Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meath GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭poppers

paul71 wrote: »
    I knew about it but did not mention it when someone asked here a few weeks ago why he was not playing for Clan na Gael in the final as it did not seem to be common knowledge and did not wish to discuss a players health.

Best of luck Shane and thanks for the years you gave to Meath Football.

Anybody know who Summerhill have to play in next round of Leinster Championship?

think its Vincents

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭mattser

poppers wrote: »
    think its Vincents

St. Vincents

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭rpurfield

iDave wrote: »

Weve the indo free in work and i seen the article mentioned on the front but never picked it up to read so i didnt know until just now. puts it all in perspective and kudos to the gpa for doing the screenings and looking after shane too

rpurfield wrote: »
    forgot to ask earlier is the fitzsimons cup on this winter??

Gaeil Colmcille ‏@GaeilColmcille 16m
    Fitzsimons Intercounty Cup teams confirmed for Grangegodden on Sun 8th & 15th Dec. Cavan, Westmeath, Offaly & of course Meath

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Hopefully Meath v DIT O'Byrne Cup 58th Jan 2014 is played in Ashbourne. Would be packed f it was and the small crowd would be lost in navan.

Final match away to Wicklow will surely decide it but hopefully we come through to a semi v the dubs on the 19th! need a big match befoe the league :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭rpurfield

Gaeil Colmcille ‏@GaeilColmcille 16m
    Fitzsimons Intercounty Cup teams confirmed for Grangegodden on Sun 8th & 15th Dec. Cavan, Westmeath, Offaly & of course Meath

cool defo gonna try getting to that one of the weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭paulski999

Just for info, re. Fitzsimons Cup, Cavan have pulled out this week, due to player availability. So Meath v Westmeath on Sun 8th Dec at 2pm in Grangegodden, Kells. Location -> Grangegodden Location via Google Maps

Winners play Offaly the following Sun (15th Dec) at 2pm, with the losers of Meath v Westmeath playing Cavan prior to Final again on the 15th Dec.

Details on Club Facebook Fan Page -> https://www.facebook.com/gaeilcolmcille.gaa

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭paulski999

paul71 wrote: »
    I knew about it but did not mention it when someone asked here a few weeks ago why he was not playing for Clan na Gael in the final as it did not seem to be common knowledge and did not wish to discuss a players health.

Best of luck Shane and thanks for the years you gave to Meath Football.

Anybody know who Summerhill have to play in next round of Leinster Championship?

Shane is taking over from Jody Devine as manager of Gaeil Colmcille, Kells. Should be a good appointment, Shane is a gent and a leader on the pitch, so hopefully this transfers to his new role...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

paulski999 wrote: »
    Shane is taking over from Jody Devine as manager of Gaeil Colmcille, Kells. Should be a good appointment, Shane is a gent and a leader on the pitch, so hopefully this transfers to his new role...

It's surprising that Jody has left Kells after leading them to the intermediate. Any reason given for him leaving?

Lemlin wrote: »
    It's surprising that Jody has left Kells after leading them to the intermediate. Any reason given for him leaving?

work commitments meant he couldn't give it the time required.

• Advertisement

work commitments meant he couldn't give it the time required.

What does he work at? He's been managing years and work hasn't been a problem before.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

What does he work at? He's been managing years and work hasn't been a problem before.

Maybe it's a problem now, or it's private, or he feels he's given as much as he can, either way it's his business not ours IMHO.

Stoner wrote: »
    Maybe it's a problem now, or it's private, or he feels he's given as much as he can, either way it's his business not ours IMHO.

I agree totally but no harm in asking the question or raising the point. I've heard a number of different reasons myself for him pulling out of Kells and I was wondering what others on here had heard.

To be honest, I don't particularly rate him as a manager. That Gael Colmcille team were far better than anything at intermediate level this year.

