Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meath GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Hibbeler

Championship draws for next year were made today. We're on the opposite side of the Leinster draw to Dublin again this year so we should definitely be aiming for another final appearance at least! Carlow first up in the quarter final and assuming we beat them we face either Kildare, Westmeath or Louth in the semi. A third final appearance in a row is definitely achievable. Kildare possibly the main threat but who knows what they will be like under a new manager.

Any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 AndyPipkin

We will beat Dublin in the leinster final. Any chance the Carlow game could be played at pairc tailteann?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭mattser

AndyPipkin wrote: »
    We will beat Dublin in the leinster final. Any chance the Carlow game could be played at pairc tailteann?[/QUOTE]

Probably a better chance than beating Dublin :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

AndyPipkin wrote: »
    We will beat Dublin in the leinster final. Any chance the Carlow game could be played at pairc tailteann?

I think home and away agreements are being enforced for the Leinster Prelim and QFs (except for Dublin). Seen as we had to play away to Wicklow this year it would only be fair.
    Good draw anyway. Hoping we can dispose of Carlow on the first attempt this year. A bit fed up of playing Kildare but looking likely for semi. Hard to call this one so far in advance, we'll see how both teams go in the NFL. Although form will go out the window for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭rpurfield

miles away yet but we should really be aiming at an all ireland 1/4 final next year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

From the outside Im not sure Meath are just ready yet. They could beat Dublin (or anyone) on any given day as really anything wore than a few points win for either side over the years was unusual. Meath will cruise to Leinster final next year and after that its really pot luck.

Was surprised at some of the retirements and would not be surprised to see one or two coming back onto the panel.

I think Meaths biggest problem is getting a consistent performance out of Graeme Reilly. He is so hard to mark when on form but gets a little isolated by times and by that I think he needs close support to offload. Most people expect him to run at defense every time he gets the ball but this can be combated against by top teams so he needs more options and when it does open up he can still use his running ability.

On the venue for next year Would it not be better for players and less pressure to play outside Navan in first game? I would prefer Dublin to play in Tullamore, Portlaois or Navan but Leinster council want the big crowd in Croke park so maybe Dublin and Meath game will be double header that would suit both counties.

Interesting league ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Pegasusbridge

Very exciting finish in the intermediate hurling final today. Well done to Blackhall Gaels who held on for the win.

Anybody at the intermediate and junior football finals today? I see the junior final ended in a draw and Gael Colmcille won well in the intermediate.

Don't think it was a surprise that the junior final was close but I did expect Kells to win out in the intermediate

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Hibbeler wrote: »
    Anybody at the intermediate and junior football finals today? I see the junior final ended in a draw and Gael Colmcille won well in the intermediate.

Don't think it was a surprise that the junior final was close but I did expect Kells to win out in the intermediate

I was at it. The junior was a desperate game. Both teams very nervous and there were mistakes all over the place throughout the entire game. A draw was a fair result because both teams were as bad as each other. Entry to the replay is only €5 Wesnesday night so hopefully it's a bit better. One man I know commented to me he won't be back. He said the most entertaining part of the first half was his bag of popcorn! It was about the 15th minute before a point was scored.

The intermediate was a better game but Kells ran away with it. Athboy did muster a bit of a tempered comeback at the start of the second half but Kells were a lot better. I heard Geraghty was good in the semi but he was no addition today. He was moving positions too much and was far too interested in being cynical to the younger Kells players.

Kells gave number 6 Robbie Flanagan the job of man marking him it seemed and he did a fine job of it. At one stage Gero moved himself onto the Kells number 13 Seamus Mattimoe for no reason other than to foul him it seemed.

Kells well worth their win.

Edit: ludicrous decision at the end of the intermediate final by the ref as well to send off a Kells player when there was a kick of the ball left. I heard he threw a punch (didn't see it) but the Athboy number 7 was more than looking for it and it was pointless to ruin the lad's day at that stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭PaddyCar

Division 2 League fixtures announced for next year

Sunday 2nd feb Meath v Galway
    Sunday 9th feb Monaghan v Meath
    Saturday 1st march Meath v Armagh
    Sunday 9th march Donegal v Meath
    Saturday 15th march Laois v Meath
    Sunday 29 th march Meath v Down
    Sunday 6 th April Louth v Meath

• Advertisement

PaddyCar wrote: »

Need to go out and get 2 points in the first match, no pussyfooting around. We're more than capable of beating Galway.
    Don't fancy heading up to Clones or Ballybofey. Neither are happy hunting grounds for us. Armagh and Down again, same as Galway go out and get the home points. Laois in Portlaoise again shouldn't be anything to fear.
    Set it up nicely for Louth on the final day, hopefully were going for promotion and they are in a relagation battle. Send that lot down, revenge will be sweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭whatnext

I just clicked on this when I was looking at the Meath wiki page and one thing struck me.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centenary_Cup

The Meath Galway game? was it not played in Portlaoise? may have even been a double header with a hurling match.
    Anyone remember?

