Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Fathers Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

Hi folks, quick question. My wife went to the dr today about being pregnant- the test said 1-2 weeks. The dr said they no longer do any testing until the 12 week scan. Is this normal.

I find it unusual that she can set a date for birth without checking anything.

Any advice would be great.

I got my positive with a 1-2 weeks. Went to the GP a few days later and told him that I'd had a (well 4:o) positive tests and he was grand with that. He didn't take bloods or do another test himself.
    January wrote: »
    They use the first day of your last period to date you until you get your first scan, they may change the date then if the baby is measuring bigger/smaller. There are really no other tests that need to be done before the twelve week mark.

My due date was given as October 8th and this might change when I have my first scan. Until then thats what we're working off and it was based on the first day of my last period.
    Thanks for that, I thought they would at least do the normal tests in the gp office to make sure she is pregnant before booking a scan.

The only thing the GP did when I was in his office was take my blood pressure, make a note of my weight and ask what hospital I wanted to attend.

I did say to my husband last week that it sometimes seems odd that I haven't had to see anyone about the pregnancy since. He did point out that I'm pregnant not sick so why would I need to see anyone. I know he is right and I suppose its because this is such a big new thing for us (our first baby) that sometimes it seems that more of a fuss should be made:o.

My first appointment with the Coombe is April 1st when I'll be 12+6. I'll see the midwife and get the scan then. My appointment with the Consultant Obstetrician is April 14th.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I did say to my husband last week that it sometimes seems odd that I haven't had to see anyone about the pregnancy since. He did point out that I'm pregnant not sick so why would I need to see anyone. I know he is right and I suppose its because this is such a big new thing for us (our first baby) that sometimes it seems that more of a fuss should be made:o.

We noticed this aswell and I suppose what is a big deal for you and me is just another day for the GP. They do these things over and over and only get involved where there is a problem. They do seem to be good about the scans where they ensure you can see little fingers and toes but in general I would say keep your appointments and if they are not worried then there is (probably) nothing to worry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,998 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Yeah had this as well after my wife went to the doctor early in the pregnancy. It is a bit disconcerting alright as you don't want to tell anyone until after week 12 and you feel a bit clueless as to whether there is something you should be doing!? We toyed with the idea of going for a private early scan in Mount Carmel but didn't in the end. It was only 90euro if I remember correctly. Not sure if there is anywhere else offering early scans like that now that MC is gone?

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Horse1920

I've not posted on here before but read plenty ,so thanks to all who contribute to this forum for all the insights and the questions answered to the random things that nobody asks elsewhere but they do here ..again thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

Yeah had this as well after my wife went to the doctor early in the pregnancy. It is a bit disconcerting alright as you don't want to tell anyone until after week 12 and you feel a bit clueless as to whether there is something you should be doing!? We toyed with the idea of going for a private early scan in Mount Carmel but didn't in the end. It was only 90euro if I remember correctly. Not sure if there is anywhere else offering early scans like that now that MC is gone?

I went to Ultrasound Dimensions in Blackrock for a 3D scan, but they do early scans as well. Google private early scan and it should throw up a few names

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Right now I'm not sure if this thread is helping or scaring the crap out of me :pac:.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭tempnam

Right now I'm not sure if this thread is helping or scaring the crap out of me :pac:.

You'll be grand!

I was terrified before our baby arrived. I'd never been around babies before and knew nothing about how to look after them. I was the baby of my family so don't even have any younger siblings. Plus, I never had any time for kids... couldn't stand being around them!

You just kind of take to it naturally. I still have no time for other people's kids though :pac:

tempnam wrote: »
    You'll be grand!

I was terrified before our baby arrived. I'd never been around babies before and knew nothing about how to look after them. I was the baby of my family so don't even have any younger siblings. Plus, I never had any time for kids... couldn't stand being around them!

You just kind of take to it naturally. I still have no time for other people's kids though :pac:

Cheers I will be in the exact same boat not used to being around kids at all, it will be a shock to the system but can't wait either.

Herself has three young nephews so well more used to it than I am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

You'll be grand, I'll loan you mine before the big event :p

You'll be grand, I'll loan you mine before the big event :p

:pac::pac: cheers how kind of you.

• Advertisement

Cheers I will be in the exact same boat not used to being around kids at all, it will be a shock to the system but can't wait either.

Herself has three young nephews so well more used to it than I am.

I have nephews and nieces, but I never spent much time around them..... still dont! :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

So junior arrived 2 weeks early last week :).