I saw him previously managing Drumbaragh and he was very slow at making changes on the line. For example, against Longwood one year, the entire Drumbaragh crowd knew their midfielder was going to tire in the second half and that he should be moved out of midfield for it. Jody didn't make the move and Drumbaragh were slaughtered at midfield and in the game second half.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭OiOshawott

Wonder if Shane O'Rourke will get much game time in the league and championship next year

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

OiOshawott wrote: »
    Wonder if Shane O'Rourke will get much game time in the league and championship next year
    Jesus I hope he does. He really is a class player when he gets a good run of games. I'd hate to think his career is over at inter county level

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Ah that's a bit precious to be fair. We're on a discussion forum after all.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Felexicon wrote: »
    Ah that's a bit precious to be fair. We're on a discussion forum after all.

I don't know, why ask why he gave it up, get an answer and then probe further. Work commitments should be enough for why someone stopped volunteering their time, maybe it's health, personal, struggling in work or just had enough.

Discussion is fine I also only offered an opinion, but these guys aren't paid, I don't think we need to know what's going on in his life.When does it stop being a discussion and turn into being nosey? He now has a nice negative opinion of his ability as a manager in print here too.

Anyway that's my opinion on it. I won't stress it further.

I don't know, why ask why he gave it up, get an answer and then probe further. Work commitments should be enough for why someone stopped volunteering their time, maybe it's health, personal, struggling in work or just had enough.

Discussion is fine I also only offered an opinion, but these guys aren't paid, I don't think we need to know what's going on in his life.When does it stop being a discussion and turn into being nosey? He now has a nice negative opinion of his ability as a manager in print here too.

I probed further because the answer was poor. "Work commitments" is media crap thrown out. As I said, I remember Jody managing Drumbaragh years ago so it's strange that after years of management work is a problem.

You're taking this all a bit far and a bit too personal tbh. If we couldn't give opinions on GAA managers and players here, why is there a GAA forum?

Every match post is full of opinions on tactics, players, managers etc. I'm only putting in print what plenty of people have said and what I'm sure Jody was told by someone himself after that game because the entire Drumbaragh crowd were saying it post game.

Like it or lump it, they are doing a job which puts them in the public forum. There are negatives to that but there are also plenty of positives for them. Plenty of GAA managers and players regularly use that public exposure to their advantage.

You're taking this all a bit far and a bit too personal tbh.
    You're the one asking the personal questions.

But I agree that managers do have to put up with an element of this as it comes with the "job"

You're the one asking the personal questions.

But I agree that managers do have to put up with an element of this as it comes with the "job"

Hardly personal. I asked why he left the role and said I wouldn't see "work commitments" as an adequate excuse.

So you are complaining yet you agree this comes with the job? I don't get your point then tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

What a legend

http://hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=206269

May he live forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭mattser

I agree 100%.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Hibbeler

iDave wrote: »
    What a legend

http://hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=206269

May he live forever.

I reckon he'd still be well able to show them college footballers a thing or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭cat in the sack

Offaly 4-12 Meath 2-12 fitzimons cup result offaly retain the cup after there
    win today for the second year in a row over meath, great scoring for this time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Mauser 308

Offaly 4-12 Meath 2-12 fitzimons cup result offaly retain the cup after there
    win today for the second year in a row over meath, great scoring for this time of year.
    Any idea of the Meath line up?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Very frank interview with Darren Fay

http://thescore.thejournal.ie/meath-darren-fay-four-kings-1176933-Dec2013/

Great insight into the players perspective of the 01 win over Kerry and then AI final loss to Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Obrieski

Anyone at the game or hear any reports? Who stood out? How did O'Rourke do, although paper today said he only played a half as he was struggling with flu

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭cat in the sack

only for Reilly coming on at half time they would have got a lesson
    both teams missing a lot of players, but what i here offaly were far way ahead of them but its only dec.............

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,810 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Even as a die hard meath fan I probably had more interest in the premier league matches sunday than in this match. Offaly beat us this time last year too, their championship then consisted of being disposed of by Kildare and then getting battered into oblivion by Tyrone in Tullamore.

Early days, bad conditions, players unaccustomed to each other and other factors mean that you cant really take anything out of these matches.

Add to that the fact that most of the new faces on the team will be mostly out to play for themselves, to stand out and try prove themselves to the manager. They might play differently or make fewer mistakes if they were part of a system and gelled with the team.

Advertisement