Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farm accident stories...be careful folks!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭wclarke20

Not an accident but a near miss once. Was drawing in silage years ago and i went to drive behind the harvester so i could drop the trailer when he was full and pick up the full one.
    The field was on a steep hill and the harvester driver hit the wrong lever which released the full trailer which went flying down the hill.
    If i was driving behind i reckon it would have been lights out for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭biddy2013

Reggie. wrote: »
    BTW How did you explain that to the OH biddy
    we where not long married-are 17 years this year- i didnt tell him for a day to 2 in case i might find it , he thought it was hillarious:cool: hasnt bought me feck all jewellery since

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭dzer2

Years ago turned over a tractor while bringing in fire wood for the mammy.
    Girl friend gave me a ring and I had it on in work ring got caught in a machine ring split and tore inside of 2 fingers to the bone. Was chopping sticks for the mammy one morning and couldnt get a few to split so got chainsaw and split them that way the saw was really old so when I turned it of the chain kept turning as I was putting it down i tipped a log it cut through the arm all the way to the bone:(

I was building a shed and was back filling a tank when the electrical wire got caught under clay I asked the owner to turn off the power so we could get it out off he went came back after 5 minutes to say he had taken the fuse out pulling out the wire the digger driver scooped out some clay and pulled up the wire. I was found 20 yards away not a scratch but well shaken. He took out the wrong fuse.

Helped the AI man yrs ago to do the heifers and he opened the wrong gate and let the heifers in to where I was standing trapped me against the upright of the crush 4 broken ribs and 129 acres of silage to be baled the sorest day I ever put in.

On tractor brakes after I turned over the tractor I have never had a trator with no brakes or hand brake. It costs nothing to keep these right also pto shaft covers. I bought a new agitator and always kept it in good order I was doing a tank one day and reached over the shaft to turn the spout when the chain on the pto shaft cover broke and caught the sleeve of the jumper. some mess then tore the clothes off me and broke the cover and more broken ribs but that was all.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Jesus Christ lad!! :eek: How are you still alive??!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭I said

dzer2 wrote: »
    Years ago turned over a tractor while bringing in fire wood for the mammy.
    Girl friend gave me a ring and I had it on in work ring got caught in a machine ring split and tore inside of 2 fingers to the bone. Was chopping sticks for the mammy one morning and couldnt get a few to split so got chainsaw and split them that way the saw was really old so when I turned it of the chain kept turning as I was putting it down i tipped a log it cut through the arm all the way to the bone:(

I was building a shed and was back filling a tank when the electrical wire got caught under clay I asked the owner to turn off the power so we could get it out off he went came back after 5 minutes to say he had taken the fuse out pulling out the wire the digger driver scooped out some clay and pulled up the wire. I was found 20 yards away not a scratch but well shaken. He took out the wrong fuse.

Helped the AI man yrs ago to do the heifers and he opened the wrong gate and let the heifers in to where I was standing trapped me against the upright of the crush 4 broken ribs and 129 acres of silage to be baled the sorest day I ever put in.

On tractor brakes after I turned over the tractor I have never had a trator with no brakes or hand brake. It costs nothing to keep these right also pto shaft covers. I bought a new agitator and always kept it in good order I was doing a tank one day and reached over the shaft to turn the spout when the chain on the pto shaft cover broke and caught the sleeve of the jumper. some mess then tore the clothes off me and broke the cover and more broken ribs but that was all.

Are you robofarmer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,343 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

biddy2013 wrote: »
    we where not long married-are 17 years this year- i didnt tell him for a day to 2 in case i might find it , he thought it was hillarious:cool: hasnt bought me feck all jewellery since

Clever man

Muckit wrote: »
    Jesus Christ lad!! :eek: How are you still alive??!! :)

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭case 956

lost top of my finger a year ago with a belt and pulley nd in work one day jack slipped under a lorry and lorry came down nd axle missed my legs by mm, axle stands used from then on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

About 10 years ago I wAs feeding square bales to calves in a field. After finishing and going back home I noticed my wedding ring missing. I panicked and went retracing my steps. All I could remember was half way through feeding taking off my gloves to operate a knife to cut the baking twine. Unfortunately no sign of ring . Later that evening someone suggested a metal detector to try to find ring. Next day I borrowed one from a relative, and went looking . Within 5 minutes of searching a found the ring under a few inches of muck at the foot of the ring feeder, covered and stampled under dung. I was one relieved man. To this day I seldom wear the ring outside farming. Lesson learnt .

