Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wedding DJ - Reducing hours

Options
  • 15-01-2014 1:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi, I have booked a DJ for my wedding for the entire evening. I paid a deposit of €100 and have €800 left to pay.
    My H2B has now booked a band and I am going to have to ask the DJ to reduce his hours to half. I have no idea how that will go and if the DJ will be annoyed.
    Any advice? I still want my H2B to have his band, but I don't want to lose my really good DJ.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭PCros

I take it that he is a top DJ with that sort of money.

Just tell him the situation and see what he says. You may have to default on your deposit if he says no and then just go book another DJ at the normal rate of €350-450 to finish off the night after the band.

If you go with a DJ from the band your fiancé booked this may only cost you circa €250-€300.

Best of luck.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Very dear for a DJ imho :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

Im shocked a DJ would cost that much... Were going for the old MP3 playlist.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭PCros

I'm taking it that the DJ booked is most likely a radio DJ for that money.

Also the DJ would have to play for 6 hours or so?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

This has happened to me on two occasions recently. Rather than make a fuss and threatan legalities (very bad idea before a gig!) I accepted this and moved on. Hopefully feedback and word of mouth makes up for the loss. I hadn't turned down other higher paying work though and sometimes than can be the issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 lms84

Thanks for that everyone.
    And yes he is expensive, but only because he comes with a lot of equipment and my venue has none.
    I'll give him a call and see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭clint_silver

sweetie wrote: »
    This has happened to me on two occasions recently. Rather than make a fuss and threatan legalities (very bad idea before a gig!) I accepted this and moved on. Hopefully feedback and word of mouth makes up for the loss. I hadn't turned down other higher paying work though and sometimes than can be the issue.

same here, something usually happens 1-2 times a year.

Best to just say sure, thats no problem, eat up the loss rather than risk bad publicity. you cant win there.

If its a height of the season gig though it can be tricky as sweetie says that you really could be doing the guy out of 400 quid for the night that he was counting on and he would be within his rights to say no, I want full payment but would be surprising.

If he said he wanted the full amount then stand your ground, be prepared to lose the deposit and book someone else for 300-400 it normally costs for post band DJ.

At those rates it may even be through an agency in which case you really could be up against it. Ask first though, worry about it after.

lms84 wrote: »
    And yes he is expensive, but only because he comes with a lot of equipment and my venue has none.

:confused: all pro guys bring their own sound and lighting. They wouldn't be pro otherwise. how long of a gig was it? was it pre meal as well?

The wedding in in April so not exactly high season, but if he cancels on me, I'm afraid that I won't get another good DJ in such short notice.
    My band does not have DJ facility.

:confused: all pro guys bring their own sound and lighting. They wouldn't be pro otherwise. how long of a gig was it? was it pre meal as well?
    No it was just after the meal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Pretty much all wedding bands or dj have to bring everything they need with them. On the rare occasion Ive been told there is lights or PA at a wedding venue I've brought my own equipment anyway because I know how it's been treated, how it works and it can be relied on.
    same here, something usually happens 1-2 times a year.
    At those rates it may even be through an agency in which case you really could be up against it. Ask first though, worry about it after.

I agree, sounds very much like an agency dj to me too. Maybe worth looking at your contract before doing anything hasty as they can be more ruthless than sole operators.
    The wedding in in April so not exactly high season, but if he cancels on me, I'm afraid that I won't get another good DJ in such short notice.
    My band does not have DJ facility.

lots of good wedding djs hang around these here parts, eh Clint ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

PCros wrote: »
    I'm taking it that the DJ booked is most likely a radio DJ for that money.

Also the DJ would have to play for 6 hours or so?

Nah... I know radio DJ's that don't cost that much! :p

No it was just after the meal

If you got badly stuck you could probably rent out what is needed like lights or fog machine whatever you need and I am sure there would be some local DJ or something there who would do it for ye

Milly33 wrote: »
    If you got badly stuck you could probably rent out what is needed like lights or fog machine whatever you need and I am sure there would be some local DJ or something there who would do it for ye

do not recommend this, could be 150e down in rental fees and youve either over or under specced the equipment, find the venue dont allow smoke machines and find the DJ you just hired has his own gear which is better than the stuff you rented anyway.

OP, let us know what your DJ says, we'll find you someone who'll do it if he wont.

I shall go back to himself and say ahh ha I knew there was a reason I kept all this stuff like fog machines and lights tee hee

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭marialouise

Telling OP her DJ is expensive is not helpful? Lots of shoulda-woulda-coulda suggestions here .

Anyway OP Just call the DJ, explain your fiancé has booked a band and could he start a bit later and see what the cost is. Just apologise, but like it's still a night's work, so he shouldn't be too annoyed, it's not like your cancelling altogether and he's getting what he would get for a night elsewhere (unless he did turn down other work). Unless it's in the contract, it's hiiiiighly unlikely you'll have to pay the full amount. You'll get it sorted! Good luck :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

Wow! €900 for a full night wedding. It would want to be something very special with the sound and light for it to be that expensive. I consider myself to be a little big more expensive than the average DJ, but Im nowhere near that kind of price.

After band, you shouldnt have to pay pay more than another €250 plus deposit. Its basically 2-2.5 hours after the band.

Hope it works out for you. On a side not, an mp3 player at the end of the night is not the way to go, or it is if you want the night to die, and your guests go home!

