Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2014 NFL Draft

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Heffo001

mikemac1 wrote: »
    I gave Margus Hunt DE to the Bengals at 38. Right team, just he went at 53

A poster mocked DJ Fluker at 39. He went no 11 overall, that poster wasn't impressed anyway!

That's a win in my book! :D

I also stood in for another poster for the next pick (40). I chose DJ Hayden, who went 12 overall in the actual draft, one place after Fluker.

That raises an interesting point though. Is the primary point of the boards mock to get the the pick right or to make the strongest selection you can with the players available to you?

I'm interested in being a GM for the Mock draft again this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Heffo001 wrote: »
    That's a win in my book! :D

I also stood in for another poster for the next pick (40). I chose DJ Hayden, who went 12 overall in the actual draft, one place after Fluker.

That raises an interesting point though. Is the primary point of the boards mock to get the the pick right or to make the strongest selection you can with the players available to you?

I'm interested in being a GM for the Mock draft again this year.

I would say the strongest player that makes sense. You'll hear teams bleeting on about taking BPA but it just nonsense.

2 years ago I mocked Jonathan Martin to the Dolphins. Sure i mocked him in the 1sr & they took him in the 2nd but i count it as a success

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Just as a little random exercise I've gone back to check our 2011 mock draft

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056219544&page=2

Lowest picked probowler:
    Well done to landsleaving who took Demarco Murray at 56

Biggest criminal drafted:
    Jaysus, I gave Titus Young to the Ravens at 58. :rolleyes: Out of the league now and been arrested three seperate times.
    Shocking pick :o

Biggest gap from mock draft to actual draft:
    landsleaving gave Christian Ponder to the Seahawks at 57 compared to 8 in the real draft. And all can agree the Vikings made a huge reach here
    Wise drafting in our mock :cool:

Not a whole lot else stands out, the rest of the positions were close'ish

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

Johnny Football

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Johnny Football

"People have come up to me and called me Mr. Football" :pac:

I liked that Gruden called him out on the off the field stuff, I didn't think he would have done that.

Have this years QB camp episodes been on TV yet or just preview snippets floating around? I remember last year was very difficult to find the full episodes on YouTube etc but 2012 was full of them. Hopefully it's the latter again this year.

• Advertisement

Paully D wrote: »
    "People have come up to me and called me Mr. Football" :pac:

I liked that Gruden called him out on the off the field stuff, I didn't think he would have done that.

Have this years QB camp episodes been on TV yet or just preview snippets floating around? I remember last year was very difficult to find the full episodes on YouTube etc but 2012 was full of them. Hopefully it's the latter again this year.

I think He goes as 1st QB. Probably to Jacksonville

I think He goes as 1st QB. Probably to Jacksonville

I'd still be very surprised if anyone took a QB other than Bridgewater if he's available. He's by far the best QB prospect in this draft.

If Jacksonville have a choice between him and Manziel I think they go Bridgewater all day long and if they don't they'd be very foolish in my opinion. Same goes for any team that passes him up for another QB.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

I'd still be very surprised if anyone took a QB other than Bridgewater if he's available. He's by far the best QB prospect in this draft.

If Jacksonville have a choice between him and Manziel I think they go Bridgewater all day long and if they don't they'd be very foolish in my opinion. Same goes for any team that passes him up for another QB.

Ah come off it Paully, it's pretty clear it's up in the air between the top draft picks this year. Particularly Manziel and Bridgewater.

Just because one looks like a sepia-toned photograph of what a QB is 'meant' to look like means next to nothing. It all depends on what a given team want from a QB. Very different players and hence huge variance in how any given expert ranks them.

Hell, a Derek Carr level QB, if given time to develop, could out-perform a Bridgewater or a banged up Manziel. It's a class with a lot of depth but no one player has the full package.

I disagree Bridgewater is any better of a prospect than Manziel, or Bortles for that matter. Carr has the makings of a good QB aswell.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,116 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Agree with paully here. Bridgewater head and shoulders above the rest, probably going to Houston though so manziel to jacksonville is certainly a possibility.

