Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Hamster Clinic (or the Repair Advice Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭zerohamster

mdebets wrote: »
    Make: Canon

Item: Lense

Model: EF 24-70 1:2.8L USM

Fault:
    There is not really a fault. The camera and lens are working fine (just the manual focus ring seems to be a little bit stiff going at times, but I'm not sure if this was there before).
    There is however a small gap between the manual focus ring and the next part of the lens (last part of the fixed lens body, not the barrel that moves in and out during zoom, where the lens information and the red ring are shown) (see attached picture: no gap underneath ZOOM text, a wider gap underneath 1:2.8 text) and this part of the lens is not straight anymore.
    Has anyone any idea if this can cause any problems (I'm thinking maybe the weather sealing might no longer be intact) and what this last part of the lens is actually used for.

When/how it happened:
    I dropped the my 5D Mk III with the lens attached to the floor. Luckily it wasn't too high (was sitting on the floor and was just about to get up when I dropped it) and it was a sports hall, so it had this bouncy floor.

I have seen this happen before.
    The impact has caused the focus ring to mount the barrel as it warped upon impact.
    If you would like to PM me I can give you details.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

Sounds like the gear inside the sprocket is stripped and that is the grinding you are hearing.
    Unfortunately I'm not seeing that part around so I can't really offer to do much there for you but if you were to find a damaged (with unrelated fault) F100 it could be used as a donor camera to fix yours.

More info. I left the film in the camera over Christmas. I opened and closed the door again and the film loaded fine. I haven't tried another roll of film yet. The film wound on fine once it was loaded apart from one frame there seems to have been a bad wind on.

(And thanks.)

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭MrTrebus

just a quick update on this

did the repair today, as per the fantastic video, and it worked out really well !!

apart from the fact Im a bloke and didnt check to make sure ALL the screws were fully tightened, it was brilliant :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I now have my lens back working again !!!!!!

want to say a HUGE thanks to zerohamster for his help AND the links

cheers

MrTrebus

:D:D:D:D:D
    Vectra is probably right here unless you do the repair yourself (it is quite easy).

That's the part you need:

www.ebay.com/itm/NIKON-AF-S-18-55MM-F-3-5-5-6-G-VR-I-II-REAR-BAYONET-MOUNT-GENUINE-AUTHENTIC-OEM-/330835895109?pt=Digital_Camera_Accessories&hash=item4d075b2345

There is a tutorial running you through the repair:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOF67_IVY4o

Unfortunately Nikon lenses are a little harder to change the mount on due to the aperture control and small wire connected to the mount but don't let it scare you into not doing it.
    Care is the most important thing here and you do not want to be rushing this.
    The contacts are probably the one thing you need to watch out for as you need to detach them from the mount before taking it off (or you will rip the flex).

If you have any questions feel free to ask and I'll do what I can but ~€16 is better than buying another lens so it's worth a shot!

EASYNEWS wrote: »
    Make: Olympus
    Item: Compact Digital Camera
    Model: SZ-14

Fault:When zoom is at the wide angle end you can see an arched image on right hand side as if it was the inside of the lens. Its as if the lens has shifted slightly. It is not visible when you zoom in a bit.
    Perhaps the camera got a knock.
    I would appreciate any help.

Could you post an example please if possible?
    It could be a loose element inside but if that was the case you should notice softness more on one side of the image (the side with the arch most likely) and possibly chromatic aberations due to misallignment.

Hi there

A mark appears on each image

Make: Panasonic
    Item: DSLR camera body
    Model: GH1
    Fault: A mark appears on every image from the camera. I've done tests with lenses and it's always in the same place, (so its definitely not on any glass)
    There was a tiny mark on the sensor that I could see, and I've cleaned that off, the sensor now has no marks but this little red bugger is still showing up.
    Pic attached (Zoomed x3)

When/How it happened: Unknown

Cheers Hope there is an easy fix for this

Thanks

A
    Thanks for posting, that is an odd looking speck there.
    Is that image cropped down to show the dot?

If not then it should be visible to the eye.
    The colour and shadow suggests that it looks like a droplet dried in or something but without being able to inspect the sensor I can only speculate.

Did you clean the sensor using a swab and cleaning fluid?
    Some dirt and debris will only come off on a wet clean as it can be sticky and stubborn to remove so perhaps try another pass or two cleaning with a swab and cleaning fluid. That would be the first step in troubleshooting where it is in the camera.

• Advertisement

Lyaiera wrote: »
    More info. I left the film in the camera over Christmas. I opened and closed the door again and the film loaded fine. I haven't tried another roll of film yet. The film wound on fine once it was loaded apart from one frame there seems to have been a bad wind on.

(And thanks.)
    Glad to hear it was something simple and that you resolved it.
    I hope the roll comes out for you and best of luck!

