Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JRPG general discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,950 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Getting custom firmware on your psp couldn't be simpler. All it takes is putting a file on the mem card and running it to swap from custom firmware to regular firmware.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

I see Tales of Graces f - Knight Edition is on sale on PSN for E15.

If you've played it, what are you're opinions?

Worth it or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

F1ngers wrote: »
    I see Tales of Graces f - Knight Edition is on sale on PSN for E15.

If you've played it, what are you're opinions?

Worth it or not?

It is not the best Tales game, takes ages to get going, has pretty bad voice acting which goes out of sync and the graphics are in no great shapes either, but you can't go wrong with price even if you end up not liking it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

Played the Lightning Returns demo on chinese PSN. Combat seems a little more involved but it still feels very boring and the game just looks low-budget. Not at all interested in catching up on this world. Bring on FFXV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Xenji wrote: »
    It is not the best Tales game, takes ages to get going, has pretty bad voice acting which goes out of sync and the graphics are in no great shapes either, but you can't go wrong with price even if you end up not liking it.
    Bought it there 2 days ago.

Have put over 17hrs into it already.

Make of that what you will.

Some screenshots of the new FFVI re-release.

http://toucharcade.com/2014/01/16/final-fantasy-vi-android-first-impressions/

I know retro will probably hate it but I personally prefer the new look. Although it's a little too bright and colourful and the sprites look very odd.

I hope there's some sort of new soundtrack option and a way to play with the old soundtrack as well.

Is anyone thinking of picking up The Witch and the Hundred Knight, have it pre ordered, but it seems to have got pretty mixed reception since its JP release.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,950 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

snausages wrote: »

I know retro will probably hate it but I personally prefer the new look. Although it's a little too bright and colourful and the sprites look very odd.

I hope there's some sort of new soundtrack option and a way to play with the old soundtrack as well.

Looks pretty disgusting. The high res sprites against the lo res backgrounds is very jarring and makes it look so cheap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭megaten

http://www.ricedigital.co.uk/rune-factory-4-cancelled-europe/

I was hoping to get into the rune factory games with this release. Oh well.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭_Godot_

Awwww I wanted Rune Factory 4. :(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Is that lightning returns?

Is Bravely Default any good?

RPGAMER best of the year:

http://www.rpgamer.com/awards/2013/

Seems like a very good list. One thing though is SMTIV on the most disappointing list. I agree with somethings they say (it does get too easy later on and the overworld map is awful) about it but saying AI companions can cause a party wipe due to silly decisions is just blame false. As a follow up to Nocturne well yeah it doesn't really live up to that game so was a disappointment although not to Ni No Kuni levels. I still think it deserves a best soundtrack nod.

I wish SMT would return to consoles. 3DS puts me right off bothering with SMTIV. Nocturne quickly became one of the most involved RPGs I've ever put time into and was one of my biggest gaming surprises considering I basically only picked it up because Dante was on the cover. I've never enjoyed handheld gaming.

Can't agree with that opinion myself. I much prefer my RPGs on handhelds, it's the perfect platform for them. SMTIV works really well on it and I've enjoyed lots of other RPG's on them.

If you like JRPGs and don't have a 3DS or Vita, really you're doing it wrong because outside of niche titles and FF the genre is pretty much dead on home consoles.

I don't see what advantage handhelds bring to RPGs. On-the-go gaming to me is the gaming equivalent of watching a film on your phone or listening to an audiobook as you cook dinner. It's a technically inferior way to deliver a game experience in just about every respect unless you're into touch screen functionality and frankly I haven't seen any really good implementations of that yet for an RPG. Anyway, there's always the Wii-U control pad.

Not that I'm asking for big budget FFXV style productions either.

It just suits the format a whole lot better. Sitting down to play a RPG on a console is a big time investment whereas on a handheld console you can play it in shorter chunks and concessions are made for playing in shorter chunks. Also because of the low barrier of entry in terms of budget with handheld gaming you get a lot more experimental or interesting RPGs like back in the PS1/2 era.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

touch screen functionality and frankly I haven't seen any really good implementations of that yet for an RPG. .
    The World Ends with You is an innovative RPG(-Lite) with brilliant touchscreen controls.

So many excellent RPGs on handhelds from Trails in the Sky to Radiant Historia. And if you want experimental genre breaking stuff there's the likes of Rondo of Swords or Knights in the Nightmare.

If you're not a fan of pixel graphics I could understand, as most of these games are aesthetically 16-bit on steroids, but you really should give them a go.

• Advertisement

The next few months are looking good for the Vita with 7 games coming out, will probably pick up all of them, except for Mind Zero.

Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc - 14/02 EU
    Final Fantasy X / X-2 HD Remaster - 18/03 US
    Conception II: Children of the Seven Stars - 15/04 US
    Demon Gaze - 25/04 EU
    Sorcery Saga: The Curse of the Great Curry God 21/02 EU
    Ys: Memories of Celceta - 21/02 EU ( already out in the US )
    Mind Zero - 27/05 US

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭megaten

I've heard mind zero is woeful. I might get demon gaze if I can beat etrian oddessy before it comes out.

megaten wrote: »
    I've heard mind zero is woeful. I might get demon gaze if I can beat etrian oddessy before it comes out.

Yeah I have not heard anything good about it, Demon Gaze is meant to be quite similar to Etrian Odyssey from reading up on importers impressions of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

I puked a little in my mouth there. Argggg.

And Bravery default so good.

Started Ys: Memories of Celceta yesterday. My god is it a lot of fun. It's not the best looking vita game but as usual it has the same blisteringly fast Ys combat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

Who else is playing Bravely Default? It keeps harassing me for friend related stuff so a few friend codes would be handy!

Incidentally, I'm finding it really enjoyable.

Newaglish wrote: »
    Who else is playing Bravely Default? It keeps harassing me for friend related stuff so a few friend codes would be handy!

Incidentally, I'm finding it really enjoyable.

If it is for upgrading your town, friend requests do not work, if you go to the save screen and hit update, you will get about 3-4 workers for it per day. It is a great game, but gets very tedious for about 2 chapters, but the payoff at the end is well worth it.

So FFXIII-3 actually sounds great, a real B-tier experimental RPG that you would get during the PS1 era:

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/lightning-returns-ps3-review-the-future-of-final-fantasy-no-but-definitely-an-intriguingly-weird-present

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    So FFXIII-3 actually sounds great, a real B-tier experimental RPG that you would get during the PS1 era:

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/lightning-returns-ps3-review-the-future-of-final-fantasy-no-but-definitely-an-intriguingly-weird-present

Didn't realise it was out friday,was gonna get it but I havent finished the other two so no point really.

• Advertisement

Reviews for it are mixed, although most of the funnily enough say it's a lot better than the last two. Yet it has a lower metascore.

Advertisement