Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wedding DJ - Reducing hours

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭clint_silver

lms84 wrote: »
    I just heard back from my DJ and he was not happy having to cut down his hours from full night to half. He was kinda rude on the fone and said that he usually doesn't play at my venue and has not taken any further bookings for that hotel. He said he would still honour the agreement.
    He has reduced his cost from €900 to €500. He said the reason for this is that he will have to hire another person to help him to set up, as this venues access means he cannot do it by himself.
    I really want to get another DJ now as I feel he might not be great to work with.
    Problem is...my wedding is in 11 weeks and everyone I have called so far is booked up.
    Is there anyone that can help.
    Wedding is in Donegal.

He usually doesnt play at that venue? what does that mean? Never heard that before unless he's travelling a really long distance at which you could be seeing a premium being added on. Wheres he based?

As for needing another person, I can tell you thats complete crap. There isnt a venue in the country that he cant get into on his own unless he's got some physical disability. I've played 90% of venues in the country and sometimes due to to stairs a DJ might have to make 2-3 trips to the car instead of 1 but thats the DJs problem.

Now if he WANTS to ask someone to give him a hand, again, thats his own problem and should come out of his cost, but really if he's working as a mobile DJ he should be able to bring gear in anywhere on his own.

You're kind of stuck a little here, if youve tried a few and theyre all gone, I could give you some numbers in dublin but you'd paying a premium to go to Donegal.

I will say 500e is on the higher end of the cost fir a post-band DJ but if youve heard him play and are happy Id suggest maybe going ahead with it at this stage for ease of mind, unless you contact some the agencies, head over to weddingsonline and youll get a list of guys near there. might get something for 300-350.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭goalscoringhero

I just heard back from my DJ and he was not happy having to cut down his hours from full night to half. He was kinda rude on the fone and said that he usually doesn't play at my venue and has not taken any further bookings for that hotel. He said he would still honour the agreement.
    He has reduced his cost from €900 to €500. He said the reason for this is that he will have to hire another person to help him to set up, as this venues access means he cannot do it by himself.
    I really want to get another DJ now as I feel he might not be great to work with.
    Problem is...my wedding is in 11 weeks and everyone I have called so far is booked up.
    Is there anyone that can help.
    Wedding is in Donegal.

Reduction from EUR 900 to EUR 500 for half the agreed time is just above half the agreed original cost - that sounds fair to me, given that DJ has still same overhead of travel, set up, etc.
    maria34 wrote: »
    What a cheek of him! My boyfriend is doing DJng and he doesnt charge anything near that! And i know he is good as i have heard it from different people.

Search around, you might find someone cheaper and less attitude :-)

What's the cheek exactly? The OP agreed to pay EUR 900 originally, whether that's warranted or not is not the question - seemingly OP had her reasons for hiring that DJ for that kind of money in the first place.

What amount do you expect the DJ to come down to from the originally agreed price, for half the hours?

kippy wrote: »
    DJ'ing at a wedding is not fecking rocket science. The guy is totally ripping you off - I dont care who he is. All his excuses are his problem, not yours.

It is still a job most of us cannot do to a satisfying degree. As far as I can see from the OP's post, the DJ is not giving excuses to rip her off. He is pointing out reasons for his price. The OP agreed to this before clarifying with her other half the details of the musical entertainment for the evening.

OP I would stick to this DJ and try to iron out anything beforehand to ensure the wedding continues to be great after the band has finished. Give him a few hints and suggest a list of songs that you (and the groom) would like to hear so the DJ can work them into the schedule.

I'd say it will be hard to find a good DJ so close to the date for EUR 350 or less, for the sake of saving 50 quid or so...

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 lms84

GOOD NEWS!
    I have found a DJ willing to travel up from Galway to play for only €350.
    He has been recommended to me by a well known radio DJ in that area so I am happy to have him.
    I checked him out and he has a good reputation and a full set of equipment. It could not have worked out better.
    I'd like to say an open thanks to everyone who has helped here especially Darragh O Dea.