• Advertisement

I disagree Bridgewater is any better of a prospect than Manziel, or Bortles for that matter. Carr has the makings of a good QB aswell.
    Syferus wrote: »
    Ah come off it Paully, it's pretty clear it's up in the air between the top draft picks this year. Particularly Manziel and Bridgewater.

Just because one looks like a sepia-toned photograph of what a QB is 'meant' to look like means next to nothing. It all depends on what a given team want from a QB. Very different players and hence huge variance in how any given expert ranks them.

Hell, a Derek Carr level QB, if given time to develop, could out-perform a Bridgewater or a banged up Manziel. It's a class with a lot of depth but no one player has the full package.

Can you explain to me what you're seeing on tape that the others do better than Bridgewater or even to make them close? I'm not trying to be arsey, it's just a genuine question because I'd like to know what I seem to be missing.

When I watch the tape I see Bridgewater doing things that some current NFL QB's aren't able to do as good as him and certainly the other QB prospects in this draft can't do as good as him. Reading defences, blitzes, looking off defenders, these are things that aren't easily taught and if I was a team I love having a QB where I don't have to spend time on that. He has excellent accuracy, again I think he's a better passer than the others on that.

Is he perfect? No. He won't extend plays like Manziel, nor is he built like Bortles. He's not going to go in and have an Andrew Luck type impact straight away and there's also some durability concerns as he has picked up a few injuries. Don't get me wrong, I love Manziel and I'm rooting for him, he's so fun to watch but I'd go with Bridgewater all day long over any of the others and IMO if a team passes over him for one of the others they will look back, maybe not straight away, but in a few years time and say "damn."

I agree on Derek Carr by the way, I like him.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,860 ✭✭✭nerd69

Can you explain to me what you're seeing on tape that the others do better than Bridgewater or even to make them close? I'm not trying to be arsey, it's just a genuine question because I'd like to know what I seem to be missing.

When I watch the tape I see Bridgewater doing things that some current NFL QB's aren't able to do as good as him and certainly the other QB prospects in this draft can't do as good as him. Reading defences, blitzes, looking off defenders, these are things that aren't easily taught and if I was a team I love having a QB where I don't have to spend time on that. He has excellent accuracy, again I think he's a better passer than the others on that.

Is he perfect? No. He won't extend plays like Manziel, nor is he built like Bortles. He's not going to go in and have an Andrew Luck type impact straight away and there's also some durability concerns as he has picked up a few injuries. Don't get me wrong, I love Manziel and I'm rooting for him, he's so fun to watch but I'd go with Bridgewater all day long over any of the others and IMO if a team passes over him for one of the others they will look back, maybe not straight away, but in a few years time and say "damn."

I agree on Derek Carr by the way, I like him.

The argument for manziel is the same as the tebow argument was. It's that he has "it" he's not worth a pick in the top 2-3 rounds to be honest mite be worth a shot after that

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

nerd69 wrote: »
    The argument for manziel is the same as the tebow argument was. It's that he has "it" he's not worth a pick in the top 2-3 rounds to be honest mite be worth a shot after that

Massive difference between the two players. Very lazy comparison to make, to be honest.

People are also over-rating Bridgwewater making line changes/audibles in a poor conference. Things are far simpler and far slower at that level and he'll need plenty of support because he's almost sure to be a rookie starter.

We've seen spread option QBs like Cam and RG3 make record-breaking starts to their careers and 'pro-ready' QBs fall flat on their faces. It's much more about the mentality of the player to learn and adapt than it is about what they did in college when you're talking about the picks we have this year. Bridgewater will have plenty of transitional work to do, just like Manziel, Bortles or Carr.

I'm interested to see who takes McCarron, he showed good accuracy and arm strength at the Combine and like Carr is the sort of player who would be a decent bet to develop into a good pro QB if he is given a year or two on the bench.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Manziel has got some of the worst pocket presence I've seen from a supposed first round prospect. No idea how a team would be willing to draft him when seems incapable of working the pocket.