MrTrebus wrote: »
    just a quick update on this

did the repair today, as per the fantastic video, and it worked out really well !!

apart from the fact Im a bloke and didnt check to make sure ALL the screws were fully tightened, it was brilliant :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I now have my lens back working again !!!!!!

want to say a HUGE thanks to zerohamster for his help AND the links

cheers

MrTrebus

:D:D:D:D:D

I'm glad you gave it a shot. Much better than having to get a new lens.
    Best of luck with the lens and I hope it gets you many many great photos and memories.

Cheers for following up too!

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭WheresMyCamera?

Make: Canon.

Item: Film SLR.

Model: EOS 3.

Fault: Dirty Mirror.

Hello everyone.

Just picked myself up a new to me Eos 3 body. Everything looks in decent enough condition but the mirror is filthy. Looks like it could be from finger prints on closer inspection. Anyone have any idea on how to go about cleaning this? Don't want to break it while I can still take it back. :)

Thanks.
    A.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Item: Lens

Model: 100mm f2.8 USM

Fault: Can't focus

I took out my macro lens this morning for the first time since last summer, and it cannot focus on anything, either in auto or manual. Every image comes out blurry because it just can't bring the object into focus.

I don't think it is the camera, because other lenses are focusing fine; and I tried the macro on another dslr with the same blurry result.

My first instinct was to clean the contacts but I don't know if I have the right type of cloth etc. and I didn't want to make things worse. Is cleaning lens contacts as delicate an affair as cleaning a camera sensor?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Gortan60

Hi

Anyone got zerohamsters contact details? Need a lens repaired. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

^^ Have managed to figure out the problem above.

Make: Canon.

Item: Film SLR.

Model: EOS 3.

Fault: Dirty Mirror.

Hello everyone.

Just picked myself up a new to me Eos 3 body. Everything looks in decent enough condition but the mirror is filthy. Looks like it could be from finger prints on closer inspection. Anyone have any idea on how to go about cleaning this? Don't want to break it while I can still take it back. :)

Thanks.
    A.

To clean it you can use a swab or cotton bud with optical cleaning fluid like eclipse or another sensor cleaning or optical cleaning liquid which will have the best results or if not then a microfibre cloth and very lightly clean the smudges which won't yield a perfect result but better than not cleaning.

My concern would be to check the viewfinder for marks also in case they aren't just located on the mirror but if the marks are just on the mirror it should be an easy job to clean it, just remember to not use force or you could break the mirror or mirror arms.

Best of luck!

^^ Have managed to figure out the problem above.

Glad you figured it out and sorry I didn't get a chance to reply sooner.

What was the solution if you wouldn't mind posting in case someone else has the same issue and can solve it themselves?

Cheers and glad you got it sorted!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Make: Sigma

Model: 18-35mm f1.8

Fault: Front focuses like heck to a point using AF is almost useless.

It's been one of the major issues with the lens I not so long ago purchased. The lens is amazingly sharp as many of the reviews have raved on about but it also has a serious flaw that is it can't accurately autofocus at all! The only way to get good sharp focus is to use the contrast detection AF in liveview or manually focus it. It has slowed down my workflow with the lens dramatically and I've missed many shots because of this too as relying on the AF usually results in soft images that aren't in focus (it gets worse at larger apertures but even at f2.8 it's pretty bad) and a lot of these images turn out poor simply because the focus is off. I've got a 600D and it doesn't have in-camera focus calibration for me to do anything about it. I've been thinking of sending the lens to Sigma to see if they can recalibrate it's focusing to make it more accurate (it's still under warranty). Anyone got any other ideas that I can do to fix this or any place I can send the lens to make the AF more accurate?? Thanks!

Seems to be a widespread enough problem unfortunately.

I can only suggest sending it back to sigma with the complaint that the AF is off although first I would test it on another camera body to ensure it is the lens and not the body which would be a different matter.

If you can, try it on a body with micro adjust so that if the focus is innacurate you can calibrate and see if that makes a difference too.

If it's under warranty then Sigma are the people to contact as you wouldn't want to have to pay for the service and invalidate your warranty also by sending it elsewhere.

Sigma normally make pretty decent lenses and I personally use the Sigma 50mm 1.4 (hands down the best 1.4 you can get for Canon mount optically and build quality wise). I have heard of a few people having problems with lenses not being as sharp as they are supposed to be but for this model it seems a few people are having the same problem as you.

I hope this helps.
    Make: Sigma

Model: 18-35mm f1.8

Fault: Front focuses like heck to a point using AF is almost useless.

