Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A boat full of carbs

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

The diffetence between irish and Mediterranean genes!
    Was out for 7hrs and 185km and thought it was lovely.
    Went without any food on bike and felt fine.

Once temperature is north of 25 I'm bollixed though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

7hrs!! Fair play to you, haven't done that since the Evil200. Most of the times I am not cold, but today the combination of almost 0C and the rain killed me.

AstraMonti wrote: »
    7hrs!! Fair play to you, haven't done that since the Evil200. Most of the times I am not cold, but today the combination of almost 0C and the rain killed me.

Cork area not as cold today, and dry all day.

Cold between 7&9 but lovely after that.

Had 4 bowls of homemade chestnut soup with about 250mls of cream.

Going to tackle a 3 egg omelette now with usual drowning in olive oil.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭duffyshuffle

We are not far away on the results, and if you didn't have the junk over christmas you might have been "better". Only time will tell!

Yesterday was in the gym again, but I wasn't feeling great. Probably because I had a bag of crisps before .. (I know I know.. I didn't even like eating them!). It was tough anyway. The worst part was the band pull. We wore an elastic band and the trainer was holding against it while we were trying to run across the room. Was gasping for air by the end of it, had to sit down for few mins to clear my head.

Cheers, what ratios do you look for from the test? HDL/Cholesterol ratio and Triglyceride/HDL ratio seem to be the important ones? Or just lower the triglycerides and higher the HDLs? Will be getting a list of all the results of everything this week, any good links for interpreting bloods? Thanks

I am not sure anyone can tell you without getting into the medical advice malarkey and because I would like to keep this thread open let's stay away from it :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,037 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Thanks for the link.

Apparently "Vanilla ice cream [in the US] is made from the anal glands of a beaver". Who knew?

I now feel vindicated in owning an ice cream machine. And not living in the US.

I spent some time googling about it some more, apparently it's a "big" issue.
    Here are two sites with many references http://www.notmilk.com/ http://www.nomilk.com/

I could get around the same results though for a search on "aliens visiting earth" so..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

Horizon next Wednesday should also be interesting.

Yesterday and today's breakfast was the same, 3 eggs with bacon. Lunch yesterday was chicken, rocket salad and olives and dinner was some salami and cheese followed by protein and milk after the gym. Todays lunch at work was some spinach and a kind of fish that tasted like feet. I had an apple before the gym and after I had a burger with bacon and cheese that I was craving all day.

Gym yesterday, clean jerks with full extended arm and burpies for a whole hour, started with 10 kilos and ended with 50. Tough stuff.
    Gym today, 2x300, 25 pullups, 50 40kg squats, 50 kb swings 16kg, 50 squat jumps, 50 press ups, 50 wipers with 40kg bar and 25 pullups to finish it off. Hard is one word to describe it.

My weight is more or less the same, I am still around 78kg, somedays above, somedays below. The fat percentage is much lower and my body is continuing to improving and becoming leaner.

• Advertisement

Nothing much for an update.. but I really can't handle alcohol any more. Last sunday we had some friends over and we drunk quite a bit over dinner .. I was dead and asleep at 8. Yesterday again had 3 glasses of red wine over dinner.. slept at 8.30, woke up at 7:30 like a new man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

I have come to te conclusion that alcohol is something that you train for.

I rarely drink any longer - occasionally have a nice beer, a g&t or a glass of wine or two. If I have any more the result is as you describe - an immediate need to sleep.

Up to a few years ago (pre kids) I would have been a heavy drinker - four maybe five nights a week and absolutely no bother other than hangovers.

The folks that I know that can keep drinking are regular drinkers.
    Strange thing is that I have found it so so difficult to give up confectionery but it was easy to give up drink. I could go for months on end without every even tbh king about a drink. Then I may have one.
    I can't go for minutes without tbh king about confectionery.
    I wonder which is more addictive in either the physical or psychological state - or is it different for different people?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

I can't drink for **** when I am exercising alot and watching the calories, went out to a work doo on Fri night and had a couple of beers, a few glasses of wine with dinner and had to exit stage left and get a taxi home at 9pm!

For the fans of beta alanine:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/24457999/?i=2&from=exercise%2C+performance
    In conclusion, chronic beta-alanine supplementation in well-trained cyclists had a very pronounced effect on muscle carnosine concentration and a moderate attenuating effect on the acidosis associated with lactate accumulation, yet without affecting 1-h time-trial performance under laboratory conditions.

