Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dun Laoghaire Traffic & Commuting Chat

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,240 ✭✭✭✭ted1

A property bubble is what sealed he deals for the hotel,

Why struggle to make a couple if hundred k a year when you make millions in a day

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

DLR have zoned Dalkey/Killiney as O/O - a unique designation which limits the areas in question to low-density dwellings only. Ostensibly this is to presrve the visual character of the area. A cynic might suggest that it is to preserve property prices in these well-heeled suburbs.

DLR is blind if they think that mandatory low-density will do anything to keep a village economy buoyant. All of Dalkey village's eggs are in the tourism basket. Without people visiting, how is a business to stay profitable in a low-density neighbourhood? It can't be all winebars and galleries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

The problem with this logic is that the population and indeed, business will vacate coastal towns which would inevitably result in them becoming stale.

The problem with this idea is that you seem to think that most people want to live in bland, soulless places. I think you would find that given a choice, most people would prefer to live in somewhere like Dalkey, with all its village charm, then Carrickmines .
    Sure, look at what happened to the Killiney Court and Dalkey Island Hotels. Narrow roads certainly did them huge favors:rolleyes:. Accessibility to both of them was very poor. Both were failing establishments and are now apartment blocks which only benefit their residents. This is exactly what I mean when I say potential gone to waste.

Both failed because they were awful hotels that had nothing going for them often than their location. There are many hotels around the country that are in out of the way locations with small roads that didn't fail because they are actually good hotels first and foremost.

The Dalkey/Killiney area is one of the most beautiful areas in Dublin. I find it weird that people want to destroy it by putting up more advertising, more generic high street shops in the town and building more apartment blocks around the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

reprazant wrote: »
    The problem with this idea is that you seem to think that most people want to live in bland, soulless places.

While Carrickmines is one end of the spectrum (i.e. a purpose built area), other locations such as Blackrock have got a more suitable mix of old and new architecture, fantastic infrastructure and are very accessible by a multitude of transport modes.
    I think you would find that given a choice, most people would prefer to live in somewhere like Dalkey, with all its village charm, then Carrickmines.

Don't get me wrong. I think Dalkey is a fantastic place to live.
    Both failed because they were awful hotels that had nothing going for them often than their location. There are many hotels around the country that are in out of the way locations with small roads that didn't fail because they are actually good hotels first and foremost.

I think the "many hotels around the country" which you are referring are situated well away from their competition. Furthermore, many of them are surrounded by acres of forestry, walkways, lakes and other amenities which are all part of their grounds. While many of them are situated along country roads, the majority of the roads I have seen which surround such hotels are a good bit wider than those found in the Dalkey and Killiney area.
    The Dalkey/Killiney area is one of the most beautiful areas in Dublin.

I amn't disputing this for a second. However, I think more strategic planning is needed albeit, in confined spaces or paths. For example, key roads such Dalkey Avenue and Barnhill Road will need to be widened at some stage in the future or made one-way. Large stretches of these particular roads see buses and other wide vehicles spilling over the center line on the straight. Many of the key rural roads that I have seen don't have this problem.
    I find it weird that people want to destroy it by putting up more advertising, more generic high street shops in the town and building more apartment blocks around the area.

We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one!

Paradoxically, the modern apartment block known as Castle Mews, adjacent to McDonagh's pub in Dalkey has permanently hindered any opportunity to widen the entrance to Dalkey Avenue. This is precisely the kind of improper, non-strategic planning I am referring too. Not to mention that it is completely out of character with the surrounding area. The planners could have easily placed this in a location off the beaten track.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

The Dalkey/Killiney area is one of the most beautiful areas in Dublin. I find it weird that people want to destroy it by putting up more advertising, more generic high street shops in the town and building more apartment blocks around the area.

They are both situated close to the DART, which is currently an underutilised piece of public transport. Planning permission should allow as much (high density if necessary) accommodation to take advantage of this.

Planning based on some subjective visual aesthetic at the expense of people being able to take advantage of readily available public transport is daft.

• Advertisement

They are both situated close to the DART, which is currently an underutilised piece of public transport. Planning permission should allow as much (high density if necessary) accommodation to take advantage of this.