It's been one of the major issues with the lens I not so long ago purchased. The lens is amazingly sharp as many of the reviews have raved on about but it also has a serious flaw that is it can't accurately autofocus at all! The only way to get good sharp focus is to use the contrast detection AF in liveview or manually focus it. It has slowed down my workflow with the lens dramatically and I've missed many shots because of this too as relying on the AF usually results in soft images that aren't in focus (it gets worse at larger apertures but even at f2.8 it's pretty bad) and a lot of these images turn out poor simply because the focus is off. I've got a 600D and it doesn't have in-camera focus calibration for me to do anything about it. I've been thinking of sending the lens to Sigma to see if they can recalibrate it's focusing to make it more accurate (it's still under warranty). Anyone got any other ideas that I can do to fix this or any place I can send the lens to make the AF more accurate?? Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I have a Canon 50mm lens that fell.
    The lens had come away from the body (if that makes sense) and its now in 2 pieces.

Is it repairable ?

I have a Canon 50mm lens that fell.
    The lens had come away from the body (if that makes sense) and its now in 2 pieces.

Is it repairable ?

Hi,

Depending on the damage done to the gearing and the catches that attached the front element group to the body of the lens it can be repairable yes.
    PM me for more details if you would like?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Gehad_JoyRider

Make: Canon,

Model: Ultra Sonic 50 Mill 1.4

Fault: Focusing the usual problem with the motor i believe. Al so can you clean len's there some small amounts of dust and its annoying me :)

Make: Canon,

Model: Ultra Sonic 50 Mill 1.4

Fault: Focusing the usual problem with the motor i believe. Al so can you clean len's there some small amounts of dust and its annoying me :)

Hi,

If you would like to PM me I can give you more details.
    Thanks.

Seems to be a widespread enough problem unfortunately.

I can only suggest sending it back to sigma with the complaint that the AF is off although first I would test it on another camera body to ensure it is the lens and not the body which would be a different matter.

If you can, try it on a body with micro adjust so that if the focus is innacurate you can calibrate and see if that makes a difference too.

If it's under warranty then Sigma are the people to contact as you wouldn't want to have to pay for the service and invalidate your warranty also by sending it elsewhere.

Sigma normally make pretty decent lenses and I personally use the Sigma 50mm 1.4 (hands down the best 1.4 you can get for Canon mount optically and build quality wise). I have heard of a few people having problems with lenses not being as sharp as they are supposed to be but for this model it seems a few people are having the same problem as you.

I hope this helps.

Thanks a lot for the reply! When I first got the lens and found out the problem I took it back to the shop and tried it on another 600D body (which is the camera I have) and it was front focusing just like it did on my camera body. Also I did a test with all the other lenses I have and the kit Canon 18-55mm has no problem accurately autofocusing so I can say the fault is in the lens.

Do you know if there's any sigma service centre in Ireland I can talk to and send the lens to or would I have to send it to UK? The sigma website only seems to list the service centres in USA which isn't very helpful.

I have no problem with the sharpness of my lens, it is quite amazing! Which is why I've been using the lens quite a lot lately but I can only use it as a manual focus lens unfortunately and so it'ld be nice if I can get the focus issue fixed. I was reading around the internet and one person said they sent their lens back to sigma who kindly calibrated the lens to their camera model so it would AF accurately. I guess this is what I need to do too...

EDIT: Mega thanks for the PM, that's very useful!! I'll look at contacting the Sigma folks next week and see if they can help me out!! You're awesome!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Gehad_JoyRider

Thanks a lot for the reply! When I first got the lens and found out the problem I took it back to the shop and tried it on another 600D body (which is the camera I have) and it was front focusing just like it did on my camera body. Also I did a test with all the other lenses I have and the kit Canon 18-55mm has no problem accurately autofocusing so I can say the fault is in the lens.

Do you know if there's any sigma service centre in Ireland I can talk to and send the lens to or would I have to send it to UK? The sigma website only seems to list the service centres in USA which isn't very helpful.

I have no problem with the sharpness of my lens, it is quite amazing! Which is why I've been using the lens quite a lot lately but I can only use it as a manual focus lens unfortunately and so it'ld be nice if I can get the focus issue fixed. I was reading around the internet and one person said they sent their lens back to sigma who kindly calibrated the lens to their camera model so it would AF accurately. I guess this is what I need to do too...

EDIT: Mega thanks for the PM, that's very useful!! I'll look at contacting the Sigma folks next week and see if they can help me out!! You're awesome!

http://www.sigma-imaging-uk.com/ hope this helps I was going to drop down to a 7D for this lens :eek: disappointed to hear such negative reviews have you tried tweeking the focusing with the usb hub?

http://www.sigma-imaging-uk.com/ hope this helps I was going to drop down to a 7D for this lens :eek: disappointed to hear such negative reviews have you tried tweeking the focusing with the usb hub?