Looking at potential trades, are there any you see happening?

Obviously the Rams will be the one team at the top that trade focus will be on, and I could see the Falcons trading up to that #2 spot for Clowney (which would see him very happy, given his comments at the Combine). That would allow the Rams to drop down to #6 and still pick up their choice of LT in Matthews or Robinson while getting extra ammunition for the rest of the draft.

If the Vikings fancy a QB and a couple come off the board early while the one they want is still there, they could be very tempted to trade up to get him too. The Raiders may be tempted into trading up to get their man too.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,116 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I think the 49ers will trade up again, either for a CB or WR, last year they went from 31 to 18 to grab Eric Reid and with 12 picks this year I see something similar happening.

Question is who they will be targetting?

Massive difference between the two players. Very lazy comparison to make, to be honest.

People are also over-rating Bridgwewater making line changes/audibles in a poor conference. Things are far simpler and far slower at that level and he'll need plenty of support because he's almost sure to be a rookie starter.

We've seen spread option QBs like Cam and RG3 make record-breaking starts to their careers and 'pro-ready' QBs fall flat on their faces. It's much more about the mentality of the player to learn and adapt than it is about what they did in college when you're talking about the picks we have this year. Bridgewater will have plenty of transitional work to do, just like Manziel, Bortles or Carr.

I'm interested to see who takes McCarron, he showed good accuracy and arm strength at the Combine and like Carr is the sort of player who would be a decent bet to develop into a good pro QB if he is given a year or two on the bench.

i think its apt there both superstars in college but both have big issues in there game that look like they will make them struggle on the professional level. however both players carry a huge hype so will go first round, will be billed as a franchise savior and there will be massive unjust fan pressure on the coaching staff to start them from day one.

dosent seem that lazy to me are they different as players yes but they are similar in a lot of ways i think manziel will do better than tebow as a passer but he will not live up to the hype and i dont think he would be picked in the first 3 rounds if he was not johnny football.

adrian522 wrote: »
    I think the 49ers will trade up again, either for a CB or WR, last year they went from 31 to 18 to grab Eric Reid and with 12 picks this year I see something similar happening.

Question is who they will be targetting?

Justin Gilbert or Darqueze Dennard will be the two main men at CB. One will probably go top ten (to the Lions, Gilbert is better IMO) while the other could go anywhere from that Lions spot to the end of the first. If one or both of them fall past the Lions, it's likely only the Giants and Steelers would have much of an interest in a corner before it could become trade up territory for the 49ers. It would be a similar sort of trade up like last years once you mention. 16th-20th, that sort of range I'd imagine as the Packers at 21 come into play for a CB then.

At WR, Watkins is going extremely early and Evans is almost certainly the next off the board. Then the likes of Lee, Beckham, Benjamin and Cooks start coming off the board. Rams, Ravens and Jets will likely take a lot of them away so the 49ers would need to be looking to trade up to around 15th or 16th ahead of the Ravens and Jets if they fancy one of those receivers.

Which of the receivers do you feel would suit the 49ers best mate?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I think scouts will be looking at him as similar to Kaepernick with his speed, elusiveness and ability to throw on the run. This is what is pushing him up boards and it's not surprising because he looks like he has the clutchness if all the other stuff is good enough. Certainly will go in the first round.

I like Carr a lot and I think he will turn out to be the best of this bunch. Bridgewater was in a very good system with a very good offensive line and he didn't get pressured very often but when he did the results were very mixed. That's the question mark which is pulling him down a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Lionbacker

Justin Gilbert or Darqueze Dennard will be the two main men at CB. One will probably go top ten (to the Lions, Gilbert is better IMO) while the other could go anywhere from that Lions spot to the end of the first. If one or both of them fall past the Lions, it's likely only the Giants and Steelers would have much of an interest in a corner before it could become trade up territory for the 49ers. It would be a similar sort of trade up like last years once you mention. 16th-20th, that sort of range I'd imagine as the Packers at 21 come into play for a CB then.