It has to be said that all of our home games on that list are winnable (a big performance against Galway in the first game could be a great confidence boost) plus on top of that wins away to Laois and Louth should also be doable.

Donegal and Monaghan away would definitely be the toughest matches. Going on last years form Monaghan would be tipped for promotion and we do not want a repeat of playing them in the league last year thats for sure.

Good performances in the first few games and a few new players blooded should hopefully see us in the mix for promotion. I think this year a good league campaign is a must and I feel we should at least win all our home games and challenge for promotion

I'm not of the view that all Meath can get out of the league this year is to stay in division 2, if we are serious about challenging for anything a promotion push is needed (if westmeath can do it...). That and a few new additions to the team hopefully

Anyone at the junior final last night? I didn't travel to it. Sunday's game was enough.

Heard Barry Lynch picked up a bad injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭PaddyCar

Yeah i was at it. Drumbaragh by far the better team. Couple of nice forwards made the difference while Kilmainham were relying on Mickey Newman everytime. Barry Lynch' injury looked very bad. Hope he makes a speedy recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭paul71

whatnext wrote: »
    I just clicked on this when I was looking at the Meath wiki page and one thing struck me.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centenary_Cup

The Meath Galway game? was it not played in Portlaoise? may have even been a double header with a hurling match.
    Anyone remember?

I don't remember that game but I do recall the semi and the final. Very fond memories of that competition I really believe that was where Meath players learned the business of winning under a new young manager and it was because of it that we went on to win 4 All-Irelands.

Yeah i was at it. Drumbaragh by far the better team. Couple of nice forwards made the difference while Kilmainham were relying on Mickey Newman everytime. Barry Lynch' injury looked very bad. Hope he makes a speedy recovery.

He got a nasty gash to his head. There are pics on Twitter.

Did Drumbaragh double up on Newman again? They had two men stuck to him on Sunday.

What was the quality of the game like? Sunday was brutal. I know it's only junior grade but it was dreadful stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭poppers

great comeback win from drumbaragh last night in the leinster championship.. trailed by 0-4 to 2-7 but came back to win 2-15 to 2-7. AET.

poppers wrote: »
    great comeback win from drumbaragh last night in the leinster championship.. trailed by 0-4 to 2-7 but came back to win 2-15 to 2-7. AET.

Is it true they were the nine points down with ten minutes left?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

Are any of the players from summerhill and na fianna on the Meath senior county panel?
    I watched the game on TV today and didn't recognise anyone.
    Bit weird seeing as it's the county final and all, but maybe it's just the case because there are so many clubs in Meath that the senior squad players are all spread out...?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

mystic86 wrote: »
    Are any of the players from summerhill and na fianna on the Meath senior county panel?
    Bit weird seeing as it's the county final and all, but maybe it's just the case because there are so many clubs in Meath that the senior squad players are all spread out...?

Conor Gillespie currently is. Jamie queeney and ollie lewis were last year as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

mystic86 wrote: »

Conor Gillespie currently is. Jamie queeney and ollie lewis were last year as well.

Meath beat Kildare in a challenge last night 2-14 0-09. Not sure of line ups but David Bray and Shane O'Rourke were in action.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭lukin

iDave wrote: »
    Meath beat Kildare in a challenge last night 2-14 0-09. Not sure of line ups but David Bray and Shane O'Rourke were in action.

Very strange time of the year to play a challenge match. Jason Ryan didn't waste any time getting his feet under the table.

Drumbaragh got some hammering by the Kildare champions today. The Kildare lads were very strong from what I hear though.

Meath have Wicklow DIT and IT Carlow in the O'Byrne Cup

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭mattser

So say all of us. Sometimes when we're bitching and castigating lads, we don't know what might be going on in their lives. Best of luck, Shane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭paul71

I knew about it but did not mention it when someone asked here a few weeks ago why he was not playing for Clan na Gael in the final as it did not seem to be common knowledge and did not wish to discuss a players health.

Best of luck Shane and thanks for the years you gave to Meath Football.

Anybody know who Summerhill have to play in next round of Leinster Championship?

Advertisement