Planning based on some subjective visual aesthetic at the expense of people being able to take advantage of readily available public transport is daft.

There's not much land available in either Dalkey or killiney. Anything would have to be high rise, which wouldn't be in keeping with the area. It would also obscure people's view.

To make areal difference to utilisation if a public transport system which is a really stupid reason to destroy an area. You would probably need an extra 10,000 units. As only a small percentage of these would use the dart.

Up by the luas beside tulleyvale there's open land with a view a development plan to build several thousand units. That'll utilise the luas.

If they really want to help utilise the dart, reduce bus routes that conflict with it. Reduce the price. Make parking cheaper.

As regards your last statement, that's really daft. I think your self a Patrick make every town generic Brophey should really look at moving in together in a purpose built soul less development like carrick mines. There's few historical buildings. a functional characterless retail park. Public transport and a motorway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

ted1 wrote: »
    There's not much land available in either Dalkey or killiney. Anything would have to be high rise, which wouldn't be in keeping with the area. It would also obscure people's view.

Unfortunately, over the last 30-40 years, many of the residential developments in the Dalkey/Killiney area were constructed in a slapdash manor devoid of forward thinking. If you look at the residential areas of other nearby suburbs like Cabinteely, Glenageary and South Killiney, you will notice that many of the key roads have land reserved for road widening and QBC development. I also have reason to believe that Avondale Road was once earmarked for road widening given the amount of space between the boundaries at either side. Conversely, developments such as The Burgage, The Village Gate, Castle Mews and Termon in Dalkey where all built without considering traffic movement further south. Castlepark Court is another development that was built right on top of the road. Brilliant planning:rolleyes:! Ballinclea Heights and Wyvern in neighboring Killiney also failed in this regard. The only recent development I can think of that does tick all the boxes is the Castlepark Residents on the former Garden Center site. It is set back from the main road, it is aesthetically pleasing and yet, is medium rise and relatively high density.
    To make areal difference to utilisation if a public transport system which is a really stupid reason to destroy an area. You would probably need an extra 10,000 units. As only a small percentage of these would use the dart.

High density populations are generally encouraged in close proximity to high frequency rail routes.
    Up by the luas beside tulleyvale there's open land with a view a development plan to build several thousand units. That'll utilise the luas.

This sort of contradicts the logic of your statement before this.
    If they really want to help utilise the dart, reduce bus routes that conflict with it. Reduce the price. Make parking cheaper.

I completely disagree with this statement. If done correctly, the demand for paid parking could easily be transferred to localized DART feeder buses. This way, more cars are taken off the road. Before you say it, my previous comments for road widening are aimed at making the area more accessible to buses and HGVs.
    As regards your last statement, that's really daft. I think your self a Patrick make every town generic Brophey should really look at moving in together in a purpose built soul less development like carrick mines. There's few historical buildings. a functional characterless retail park. Public transport and a motorway

There's no need to be a smart ass!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Planning permission has been submitted to build shops and apartments on land at the royal marine hotel.

These will be more or less built where the gravel car park is and an extension of the block that houses easons.

The path that goes around the corner where reasons is Will be eextended along the front of the new shops and will form the entrance to the hotel. It looks like the road is being shifted and trees planted to hide the shopping centre. The royal marine basement car park will be extended with an entrance in to the apartments.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,781 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Planning permission has been submitted to build shops and apartments on land at the royal marine hotel.

These will be more or less built where the gravel car park is and an extension of the block that houses easons.

The path that goes around the corner where reasons is Will be eextended along the front of the new shops and will form the entrance to the hotel. It looks like the road is being shifted and trees planted to hide the shopping centre. The royal marine basement car park will be extended with an entrance in to the apartments.

Glad to see this is progressing now, its been on the cards as the so called Pavillion III for many years and obviously the crash postponed it. Along with work recommencing on the 'Iceland' site its good to see more people will be living in and near the town centre, hopefully younger residents with a few quid to spend locally. If the town is to grow out of the mire then young indigenous consumers will be a vital part of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Glad to see this is progressing now, its been on the cards as the so called Pavillion III for many years and obviously the crash postponed it. Along with work recommencing on the 'Iceland' site its good to see more people will be living in and near the town centre, hopefully younger residents with a few quid to spend locally. If the town is to grow out of the mire then young indigenous consumers will be a vital part of it.

What work on the old Iceland site? Still just says 'Sale agreed'.?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭ollie1

The Iceland site is going to be a Lidl thats what I have heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Chinasea wrote: »
    What work on the old Iceland site? Still just says 'Sale agreed'.?

If you go round the back to Georges place you will see them working away, and any progress that might have been made.

21/25

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

ollie1 wrote: »

That's what I'd heard. It doesn't seem to be very big though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Another Lidl? We could do with an Aldi in this area surely, that'll be 3 Lidl's around with the 1 on Pottery Rd and the 1 in Deansgrange

• Registered Users Posts: 8,299 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Another Lidl? We could do with an Aldi in this area surely, that'll be 3 Lidl's around with the 1 on Pottery Rd and the 1 in Deansgrange

And don't forget Lidl in Stillorgan as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭davej

ollie1 wrote: »

The new crane that's recently been erected on the site has a big lighted sign that says "Shannon Homes".

davej

• Registered Users Posts: 23,781 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Yeah I think there may be a bit of confusion here, as far as I know there are two separate sites adjacent, one will include the Aldi (or whatever) the other will continue as apartments

davej wrote: »
    The new crane that's recently been erected on the site has a big lighted sign that says "Shannon Homes".

davej

Is the crane not on the old site of Berlitz language school, beside the cigarette butts all over the ground pub McKenna's?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭davej

Chinasea wrote: »
    Is the crane not on the old site of Berlitz language school, beside the cigarette butts all over the ground pub McKenna's?

There are 2 cranes, one on the site you mention (between McKenna's and the Hospital).

The other crane, "Shannon Homes", has just been erected in the last week or so. It is on this site

davej

Great, a bit of progress hopefully. I would be keen that they finish off those apartments on the front there of Lower Georges Street. Saw the sale agreed sign, but no idea what the plan is. The street has been cornered off since this was a building site and a temporary:( walkway put in. But 5 years ain't temporary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭frash

Good article on Dun Laoghaire in this weekend's Irish Times

http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/a-tale-of-two-towns-1.1682163?page=1

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

frash wrote: »
    Good article on Dun Laoghaire in this weekend's Irish Times

http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/a-tale-of-two-towns-1.1682163?page=1

While it's good to see DL remain in the spotlight (can you tell what area Irish journalists live in and/or like to visit regularly?!), it's just another argument pointing out the obvious. That photo of the empty block of shops with Dunnes on the end, AFAIK, Dunnes own the entire block and have left it to degrade over time to such an extent that they can no longer accommodate new businesses as the units are not fit for purpose (is that a new development agreement I can hear being drawn up?).

The library cultural centre is massive, but when you stand back it's no bigger than its surrounding competition;

dun4.jpg

It's right to scrutinize it, the reasons for building it, the cost and who had objectivity over granting permission. But as a weekly user of the existing library, I can't wait for it to open. The old library is appalling, it's tiny, they keeps rubbish hours and the staff look utterly miserable. Tallaght has a flagship "county" library that is a huge benefit to that area, why can't DL?

DL needs investment, it needs upgrading and it needs positivity, all I hear is objections and reasons why it can't be changed. It's time to stop sniping from the galleries and time to come up with suggestions and proposals that are realistic and doable. Otherwise the fringe elements will become the loudest voice of opposition and nothing positive will emerge from a them vs us situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

The beach is like Monaco and the rest of the town is like Beirut

couldn't put it better myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭SimonMaher

Tabnabs wrote: »
    While it's good to see DL remain in the spotlight (can you tell what area Irish journalists live in and/or like to visit regularly?!), it's just another argument pointing out the obvious. That photo of the empty block of shops with Dunnes on the end, AFAIK, Dunnes own the entire block and have left it to degrade over time to such an extent that they can no longer accommodate new businesses as the units are not fit for purpose (is that a new development agreement I can hear being drawn up?).

