Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australian Open 2014

Options

Comments

Nice to see lots of WTA players congratulating Li Na on twitter. The press love to paint the women as bitches and create these rivalries and stories out of nowhere. Li Na seems to be universally liked.

Good to see that the thread has actually moved back to talking about the Australian open again. Li Na was gracious and funny in her little speech. Seems like a decent person. She doesn't have to give most of the prize money to the Chinese government anymore (used to be the case years ago!) which is nice for her! She earns a fortune these days from endorsements - almost more than Sharapova so she's not worrying too much!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

glasso wrote: »
    Good to see that the thread has actually moved back to talking about the Australian open again. Li Na was gracious and funny in her little speech. Seems like a decent person. She doesn't have to give most of the prize money to the Chinese government anymore (used to be the case years ago!) which is nice for her! She earns a fortune these days from endorsements - almost more than Sharapova so she's not worrying too much!

Yep, she's the only Nike sponsored athlete who is allowed to have another sponsor patch on her kit. The Asian market is worth billions to companies like that so she's doing quite nicely for herself.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

How long more do ye reckon Li will keep playing for? I reckon next season max. Given that she recently said that she almost retired last year, I actually wouldn't be surprised if she makes this season her last... going out on a high and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,758 ✭✭✭✭walshb

WaterLily. wrote: »

Cant wait for sunday, I think it will be closer than people think. Come on Stan :D

I hope so, but I just can't see it. Nadal's style matches up so well against Stan. Nadal may be at this time at his absolute peak.

3 sets. 6/4 7/5 6/3

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

walshb wrote: »
    The court speed and ball speed debate is tedious. Good to read some points and statistics, but some place far too much emphasis on it, and it revolves around Nadal. The man is a top 5 ever player. He has won on all surfaces consistently. When will the excuses end?

As for baseline vs, serve and volley. Many claim baseline is boring. I think serve and volley is more so. The rallies end far too quickly. The most exciting rallies are from the baseline. Yes, some can be boring, but many are epic.

I can find baseline rallying interesting. I'm not looking for every match to be s&v and every court to be fast. I'm looking for even one slam, even one decent tournament to favour those conditions and for just a little bit of variety. Rather than the one style of tennis dominating every tournament in a sport that used to be known for its variety. But people like cheering a winner so go Nadal.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

How long more do ye reckon Li will keep playing for? I reckon next season max. Given that she recently said that she almost retired last year, I actually wouldn't be surprised if she makes this season her last... going out on a high and all that.

I suppose it depends on how the rest of her season goes. If she's still competing and winning I don't see why not. I can't see any of the younger players making huge leaps this year to shake up the top 5 so I don't see why she wouldn't keep playing. I don't think she'd quit for tennis reasons, maybe personal ones though. She might be fed up or want to start a family.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,758 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Mousewar wrote: »
    I can find baseline rallying interesting. I'm not looking for every match to be s&v and every court to be fast. I'm looking for even one slam, even one decent tournament to favour those conditions and for just a little bit of variety. Rather than the one style of tennis dominating every tournament in a sport that used to be known for its variety. But people like cheering a winner so go Nadal.

If you don't think Nadal has variety then his brilliance really is lost on you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1 Timothy Pecan

Come on Stan, brilliant stuff here.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Wawrinka is on fire. Really going for his shots and nadal has no answer so far.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Very convenient time for Rafa to get an injury

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,021 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Nadal gamesmanship?:eek:

You are probably one of those simpletons who think wrestling is fake:mad::pac:

Nadal getting booed! Amazing!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Nadal can barely move

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Retirement looks imminent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

Great match from Wawrinka!! Nadal's injury shouldn't take anything away from him, should he win. The Stanimal has had a fantastic tournament!!

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭WaterLily.

I thought that at first but he looks like he is in agony out there.

Its almost painful to watch, whether you like Nadal or not its an awful thing to happen in a slam final.

Very happy for Stan though, he is playing incredibly well and Im so pleased for him for finally breaking through properly :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,183 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

WaterLily. wrote: »
    Very happy for Stan though, he is playing incredibly well and Im so pleased for him for finally breaking through properly :)
    It's not over yet........

• Registered Users Posts: 12,021 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Pighead wrote: »
    It's not over yet........

Exactly, Rafa a break up and much more power in his shots.

You can forget a retirement, Stan going to have to earn this the old fashioned way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Mr Pseudonym

I just flicked the match on now, having decided not to watch it because I thought Nadal would win in straights (with maybe two tie-breaks). I'm AMAZED! But, Nadal looked pretty tasty in his last service game. Can he really go another two-and-a-half sets with a blistered hand and a dodgy back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Come on Stan!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,183 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Nadal has barely moved during Stan's last two service games. Seems to be saving all his energy for his own service games. Serving for set now. Lose this and he's finished, win it and who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭WaterLily.

Spoke too soon hah. He needs to keep his concentration and not get ahead of himself. Easier said than done I suppose!!

Make Rafa move!

efb wrote: »
    Make Rafa move!

Or, at least don't make unforced errors.

Yes! Get in!

That was woeful by Stan.

Nadal hasn't been close to breaking since early in the third.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Amazing the turnaround in Nadal. One of his greatest performances ever against Federer just the other day and he looked feeble for much of the match thus far, wonder can he really turn it around and take it to a 5th!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭token56

As much as it pains me to say it Nadal can't win this. He can't contest on any serve against and is struggling just to win his own.

Anybody who suffers with back problems and plays sport will know just how debilitating those problems can be. I'm surprised Nadal has been able to get this so far in the game, but unfortunately a come back is not to be.

John.Icy wrote: »
    ...He's looked feeble for much of the match thus far, wonder can he really turn it around and take it to a 5th!

Okay, [gender-neutral term for collection of posters], whom is your money on?

I think that Wawrinka only needs to recover for one of Nadal's service games and he's got it in the bag.

So, here goes...WAWRINKA TO WIN.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭bing3

Okay, [gender-neutral term for collection of posters], whom is your money on?

I think that Wawrinka only needs to recover for one of Nadal's service games and he's got it in the bag.

So, here goes...WAWRINKA TO WIN.

Stan for me. Serving first in this set should help the nerves.

Advertisement