Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meath GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

I'm a little confused. According to the programme, he didn't. But he's down in the Hogan Stand report in the place on Niall Kane.
    From looking at his picture, it looks like it was actually Hurley that played in the 18 jersey. Played very well and got 5 points. Mickey Burke did very wel
    l on him in the second half.
    Thanks Hammer much appreciated congrats the win

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭anbodhran

I see Andy McEntee is taking over at Ballyboden St Endas. What's his reputation like up in Meath? Is he a future candidate for the county senior role?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Anyone in Baltinglass today? Sounded comfortable. DCU next week

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Very comfortable in atrocious conditions. We were 2-3 to no score up after 10 minutes and after that it was just a matter of how much we'd win by.

Forwards were very impressive in creating chances. The Brays and Graham Reilly were best. The half back line were quite good. Slight worry was that midfield was cleaned out for most of the game. Every time a ball was broken down, there seemed to be 2 or 3 free Wicklow men to pick it up. Also, for the last 10 or 15 minutes of the first half and first 5 of the second, we failed to score. Worrying that this is the third game we've taken the foot off the pedal, though there was no real chance of Wicklow coming back into this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭paul71

The Brays and Graham Reilly were best.

It is really great to have David back, other then 1 league campaign about 3 years ago he has never got the chance to get a proper run of intercounty games under his belt. I honestly think he has it in him to be every bit as good as his brother.

With him and Shane back from injury I think we can do some damage in Division 2 this year.

• Advertisement

6 Meath lads on the UCD team that topped their group and will play Kildare in semi.
    Oran Fitzpatrick, Ciaran Lenihan, Padraic Harnan, Conor Downey, Shane McEntee and James Toher.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Brian Menton looked decent against Carlow IT yesterday in St Margarets

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Many of you going to either semi final this sunday? Meath v DCU Navan at 2pm and the UCD game is in newbridge. 6 meath lads on the ucd team i hear and 1 on the dcu one.

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    Many of you going to either semi final this sunday? Meath v DCU Navan at 2pm and the UCD game is in newbridge. 6 meath lads on the ucd team i hear and 1 on the dcu one.

I'll be in Navan anyway. This is will be far and away our biggest challenge yet.
    A Meath/UCD final would be great, a chance for MOD to assess a full panel plus an extra 6 on the same field. (Not sure how interested he is in Lenehan if he's already dropped). Mostly likely Kildare will be in the final though, they're going hell for leather in this comp. Cant blame the flour bags though, wont win anything else :D

iDave wrote: »
    I'll be in Navan anyway. This is will be far and away our biggest challenge yet.
    A Meath/UCD final would be great, a chance for MOD to assess a full panel plus an extra 6 on the same field. (Not sure how interested he is in Lenehan if he's already dropped). Mostly likely Kildare will be in the final though, they're going hell for leather in this comp. Cant blame the flour bags though, wont win anything else :D

Well said but if we lose to DCU I hope it's a DCU v UCD final. The two of them hate it each other! But yeah a Meath v Kildare match or even UCD would be the perfect preparation for the league. I really hope we can get over DCU as we've lost to them the last 2 times we've played!

• Advertisement

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    Well said but if we lose to DCU I hope it's a DCU v UCD final. The two of them hate it each other! But yeah a Meath v Kildare match or even UCD would be the perfect preparation for the league. I really hope we can get over DCU as we've lost to them the last 2 times we've played!

Also lost to UCD the last time we played, last minute goal in Bantys (shudder) first match.

Also lost to UCD the last time we played, last minute goal in Bantys (shudder) first match.

We actually beat them with a late goal in last years O'Byrne cup! We're unbeaten in 6/6 O'Byrne cup matches under mod although one of them was a draw against Louth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dixiefly

In my opinion, after often watching the huffing and puffing of the O'Byrne Cup only to spectacularly fail in the League, the O'Byrne Cup means nothing. Games in which the Dubs put out a second string and also against college teams at different stages of training and made up with a variety of players than can change in standard quite a bit from year to year.

