Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meath GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Lemlin wrote: »
    Yep it was because both yourselves and Dublin beat Cavan in 2008.

In 2007, Meath beat Roscommon in the Division 2 final in Breffni. Meath had beaten Cavan in the semi and Roscommon beat Cavan.
    That was the year that, going into the last game of the league, Wexford had to beat us by 9 points or more or we would make the semi finals. They beat us by 8 points. Quite a surreal end to a game. The supporters of a team just slaughtered cheering like mad while the other supporters crestfallen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,550 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Pay at the gte by the sounds of it. Will the game sell out on the day or do you think TG4 will keep some of the crowd away? I'd imagine they won't count U16's going in so they will get up to 7000 paying customers.

Ticket prices here http://www.leinstergaa.ie/news/sunday-26th-january-200pm-st-conleth%E2%80%99s-park-newbridge.5569.html

Could take in up to 50,000 euro. What happens this money? Surely it doesn't all go to the players fund?

As far as I know it does.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭klairondavis

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    Pay at the gte by the sounds of it. Will the game sell out on the day or do you think TG4 will keep some of the crowd away? I'd imagine they won't count U16's going in so they will get up to 7000 paying customers.

The capacity of Newbridge has been increased since last year's league. It will comfortably accomodate the crowd for Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭rpurfield

its gonna be a good test on sunday,id imagine kildare will put a strong enough team out, nice run into the league campaign

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

any chance they'll actually announce the starting XV before the game?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭snowgal

think they said it would be announced tomorrow eve?

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Hibbeler

Seeing that the game on Sunday is on tv, does anyone know where I might be able to find a stream that can be watched from the UK? Or else do tg4 steam their games worldwide?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dixiefly

Team announced with several changes including Paddy O'Rourke replaced by Conor McHugh and Shane O'Rourke, Cillian O'Sullivan and Graham Reilly rested.

This is exactly what I was saying, O'Byrne Cup even the final against Kildare is not a priority. The big game is next week versus Galway and the focus seems to be on that game and rightly so.

http://hoganstand.com/Meath/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=208137

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭PaddyCar

can you post the team please? cant access hoganstand

• Advertisement

Conor McHugh; Donal Keogan, Michael Burke, Caolan Young; Davy Dalton, Eoghan Harrington, Paddy Gilsenan; Conor Gillespie (capt), Andrew Tormey; Padraig McKeever, Dalton McDonagh, David Larkin; Eamonn Wallace, Stephen Bray, Michael Newman. Subs: Patrick O'Rourke, Shane O'Rourke, Damien Carroll, Graham Reilly, David Bray, Cillian O'Sullivan, Donal Lenihan, Conor Sheridan, Bryan McMahon.

Have to agreed with Dixie. As much as I'd like to beat Kildare in any circumstance 2 points against Galway is more important.
    The FF line still though is quite strong and could see that being the front 3 in June unless D Bray makes some strides.
    Hope Wallace also doesn't have any recurring problems.
    I believe K Reilly will also be back in time for Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dixiefly

iDave wrote: »
    Conor McHugh; Donal Keogan, Michael Burke, Caolan Young; Davy Dalton, Eoghan Harrington, Paddy Gilsenan; Conor Gillespie (capt), Andrew Tormey; Padraig McKeever, Dalton McDonagh, David Larkin; Eamonn Wallace, Stephen Bray, Michael Newman. Subs: Patrick O'Rourke, Shane O'Rourke, Damien Carroll, Graham Reilly, David Bray, Cillian O'Sullivan, Donal Lenihan, Conor Sheridan, Bryan McMahon.

Thanks iDave.
    I was able to read the team but unable to copy so that was why I didn't post the team.

Town End Terrace closed in Newbridge on Sunday

Meath supporters should arrive early and get themselves the covered seats in the stand!

0.08 0.05 win over Westmeath in Hasting Cup semi

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭royaler83

Wasn't at the game. From what i saw on tv, Keogan, bray and wallace were probably our best players. Keogan had his hands full but looked top drawer once again.

Mcdonagh, dalton and gilsnean were very light looking, hard to see them competing at this level the way the game has gone.

Similar problem from previous years, struggling to get ball out of defence (kildare could come out at will).

Tis only january though :cool:

Tis only January is correct but don't like losing to the flour bags.
    Our problem seems to be going missing for periods in games. Happened again in the 3rd quarter. Possession given away cheaply and scores dry up.
    Got into good positions for goals about 3/4 times. Just needed to score one and would of been a different game.
    All about Galway in a week now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭mattser

Always dangerous to give an opinion from the armchair, but I also thought our lads smaller and weaker than Kildare. Miserable day for football.

Anyway, the real test begins next week. Good luck to Mick & the lads this year.

Poor enough display but on another day, at least one of those goal chances would have gone in and it would have been different. Basic short passing seemed to let us down at times with simple handpasses going astray. Not really bothered about the result and glad that if there were any players getting ahead of themselves, they will have been brought back down to Earth now. Hopefully Gillespie's injury isn't serious and Kevin Reilly will be at full back against Galway. With Menton and Harnan both hopefully back in the fray, our defence will be more solid than it was today.

