Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wedding DJ - Reducing hours

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Mobile Dj

Toots* wrote: »
    I agree, I remember when I was booking a DJ those were the prices we were quoted the majority of the time, give or take a couple of euro. Same with two friends who got married recently and we were chatting comparing costs. Honestly, I'd be fairly reluctant to hire someone who was charging miles below their competitors. Unless it was a special offer with 50% off or something, I'd be concerned that the price would reflect the quality of their work.

Grand, I'd better up my rates and not feel guilty about ripping people off.

I would rate my standard of service and experience in the upper end of scale.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

My mind is actually blown to think that the OP hopes to get their deposit back. There are no words.....

To be honest €900 isn't completely off what we were quoted last year. Though saying that I wasn't actively looking for a full night DJ as we wanted a band - I was just being curious so didn't spend time shopping around. But I recall figures of around €600.

Remember as well that he was to travel to Donegal for this, so unless he is from somewhere near-ish, it's a pretty tedious journey - 3+ hours from Dublin for example. So you're looking at travel costs and possibly overnight accommodation. So €900 may not actually be too far off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

We paid €550 for our DJ. He played after our band until around 3am (ish) give or take 30 min (I was pretty merry so can't remember lol). That included him travelling (round trip of about 4 hours).

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Mobile Dj wrote: »
    Grand, I'd better up my rates and not feel guilty about ripping people off.

I would rate my standard of service and experience in the upper end of scale.

I'm not calling your standard of service into question, I'm expressing my opinion. You can do whatever you want with your rates. My point is that if I was looking for a service and called around for a load of quotes and they were all coming in at in and around the same price and someone quoted me less than half that price, I'd find it slightly off-putting as I'd be unsure that I'd be getting the same level of service. I'm sure I'm not the only one who would feel this way, either.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Mobile Dj

I'm not calling your standard of service into question, I'm expressing my opinion. You can do whatever you want with your rates. My point is that if I was looking for a service and called around for a load of quotes and they were all coming in at in and around the same price and someone quoted me less than half that price, I'd find it slightly off-putting as I'd be unsure that I'd be getting the same level of service. I'm sure I'm not the only one who would feel this way, either.

Not talking a poke at you at all.

I agree with what you say, just a pity it is all down to money charged, would you not look into the standard offered at the lower price at all giving it no further thought in the selection process.

Again I will up my prices when quoting for weddings from today on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,441 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Whst level of service do you expect from a DJ? Turn up on time. Standard sound system. Play music to keep people on the floor.......usually the same generic wedding disco music as everyother wedding.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭Gatica

I can't quite say what makes a great or bad DJ, but you know when you're in the company of a bad one. Naff songs and comments between songs, yikes...
    I think a good DJ would probably read the floor to keep it full, do requests that are not out of place and would keep the party going.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

Gatica wrote: »
    I can't quite say what makes a great or bad DJ, but you know when you're in the company of a bad one. Naff songs and comments between songs, yikes...
    I think a good DJ would probably read the floor to keep it full, do requests that are not out of place and would keep the party going.

Agreed. Recently married myself and we had a fantastic band and DJ - floor was full the whole night. I've been to weddings with many more guests where the floor was empty at times. There's a big difference between a good band/DJ and a crap one. The good ones earn their pay

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Gatica wrote: »
    I can't quite say what makes a great or bad DJ, but you know when you're in the company of a bad one. Naff songs and comments between songs, yikes... I think a good DJ would probably read the floor to keep it full, do requests that are not out of place and would keep the party going.

indeed, imo (music aside) a good dj knows when to speak, a poor one doesn't know when to stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Shyboy

Agreed. Recently married myself and we had a fantastic band and DJ - floor was full the whole night. I've been to weddings with many more guests where the floor was empty at times. There's a big difference between a good band/DJ and a crap one. The good ones earn their pay

I have to say that it is not always the Band/DJ's fault if the dancefloor is not full all of the time. I have seen the best of wedding bands have nights where they struggle to keep the crowd on the floor, no matter what they play...usually because the crowd are next door in the bar...:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭turbot

lms84 wrote: »
    GOOD NEWS!
    I have found a DJ willing to travel up from Galway to play for only €350.
    He has been recommended to me by a well known radio DJ in that area so I am happy to have him.
    I checked him out and he has a good reputation and a full set of equipment. It could not have worked out better.
    I'd like to say an open thanks to everyone who has helped here especially Darragh O Dea.

Now all I need to do is find out if I can get my €100 deposit back from my previous DJ.
    I did not receive and official receipt from him.
    I sent a letter stating 'Please find enclosed - my deposit', which he photocopied and sent back to me.
    Don't know where this leaves me as there is no real proof that I sent it as I don't have his signature.

Whenever you cancel on a service provider, there is an opportunity cost for them. Even if his prices are high and above the market average, it's your fault if you didn't do research before hand. It's his right to price his services however high he likes, and your duty to decide if you can afford it BEFORE you make the agreement. Keep in mind that leaving a deposit is not paying for an OPTION TO HIRE. It's markedly different - and now you want your deposit back???

There is a weird kind of derision in this forum regarding prices too - because - if you hired a FAMOUS DJ (like FatBoySlim) and he charged €50k for the night - it would be easier to see that there is something weird about you jumping on here and proclaiming "Great News" when you found someone else for a few hundred euros.

Advertisement