and they offered me the job.

Been here about 1.5 years and I love it (most days).

• Registered Users Posts: 24,850 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Was bumming around between call center jobs and this and that. Always wanted to work in aviation as that had been my interest. Ended up getting an interview via an agency for two big players in the world of air freight on the same day. The first interview was a jumped up little prick with small man syndrome who was pure insulting because I didn't have a driving licence at that time and questioned my ability to get to work on time despite never have been late a day in my life for work. An hour later I was interviewed by the competitor who were much more pleasant, they called to offer me the job on my way home in the bus from the interview. The other crowd called soon after to offer same and I had the pleasure to tell them to stick it.

Advertisement