Now all I need to do is find out if I can get my €100 deposit back from my previous DJ.
    I did not receive and official receipt from him.
    I sent a letter stating 'Please find enclosed - my deposit', which he photocopied and sent back to me.
    Don't know where this leaves me as there is no real proof that I sent it as I don't have his signature.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

GOOD NEWS!
    He has been recommended to me by a well known radio DJ in that area so I am happy to have him.
    I checked him out and he has a good reputation and a full set of equipment. It could not have worked out better.
    I'd like to say an open thanks to everyone who has helped here especially Darragh O Dea.

Now all I need to do is find out if I can get my €100 deposit back from my previous DJ.
    I sent a letter stating 'Please find enclosed - my deposit', which he photocopied and sent back to me.
    Don't know where this leaves me as there is no real proof that I sent it as I don't have his signature.

I doubt you'll get your deposit back but if you don't try you'll never know. Darragh is a pet, we have him booked for our wedding on New Years Eve and I really cannot wait for it I just know the night is going to be amazing with him as DJ.

GOOD NEWS!

The deposit is to protect both sides in case something happens. him in case you pull out and leave him with no earnings for the night and you in case someone else tries to book him.
    some bands and DJs I know would give the deposit back if cancelled within a certain timeframe, say 6 months, 11 weeks is cutting a bit though.

This is his business and livelihood and due to nothing he's done he's gone from 900 to 500 and now potentially nothing if you ask for the 100 back.

So just a cautionary note, you've entered into a contract with him by booking him and paying deposit, it shouldn't go any further but protect yourself by ringing first guy. Just say really sorry, things change and what with booking the band we cant afford 500 for a DJ.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭marialouise

Sorry but why are you asking for your deposit back?
    You're cancelling him, he is under absolutely no obligation to give that back.

As was said he's gone from €900- €500 to €100. You're still totalling only €450 (€350 for the second dj plus the €100 deposit for the first) for a choice ye made, so I would just leave it at that, whether he was rude or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

I would be very careful if you have signed a contract. I've known of many uk djs who went to court to get their fee after being cancelled in such circumstances. I don't know why you didn't keep him at the 500e rate anyway. He was surely taken back and rightly annoyed at the late change from full set to after band but did compromise. In the end you will save 50e and have broken your word.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,468 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Okay,
    I've looked at this thread again and a few things spring to mind.

This is the OP's first thread on boards and indeed their first post.
    The initial story didnt make much sense to me, if I am being honest. Eventually over a couple of weeks a DJ gets mentioned by name and location by the OP who has somehow saved the day - for the sake of 50 quid and a lot less hassle.

Forgive me for being the devils advocate here but this entire thread doesnt look right, I'd suggest its an elaborate shill to be honest.

Okay,
    I've looked at this thread again and a few things spring to mind.

This is the OP's first thread on boards and indeed their first post.
    The initial story didnt make much sense to me, if I am being honest. Eventually over a couple of weeks a DJ gets mentioned by name and location by the OP who has somehow saved the day - for the sake of 50 quid and a lot less hassle.

Forgive me for being the devils advocate here but this entire thread doesnt look right, I'd suggest its an elaborate shill to be honest.

Op said the dj in question helped her out. He's not the one doing the gig someone else is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭BizzyC

That seems like a lot of hassle to go through for the sake of €50...

• Advertisement

January wrote: »
    Op said the dj in question helped her out. He's not the one doing the gig someone else is.

As I said an elaborate one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

trust me Kippy. Darragh doesn't need shills at all your way off the mark.

As I said an elaborate one.

I don't know him personally but will say if ever a guy didn't need a shill to generate business, its him. Think you're reading too much into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭AoifeCork

Anybody else feeling a bit bummed for the original DJ? :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

At €900, not even slightly.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭AoifeCork

He has to eat/pay rent/live as well though.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,377 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Reduction from EUR 900 to EUR 500 for half the agreed time is just above half the agreed original cost - that sounds fair to me, given that DJ has still same overhead of travel, set up, etc.

What's the cheek exactly? The OP agreed to pay EUR 900 originally, whether that's warranted or not is not the question - seemingly OP had her reasons for hiring that DJ for that kind of money in the first place.

Best of luck!

I would see a mixture of niaveity and wedding excitement. She more than likely never hired a DJ before and got caught up in the excitement and agreed an exorbitant price

I don't know him personally but will say if ever a guy didn't need a shill to generate business, its him. Think you're reading too much into it.

I never heard of the only named business on this thread before this thread......I assume there are plenty more like me.....no matter how little this guy didnt need a shill.