I watched cerealklliersmovie last night.

It's a low budget movie by Donal O'Neill, co founder of the GPA(GAA players union) but more importantly a son to a man with heart disease and nephew of a man who suffered diabetes despite being lean elite athelets who never gained weight and had "healthy" diets. O'Neill embarks on a high fat diet over 28 days.

Tim Noakes features in movie.

Interesting his total cholesterol and LDL went up on diet, but on a further test (presumably Apo B but not stated) his LDL particle size was large and Noakes thought he had the perfect blood profile.

Interestingly for OP and others he only did 8 mins of extreme training, no slow endurance training. Sprints, chin ups and heavy lifts etc.

He got stronger and set pb's at 41.

He started lean 13% or so, but this went down .7% and his waist etc reduced.

I was trying to put a plan for my training on the bike, but I have not decided yet what I want (=what I ll have time to do). I will only have spare time to do stuff until the end of May, so taking racing seriously is not going to be part of the deal. I can't train for long stuff either as I won't have the luxury of time, altough I do want to take part in a couple of 200s. I think I ll just ride for the fun of it without overcomplicating things, and I might join a couple of sportives.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Tec Diver

ford2600 wrote: »

It's a low budget movie by Donal O'Neill, co founder of the GPA(GAA players union) but more importantly a son to a man with heart disease and nephew of a man who suffered diabetes despite being lean elite athelets who never gained weight and had "healthy" diets. O'Neill embarks on a high fat diet over 28 days.

Interesting his total cholesterol and LDL went up on diet, but on a further test (presumably Apo B but not stated) his LDL particle size was large and Noakes thought he had the perfect blood profile.

Interestingly for OP and others he only did 8 mins of extreme training, no slow endurance training. Sprints, chin ups and heavy lifts etc.

Great movie, I helped get it started on Kickstarter. Its going down really well so far!

Tec Diver wrote: »
    Great movie, I helped get it started on Kickstarter. Its going down really well so far!

I enjoyed it. Well done on your involvment

Just an observation I thought he should have included more data on before and after, in terms of diet, bloods exercise etc. Maybe a bit of info on Apo B test maybe.

That market looked great!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

ford2600 wrote: »

Cereal Killers is an awesome film! Well worth the fiver to download.

If anyone is thinking of going on an LCHF diet they should definitely watch it
    - the trailer is here http://www.cerealkillersmovie.com/

• Advertisement

Hanen't watched it yet, no spoilers :P

Monday went to the gym for another hard session. We did a lot, and I mean a lot of triceps pushups, wide arm pullups and ended with 15mins of non stop 80kg deadlifts and box squatjumps. Two days later my lower back is still sore.

Yesterday I did an hour on the bike, with 1-3mins intervals in climbing.

As for food, I had chicken in a coconut milk sauce with vegs and a fry after the gym, i know, weird combination lol. Unfortunately I 've been a bit naughty with nutella again...

Seem to be adapting well to diet. Have restricted fruit very much. Only two pieces in morning now.

After a high fat meal before 12 noon I went 7hrs without food before 45km spin.

No hunger before spin or on bike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭i_surge

Thoughts about the no sugar v no fat study mentioned on sticky bottle? Maybe not enough for adaptation to the diet?

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Fathead

Tonight on BBC2 a program you gentleman may be interested in.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03t8r4h

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Will be curious to see how the whole thing is spun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭colm_gti

I know they only done the diet switch for a month and could never have adapted properly, but some interesting findings nonetheless.

Interesting about the muscle loss, certainly noticed that myself. Been a bit lax about my diet of late and am left a bit unsure after this.

I know I certainly FEEL better day-to-day on lchf, but I'm unsure whether its sustainable long term after that. Raised blood sugar and glucose intolerance on lchf is pretty interesting!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

colm_gti wrote: »
    I know they only done the diet switch for a month and could never have adapted properly, but some interesting findings nonetheless.

Interesting about the muscle loss, certainly noticed that myself. Been a bit lax about my diet of late and am left a bit unsure after this.

I know I certainly FEEL better day-to-day on lchf, but I'm unsure whether its sustainable long term after that. Raised blood sugar and glucose intolerance on lchf is pretty interesting!

