Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australian Open 2014

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Right down the tram line! Get in!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭bing3

Theres the break. Come on Stan. See it out.

He just wrote off the 3rd it seems

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Okay, [gender-neutral term for collection of posters], whom is your money on?

I think that Wawrinka only needs to recover for one of Nadal's service games and he's got it in the bag.

So, here goes...WAWRINKA TO WIN.

I really want Stan to win, one of the only lads around atm that has a beautiful game to watch, there's something about a one handed backhand that gets to me! In every way, Stan is very similar to a Federer of old, heck his backhand is even better due to Stans control over it. Definitely can see Stan notch up a few grand slams if he can keep this up.

Buuuut, I can see Nadal crawling back into it, he is a fighter.

Stan is up a break, c'mooooooooon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

C'mon Stan!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Mr Pseudonym

I preface this by saying that I didn't see the first two sets (!!), but, based on current performance, Wawrinka does not deserve to win this!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,183 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

What a crazy match. A 70% Nadal hanging in thanks mainly to Stan's unforced errors.

Wtf

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Shocking game from Stan there

Great rally

• Advertisement

Come on STAN!!!

Sweet!

New balls for Aces!!!

This has to be it. New balls. Four big serves. First Grand Slam awaits.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭bing3

Get in. Delighted for him.

Well done Stan!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 54,758 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Delighted for Stan. Delighted. How impacting was Nadal's injury? Didn't see most of the first 3 sets.

Set and a break uninjured then Rafa got injured put Stan off his game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

walshb wrote: »
    Delighted for Stan. Delighted. How impacting was Nadal's injury? Didn't see most of the first 3 sets.

Didn't see most of it either but it seems a bit demeaning to Wawrinka when the BBC commentators start harping on about Nadals injury the moment he's won the match.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

what price was wawrinka at start of tournament?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Mr Pseudonym

I wonder can anyone tell me what irked Wawrinka about Nadal and his injury time out?

• Advertisement

Didn't see most of it either but it seems a bit demeaning to Wawrinka when the BBC commentators start harping on about Nadals injury the moment he's won the match.
    Well in fairness it was the main talking point of the final. Delighted Stan has won it but there's no doubt he did it against a clearly subdued Nadal. Stan new Swiss number one as well.

I wonder can anyone tell me what irked Wawrinka about Nadal and his injury time out?

Breaking his great form

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Super happy for Stan. So refreshing to see such an attacking style winning a slam again. Makes for a hugely interesting year, Stan has arrived, Nadal and Novak will always be around, Murray on the way back and despite what many think I feel Federer will be around in the late stages of slams again this year. Enticing :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

What are the odds of Li Na or Stan Wawrinka doing a calendar Grand Slam??:pac:

Really enjoyed this year's Aussie...what little I saw of it. Upsets all over the place. Bodes well for 2014 season.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Well done Stan!

Rumours on twitter that Rafa isn't doing press, going straight to hospital. I wonder if the crying was more physical pain than loss?

Don't think you can take it away from Stan though. What a turnaround from his heartbreak here last year. He's steadily improved all year and is a deserved champion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

Stan was beating a 100% nadal in the first set and he did so playing amazing tennis. His level dropped hugely after the MTO. Really hard to keep concentration against an injured opponent. Credit it to him for getting his head together finally.
    Well done Stan, no question that it was deserved.
    World no. 3 as well!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Like many others didn't bother with the first two sets, then switched on and... stunned :confused::D

Rafa's in press now, so obviously those rumours I mentioned were just that.

Eurosport discussing how faster balls and court made for a much more entertaining tournament this year.

• Advertisement

Mousewar wrote: »
    Stan was beating a 100% nadal in the first set and he did so playing amazing tennis. His level dropped hugely after the MTO. Really hard to keep concentration against an injured opponent. Credit it to him for getting his head together finally.
    Well done Stan, no question that it was deserved.
    World no. 3 as well!
    Stan played great tennis in that opening set but there's no way Nadal was 100%. His movement was clearly restricted for certain points. Got worse as the set progressed ultimately leading to the MTO.

Advertisement