It is a brilliant lens. The sharpness is on par with Canon L lenses. At f1.8 the lens is as sharp as most other lenses are at f4 and at f2.8 the lens is as sharp as the best Canon L and Zeiss lenses! The build quality is superb too, the focus and zoom rings are really smooth and it's also the only telephoto lens that's f1.8. It's great for astrophotography as chromatic aberration and coma is minimum too. So I won't tell you don't get it.

Well from what I've been reading about, not all lenses are affected by this. Some are pretty accurate with the focusing although most do have some focusing error. Although a 7D has internal AF adjust so you should be able to fix it more easier. It's really a hassle with the USB dock cuz you're meant to take a picture, get the lens off camera, put it on the dock, tweak it in the software, put the lens back on the camera and repeat it till you get the focus right and then do it again at different focal lengths and different distances... It'ld be easier if Sigma themselves could fix it.

Zerohamster PMed me the number of a guy in Cork who fixes sigma lenses so I'll give him a call sometime this week and see if he can help! It'ld save me shipping the lens to UK...

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Bowles

Model: 28-135mm USM IS

Fault: Auto Focus not working

When/how it happened:
    I bought this lens a couple of years ago second hand.
    Worked fine for a long time but gradually the auto focus slowed down and took many half presses of the shutter button to focus until it eventually stopped working altogether.

I love this lens as I find it extremely versatile, so ideally it would be great to repair it.
    My guess is there is a motor in the lens that's gone from mere wear and tear?

Here is a video of the problem. First the camera working fine with another lens and then with the 28-135.
    You can also see the condition of the contacts.

Thanks in advance for your time and help.. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 davidbb

Item: DSLR Body
    Model: 40d
    Fault: error 99 on pressing the shutter button

When/how it happened:

it started out happening maybe every 100-150 shots and became more regular over time, its now at the point that everytime I press the shutter button the mirror locks up and error 99 comes up.

I've since upgraded cameras but would love to be able to fix the 40d for use as a back up.
    any help would be greatly appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 6 OTP

OTP wrote: »
    Make: Samyang (Rokinon)

Model: 14mm

Thanks for the repair.
    I can now do this:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/denismoynihan/12421318415/

Denis

• Registered Users Posts: 2 sonya000

Make: Nikon

Item: 18-135 kit lens
    Model: d80
    Fault: F/stop not working

When/how it happened: My lens when attached to the camera just gives a F- symbol in the little settings window i can change my shutter speed but not the f/stop. it will take images in manual just by setting longer shutter speeds and the focus seems to be working prefect. I have tried the lens on other cameras with no joy and my other lenses work fine on my d80. I have cleaned all the contacts and still nothing. I am hoping it can be fixed at minimal cost as im a photography student and need my gear working. The lens have never been dropped it used to work again once taking lens off and putting back on to body then it just stopped. thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2 sonya000

i have just put the lens back on my camera again to see if i could figure anything else out and my auto focus is in in face not working either there is no noise from the lens at all. i really hope its fixable at a reasonable price

Bowles wrote: »

Model: 28-135mm USM IS

Fault: Auto Focus not working

When/how it happened:
    I bought this lens a couple of years ago second hand.
    Worked fine for a long time but gradually the auto focus slowed down and took many half presses of the shutter button to focus until it eventually stopped working altogether.

I love this lens as I find it extremely versatile, so ideally it would be great to repair it.
    My guess is there is a motor in the lens that's gone from mere wear and tear?

Here is a video of the problem. First the camera working fine with another lens and then with the 28-135.
    You can also see the condition of the contacts.

Thanks in advance for your time and help.. ;)

Heya, just seeing this now from the PM.

Could be a number of things causing this but I have seen USM go this way gradually.
    It can be caused by electronic failure, corrosion, grease/oil or even mechanical failure of the tensioner underneath the motor.

I would be happy to have a look for you and see what is causing it but this can often be repaired without parts which is nice.

PM me for more details if you would like.

This sounds like a classic motor degredation on the 40D which is quite a common fault. Basically the motors start to bind and the camera detects the mechanics are not moving at the speeds they should be and gives the error 99 (which is a blanket error covering many faults).

If you would like to PM me I could have a look for you if you would like?
    davidbb wrote: »

Item: DSLR Body
    Model: 40d
    Fault: error 99 on pressing the shutter button

When/how it happened:

it started out happening maybe every 100-150 shots and became more regular over time, its now at the point that everytime I press the shutter button the mirror locks up and error 99 comes up.

I've since upgraded cameras but would love to be able to fix the 40d for use as a back up.
    any help would be greatly appreciated

• Advertisement

OTP wrote: »
    Thanks for the repair.
    I can now do this:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/denismoynihan/12421318415/

Denis
    Great shot Denis, had a look through your other photos there and I really like the night time shots of Baldongan and Portrane especially! Nice work!

Advertisement