Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meath GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

DIT on Sunday.

Strong team named

Meath (O'Byrne Cup v DIT) - Paddy O'Rourke; Caolan Young, Sean Curran, Michael Burke; David Dalton, Eoghan Harrington, Paddy Gilsenan; Conor Gillespie, Shane O'Rourke; David Larkin, Damien Carroll, Graham Reilly; Eamon Wallace, Stephen Bray, Michael Newman.

Subs - Conor McHugh, Seamus Kenny, Dalton McDonagh, Donal Lenihan, Conor Sheridan, David Bray, Cillian O'Sullivan, Padraig McKeever, David McQuillan, Brian Power

Lets hope its the first of many wins against teams with 'Dublin' in their name this year.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,398 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Surprisingly strong alright. No new faces at all in the starting lineup. Good to see Shane back in a Meath jersey. Vital that he stays fit with Brian Meade out.
    Anyone know if there are any Meath players on any college panels?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

iDave wrote: »
    DIT on Sunday.

Strong team named

Meath (O'Byrne Cup v DIT) - Paddy O'Rourke; Caolan Young, Sean Curran, Michael Burke; David Dalton, Eoghan Harrington, Paddy Gilsenan; Conor Gillespie, Shane O'Rourke; David Larkin, Damien Carroll, Graham Reilly; Eamon Wallace, Stephen Bray, Michael Newman.

Subs - Conor McHugh, Seamus Kenny, Dalton McDonagh, Donal Lenihan, Conor Sheridan, David Bray, Cillian O'Sullivan, Padraig McKeever, David McQuillan, Brian Power

Lets hope its the first of many wins against teams with 'Dublin' in their name this year.

Is Mattimoe from Kells still on the panel? I thought he'd get a run out in this competition. It's a very strong line up to be playing a college team.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

Surprisingly strong alright. No new faces at all in the starting lineup. Good to see Shane back in a Meath jersey. Vital that he stays fit with Brian Meade out.
    Are Meath involved in the Hastings Cup ,at u21 the weekend,if it is still going ahead.
    Would they be a few involved with them.

Are Meath involved in the Hastings Cup ,at u21 the weekend,if it is still going ahead.
    Would they be a few involved with them.

This article from November says were down to play Wicklow tomorrow

http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=205010

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dixiefly

Paddy Gilsenan at wing back?:confused:

This article from November says were down to play Wicklow tomorrow

http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=205010
    cheers lad.
    Yeah I thought that,but with the weather I was unsure,if it is a bad down there as it here down South.

Lemlin wrote: »
    Is Mattimoe from Kells still on the panel? I thought he'd get a run out in this competition. It's a very strong line up to be playing a college team.
    No idea about Mattimoe. Seemed to do OK in the challenge games.

To be fair, DIT are the strongest college team and, in my opinion, would be better than most Leinster teams, especially at this time of year. I know last year they had the likes of Aidan O'Shea, Menton, Alan Freeman, Darran O'Sullivan and your own Gearoid McKiernan, David Givney and Martin Reilly. Not sure whether any of these players are still there or not, but they certainly would have a decent panel of players.
    I'd expect the winners on Sunday to win both their remaining games. I think we could do with getting to the semi finals and get at least one more game under our belts before the league starts. I'd assume that's why such a strong team has been named. I'd expect a much more experimental side on Wednesday.

2-17 1-06 win in Hastings Cup

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Brian Menton is captain for DIT tomorrow

• Advertisement

Off to a winning start. First of many I hope. Good to have Shane O'Rourke back. No point over analysing a game so early in the year. Only complaint was we didn't kill the game off sooner. We always looked like winning but it should of been more than a 3 point gap in the latter stages. Got the 4th goal anyway so that ended it as a contest.

Good to get the win. Shouldn't really have much trouble winning the next two games and making the semi finals.
    Hopefully Wallace's injury isn't serious. Himself and Newman seem to have developed a great understanding between each other.

IT Carlow on Wednesday should give more fringe players a chance to impress.

Just a heads up to anyone travelling to the Wicklow game on Sunday, the venue is Baltinglass and not Aughrim.

Off to a winning start. First of many I hope. Good to have Shane O'Rourke back. No point over analysing a game so early in the year. Only complaint was we didn't kill the game off sooner. We always looked like winning but it should of been more than a 3 point gap in the latter stages. Got the 4th goal anyway so that ended it as a contest.

On the positive side, it was a good win to get. However, I would agree that we switched off in the 2nd half.

I thought that Dalton and Larkin also did well which is another positive.

By picking a pretty strong team you would hope that Mick O'Dowd is targetting the league. Number 1 priority atm must be promotion and then build on that.

dixiefly wrote: »
    On the positive side, it was a good win to get. However, I would agree that we switched off in the 2nd half.

I thought that Dalton and Larkin also did well which is another positive.

By picking a pretty strong team you would hope that Mick O'Dowd is targetting the league. Number 1 priority atm must be promotion and then build on that.

