Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2014 NFL Draft

Options

Comments

Just regarding Clowney, the Bob McNair has been talking him up the past couple days saying he's a once in a decade athlete and if he gets him he told JJ Watt to instill his work ethic into him, quite obviously trying to shop the first rounder and trade back to pick up a QB.
    A. Why would you use a first rounder on a 4-3 DE that had 3 sacks this season when you run a 3-4?,
    B. If he doesn't have a good work ethic why would you draft him at all?
    If the Texans are picking then don't expect Clowney to be picked 1st.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

Bridgewater is highly overrated. For me Johnny Football is the best at QB. Clowney is the best player overall by some distance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Bridgewater is highly overrated. For me Johnny Football is the best at QB. Clowney is the best player overall by some distance.

Bridgewater might be overrated, but he is a much more polished QB than Manziel. Manziel has some huge gaps in his repertoire as an NFL QB, must noticeably his ability to stay in the pocket and make reads. He also needs to run smarter. He has the chance to be a very good NFL QB, but it won't be for a few seasons yet. He won't come in like Luck or Wilson and succeed immediately. Brisgewater, on the other hand, has the chance to do that. Especially with a stacked team like Houston.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,610 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Who do people feel was the biggest bust of last years draft? I felt Dee Milliner was brutal this season for such a high pick.

_Tyrrell_ wrote: »
    Who do people feel was the biggest bust of last years draft? I felt Dee Milliner was brutal this season for such a high pick.

It's hard to say after one season, and maybe a bit unfair. Eric Fisher didn't blow anyone away, but then do you pick an OT for what they're going to bring in their very first season? He's nowhere near as good as Jake Long was, but then Jake Long sucks now.

I suppose Luke Joeckel would be the biggest disappointment for me. But that's down to injury.

Eit: FWIW I think drafting an offensive (or inside defensive) lineman with an early first round pick is fcuking madness anyway, but that's just me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

He was very poor, but I generally give CB's a free pass in their rookie year as that position is the hardest to transition to from college to the NFL IMO.

Most of the tackles that went high have been poor too but to be fair to them they are mostly playing on the opposite side of the line that they did in college.

It's way too early (usually need to wait three seasons) but if I had to pick based on play so far I'd probably go for Mingo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭franglan

Agreed on Milliner as Revis left it was the right decision to draft a CB early in the draft, you tried to give him the benefit of the doubt as he was a rookie but he was so far off the pace for a good 13 games of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

davyjose wrote: »
    Bridgewater might be overrated, but he is a much more polished QB than Manziel. Manziel has some huge gaps in his repertoire as an NFL QB, must noticeably his ability to stay in the pocket and make reads. He also needs to run smarter. He has the chance to be a very good NFL QB, but it won't be for a few seasons yet. He won't come in like Luck or Wilson and succeed immediately. Brisgewater, on the other hand, has the chance to do that. Especially with a stacked team like Houston.

What you're saying is: Manzielmania (following in the footsteps of........guess who? :pac:)

I saw a bit of him this year, he made some unbelievable plays, and he has an incredible arm, he made one 40+ yard throw look like a 10yard dump-off.

One commentator was hinting that he reminded him of Montana, if so he needs alot of coaching tho, as you say, pocket presence is at top of the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

The idea that Manziel can't be successful early is silly. He'll buy time with his feet and be productive his first year. The question with Manziel is whether he will be able to progress as defenses adjust to his play style in year two and so on. The other genuine concern is his size, not in terms of being a QB, but taking hits from man-mountain NFL players.

More prototypical QBs tend to find the going harder in their early years.

Molly wrote: »
    Chargers got 3 first round picks out of you, good stuff :P

:)

Looking back I think the Packers and Texans would have been very happy to land Fluker and Allen respectively.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

If you're in for the night then the East West Shrine game is on NFL Network at 9pm

Here's a fun draft simulator if anyone wants to give it a go:

http://fanspeak.com/ontheclock/

How it works:

1. Select the team you'd like to draft for.
    2. Select how many rounds you'd like to draft.
    3. Make your picks for your team while the simulator chooses for the other 31 teams based on the best player available and updated team needs.
    4. Share your mock draft online!

Even if you only do a couple of rounds throw up your selections if you give it a go. :)
    mikemac1 wrote: »
    If you're in for the night then the East West Shrine game is on NFL Network at 9pm

Definitely going to watch this.

Jimmy Garappolo (QB) one to keep an eye on as analysts are saying a strong showing could send his stock right up. Cassius Marsh also intriguing as he's a DE who has played some snaps at TE and there's a possibility he will make the switch permanent. Pierre Desir (CB) also getting lots of attention.