Lions won't be drafting a CB at #10.
    They have already drafted 4 in the last 2 years, including a high second rounder on Darius Slay last year. I highly doubt they would add a fifth young CB to the group. They could however go pick up a veteran in free agency.
    The Lions will almost certainly be looking at WR at 10. There is absolutely no-one to go alongside Calvin, seeing that Burleson was cut 2 weeks ago.

• Advertisement

At WR, Watkins is going extremely early and Evans is almost certainly the next off the board. Then the likes of Lee, Beckham, Benjamin and Cooks start coming off the board. Rams, Ravens and Jets will likely take a lot of them away so the 49ers would need to be looking to trade up to around 15th or 16th ahead of the Ravens and Jets if they fancy one of those receivers.

Which of the receivers do you feel would suit the 49ers best mate?

If the 49ers move up, I'd like it to be for a cb, I think there is plenty of depth at wr the and the need isn't quite as urgent. With Boldon set to resign they are really looking for a wr to develop once crabtree likely moves on after this season.

I would like Benjamin out of the wide receivers assuming Evans goes in the top 20 or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Looking at potential trades, are there any you see happening?

Obviously the Rams will be the one team at the top that trade focus will be on, and I could see the Falcons trading up to that #2 spot for Clowney (which would see him very happy, given his comments at the Combine). That would allow the Rams to drop down to #6 and still pick up their choice of LT in Matthews or Robinson while getting extra ammunition for the rest of the draft.

If the Vikings fancy a QB and a couple come off the board early while the one they want is still there, they could be very tempted to trade up to get him too. The Raiders may be tempted into trading up to get their man too.

I'd say Raiders #1 choice will be to trade down. I'd be amazed if Reggie was willing to trade up. He has a mantra of building through the draft so I doubt he'll give away many draft picks. I'll be surprised if we don't trade down from #5 on the day. We saw last year we were happy to take less than ideal value when it came to trading down as well.

Lionbacker wrote: »
    Lions won't be drafting a CB at #10.
    They have already drafted 4 in the last 2 years, including a high second rounder on Darius Slay last year. I highly doubt they would add a fifth young CB to the group. They could however go pick up a veteran in free agency.
    The Lions will almost certainly be looking at WR at 10. There is absolutely no-one to go alongside Calvin, seeing that Burleson was cut 2 weeks ago.

Interesting, cheers. Mike Evans could well be your man then. I highly doubt Watkins is there at #10 but Evans should be. He and Megatron together could be devastating.

the more i look at this class the better it looks i think it may end up going down as one of the best drafts in nfl history and i think some team could come out of it with a 96 ravens type class

• Registered Users Posts: 36,261 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

ra, ra SEC baybee!!

Manziel isn't going to be the first SEC superstar QB to get curbstomped at the next level.

Bridgewater is a far superior prospect as demonstrated in his 2013 bowl performance against SEC (!!) opposition.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Dohnny Jepp

the more i look at this class the better it looks i think it may end up going down as one of the best drafts in nfl history and i think some team could come out of it with a 96 ravens type class

I think this is the kind of draft in which you can get a couple of pro bowlers and some good career starters, but I don't think it has the top end talent for you to come away with two hall of famers (lewis is a cert) like the ravens did in 96.

I'm really excited for this draft, considering the depth at a lot of positions if your team drafts you'll be set up for the next 4 years.

how good do ye think sammy watkins will be. iv not seen enough of him but he to be getting a massive amount of hype.

how good do ye think sammy watkins will be. iv not seen enough of him but he to be getting a massive amount of hype.

He'll be A.J. Green type levels of good IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

I don't see him as a No.1 guy ala Megatron, Bryant, Fitz or Green.

It's hard not to be intrigued by his speed but he is a little on the short side for me & was used in very specific ways at Clemson so will need time to develop in the NFL. I think he could be a really good No.2 where he is able to beat single coverage with his speed but as a top 5 pick he could be abit of a bust.

If I was looking for a WR I would rather wait & get Jordan Matthews at the same spot in the 2nd round.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement