Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Hamster Clinic (or the Repair Advice Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭zerohamster

Make: Sigma
    Item: Lens
    Model : 170-500 f/5-6.3 APO
    Fault: Auto-focus not working

Got hold of this lens second hand and the bloke before me had only ever used with manual focus as he was using a non-AF adapter for his camera. Read reviews and they all reckon it should work fine in AF mode with DG cameras.

1st camera I tried was my Canon 100d. Doesn't work. Lens emits two whirring noises from motor and there slight movement of the focus ring but it doesn't focus.

Then tried an older 350d in case an update meant more recent cameras weren't working. Exactly the same. Can hear the AF motor making two short whirrs but lens doesn't focus.

No errors displayed on either camera.

It sounds like the motor has either seized or gearing is stripped in the motor.
    I would have to have a look at the lens to determin which of those is the case but it's good that the motor responds at all.

PM me for more details.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Mick Regan

Make: Canon

Model: G11

Fault: Lens won't retract. Error message - 'Lens Error, Restart Camera'

When/how it happened: Yesterday. Turned camera on, zoomed in to take picture, turned camera off and lens failed to retract. (Can hear motor attempting to retract, but stops almost immediately - error message appears, and camera turns itself off). Camera has not been dropped or knocked, and is well looked after. Had same fault 18 months ago and lens was replaced.

Have tried gentle knocking, cleaning around the lens slots etc, but not sure if it's a grit problem or something more mechanical. Now wondering whether worth replacing the lens again (cost dependent), or time to call it a day on this one.

Any advice, or a lens replacement quote much appreciated.

(Great little camera generally, just lets itself down with this particular weakness).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

Make. Schneider-Kreuznach
    Item. Lens
    Model. 90mm super angulon
    Fault. All speeds are off. Lowest speed 1 second is off by about 30 seconds,the rest are off by a couple of stops.
    When how it happened. Not sure, I got the lens 'broken' ie jammed, but fiddling with the shutter un jammed it,I've used it a couple of times ok but just checked it recently with a speed tester app and discovered the problems. I could live with a couple of stops out at all speeds knowing what the speeds are,but staying open for 30 seconds on the 1 second setting is probably a sign of bad things to happen. Probably a long shot,I don't know if you work on the old manual lenses with shutters or if looking else where is the thing to do,please let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭JrdanB

Make: Zuiko

Model: 50mm, f/1.8 "japan" version, om mount

Fault: Fungus in the lens

When/how it happened:

I bought an OM-1n in a charity shop the other day, and there's fungus in the lens - I've had 2 rolls developed and it doesn't seem to have any affect, but I'd rather it be sorted before it gets any worse - I've never seen fungus in a lens before so I don't know if there's a lot in there or not. If anyone here is relatively experienced and wants to take a risk-free, no responsibility-for-breaking-it look at it, I'd be very grateful!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 kostar

Hi!

Make: Nikon

Item: Lense

Model: Nikon 85mm F/1.4 lense

Fault: No autofocus, no auto aperture.

When/how it happened: Fall. No visible damage, no noise etc. But manual focus & aperture works fine. Need this to be fixed.

How much to fix it or can you give me an idea how to fix it myself.

Thank you!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Item: DSLR BODY

Model: EOS 350D

Fault: Shutter button not working all the time

When/how it happened: Just out of the blue when you press the shutter button to take a pic nothing happens. It may work perfectly 5 out of every 10 times and sometimes it may take a few seconds to take the pic but its very inconsistent. Am not pushed on getting it fixed as I have a 40D as well but its a very handy light & spare camera to have.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 mcgee189

Make: Nikon lens
    Model: 24-120 Nikkor AF-S 1:3.5-5.6 G
    Fault: Barrel bent, focus ring gone off thread, zoom -can manually force in out, but AF does not work, stuck as gone off thread
    How: Fell off tripod

The lens won't work, although glass seems to be intact, If on camera, makes whirring noise and refuses to focus.

Could you have a look at it, as the Nikon repair centre is usually 180€ plus, whatever the fault?

Thanks
    Grainne

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Splinters

Model : 70-20 2.8 IS
    Fault: Focus not working

I was shooting a wedding during the week and managed to drop my favourite lens on the ground. The caps stayed on and theres no damage to the glass but now the autofocus isnt working, nor can I manually focus. The focus rings turns fine and feels the same as always but it not changing the focus at all. I'm really hoping I havent fecked it up totally as its one of my most used lenses :(

Splinters wrote: »
    Model : 70-20 2.8 IS
    Fault: Focus not working

I was shooting a wedding during the week and managed to drop my favourite lens on the ground. The caps stayed on and theres no damage to the glass but now the autofocus isnt working, nor can I manually focus. The focus rings turns fine and feels the same as always but it not changing the focus at all. I'm really hoping I havent fecked it up totally as its one of my most used lenses :(

It sounds like mechanically something is damaged or misaligned where the focus ring and motor interact with the barrels jamming the mechanism.

