Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Farm accident stories...be careful folks!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Zr105

jt65 wrote: »
    not wishing to go off topic but while on the subject of phones just wondering how many of you have ICE numbers saved ?

http://www.firstaidforeveryone.ie/ice_in_case_of_emergency
    http://www.wikihow.com/Add-ICE-to-Your-Cell-Phone

I have a slight bugbear about this, i think the idea is great, but I've seen to many people harp on about it, then i ask 1 simple question, "does your phone have a pass code lock?" Most say yes i then ask them how is anybody supposed to get the bloody thing then.... Your pas code locked phone wont allow access to contacts...

Better off writing it on a slip of paper and shoving it into back of the phone case or taping it to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭MickeyShtyles

Was servicing a small square baler there about three weeks ago. Big hungover head on me. Head was away with the fairies. After oiling all the chains(used fresh diesel with oil) I decided it'd be a grand idea if I had a smoke..... Overalls caught fire..... Lesson learnt!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Harold Finch

Some shocking carelessness here lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

On reading this thread, if farming was a sport, it would be banned!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Handbrake on tractors seems to be a common one, i hear about near misses all the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,130 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Fractured ribs due to getting caught between a gate and the crush after calving a heifer that turned on me
    Fractured wrist, two broken fingers, and 3 broken toes on 3 different occasions.
    Concussion and a split eyebrow from coming in contact with a horses head.
    Fractured nose due to coming into contact with a pb bulls off hind hoof when I was washing him for a show.
    Several jabs from needles over the years, lots of kicks to shins mostly from calves or foals.
    The most worrying at the time it happened, was a hormone imbalance due to carrying an empty Ralgrow cartridge in my pocket. I was 20 years of age. Apparently the residue was absorbed through my skin. I had several worrying months and visits to a gynaecologist in order to rectify the situation.
    Be very careful handling hormones especially if you are a woman. Obviously the same goes for handling chemicals. I think nowdays people are more aware of the dangers of chemicals and take the necessary precautions.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,363 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

jt65 wrote: »
    not wishing to go off topic but while on the subject of phones just wondering how many of you have ICE numbers saved ?

http://www.firstaidforeveryone.ie/ice_in_case_of_emergency
    http://www.wikihow.com/Add-ICE-to-Your-Cell-Phone

Yeah I have

• Registered Users Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭visatorro

heifer kicked my thumb this evening, this a little swollen! just thinking of the amount of times a cluster might fall off and id leave myself exposed to a kick reaching to get it. i always try stand between cow and calf when moving them but got abit of a buck once. had very close one with a bull before. he went for me and only for his front legs went from under him i was in serious trouble

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭biddy2013

visatorro wrote: »
    heifer kicked my thumb this evening, this a little swollen! just thinking of the amount of times a cluster might fall off and id leave myself exposed to a kick reaching to get it. i always try stand between cow and calf when moving them but got abit of a buck once. had very close one with a bull before. he went for me and only for his front legs went from under him i was in serious trouble
    broke my finger when a cow kicked me while i had my fingers in a pair of scissors

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

biddy2013 wrote: »
    broke my finger when a cow kicked me while i had my fingers in a pair of scissors

Sore I'd say. Broke my nose in 3 places when I was a young lad helping the mother milk. Went under bar to get the cluster and heifer kicked me. Big swollen face for a week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Would ye all wear yer wedding rings or rings in general? Mine is a shade lose and always thinking I'll catch it in something ad pull the finger off me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Zr105

Muckit wrote: »
    Would ye all wear yer wedding rings or rings in general? Mine is a shade lose and always thinking I'll catch it in something ad pull the finger off me!

Long way away from being married but if it ever does happen I'll be refusing a ring... Pictures we were shown on a first aid course back in school was enough to convince me of that.... All the skin striped clean off from where the ring should have been...

calf swallowed my engagement ring, dont wear wedding ring

Wore it for two weeks after the wedding. Got it caught in the loader once and nearly lost the finger so not worn now

Don't wear it anymore, got it caught a few times. then saw photos of a lad whose ring shorted on the terminals of a starter motor. Don't think the finger was saved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

It's known as 'de-gloving'.
    DO NOT Google that term if you're in any way squeamish!

Rings, dangly jewellery (ear-rings, necklaces, etc), loose long hair, and loose/flappy clothing are all significant and well known hazards for machinery operators.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

Did you wait around for it to pass out ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

Had to cut a ring off a buddies finger once where we jumped railings and the spike went up under the ring . Cut skin and all with the snips to get him free .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

According to family legend, many years ago my father was washing his hands after calving a cow and noticed his wedding ring was missing.
    He went back out to the shed, poked about through the cleanings and straw for a bit without success, and then had the bright idea of having a rummage inside the cow.
    The ring was duly found :D

Rovi wrote: »

Rings, dangly jewellery (ear-rings, necklaces, etc), loose long hair, and loose/flappy clothing are all significant and well known hazards for machinery operators.

Nephew got almost totally de-gloved at his work place, between two rollers. The staff in St. James's did a fantastic job putting it back on. Only the nail beds were still connected. Two surgeons came over from Manchester to see the results, so rare was it to save the hand. Had to wear a battery operated vacuum glove contraption to try and keep everything in place. Have photos on my phone, but afraid to look at them............

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

A friend of my mother, her grandchild was killed a couple of years ago when the back piece of a trailer fell on him.

He was a very much loved little dude. He was the result of very many years of planning (it wasn't easy for them) and they're in their forties now, so now he's gone, there won't be another. Not that it would make things any easier, if there was, of course.

It breaks your heart, such a preventable sort of accident. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭farmersfriend

Mine is too loose so it only gets worn for special occasion!!!

moy83 wrote: »
    Did you wait around for it to pass out ?
    i gave up after a few days:rolleyes: some one somewhere probably bought a fr bull calf for feck all and it had my engagement ring in it:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

Rovi wrote: »

No jewellery and wear overalls around machinery

• Registered Users Posts: 15,727 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

My da's jacket got caught up in a spinning PTO shaft once, the jacket was so old and rotten it simply shredded rather than drawing him in.

He turned over an MF35 with a full spreader of fert another time, going up a steep hill on the road.

I had a close shave as a kid walking across a large dung heap on the hardened crust in a neighbour's place before I was spotted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

Do ye're kids go farming?

What rules do you all have. I have two who are like shadows and 2 who don't know whether we have cows or goats. If tractors moving out them up or they can't come to yard. Agitating not allowed down and calving shed strictly off limits. I had to throw my nephew over a wall a few years ago as a fresh Calver charged

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

Do ye're kids go farming?

What rules do you all have. I have two who are like shadows and 2 who don't know whether we have cows or goats. If tractors moving out them up or they can't come to yard. Agitating not allowed down and calving shed strictly off limits. I had to throw my nephew over a wall a few years ago as a fresh Calver charged
    Of all things a fresh calver killed one of the hens the other day, just pinned her up against the wall and I hadnt even noticed them hanging around

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭I said

Priceless still laughing

BTW How did you explain that to the OH biddy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,727 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

No major accidents here, but one bit of advice I'd give to any young person reading this is mind your back. I have chronic back pain which I put down to years of lifting weights around the farm.
    Like all young people I thought I could lift things no bother, but it's a slow and gradual damage that is done and you dont really notice it for years.
    Even new born calves are too heavy to be lifting. If there is a better way of doing it, well worth the little investment or extra time taken.

Did a lifting course once, and a young fella was giving out 'sure what do they want telling us how to lift with our legs? I'll lift stuff any damn way I like':rolleyes:

Advertisement