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭agriman27

I got knocked down by wild cattle in a mart. One bull in group just leaped up an next thing I'm on the ground with the whole batch going galloping past me. Was lucky didn't hit my head, landed on my knees tore the jeans and had a massive pebble embedded in knee cap lucky didnt break anything ,very sore and stiff for a while. I thought it was bad work on behalf of the mart staff as they all knew the cattle were dangerous and yet they were still let wander around the passages. Marts are dangerous places always watch your back and look out for crazy loopers

• Advertisement

agriman27 wrote: »
    Marts are dangerous places always watch your back and look out for crazy loopers

..... and leave it there to some of the cattle!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,686 ✭✭✭893bet

Fractured skull last year.

Most important thing I learned was that i wasnt covered under my dads insurance. As A family member I had to be named under the policy as a family member. If i had a different last name to my dad I was covered by as an unnamed family member I wasnt covered. Learn something new every day. Week in hospital, partial deaf for two months and headache for a good few weeks!

Still all is well that ends well. Would prefer my hearing to 50 K extra in the bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭Gillespy

This thread is making me feel inadequate. My list is very small, a few stitches in my hand after a wrench slipped and broke ribs after slipping and landing hard on a stone while trying to outrun a few calves that broke out. Nothing really.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,026 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Testing cattle a few years back,one heifer won't bring her head up,I had no stick so stuck my hand in.they all drove forward and my arm was pinned between the upright pillar in crush and a heifers leg.broke my arm,and dislocated my elbow .never felt pain like it till I went to local a and e.doctor sat me on table and after a few goes relocated the elbow ,I was in agony got up off chair and pop it goes again,I passed out with the pain.got operated on,a few pins put in out of action for over 2 months and perfect since.i was working off farm at the time and was out of work on full pay for 7 weeks..was back milking after 5!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Testing cattle a few years back,one heifer won't bring her head up,I had no stick so stuck my hand in.they all drove forward and my arm was pinned between the upright pillar in crush and a heifers leg.broke my arm,and dislocated my elbow .never felt pain like it till I went to local a and e.doctor sat me on table and after a few goes relocated the elbow ,I was in agony got up off chair and pop it goes again,I passed out with the pain.got operated on,a few pins put in out of action for over 2 months and perfect since.i was working off farm at the time and was out of work on full pay for 7 weeks..was back milking after 5!!!

Jesus lucky you weren't farming full time. Labour would gave taken up the 2 months milk check I'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 11,026 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Jesus lucky you weren't farming full time. Labour would gave taken up the 2 months milk check I'd say

Yeadh lucky alright ,learnt a good lesson that day.since then I never take chances with stock and if putting in pto shaft I turn off tractor..you only live once.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

Yeadh lucky alright ,learnt a good lesson that day.since then I never take chances with stock and if putting in pto shaft I turn off tractor..you only live once.

I actually dislocated my index finger when I was putting PTO shaft back on the tanker a few yrs back.
    Had the shaft resting on the draw bar and fell off when I was turning it around to push it onto splines.
    finger caught in Harvey Spicer and pulled it.
    Well sore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Miname

broken fingers, broken nose, broken ribs, crushed foot when the stump of a trailer fell on it, when it tripped off the hitch. cracked knee cap, cut one finger with a chain saw, broken tooth, dislocated shoulder, dislocated fingers, cut the top off my thumb and a couple of prolapsed discs in my back oh and a variety of different stitches . they arent all farming related but after liisting them i think i could seriously do with an office job but then again thats bound to cause depression.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

I know all about broken bones and dislocated joints from doing motocross ha, and by far any of the lads who have dislocated an elbow say its the most painful injury! Passing out was probably the best thing that you could have done ha! 2months isn't 1/2 bad a timeframe to make a full recovery from it either!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

The landini we have has a funny clutch on the PTO, which means when the tractor is running you can't turn the PTO shaft at all to line up the splines, so I always turn it off beforehand anyways. Handy safety feature ha.