If you would like to PM me I can give you more details?

mcgee189 wrote: »
    Make: Nikon lens
    Model: 24-120 Nikkor AF-S 1:3.5-5.6 G
    Fault: Barrel bent, focus ring gone off thread, zoom -can manually force in out, but AF does not work, stuck as gone off thread
    How: Fell off tripod

The lens won't work, although glass seems to be intact, If on camera, makes whirring noise and refuses to focus.

Could you have a look at it, as the Nikon repair centre is usually 180€ plus, whatever the fault?

Thanks
    Grainne

I would be happy to have a look for you.
    It sounds like the fall has damaged in inner barrel or AF gears.

• Advertisement

charlieIRL wrote: »

Item: DSLR BODY

Model: EOS 350D

Fault: Shutter button not working all the time

When/how it happened: Just out of the blue when you press the shutter button to take a pic nothing happens. It may work perfectly 5 out of every 10 times and sometimes it may take a few seconds to take the pic but its very inconsistent. Am not pushed on getting it fixed as I have a 40D as well but its a very handy light & spare camera to have.

It sounds like the shutter button is failing, you may notice if you apply more pressure it will take pictures quickly. Usually caused by the rubber membrane on the switch wearing through or dirt/oxidisation on the contacts of the switch.
    If you PM me I can give you details on the repair involved.

kostar wrote: »
    Hi!

Make: Nikon

Item: Lense

Model: Nikon 85mm F/1.4 lense

Fault: No autofocus, no auto aperture.

When/how it happened: Fall. No visible damage, no noise etc. But manual focus & aperture works fine. Need this to be fixed.

How much to fix it or can you give me an idea how to fix it myself.

Thank you!

I would have to have a look at the lens to see what is wrong with it to be honest. With no likely cause and no noise or errors it is not possible to say what is wrong without opening up the lens.

PM me for details if you would like?

JrdanB wrote: »
    Make: Zuiko

Model: 50mm, f/1.8 "japan" version, om mount

Fault: Fungus in the lens

When/how it happened:

I bought an OM-1n in a charity shop the other day, and there's fungus in the lens - I've had 2 rolls developed and it doesn't seem to have any affect, but I'd rather it be sorted before it gets any worse - I've never seen fungus in a lens before so I don't know if there's a lot in there or not. If anyone here is relatively experienced and wants to take a risk-free, no responsibility-for-breaking-it look at it, I'd be very grateful!
    If you would like to PM me I can give you my email address you could forward pictures to and I can give you more details.

dubtom wrote: »
    Make. Schneider-Kreuznach
    Item. Lens
    Model. 90mm super angulon
    Fault. All speeds are off. Lowest speed 1 second is off by about 30 seconds,the rest are off by a couple of stops.
    When how it happened. Not sure, I got the lens 'broken' ie jammed, but fiddling with the shutter un jammed it,I've used it a couple of times ok but just checked it recently with a speed tester app and discovered the problems. I could live with a couple of stops out at all speeds knowing what the speeds are,but staying open for 30 seconds on the 1 second setting is probably a sign of bad things to happen. Probably a long shot,I don't know if you work on the old manual lenses with shutters or if looking else where is the thing to do,please let me know.
    Sorry for the super late reply on this, I haven't been on this thread in a bit and missed notifications.
    I do occasionally work on older lenses with lens shutters in them.
    It could either be slow due to dried up lubricant, wear on gears and levers or worn/weak springs.
    I would be happy to have a look for you but I can't guarantee I can fix it due to the age of the lens and access to parts etc...

Mick Regan wrote: »

Model: G11

Fault: Lens won't retract. Error message - 'Lens Error, Restart Camera'

When/how it happened: Yesterday. Turned camera on, zoomed in to take picture, turned camera off and lens failed to retract. (Can hear motor attempting to retract, but stops almost immediately - error message appears, and camera turns itself off). Camera has not been dropped or knocked, and is well looked after. Had same fault 18 months ago and lens was replaced.

Have tried gentle knocking, cleaning around the lens slots etc, but not sure if it's a grit problem or something more mechanical. Now wondering whether worth replacing the lens again (cost dependent), or time to call it a day on this one.

Any advice, or a lens replacement quote much appreciated.

(Great little camera generally, just lets itself down with this particular weakness).

Tough to say what is wrong on this one. There could be a number of causes from damaged gear teeth on the main barrel/gears assembly to sensors misaligned. If you would like to PM me I could have a look for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

I have a Canon 450d that I'm looking to buy a remote control for - do I need to buy a receiver for it as well or will a remote control automatically work for the 450d? I'm getting some different answers around the internet so thought I might ask here.

Teferi wrote: »
    I have a Canon 450d that I'm looking to buy a remote control for - do I need to buy a receiver for it as well or will a remote control automatically work for the 450d? I'm getting some different answers around the internet so thought I might ask here.
    IR remotes will work but range is limited. The 450D has the IR receiver on the front grip.

If you want to use a radio or wired remote the wired remote has to be the mini jack type connector to the camera. The radio type remotes need a receiver that connects to the same socket normally with the receiver normally sitting on the hotshoe.

Let me know if that answers your question.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Ah good stuff, that's perfect thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 deckoc

Canon 5d mark ii. Won't turn on. LCD panel flashes when battery is inserted even when camera is switched off. Removed all batteries including CMOS battery, no joy. Battery is fully charged.