The fact that he was nearly pre-diabetic was very worrying!!!

I don't want to get diabetes!

colm_gti wrote: »
    Raised blood sugar and glucose intolerance on lchf is pretty interesting!

But was he LCHF? I think he was closer to No Carb and maybe that is the issue. All the LCHF research indicates the opposite usually occurs.

Nonetheless I found the whole thing an absolute ballscrushing hammerblow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

A LCHF diet will usually include lots of vegetables so its not really the same thing as the program. Funnily enough, he finishes with dismissing fad diets while thats exactly what he embarked on himself.

Still, its a thumbs up for a balanced diet. TBH eating is one of the pleasures of cycling and I'd hate to restrict that unnecessarily.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Agreed with some bits. Disagreed with other bits. And like the others explained they were testing two extremes that noone could actually follow for very long. And my biases are based on my own experiences (obviously).

I was surprised by the cognitive test. I predicted high fat would do better but then it wasn't a very controlled test. My concentration levels are like never before (sample of 1). I think the Swedish memory champion is LCHF (sample of 1).

Not surprised by the hill climb. I think glucose is necessary during shorter duration exercise. How much of that is for the muscles and how much is for the brain I think needs to be teased out. I'd also be curious about the effect of training low carb but racing high carb, it's the approach I am adopting. Even Peter Attia (who is in almost constant ketosis) experiments with sugar during endurance events.

Not surprised by the fasting glucose tolerance test. It's common knowledge that it happens with LCHF. Some would argue it's better to take more readings at hour intervals or do the Ha1c test for a long range blood sugar estimate. To cheat that particular glucose test people just increase their carb intake in the week leading up to it. I do notice a bigger hit from sweet foods, to the point where regular chocolate is almost unpleasantly sweet now. But I don't crave sugar like before and almost never need a pick me up during the day. So am I better or worse of with higher but way fewer blood sugar spikes?

I'd agree with the processed food part. I eat almost none now, though I didn't eat much before. I did eat a lot of brown bread, which I would now consider a processed food. Maybe that should have been obvious. Most of the food we buy should probably only have 1 ingredient. If you only bought solely from the fruit & veg, fish & meat sections of the supermarket, you'd probably never need to ever consider your diet.

I liked the point about it being hard to eat plain sugar. As I've said before on here, from a health point of view you'd probably be better just spooning plain old siucra sugar into your gob than taking gels and sports drinks. They are formulated to make you want to drink more and backed up by dubious "sciency" advertising, worrying you that death is imminent after a yellowy p!ss.

As for the 50:50 sugar/fat hypothesis. I remember Lustig saying something in one of his early presentations about the Fat and Sugar combination. In a later presentations he says it's only sugar. And the twins missed a few examples of highly addictive low fat sugary foods. Soft drinks and fruit juices for instance. Most overweight kids crave these. When McDonald's super-sized, they super sized the high GI carbohydrate portion of the meal because they knew ultimately the customer would be back for more. Same with the free soda refills they do over there. I suppose you could argue that the french fries are an example of the lethal fat and carb combination. Though they're not at the 50:50 ratio.

Anyway I'm not so down on sugar these day, everyone knows you shouldn't eat a lot of it. After many months of self testing I'm with William Davis that wheat is the modern day scourge. That doughnut was mostly wheat! I was 3ish stone heavier in my mid twenties and looking back it was mostly due to an increase in wheat in the form of breads and pasta. It took from Feb to September of last year to convince myself that wheat may not be healthy for me, given the good press it gets.

Balance is important but what the balance is is hard to figure out. I cannot function on the standard food pyramid. I have tested it for 33 odd years and things got progressively worse. And in case anyone thinks I ever said the opposite, I would not argue that people do thrive on very high carb diets. I find that eating nutrient dense food satisfies my hunger better and for longer .....fish, red meat, fatty cuts, liver, healthy oils, butter, eggs, nuts and good quality low GI vegetables with starchy stuff in moderation. That choice of foods leads me into the higher protein and fat range of foods that aren't fortified artificially with vitamins.

And to finish (anyone still reading?), I didn't like the blanket statement at the end that exercise is good for you. Exercise is good for you in the correct dose. And like micro nutrient content of your diet it varies from individual to individual.

Food Nazi Signing off.

Advertisement