Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Boggers Log

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

menoscemo wrote: »
    I dunno.
    That session indicates to me that you are in sub 1:30 HM shape and if you are in Sub 1:30 HM shape you should be in sub 3:10 marathon shape (especially since you are training for a marathon, not a half).

Thanks Meno,

Appreciate the response.

I suppose I'm probably looking at this the wrong way around (but this is my first time doing a structured training plan), it's because I think I'm in sub 1.30 HM form that I should have been stronger on the tempo run?

TbL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Thanks Meno,

Appreciate the response.

I suppose I'm probably looking at this the wrong way around (but this is my first time doing a structured training plan), it's because I think I'm in sub 1.30 HM form that I should have been stronger on the tempo run?

TbL

You need to look at the bigger picture. Just look at what you have done in the last 7 days

- 23 mile run
    - Just under 20 min of 5k paced running

And this is on top of your usual mileage and you hit your tempo at quicker than 1.30 pace on a hilly loop. You should feel comfortably tired at the end of this sort of work (enough that you can hold it if needed but tired non the less)

Personally I always find 5 mile tempo's tough enough and you start to wonder whether you could hold it but you tend to forget that going into a race you do not have the cumulative fatigue that training is designed to give you.

Looking at the run to me personally I think you ran it well and look well on track. Look at all the factors on any one session before determining whether it is good or bad, main thing is the effort was there and you will get the physical benefits from it.

Keep up the good work you have been consistently plugging through and the pieces of the puzzle are falling into place one by one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 617 ✭✭✭pa4

I wouldn't worry to much about it. We all have those unexplained days where we don't him out target time. Your still flying it at the moment, that solid base you've built isn't going anywhere :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Thanks Meno,

Appreciate the response.

TbL

No way. I always say that a pace I can hold for 6 miles in training is my race pace for HM.
    Any time I have done a 6 mile tempo, I have been basically dying at the end just about holding the pace for the last mile but I have always held that same pace for a HM a week or two later.

The fact that your tempo run was over a hilly loop probably indicates to me that you are in 1:28 shape on a flat HM.

menoscemo wrote: »
    No way. I always say that a pace I can hold for 6 miles in training is my race pace for HM.
    Any time I have done a 6 mile tempo, I have been basically dying at the end just about holding the pace for the last mile but I have always held that same pace for a HM a week or two later.

The fact that your tempo run was over a hilly loop probably indicates to me that you are in 1:28 shape on a flat HM.

Tnx Menomotivator,

If i do the 3.10, the drinks are on me for all posters here!

TbL

• Advertisement

Tnx Menomotivator,

TbL

Lump your money on Flanna's new banker and we'll all be in drinks for the rest of the year ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Tnx Menomotivator,

TbL

How about you just get your fellow Seville Marathoners drunk?? :-P

yaboya1 wrote: »
    How about you just get your fellow Seville Marathoners drunk?? :-P

The way your running Yaboya you'll be on the champagne, I'm a tight fecker and I'll only extend to sparkling wine :)

TbL

The way your running Yaboya you'll be on the champagne, I'm a tight fecker and I'll only extend to sparkling wine :)

TbL

If I'm first in, I'll buy the first round ;-)

Sat: was moving fire logs all day, back a bit stiff so decided to to abandon the called for 40-50 mins run and eat a jumbo bag of minstrels instead.

Sun: program called for 18 miles with last 6-8 miles at MP.

Did the first 10 miles nice and easy at 8.25 average.

Did the next 7.5 miles, in gusting winds at 7.09 average.

Took no fluids or gels again.

TbL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Sat: was moving fire logs all day, back a bit stiff so decided to to abandon the called for 40-50 mins run and eat a jumbo bag of minstrels instead.

Sun: program called for 18 miles with last 6-8 miles at MP.

Did the first 10 miles nice and easy at 8.25 average.

Did the next 7.5 miles, in gusting winds at 7.09 average.

Took no fluids or gels again.

TbL

I over looked the minstrels in favour of a jumbo bag of malteasers. Sharing bag me arse.

Nice run today

Monday: rest

Tuesday: program called for a 50-60 min ER or 15-30 wu/cd followed by 10-12 strides with 60 seconds rest between strides.

Did the latter, 2 mile wu and cd and 12 strides.

Ps. I hate the feckin wind

Wed: program called for 70 min run, couldn't run in those conditions so stayed inside under the table!

Thur: program called for 40 min ER, I'm taking this tapering business seriously so didn't venture out again.

Friday: program called for usual 15-30 wu & cd, followed by 3-4 2k reps with 2.5 mins recovery.

I needed to get out today but the weather was atrocious, eventually ventured out in a gale and driving sleet/snow. Road surface was getting slippy so decided discretion was required and I canned the reps and did 7 easy miles instead.

Have a 12 miler with 6 at MP this weekend and a couple of easy runs next week and then that's it!

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Duanington

Wed: program called for 70 min run, couldn't run in those conditions so stayed inside under the table!

Thur: program called for 40 min ER, I'm taking this tapering business seriously so didn't venture out again.

TbL

MAN UP :D

Hey D,

Yea I must be getting soft, and spending too much time baring my soul on the athletics forum :)

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Hey big fella,

Apparently your my love match........

How u doin'?

Hey big fella,

Apparently your my love match........

How u doin'?

Sweet Jesus,

Have you been at the sherry.

I'd said I wanted to give cross training a go, not cross dressing :)

Happy Valentines!

Ha ha, that's hilarious but I see you're two timing me!

TbL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Ha ha, that's hilarious but I see you're two timing me!

TbL

I wouldn't worry. He can be anything/anyone you want him to be;) old, young, king, queen, whatever...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Cleanman

haha, I got Tom Joad. But AMK and RK were joint second!! :D

Program called for 40 min ER

Did 5 easy miles under the moonlight.

Moonlight was so bright at times that I was able to run with the head torch off.

Thought it was cool till I nearly bit the dust, that'd look very smart on my behalf; was running along serenely under the moonlight until I busted my ankle!!

TbL

Program called for 12 miles with 6 miles at MP.

Did 11.8 miles with the last 6 miles @ 7.11 average. My head was telling me that it wasn't as comfortable as it should have been, but my heads all over the place with this wind down crap :)

TbL

Don't know or care what the program called for at this stage!

First run this week, did 4.75 miles with 3 crap 1k reps in the middle.

Am away for a few days with the family for mid term and the missus and 2 of the kids are on antibiotics for throat infections. I feel like going around like one of those Rubber Bandits with a plastic bag over my face!

TbL

Don't know or care what the program called for at this stage!

First run this week, did 4.75 miles with 3 crap 1k reps in the middle.

Am away for a few days with the family for mid term and the missus and 2 of the kids are on antibiotics for throat infections. I feel like going around like one of those Rubber Bandits with a plastic bag over my face!

TbL

I'm the same. Feel like I've the symptoms of a sore throat, blocked nose, chesty cough etc., yet none of them have materialised and I've no problems hitting the target splits once I start running. Taper madness at it's worst!

Best of luck at the weekend. Any idea of your number so we can keep a track on your progress?

Thanks a lot Meno,

Number is 1056, didn't think I was going to be able to toe the line as a lot of crap was cropping up earlier today but looks like I'll make it now. Thank feck!

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Thanks a lot Meno,

Number is 1056, didn't think I was going to be able to toe the line as a lot of crap was cropping up earlier today but looks like I'll make it now. Thank feck!

TbL

smile.pngsmile.pngsmile.png

Best of luck, looking forward to the report!!

Go nail it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Best of luck and enjoy the bit of sun!!!!

Advertisement