Another positive being David Brays return.

As for promotion, I remain to be convinced. We'd need to be targeting 3 home wins and away wins to Laois and Louth. Our records in Clones and Ballybofey doesn't have me confident about those matches. Either way we need to achieve a level of consistency in the league which we haven't shown for a very long time.

Another positive being David Brays return.

As for promotion, I remain to be convinced. We'd need to be targeting 3 home wins and away wins to Laois and Louth. Our records in Clones and Ballybofey doesn't have me confident about those matches. Either way we need to achieve a level of consistency in the league which we haven't shown for a very long time.

Would that not be, at least in part, due to us not getting a settled team early on? After all, we have had some decent runs in the championship in some of those years.

Mick O'Dowd seems to be sending out a message by playing a pretty strong side that we want to start the league running and not use it as an opportunity to try out players for the championship. If that is the case I would agree with the approach.

how did michael shields do for DIT,did he play a full game and centre back or full?

how did michael shields do for DIT,did he play a full game and centre back or full?

Full game at full back

How did any of the Cavan lads do? Ross Sheridan started for DIT but he isn't really in our senior panel. He's played for the juniors.

Did the 6 foot 6 colossus Argue get a run off the bench?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Lemlin wrote: »
    How did any of the Cavan lads do? Ross Sheridan started for DIT but he isn't really in our senior panel. He's played for the juniors.

Did the 6 foot 6 colossus Argue get a run off the bench?
    Is that the lad who played midfield for ye in the league in Navan last year. He is a ****ing giant. Looked about 7 foot 6

• Advertisement

Felexicon wrote: »
    Is that the lad who played midfield for ye in the league in Navan last year. He is a ****ing giant. Looked about 7 foot 6

Nope. Argue wasn't even in the panel in that league game. He would have been with the U21s at that time. Argue worked his way in after a few good displays for the juniors and a good display after coming on against Derry in a qualifier.

The lad you are talking about is Gearoid McKiernan. He missed the championship last year because of a cruciate ligament injury. He's only coming back now.

Argue is a good bit taller than him!

Team for Carlow IT tonight:

Conor McHugh; Caolan Young, Sean Curran, David McQuillan; Seamus Kenny, Brian Power, Paddy Gilsenan; Conor Sheridan, Shane O'Rourke; Cillian O'Sullivan, Dalton McDonagh, Padraig McKeever; David Bray, Stephen Bray, Donal Lenihan.

Subs: Paddy O'Rourke, Conor Gillespie, Mickey Burke, Graham Reilly, Eoghan Harrington, David Larkin, Davy Dalton, Donncha Tobin.

Much more experimental side but with a good few options on the bench if things aren't going our way.
    Great to see Donnacha Tobin back in the squad. He was missed big time last season.

Team for Carlow IT tonight:

Conor McHugh; Caolan Young, Sean Curran, David McQuillan; Seamus Kenny, Brian Power, Paddy Gilsenan; Conor Sheridan, Shane O'Rourke; Cillian O'Sullivan, Dalton McDonagh, Padraig McKeever; David Bray, Stephen Bray, Donal Lenihan.

Subs: Paddy O'Rourke, Conor Gillespie, Mickey Burke, Graham Reilly, Eoghan Harrington, David Larkin, Davy Dalton, Donncha Tobin.

Much more experimental side but with a good few options on the bench if things aren't going our way.
    Great to see Donnacha Tobin back in the squad. He was missed big time last season.

I presume Brian Hurley will play with carlow tonight.He will need some serious watching.

Anyone at the game lads?

I'm not but its a 0-18 0-12 win.

Decent performance again. Of the newer players, Cillian O'Sullivan and Donal Lenehan impressed. David Bray did well in the first half but faded in the second. Mickey Burke did extremely well when he came on.

On the Carlow IT team, Niall Kane (from Simonstown) was quite impressive. Scored 4 or 5 points before Mickey Burke was put on him to quieten down.

Winner of the game in Baltinglass on Sunday will most likely play Dublin the following week.

Decent performance again. Of the newer players, Cillian O'Sullivan and Donal Lenehan impressed. David Bray did well in the first half but faded in the second. Mickey Burke did extremely well when he came on.

On the Carlow IT team, Niall Kane (from Simonstown) was quite impressive. Scored 4 or 5 points before Mickey Burke was put on him to quieten down.

Winner of the game in Baltinglass on Sunday will most likely play Dublin the following week.

Were Joe Dillon or Christopher Conroy playing for Carlow?

Dillon may have come on, can't remember. Conroy wasn't in the squad. They had Kevin Mulvaney at corner forward and he chipped in with at least a point.

Did Brian Hurley play?

• Advertisement

Did Brian Hurley play?
    I'm a little confused. According to the programme, he didn't. But he's down in the Hogan Stand report in the place on Niall Kane.
    From looking at his picture, it looks like it was actually Hurley that played in the 18 jersey. Played very well and got 5 points. Mickey Burke did very well on him in the second half.

Advertisement