It has been an absolutely mental few days adjusting to firstly being a Dad and then bringing him home. The well wisher visits are just starting to die down now and we are normalising our lives to include a new baby boy. It is the best feeling in the world:)

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭minusthebear

good idea for a thread....wife is a couple of days overdue....I've no idea what's in store for me do I.....

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    So junior arrived 2 weeks early last week :).

It has been an absolutely mental few days adjusting to firstly being a Dad and then bringing him home. The well wisher visits are just starting to die down now and we are normalising our lives to include a new baby boy. It is the best feeling in the world:)

Congratulations Pawwed Rig. and welcome to the club!

good idea for a thread....wife is a couple of days overdue....I've no idea what's in store for me do I.....

Same here, she was due on Saturday just gone. Every little ache and pain is now being discussed and analysed extensively. Didn't think I'd be this anxious for it to happen already!

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭minusthebear

Same here, she was due on Saturday just gone. Every little ache and pain is now being discussed and analysed extensively. Didn't think I'd be this anxious for it to happen already!

yep exact same here...she's getting an examination on Wednesday morning so hopefully that'll get things moving....best of luck yourself

He has already established a habit of pooing 10 minutes after I bath him and change his clothes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Well I have just read this whole thread. Scary stuff and emotional at times with the sad stories.

Herself is 14 weeks on our first. We were up to CUMH and all was good. It was enjoyable except for the wait, which we were warned about before hand and it's a minor detail in any case. Absolutely amazing to see the heart beat and arms and legs, head and even a face. Our parents knew from about 8 weeks but telling extended family and friends was great. Herself also found out that one of her best friends is due the day after her so she has a pregnancy buddy.

She suffered brutal all day sickness up til fairly recently and still can get a bit sick at times. The strangest thing has been her tiredness. She is shattered all the time which means she goes to bed very early. I've the house to myself from about 8pm in the evenings which is very weird.

Overall though it hasn't sunk it I don't think but I am trying my best to be supportive and get a little tingle every now and again that its all real and Ill have a little fishing buddy in september :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Well to be honest you can be sensitive to the fact that they are trying but its not really your issue as 1. information like this more often than not is personal (her issue), i dont know if i could have shared it and 2. you didnt know that they are trying.

This doesnt mean that you go around flaunting it either but you can share with close work colleagues, it is a long way from 40 weeks and very soon the excitement you have no will turn into boredom of waiting and you won't really talk about it all the time.

I second what Calhoun has said.

While you'll obviously be sensitive to your colleague's personal issues, and not be seen to 'boast' about it to her, she can't expect this type of stuff not to be talked about in case it upsets her. It's not as if it's your fault that they are having difficulty, and a rational person will see that she can't 'blame' you for having some exciting news.

Now, putting myself in her position - I would probably be upset too. But I'm sure once she has time to let your news sink in she'll be happy for you.

But, sensitivity to her feelings would be decent of you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Cheers for the posts lads. I've actually removed that paragraph from my post as the wife said it was easy to identify me from the situation (wife's a boardie too :eek:)

Ye are right tho and that's prob best way to handle it.

Anyway, the excitement continues with antenatal classes being booked :)

Bought my first baby related item the weekend. We ordered our buggy/travel system. I'm getting a bit of stick from some quarters because my only input on the one we got was that we got in a colour that matched the car :pac:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

What one did ya buy :p

What one did ya buy :p

Eh I think it was a mothercare one, it ticked all the boxes for what the girlfriend wanted so she was happy and I'm happy enough it matches my car :pac:.

Wasn't to bad either both of us had one4all vouchers which were used on it.

SeaFields wrote: »

Anyway, the excitement continues with antenatal classes being booked :)

Don't expect much... ours wasn't much more than 'the talk' you might have gotten at school!

Actually, that's a bit harsh - there is the opportunity to ask any questions you might have. Also - there was tea & biscuits at ours!

Bought my first baby related item the weekend. We ordered our buggy/travel system. I'm getting a bit of stick from some quarters because my only input on the one we got was that we got in a colour that matched the car :pac:.

I enjoyed the whole experience of going to pick a travel system. I was amazed at the amount of engineering that goes into the design of them!

We went with a neutral colour as we weren't finding out the sex. But even if you do, and are planning on having more kids in the future - you might as well get a neutral coloured one.