The library cultural centre is massive, but when you stand back it's no bigger than its surrounding competition;

dun4.jpg

It's right to scrutinize it, the reasons for building it, the cost and who had objectivity over granting permission. But as a weekly user of the existing library, I can't wait for it to open. The old library is appalling, it's tiny, they keeps rubbish hours and the staff look utterly miserable. Tallaght has a flagship "county" library that is a huge benefit to that area, why can't DL?

DL needs investment, it needs upgrading and it needs positivity, all I hear is objections and reasons why it can't be changed. It's time to stop sniping from the galleries and time to come up with suggestions and proposals that are realistic and doable. Otherwise the fringe elements will become the loudest voice of opposition and nothing positive will emerge from a them vs us situation.

Really well written post Tabnabs both about Dun Laoghaire and the value of the library.

the problem is that if you stand down by teddy or the baths area you are no longer in Dun Laoighre.

all you see is the library, no more pavilion, church, city hall etc.

i think that this will have a negative effect as it puts mental block that'll stop people from going past it. i may revist my idea when its finished but my current belief is that it should have been st back about 50m.
    Nest time your down there stand at the steps by the kingston and look towards Dun Laoighre. its gone !!! all you can see is the UCD Arts block/ sorry i always get that confused with the new library.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

the problem is that if you stand down by teddy or the baths area you are no longer in Dun Laoighre.

all you see is the library, no more pavilion, church, city hall etc.

i think that this will have a negative effect as it puts mental block that'll stop people from going past it. i may revist my idea when its finished but my current belief is that it should have been st back about 50m.
    Nest time your down there stand at the steps by the kingston and look towards Dun Laoighre. its gone !!! all you can see is the UCD Arts block/ sorry i always get that confused with the new library.

Ah here, have a look at this (massive photo).

http://homethoughtsfromabroad626.files.wordpress.com/2013/05/001a5.jpg%3Fw%3D500%26h%3D285

I believe they call it progress.

Buildings get built and block out what's behind them. The Georgian terraces are guilty of this, the churches, the town hall, the shopping centres, the office blocks, they all block out the area behind them. Tell you what, go to the front door of the Royal Marine and look out to the harbour, you will barely notice the behemoth being built a few metres away...

Over 1 million people walk the east pier every year, I doubt a single one of these is going to say; nope, not passing a building that hides a bit of the rest of the town. This is a public building, apart from the offices that the CoCo deny/talk down, it will be open to you and me to enter and use. How often can you say that about a new large development?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,623 ✭✭✭✭josip

Ah here, have a look at this (massive photo).

http://homethoughtsfromabroad626.files.wordpress.com/2013/05/001a5.jpg%3Fw%3D500%26h%3D285

I believe they call it progress.

Great photo.

I hope those cab drivers put their €2 in the meter.

Coincidentally, here are the plans of the new library from the CoCo FB page.

1610060_273792946118563_925496779_n.jpg
    The Central Library & Cultural Centre in Dún Laoghaire will have a gross area of 6,520m2 and will offer a range of facilities across four public floors. The floor plan, which is available to view below shows where the following facilities will be placed in the building.

1. Moran Park Level.
    This is the lowest floor level accessible from the Metals and will contain a studio space with retractable seating for 100 people, Café, Public Toilets, Training Rooms and the Library Staff offices,

2. Haigh Terrace Level.
    This is where the main entrance will be off Haigh Terrace and will contain a reading & public internet space, the Municipal Gallery, Book Taster selections + Magazines, DVD + CD display, Computers/Laptops, Teenager’s Library and Community Meeting Rooms.

3. Floor 1.
    This floor will contain the Main Lending and Children's libraries and a study area.

4. Floor 2.
    This floor will contain a Reference Library, Local History Library, Writer in Residence Room and Community Meeting Rooms.

The Development also includes 100 parking spaces.

The Development also includes 100 parking spaces.*cough*free staff parking, BIK*cough*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

If I remember an interview on Pat Kenny they had no idea what the other floors of the building were going to contain...great that they were able to come up with a nice waffle-diagram so quickly....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,440 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Is that picture back to front by any chance? If not, where was it taken from?
    The angles look all wrong

Edit: actually it's not. I thought that church in the photo was the Catholic Church tower on Royal Marine Road. It's the tower in what's now the National Maritime Museum.

Advertisement