Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What's the oldest car you saw on the road today?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,449 ✭✭✭blastman

Usually mine :) (91 D), although there's sometimes a 90 D Charade parked in the estate.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

amandaf675 wrote: »
    toyota-corolla-ae86.jpg

I wouldn't mind but I was only discussing Levins with a guy on the Bangernomics thread only a few days ago. I must say, the photos I've seen of them don't do them justice hence why I didn't recognise one in the flesh. It reminded me of a miniature Rover Vanden Plas when I was looking at it last night.

I'm still not sure how they're supposed to be nippy though considering they were only powered by 1.6 L engines that were made 20-30 years ago? Were they turbocharged or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭Kaiser D

Griffith avenue today, old Irish reg Peugeot 309, Morris Minor and a Jag MK2.

1990 Corolla which looks to be abandoned in a garden around the corner too.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Youzername

Kaiser D wrote: »
    96 Volkswagen Vento today, OAP driver, and it looked lovely

I always see one of them with an OAP driver too.

Looks well kept.

Artane Area?

Youzername wrote: »
    I always see one of them with an OAP driver too.

Looks well kept.

Artane Area?

Close, it was Clarehall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Kaiser D wrote: »
    Griffith avenue today, old Irish reg Peugeot 309, Morris Minor and a Jag MK2.

1990 Corolla which looks to be abandoned in a garden around the corner too.

The 309 was an early one - 86 was the last year of the old Irish plate system (pre 87) but I think it was the first year on the market for the 309.

Not too many 309s sold in 86 either id say - most of the early ones were on the new system - 87 onwards from what I recall.

Ill be around there tomorrow, so Ill try get a photo of it.

The old reg does look at odd on it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

Seen a toyota supra today 94 reg :)

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭amandaf675

Jesus. wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind but I was only discussing Levins with a guy on the Bangernomics thread only a few days ago. I must say, the photos I've seen of them don't do them justice hence why I didn't recognise one in the flesh. It reminded me of a miniature Rover Vanden Plas when I was looking at it last night.

I'm still not sure how they're supposed to be nippy though considering they were only powered by 1.6 L engines that were made 20-30 years ago? Were they turbocharged or something?

No but they only weight about 900kgs so there a light car! Tbh I dont think there that nippy but they have serious potential

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Moomat

No but they only weight about 900kgs so there a light car! Tbh I dont think there that nippy but they have serious potential

RWD :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭ianobrien

Jesus. wrote: »

Moomat wrote: »
    RWD :D

They were never that "fast", but they sounded if they were and went everywhere sideways. The 1.6 engine produced good power (and can be tuned to crazy horsepower for a 1.6 n/a). As there was very little weight they were quick off the line and had ar$e out handling.......

Edit - I find them hard work to drive, noisy, thanks to all being lowered twitchy when pushed and a 205GTi cross country is quicker point to point.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

today seen a white ex telecom eireann with very faded TE stripes and over spray onn every panel in Ashbourne Tesco car park..

89 D 4****

ianobrien wrote: »
    They were never that "fast", but they sounded if they were

I always though "rasp" summed up their unique sound. Haven't seen a twin cammer in years

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭ianobrien

Moomat wrote: »
    I always though "rasp" summed up their unique sound. Haven't seen a twin cammer in years

There has been a white one head up Patrick's St in Cork every Saturday at half 1ish for the past three weeks. If you are town tomorrow you may be in luck.

ianobrien wrote: »
    There has been a white one head up Patrick's St in Cork every Saturday at half 1ish for the past three weeks. If you are town tomorrow you may be in luck.
    I'll have to take your word for it! As fond as I am of them I don't think I could justify the day trip from Dublin :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,355 ✭✭✭ofcork

Theres a rolls Royce around cork a lot with a zv reg,not sure what year that is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Andrew_Doran

80s/90s Lancia Thema.

I didn't get the reg, but I don't care, what a cool car!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

Red 91 Saab 900 S Turbo!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Have your pick on the M7/M9 to waterford yesterday - 90 d toyota corolla on the naas road, A reg vauxhall carlton near carlow and passed a 90 d mini just as we passed killkenny

• Advertisement

90 C micra yesterday amazing how small and boxy they look now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭toyotaavensis

1968 triumph

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

94-KE Nissan Sunny

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

91 Mini

93 Nissan Sunny hatchback in Swords, and an 88 saloon along Griffith avenue yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭Silvera

'93 Renault 19 'Chamade' Saloon (elderly male driver..possibly purchased new by him)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Sobanek wrote: »
    Red 91 Saab 900 S Turbo!

I saw a black 1990 one today. Fook me the sound from it was amazing :cool::cool::cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Lofty123

'91 G Proton behind me today between Clonmel & Cashel, can't be too many of those in Ireland. Guy was driving it on, didn't think they were that fast, AFIK they were only 1.3 petrol?

90 C pajero I think it was on Patrick street last night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,806 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

89 CE Land Cruiser near Portumna - probably white one time, rough looking but still able to tow

Seven Worlds will Collide

Advertisement