I will go along next Sunday but would hope that the team is set up to learn more about the players, formation, tactics etc than arrest some perceived set of defeats to DCU or that we might "owe them one". These games should be treated as a very good workout for the players.

Our focus must be on the very important 1st game of the league at home against Galway. Win that one and it sets us up nicely to have a right go at promotion. Lose it and the prospects of promotion immediately wane with any positives gained in the O'Byrne Cup immediately lost.

Meath have had really poor League performances in recent years with many end of league games meaningless. It would be super to be at least in there with a chance on the day of the last rounds and thus give the players some quite competitive games in advance of the championship.

Big win for Meath today so at last we will get our big test before the league against Kildare. Match is on in Newbridge next Sunday.

Great warm up for the league and the opening must win match against Galway.

Expected more from DCU given the group they came from. Nonetheless we did what we needed to do. Good start to the year although we've had no real test leading to the final.
    Either way looking forward to Newbridge next week.
    Also some shambles only having one gate open.

2-2 from O'Sullivan too. Well done to him

Good win but DCU were very poor.

How did they beat the Dubs, no matter how few regulars that the Dubs had?

Some very positives from a Meath pov. O Sullivan very lively and took his scores well. Backs closed down well and some nice moves. Carroll gave a great ball in for David Bray's goal. Shane O'Rourke did well at midfield and it is nice to also have Tormey as an option in midfield in addition to Gillespie. Donnacha Tobin also back, Gilsenan lively and we are shaping up to have a decent panel for the league.

As I said earlier lets not get carried away with O'Byrne cup wins. The so called challenge from DCU never materialised. Kildare doesnt concern me. Our priority remains Galway in the first league game.

Expected more from DCU given the group they came from. Nonetheless we did what we needed to do. Good start to the year although we've had no real test leading to the final.
    Either way looking forward to Newbridge next week.
    Also some shambles only having one gate open.

Whoever decided to keep one gate open deserves a kick up the a$$.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

How is the panel looking now lads? I thought ye lacked strength in depth last year. I'll probably be at a couple of your league games in Navan this year, what would ye expect to be the starting 15 vs Galway in the first league match?

Panel looking very good when you consider some top lads still to return from colleges. Wouldn't know where to begin with a team for the league. I'm not too sure MOD does either. It's a great problem to have. We really needed someone like him to take over from boylan.

• Advertisement

Is Kevin Reilly injured?

dixiefly wrote: »
    Is Kevin Reilly injured?

Think he'll be back for the Kildare match but they might not play him. He should be 100% fit for the Galway match.

It's looking promising for the league. The forwards seem to be scoring well with Wallace still to return. In the defence, Keoghan's only just back with the likes of Menton and Harnan away with their college's and Reilly to return from injury.

But, I'm trying not to get my hopes up. I remember in 2006 when we played great football in the O'Byrne Cup, beating Dublin and then Westmeath in the final, only to go on and get relegated in the league (albeit unluckily so) and have a disastrous championship. No matter how well we're playing, it's only January. The players will certainly have to up it a few gears come Sunday week against Galway.

I know I can probably google it but does anyone know offhand how long it is since we were in Div 1 in the league? Seems like quite a while, too long for a county with the aspirations that we have.

To the best of my recollection and I am open to correction it was 2008. The year we had the big dust up in Parnell Park

Thanks iDave, its too long anyway.

Nice bustup that day.

dixiefly wrote: »
    Thanks iDave, its too long anyway.

Nice bustup that day.

Coffee was rotten, had to throw it away :p

Think that Dublin game in 08 was actually Division 2. I think 2008 was the first year of Divisions 1,2,3 and 4. Since then we've been in Division 2 apart from last year. We were in Division 1B back in 2006 I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Think that Dublin game in 08 was actually Division 2. I think 2008 was the first year of Divisions 1,2,3 and 4. Since then we've been in Division 2 apart from last year. We were in Division 1B back in 2006 I think.

Yep it was because both yourselves and Dublin beat Cavan in 2008.

In 2007, Meath beat Roscommon in the Division 2 final in Breffni. Meath had beaten Cavan in the semi and Roscommon beat Cavan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭royaler83

Sundays game is live on tg4

Advertisement