Our one got my vote purely because the frame pops up open automatically! (And there was a deal on it at the time! )

Our first, a girl, was born at midday on St. Patrick's Day. Waters broke at 6am on the Sunday morning. Went into Holles St. for a quick scan to check everything was okay and then sent home as contractions hadn't started. Although not very common for waters to break and contractions not to start soon after the standard procedure is wait 24 hours and then have labour induced due to risk of infection. It's a bit anti-climatic because reading everything and anything about pregnancy for the last few months and I never heard about this scenario!? I really thought we would have a baby by dinner time on Sunday! Really wish I had a gotten a few hours sleep when we went back home as I wouldn't get any more until Monday night!

Contractions started out slowly Sunday afternoon and started building in intensity until they were 5 minutes apart lasting up to a minute at 10pm. We had been instructed in the ante-natal course to go into the hospital at that point so in we went. My wife's cervix was checked and to our disappointment the midwife said labour was no where near starting. She reluctantly took some pethidine and midwife said once it kicks in she should be able to get some sleep and I was to go home and come back in the morning. My wife had planned not to take pethidine as all, it was the only drug she didn't want! All she had heard was bad things about it, some women can have terrible reactions to it making them feel worse rather than better. So while it didn't have a bad affect on her it didn't really have much affect at all!? Contractions kept building in intensity and length so any notion of her sleeping and me going home quickly went out the window. Between 1am and 5am were by far the worst of it, contractions were incredibly painful. Thankfully by about 5am things had moved along enough to warrant being given an epidural. After that it was relatively plain sailing and big healthy 9lb 13ounce baby girl delivered at midday after an hour pushing.

Met a few friends for a drink on Monday night to wet the baby's head! Literally had one and went home for some much needed sleep. Spent all day in the hospital yesterday learning basic things like how to hold a new born, change a nappy, burping etc. The nurses are just amazing, so understanding and helpful. Getting out of hospital tomorrow so decided to go into work today and get an extra day off at home. Can't really concentrate at all, just want to get back to my wife and daughter! I feel like I'm still on a high from the whole thing, not sure how much longer this will last though!? The last few days actually seem quite surreal, almost like my wedding day, just walking around with a big smile on my face and looking out of it!

Our first, a girl, was born at midday on St. Patrick's Day. Waters broke at 6am on the Sunday morning. Went into Holles St. for a quick scan to check everything was okay and then sent home as contractions hadn't started. Although not very common for waters to break and contractions not to start soon after the standard procedure is wait 24 hours and then have labour induced due to risk of infection. It's a bit anti-climatic because reading everything and anything about pregnancy for the last few months and I never heard about this scenario!? I really thought we would have a baby by dinner time on Sunday! Really wish I had a gotten a few hours sleep when we went back home as I wouldn't get any more until Monday night!

Contractions started out slowly Sunday afternoon and started building in intensity until they were 5 minutes apart lasting up to a minute at 10pm. We had been instructed in the ante-natal course to go into the hospital at that point so in we went. My wife's cervix was checked and to our disappointment the midwife said labour was no where near starting. She reluctantly took some pethidine and midwife said once it kicks in she should be able to get some sleep and I was to go home and come back in the morning. My wife had planned not to take pethidine as all, it was the only drug she didn't want! All she had heard was bad things about it, some women can have terrible reactions to it making them feel worse rather than better. So while it didn't have a bad affect on her it didn't really have much affect at all!? Contractions kept building in intensity and length so any notion of her sleeping and me going home quickly went out the window. Between 1am and 5am were by far the worst of it, contractions were incredibly painful. Thankfully by about 5am things had moved along enough to warrant being given an epidural. After that it was relatively plain sailing and big healthy 9lb 13ounce baby girl delivered at midday after an hour pushing.

Met a few friends for a drink on Monday night to wet the baby's head! Literally had one and went home for some much needed sleep. Spent all day in the hospital yesterday learning basic things like how to hold a new born, change a nappy, burping etc. The nurses are just amazing, so understanding and helpful. Getting out of hospital tomorrow so decided to go into work today and get an extra day off at home. Can't really concentrate at all, just want to get back to my wife and daughter! I feel like I'm still on a high from the whole thing, not sure how much longer this will last though!? The last few days actually seem quite surreal, almost like my wedding day, just walking around with a big smile on my face and looking out of it!

Jesus - sounds horrific! :pac:

Sounds worse than it is, the reward at the end far outweighs any negatives :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

I was about to ask "what part?" and then I saw the :pac:

Congrats on a successful birth youcancallmeal! :) Hope yourself and the missus are doing OK!

Advertisement