Advice greatly appreciated.

Declan

• Registered Users Posts: 24 daraclare

Item: Canon 7D Kit Lens

Model: Canon 18-135

Fault: Auto Focus on lens not working fully, the focus is not sharp

When/how it happened: I'm not sure, it was handed back to me that way. I don't think it got a bump, but can't be sure. I've tried other lens on my camera body and they work fine, so I'm sure it is a problem with the lens. The broken lens does try to focus, it makes a noise, but the results are not sharp.

• Advertisement

daraclare wrote: »

Item: Canon 7D Kit Lens

Model: Canon 18-135

Fault: Auto Focus on lens not working fully, the focus is not sharp

When/how it happened: I'm not sure, it was handed back to me that way. I don't think it got a bump, but can't be sure. I've tried other lens on my camera body and they work fine, so I'm sure it is a problem with the lens. The broken lens does try to focus, it makes a noise, but the results are not sharp.

I would have to have a look to see how the lens is behaving or to see if there is any damage/dirt inside that could be causing that issue.
    I had a friend recently complain about her lens of the same model not being sharp enough actually so I'm curious myself as to the cause.

PM me for more details if you would like?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 WoodpeckerCZ

Make: Sigma (nikon mount)

Model: EX 105mm f/2.8 Macro (pre DG version)

Fault: Aperture ring not working

When/how it happened:

I was attempting to clean my lens and begun disassembly when i figured that it is way too complicated for me to do.
    I decided to put it back together which i managed to do but i've found out that small bearing fell out and now the aperture ring is lose (spins through without locking in any position) and shows EE insted of F number on the camera. the lens works when i lock the aperture ring for automatic use.
    this wouldn't trouble me normaly, but i'd like to sell the lens and want to sell it in 100% working condition.(the sale was pre problem decision not after :D )

• Registered Users Posts: 4 WoodpeckerCZ

i figured i need to put the bearing (less than 1mm in diameter) back in but i cannot seem to figure out where to.
    if anyone can help, it would be great :)

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Balfey1972

Big thanks to Zerohamster who repaired a 24-105 lens and fixed my Canon G11. The 24-105 lens was deemed beyond economic repair by 2 shops but he repaired it for under €100.

Great work as ever. A pleasure to deal with.
    Cannot recommend him highly enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Hi Zerohamster, hope your keeping well.
    Canon 40d
    Getting an error 99 message on camera. Take out battery and its good for a few shots. It toppled over when on tripod.

Sigma 17 -70 f2.8 wont auto focus. On Manual it can be focused but very stiff. This lens was on the camera when it toppled off the tripod.

Camera problem might be easily solved as I had used a bit of tape to keep battery compartment sealed tight but not so sure about the lens.

Thanks
    LeoB

• Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭vandriver

Canon 17-85 lens
    Canon 450 d

The lens has started to give "err 1" please clean contacts.
    Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭protog777

Canon

CPL Filter 58mm

1100D with 18-55mm Canon Lens

The filter is stuck on the lens and it won't come off. I have tried using a filter wrench but it still wont budge.

Any suggestions? Thanks, protog777

I would have to take a look at the lens to see why it's not displaying the correct aperture value.
    I should have a bearing around that size to substitute if you want to PM me to arrange?
    Make: Sigma (nikon mount)

Model: EX 105mm f/2.8 Macro (pre DG version)

Fault: Aperture ring not working

When/how it happened:

I was attempting to clean my lens and begun disassembly when i figured that it is way too complicated for me to do.
    I decided to put it back together which i managed to do but i've found out that small bearing fell out and now the aperture ring is lose (spins through without locking in any position) and shows EE insted of F number on the camera. the lens works when i lock the aperture ring for automatic use.
    this wouldn't trouble me normaly, but i'd like to sell the lens and want to sell it in 100% working condition.(the sale was pre problem decision not after :D )

LeoB wrote: »
    Hi Zerohamster, hope your keeping well.
    Canon 40d
    Getting an error 99 message on camera. Take out battery and its good for a few shots. It toppled over when on tripod.

Sigma 17 -70 f2.8 wont auto focus. On Manual it can be focused but very stiff. This lens was on the camera when it toppled off the tripod.

Camera problem might be easily solved as I had used a bit of tape to keep battery compartment sealed tight but not so sure about the lens.

Thanks
    LeoB
    Hey Leo,

I'd be happy to have a look at the body and lens for you. I have an idea about the body at least as I have seen drop damaged 40Ds mirror lever pop out of place...in saying that, error 99 is a broad spectrum error so if it isn't that I have diagnostic gear.

I would have to have a look at the lens as there could be a few things causing no AF but it sounds like something bend or misaligned.

PM me if you would like?

• Advertisement

vandriver wrote: »
    Canon 17-85 lens
    Canon 450 d

The lens has started to give "err 1" please clean contacts.
    Any ideas?

Hey, that sounds like it could be the common diaphragm failure that happens on the 17-85mm commonly.
    If you would like to PM me I can give you more details about repair etc...

Advertisement