Interesting to hear A.J. McCarron isin't going to the senior bowl. Garappolo is going instead and has looked decent so far, his release is very quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

franglan wrote: »
    Interesting to hear A.J. McCarron isin't going to the senior bowl. Garappolo is going instead and has looked decent so far, his release is very quick.

Apparently McCarron's agent says he is a top QB prospect & that top QB prospects don't go to the pro-bowl. I like McCarron as much as anyone but think it would have done him no harm to go to pro bowl.

Jimmy Garoppolo is an intriguing prospect & could come out of Senior Bowl & Shrine game with a very elevated draft stock if he continues to perform as he had done so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

AJ McCarron's agent would want to lay off the drugs if he actually thinks that. He's a third round prospect and skipping the senior bowl will just drop him further down.

HigginsJ wrote: »
    Apparently McCarron's agent says he is a top QB prospect & that top QB prospects don't go to the pro-bowl. I like McCarron as much as anyone but think it would have done him no harm to go to pro bowl.

Jimmy Garoppolo is an intriguing prospect & could come out of Senior Bowl & Shrine game with a very elevated draft stock if he continues to perform as he had done so far.

To be fair, it's hard to argue with his agent.

Syferus wrote: »
    To be fair, it's hard to argue with his agent.

Sorry :P

• Registered Users Posts: 21,610 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Garoppolo got MVP of the East-West Shrine game.

That combined with picking up the last QB spot for the Senior Bowl will send his draft stock right up there. Definitely within the top 10 QBs at this stage before the combine and individual workouts.

Some draft boards have Blake Bortles going in the top five! If Jimmy gets a chance in the senior bowl he would be best advised to buy a suit and head to New York! ;-)

Just getting to it now but I was delighted by Dee Ford's dominant performances all week in training and in the Senior Bowl itself. Showcased his talents wonderfully and he's now in the mix to be a first rounder.

Steven Clark should be able to make the starting line-up of an NFL team, he's an exceptional punter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Barney92

In a similar vein to Paully D's link, this might be interesting for a few of you:
    http://first-pick.com/NFL/Home.aspx

I wonder if any team will take a chance and wait to pick Jimmy G as their qb. Probably none of the top 4 but the Vikings or Raiders might.

Barney92 wrote: »
    In a similar vein to Paully D's link, this might be interesting for a few of you:
    http://first-pick.com/NFL/Home.aspx

I wonder if any team will take a chance and wait to pick Jimmy G as their qb. Probably none of the top 4 but the Vikings or Raiders might.

In the second round you mean?

Derek Carr is the best QB after Teddy Bridgewater IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Barney92

No I meant third round. Although if they like him enough then maybe the 2nd round. I'd pick Carr ahead of him though and if the Vikings can trade down taking him could be a very good choice.

In the second round you mean?

Vikings or Raiders are teams in need of a starting QB right now, Jimmy will be a development QB behind a veteran QB. At very best he will provide competition for an team with just about a starter like the Jets, Tampa or Buffalo.

Paully D wrote: »
    Derek Carr is the best QB after Teddy Bridgewater IMO.

I would agree with you that I see Carr as No.2 QB but pretty much everyone else rates him as the 4th QB in the draft

HigginsJ wrote: »
    I would agree with you that I see Carr as No.2 QB but pretty much everyone else rates him as the 4th QB in the draft

Because he really is. If you look at the advanced stats, he's a solid 4th behind the other guy. I saw them a while back and will try and dig them out.

Edit: Here!

Because he really is. If you look at the advanced stats, he's a solid 4th behind the other guy. I saw them a while back and will try and dig them out.

That's a good article. What the HC/OC ask the QB to do obviously will impact on the stats.

After Bridgewater there is no front runner. I wouldn't draft any other QB in the first round.

• Advertisement

Good read that, I still think Carr is the best after Bridgewater though.

Sure, there's question marks over him but aside from Bridgewater there's question marks over them all. From what I've seen of Carr his footwork and medium distance passing need work. His work ethic is absolutely insane though and he's a film rat with a smart head on his shoulders. If nothing else he's going to give himself as much of a chance as he possibly can to be a NFL QB and it won't be through a lack of application or effort if things don't work out.

I would tend to agree with Chucky in that after Bridgewater there's no front runner and in an ideal world teams should really be waiting until the second round to go after Carr, Bortles etc, but the way teams go after QB's it's likely that 4 will go in the top ten.

Advertisement