You've never heard of Darragh O'Dea, he's only worked for nearly every well known radio station in the country at this stage... he's one of the most well known disc jockeys out there.

January wrote: »
    You've never heard of Darragh O'Dea, he's only worked for nearly every well known radio station in the country at this stage... he's one of the most well known disc jockeys out there.

Never heard of him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,377 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Never heard of him.

Me neither

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,908 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Hey here's an idea! How about if someone thinks that a poster is shilling they use the 'report' button rather than dragging the thread off topic!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

AoifeCork wrote: »
    Anybody else feeling a bit bummed for the original DJ? :/

I think it's seriously poor form on the OP. I actually can't believe they're going to try to demand the deposit back as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Shyboy

Savman wrote: »
    At €900, not even slightly.

Hang on...the man charges what he charges for his service...ok, he might be more expensive than most of his competition but the op decided to go with him. Then the op reduced the hours and he reduced the price accordingly...

Now the op has decided to cancel but would like the deposit back...the man has probably turned down a few weddings for the same date as he was already booked. Now he is left with nothing...and no you have no sympathy??:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

ted1 wrote: »
    I would see a mixture of niaveity and wedding excitement. She more than likely never hired a DJ before and got caught up in the excitement and agreed an exorbitant price

Most couples organising a wedding would have never had occasion to hire a DJ, doesn't mean that the very first DJ quotes them the highest price he can think of.
    That said, since we don't know the DJ in question, he could be really popular (which I'd imagine should've meant he'd able to secure another booking, but still, not his problem if OP decides to half-time or cancel him) and/or awesome, or he could be chancing his arm.

While I'm delighted to hear you have your night's entertainment sorted out, I think you're being a little presumptuous to think you could get your deposit back. It's not his fault you had a change of plans, and as others have said he may have turned down other work on the night for your booking. Even cutting his hours means he cannot somehow make up for that time difference and therefore potential earnings lost on the same night (he was basically down from 900 to 500, with no other way now to make up the 400).
    The deposit is there to secure a booking, in case you change your mind and is rarely refundable, unless by the supplier's good grace. What would be the point of it otherwise?
    Usual mantra of if you don't ask you won't get, so if you feel comfortable asking him if he'd consider a refund of your deposit, then chance your arm, but certainly don't count on it, as you're not entitled to it.

I get the feeling the exchange between the OP and DJ didn't go too smoothly, and they'd feel more comfortable on the night to have someone there who's happy to be there. If I was the OP, I'd also prefer to go through "the hassle" of booking someone else if I didn't get on with a supplier.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Mobile Dj

No it was just after the meal

MAD money for a full evening wedding DJ.

€350 - €500 would be the going rate even with a large sound and lighting system (including back up equipment).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Mobile Dj wrote: »
    MAD money for a full evening wedding DJ.

€350 - €500 would be the going rate even with a large sound and lighting system (including back up equipment).

This DJ was also doing a band replacement though? normally a band does the first half. They changed the price to the standard 500 when the hours were reduced to the standard hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Mobile Dj

pwurple wrote: »
    This DJ was also doing a band replacement though? normally a band does the first half. They changed the price to the standard 500 when the hours were reduced to the standard hours.

Don't follow

After band €250 avg
    Full evening €350 avg

Al local without travel.

Mobile Dj wrote: »
    Don't follow

After band €250 avg
    Full evening €350 avg

Al local without travel.

I would have said those figures are below the average.

300e after band
    500e full night

is where Id have put the averages. I'm Djing a long time.

can you get cheaper? sure, can you get more expensive? sure.

caveat: Price is no guarantee of how good or bad a DJ is.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,908 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I would have said those figures are below the average.

300e after band
    500e full night

is where Id have put the averages. I'm Djing a long time.

can you get cheaper? sure, can you get more expensive? sure.

caveat: Price is no guarantee of how good or bad a DJ is.

I agree, I remember when I was booking a DJ those were the prices we were quoted the majority of the time, give or take a couple of euro. Same with two friends who got married recently and we were chatting comparing costs. Honestly, I'd be fairly reluctant to hire someone who was charging miles below their competitors. Unless it was a special offer with 50% off or something, I'd be concerned that the price would reflect the quality of their work.

Advertisement