And agreed with the you only live once, I must be the only fulltime farmer on this thread who hasn't had any broken bones or anything else big from a farm accident!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Talking to a lad yesterday that was attacked by a bull.
    He says he only survived because when the bull tossed him in the air he came down the other side if a gate and the bull couldn't get him any more. Still, he has two broken legs.

bbam wrote: »
    Talking to a lad yesterday that was attacked by a bull.
    He says he only survived because when the bull tossed him in the air he came down the other side if a gate and the bull couldn't get him any more. Still, he has two broken legs.
    Nasty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 743 ✭✭✭GrandSoftDay

Reggie. wrote: »
    Nasty

Lucky I think!!

Lucky I think!!
    that goes without saying. Imagine crawling away to get help if he didnt have a phone :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

When I first learnt to drive the tractor think I was around 9/10 yrs old. Asked could I take it for a drive in the big field, grand he said but stay in low gear. It was a very old David brown, of course I got brave, into low third, could handle it, kept going up, finally hit high third. Lost control of tractor, couldn't slow it down, hand throttle wouldn't move. Smashed into a stone wall, clutch smashed my left shin, no cab on tractor, hit eye off steering wheel. Massive swelling and bruising on face and all over my body.
    I had great fun going into school a few days later looking like the mitchelin girl!!!

Got my arm caught between two cows one day as they were going out the gate, had a stick that I was shoving them on with, arm caught, pulled collar bone out of socket, pain nearly killed me. Was 12. Broke it three more times since.

Two wheel trailer, attaching to tractor I thought it was on the ball, slipped off and broke my foot. Many other smaller accidents. Not a hope I would leave my daughter (or sons) do the things I did. Very reckless, but things were different then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭linebacker52

Lads just because you have a phone with you doesn't mean mean you are going to be able to use it if anything happens.

I had a heifer calving one Sunday morning no one around so decided to chance getting her in myself got the calf out no problem was just closing back the gate when i got hit from behind I ended up on the ground with the heifer on top of me both hands down my my sides phone in pocket but no hope of getting to it.

Anyway I was lucky the heifer moved and i was able to get out with just a dislocated shoulder it was only when i got to A and E my real problems started.

The point I'm making is always tell someone where you are and what your doing no one would have missed me till the next morning.

I think when you're too near it sometimes you can't see the wood from the trees.

Is not from a farming background and sees full well all the dangers that lurk at every corner in farming, lone working being the biggest one. Her heart does be in her mouth if I haven't texted or rang her and l'm not home. Poor coverage on farm so sometimes she can't get through. It's true sure for all she knows l could be stuck in a ditch somewhere. I just laugh but she has a point.

You need to have an action plan in place if something does go wrong. But which one of us does? Who has a first aid box on the tractor or jeep? I don't but thinking now that I should. You would hope and pray that you never had cause to use it but wouldn't you be damn glad to have it if twas needed? Only came into my head when was reading on another forumabout a lad that brings a first aid kit and a whistle with him when he goes chainsawing in the woods

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭munkus

When I was around 13 I was filling the Ford 3600 with diesel. I used have to have one foot on the front wheel and the other on the door step to reach up to the diesel cap and fill away from there. Wheel must have been wet one day and my foot slipped off and my knee went in against the engine, where the dynamo or starter motor knocked a lump of flesh out of the side of my knee, a euro size hole, deep enough. Lucky it didn't catch the kneecap as it would have made sh1te of it.

Had a 3 yr old Fresian bull throw me up in the air in the middle of a field, he was only playing mind, not trying to kill me.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭kingchess

reading all about the near escapes,many many year ago we had an old ford 6600 and the pto could not be turned off,it was always turning even if the lever was in the off position. anyway the brother was ploughing a field and he had to do some adjusting to the plough,he jumped off the tractor and was leaning over the the front of the plough when his sleeve got caught on the pto,pulling his hand tight to the shaft-if the lever had been in the on position he would have been killed.it took him a few hours to free himself and he needed physical therapy on his hand-this was around 30 years ago but never forgot it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,630 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

There used be a lot more H&S public service type ads, often featuring farming, on RTE years ago, strangely there's very little on now, apart from the odd Bord Gais or Road Safety ad.
    Maybe a website that could show reconstructions that could be viewed by all would be the way to go?

Advertisement