I'm more confused than ever about the black card after today though. Newman was clean through on goal and the Kildare midfielder cleans him out of it, making no attempt to win the ball yet gets a yellow card. I thought this was the definition of a black card offence.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

mattser wrote: »
    Always dangerous to give an opinion from the armchair, but I also thought our lads smaller and weaker than Kildare. Miserable day for football.

Anyway, the real test begins next week. Good luck to Mick & the lads this year.
    Every team looks small next to Kildare. They've been in the gym for the last 6 years sure. I'd rather have better footballers than bodybuilders any day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,205 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Felexicon wrote: »
    Every team looks small next to Kildare. They've been in the gym for the last 6 years sure. I'd rather have better footballers than bodybuilders any day.

I would say 3 of the kildare lads were stacked size wise all other players very average frames.

Hard luck today lads btw i thought it was a very meh game though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Poor enough display but on another day, at least one of those goal chances would have gone in and it would have been different. Basic short passing seemed to let us down at times with simple handpasses going astray. Not really bothered about the result and glad that if there were any players getting ahead of themselves, they will have been brought back down to Earth now. Hopefully Gillespie's injury isn't serious and Kevin Reilly will be at full back against Galway. With Menton and Harnan both hopefully back in the fray, our defence will be more solid than it was today.

I'm more confused than ever about the black card after today though. Newman was clean through on goal and the Kildare midfielder cleans him out of it, making no attempt to win the ball yet gets a yellow card. I thought this was the definition of a black card offence.

This is the actual definition of a black card offence:
    (1) ‘to deliberately pull down an opponent’
    (2) ‘to deliberately trip an opponent’
    (3) ‘to deliberately body collide with an opponent after he has played the ball away’
    (4) ‘to threaten or use abusive language or gestures to an opponent’
    (5) ‘to remonstrate in an aggressive manner with a match official’

keane2097 wrote: »
    This is the actual definition of a black card offence:
    What I meant was the foul seemed to be a textbook black card offence. The Kildare midfielder tripped/pulled down Newman, making no attempt to get the ball yet somehow only got a yellow.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

What I meant was the foul seemed to be a textbook black card offence. The Kildare midfielder tripped/pulled down Newman, making no attempt to get the ball yet somehow only got a yellow.

If it's the incident I'm thinking of it didn't look to me like either a trip or a pull down, rather it was just a crap normal tackle.

For it to be a trip he has to have his legs deliberately chopped from under him, and a pull down is along the lines of Cavanagh on McManus - in this instance neither of the two Kildare players who went in on Newman dragged him down.

You can still be booked for a bad tackle under the new rules, the black card is very specific. Making no attempt to play the ball isn't relevant to whether it's a black card or not.

keane2097 wrote: »
    If it's the incident I'm thinking of it didn't look to me like either a trip or a pull down, rather it was just a crap normal tackle.

For it to be a trip he has to have his legs deliberately chopped from under him, and a pull down is along the lines of Cavanagh on McManus - in this instance neither of the two Kildare players who went in on Newman dragged him down.

You can still be booked for a bad tackle under the new rules, the black card is very specific. Making no attempt to play the ball isn't relevant to whether it's a black card or not.
    Was at the game so haven't seen it on TV. But if that's the case then that's a pretty massive loophole in the black card rule to me. It was 100% a cynical tackle and the fact that it didn't warrant a black card will have players realising that if they make a woeful tackle from the side (or from the front if it's the keeper) when a player is clean through on goal (even a rugby type tackle), they can get away with only a yellow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭klairondavis

If it's Gary White's tackle in the second half you're talking about, I thought at the time it was a stone wall black card as did most of the other Kildare supporters around me.

Lads if you put Kevin Reilly, SOR, Biggy, Gillespie, POR, Mickey Burke and Menton up against Kildare's 7 most physical players I'd say we would come out the stronger. Yes they had a bigger team out but we started with a few lads that will be nowhere near our championship team and prob won't play too many league games either.

Galway will be a different story and hopefully we get a win which we need. Role on Sunday.

Just a heads up, if you buy your tickets for Sunday on tickets.ie or in any SuperValu or Centra, you'll only have to pay €10. Pay on the day, and it's €15. You'll also beat the queues.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Hibbeler

Any ideas of the team Micko might pick for the Galway match? Will Meath continue to experiment like the O'byrne cup or will we see a team more closely resembling a championship team come Sunday?

What would be your expectations for this league campaign? Do we think promotion is possible or is staying in Div 2 the aim? Certainly I will hope for a better start than for the last campaign!

• Advertisement

Hibbeler wrote: »
    Any ideas of the team Micko might pick for the Galway match? Will Meath continue to experiment like the O'byrne cup or will we see a team more closely resembling a championship team come Sunday?

What would be your expectations for this league campaign? Do we think promotion is possible or is staying in Div 2 the aim? Certainly I will hope for a better start than for the last campaign!

I think it's possible but we need to beat Galway especially considering they have a lot of players out. They will be much stronger come the last few games and could take a lot of points off other teams for us. So in short beat Galway and we have a chance but can't see it happening if we lose.

I'd love a good league campaign. Can't beat the league when we're going well. Travelling to away games with hundreds of fans and a great atmosphere in navan too. Nothing worse though when the league goes badly.

Advertisement