Waiting to hear back from him. The phone went to message minder. I know from his facebook page that he is busy, so fingers crossed he returns my call soon.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

That is crazy money for a DJ.
    Our band were awesome and left the PA etc for a few hours after they finished for a friend who is an awesome DJ to use.
    saved us bringing our own PA etc.
    I hope that he is reasonable and you are giving him enough notice:)

Waiting to hear back from him. The phone went to message minder. I know from his facebook page that he is busy, so fingers crossed he returns my call soon.

Have you heard anything back from him yet!! Just pondering aswell where are you based

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭AoifeCork

Wow! €900 for a full night wedding. It would want to be something very special with the sound and light for it to be that expensive. I consider myself to be a little big more expensive than the average DJ, but Im nowhere near that kind of price.

After band, you shouldnt have to pay pay more than another €250 plus deposit. Its basically 2-2.5 hours after the band.

Hope it works out for you. On a side not, an mp3 player at the end of the night is not the way to go, or it is if you want the night to die, and your guests go home!

NOT necessarily true! A lot of people can't afford to have a DJ if they fork out for a great band and this option is becoming very popular. Don't knock it-it's a lot of couples first and only option when the budget is totted up!!!!

OP don't panic, as you said yourself, its not exactly high season-there is surely somebody out there who can help out if things get rough!

Best of luck

Defo the mp3 is great. or having your list of songs all set ready to go if you know someone whos into music you can ask them to put a roll on it where are the songs more or less run into ecahother. Been to plenty of weddings with it and tis great.. You can still have a mic set up if you really want I am sure there will be someone there willing to talk there always is....don't knock it till you try it have to say most DJ's in fairness now today just sit behind a laptop anywho tisnt like tis old school with records and that

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

AoifeCork wrote: »
    Don't knock it-it's a lot of couples first and only option when the budget is totted up!!!!

Music and food, the only things that make a wedding and the only thing your guests will really remember, colour schemes, flowers, themes etc etc, all fade into one big wedding blur. If you cant afford €250 for a DJ, you really need to cut something else out of your budget.
    I say this as someone who works in venues but nothing to do with music, I see weddings that have a DJ and weddings that have an Ipod, the Ipod is a disaster 90% of the time and I'm at 100-110 weddings per year.
    The DJ will play to the crowd, see what songs get the most people out and keep play them, he/she will also take requests and do silly little things like call the groom onto the dance floor if he's been at the bar for too long:D

Milly33 wrote: »
    Defo the mp3 is great. or having your list of songs all set ready to go if you know someone whos into music you can ask them to put a roll on it where are the songs more or less run into ecahother. Been to plenty of weddings with it and tis great.. You can still have a mic set up if you really want I am sure there will be someone there willing to talk there always is....don't knock it till you try it have to say most DJ's in fairness now today just sit behind a laptop anywho tisnt like tis old school with records and that

Youre describing bad and lazy DJs and they do exist but they are not in the majority no more than a bad photographers or a bad chef.

Good DJs read the floor more than the screen. If someone does their homework when booking they should be able to avoid the bad ones.

Theres a difference between playing your favorite songs and managing a dancefloor. Your mate might be able to take a half decent picture but it would be as good as a professionals? you might get lucky. you might not.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

Youre describing bad and lazy DJs and they do exist but they are not in the majority no more than a bad photographers or a bad chef.

Good DJs read the floor more than the screen. If someone does their homework when booking they should be able to avoid the bad ones.

Theres a difference between playing your favorite songs and managing a dancefloor. Your mate might be able to take a half decent picture but it would be as good as a professionals? you might get lucky. you might not.

It's not often I agree with Clint, but this is true. Lazy DJ = bad gig!

Sure isn't all what you want yourself really, yes I do agree that you can have your good and your bad DJs just as you do with bad service and all that goes. Just saying tisnt the worst option is done properly. Not all DJS will play Rick Astley haha only messing just lighting up the subject.

Back to it then have you heard back from your DJ IMs I hope it was a good outcome for ye

I just heard back from my DJ and he was not happy having to cut down his hours from full night to half. He was kinda rude on the fone and said that he usually doesn't play at my venue and has not taken any further bookings for that hotel. He said he would still honour the agreement.
    He has reduced his cost from €900 to €500. He said the reason for this is that he will have to hire another person to help him to set up, as this venues access means he cannot do it by himself.
    I really want to get another DJ now as I feel he might not be great to work with.
    Problem is...my wedding is in 11 weeks and everyone I have called so far is booked up.
    Is there anyone that can help.
    Wedding is in Donegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭maria34

What a cheek of him! My boyfriend is doing DJng and he doesnt charge anything near that! And i know he is good as i have heard it from different people.

Search around, you might find someone cheaper and less attitude :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭BizzyC

If he really is a good DJ, leave him be at this stage.

He's already got a deposit, so the only way you're going to save money is if you find someone else who's good, available and has all the equipment for less than €400.

Whatever about his attitude, in fairness he has a right to be annoyed, a lot of his business comes off of recommendations and people who go to weddings.
    It's in his best interest to show up and do a good job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,441 ✭✭✭✭kippy

DJ'ing at a wedding is not fecking rocket science. The guy is totally ripping you off - I dont care who he is. All his excuses are his problem, not yours.

You're in a bit of a situation now due to the time you have left and the lack of other options so you might have no choice.

One thing I would say is that DONT go down the route of using an MP3 player with a playlist as this can go wrong very fast if you dont have someone at least responsible for it.

Advertisement