Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Multi-functional events centre (Budget 2014)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

brewery quarter would be great for the city center its crying out for a boast the grand parade area is so depressing with its boarded up buildings whenever im in down I never go pass Oasis coz there is no point. great for pubs, restuarants, hotels, b&bs taxis, retail. might bring a few late opening coffee shops etc to the Washington st area instead of all those horrible looking chippers. the big issue here is traffic management, yes there is a train service to east cork, limerick and tipp but if you have a gig starting at 8 the train services will have finished on some routes by the time the gig is over. so maybe an agreement could be put in place with cie for a shuttle bus sevices from the park and rides to the sell out event there and maybe have a car park facility for mini buses for those travelling outside of city. Also for the normal person wouldn't it be great to be able to have the likes of Disney on Ice, some of the bigger UK comedians coming to Cork instead of having to always going to Dublin. hopefully it will wont take to much longer to get off the ground

Also on the door step of UCC and college of commerce no problems in getting staff for events. with the price of college there would be many a student who would be glad of the opportunity to earn a bit of cash when events would be on, whether its checking tickets, etc. Somes courses are so demanding its hard to keep a job and college so this would be great for them or for non students looking to bump up their income

as for a design of it, I hope (doubt it would happen) its a design we could be proud off. I hate the current view of the cathedral to be blocked and its not some ugly building. unfortunately in this country in the last 10 years some ugly building were put up

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

brewery quarter would be great for the city center its crying out for a boast the grand parade area is so depressing with its boarded up buildings whenever im in down I never go pass Oasis coz there is no point. great for pubs, restuarants, hotels, b&bs taxis, retail. might bring a few late opening coffee shops etc to the Washington st area instead of all those horrible looking chippers. the big issue here is traffic management, yes there is a train service to east cork, limerick and tipp but if you have a gig starting at 8 the train services will have finished on some routes by the time the gig is over. so maybe an agreement could be put in place with cie for a shuttle bus sevices from the park and rides to the sell out event there and maybe have a car park facility for mini buses for those travelling outside of city. Also for the normal person wouldn't it be great to be able to have the likes of Disney on Ice, some of the bigger UK comedians coming to Cork instead of having to always going to Dublin. hopefully it will wont take to much longer to get off the ground

Also on the door step of UCC and college of commerce no problems in getting staff for events. with the price of college there would be many a student who would be glad of the opportunity to earn a bit of cash when events would be on, whether its checking tickets, etc. Somes courses are so demanding its hard to keep a job and college so this would be great for them or for non students looking to bump up their income

as for a design of it, I hope (doubt it would happen) its a design we could be proud off. I hate the current view of the cathedral to be blocked and its not some ugly building. unfortunately in this country in the last 10 years some ugly building were put up

If you click on the second link in post 20 you can see what it will look like.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Where would you build it?

Some people are forgetting here,its 6,000 capacity not 60,000.

People will be walking to the venue from their homes around the city.People will be travelling in by train from East Cork and North Cork and Limerick.

At most I would say there will be ~2,000 cars maximum with people going to the gigs.These people will hardly expect to drive up to the front door of the venue.Correct traffic management will keep traffic flowing.

From strictly a traffic management point of view, the original plans for near Pairc ui Chaoimh would be best.

But, IMO, the Beamish Brewery is the best overall location. Most central and as people have said, it will rejuvenate the whole South Main Street area.

If it gets built there, I'd like to also see something being done with the Old Sir Henrys site, maybe with a tie in with where the car park is at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

I like the Brewery location - a centre there would really revitalise that part of the city; it's much more "embedded" in the city. But I HATE the building they're proposing. Oversized, dwarfing the Counting House, blocking views of the Cathedral and Elizabethan fort, and the river-side elevation is horrible. One massive bland gray cladding wall, leaning out over the river. I very much hope that never gets built.

9i6c8x.jpg

For that reason, I'd much rather see the Albert Quay proposal succeed. One potential benefit would be it could kick-start the renovation of the Custom House quay / bonded warehouses. If those were cafes/bars/restaurants just across the river from the centre, it would be the ideal setting for pre/post event.

Great news,Bam/Heineken have got planning permission.

Rock n Rolllllllllllllllllllllllllll...................

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/brewery-quarter-centre-will-see-the-dawning-of-a-new-era-250767.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/brewery-quarter-centre-will-see-the-dawning-of-a-new-era-250767.html

While not everyone will be happy with this, I'm very excited by the look of it, and BAM do seem like a non bull$hit company going by their records.

For someone who's not in the know, does this mean that this is definitely getting built or is it just another false hope?

Wherever the centre is built, it needs proper professional management to get the biggest starts in the world to come to Cork.It does make sense for big stars to hit Belfast, Dublin, and then Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

They got planning permission almost a year ago.

evilivor wrote: »
    They got planning permission almost a year ago.

But that was put on hold by the heritage crowd.

CHealy wrote: »
    While not everyone will be happy with this, I'm very excited by the look of it, and BAM do seem like a non bull$hit company going by their records.

For someone who's not in the know, does this mean that this is definitely getting built or is it just another false hope?

Wherever the centre is built, it needs proper professional management to get the biggest starts in the world to come to Cork.It does make sense for big stars to hit Belfast, Dublin, and then Cork.

It will be built,no doubt about that.Its between Bam and Owen O'Callaghan.

The decision now should be a no brainer.

O'Callaghan - an events centre

Bam - an events centre,a viewing tower,counting house,retail,cinema,offices,artists studios,student accomodation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

It will be built,no doubt about that.Its between Bam and Owen O'Callaghan.

The decision now should be a no brainer.

O'Callaghan - an events centre

Bam - an events centre,a viewing tower,counting house,retail,cinema,offices,artists studios,student accomodation.

Do you remember the event centre at Mahon Point? Neither do I. Just because it's promised, doesn't mean it will be delivered. Or if it's delivered, that it would be suitable/sustainable.

There are many factors to be considered, including traffic, parking, the financial sustainability of the project, the positive & negative impacts on local businesses etc. I very much doubt that it's a simple decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭opus

Is there any date for the Corpo to reach a decision as to which is the favoured project or will it just drag on? The Beamish site is certainly the more ambitious plan but I'd agree it does jar with St Finbarrs when viewed from Sullivan's Quay.

According to Neil P on the radio,he says rumours are that O'Callaghan has got it for the Albert Quay site.Bad decision if this comes to pass.

So that will be 2 big jobs for Albert Quay and nothing for city centre.

According to Neil P on the radio,he says rumours are that O'Callaghan has got it for the Albert Quay site.Bad decision if this comes to pass.

No decision has been made.

The contract notice was only in the Official Journal of the EU last Friday inviting expressions of interest within the next 30 days from interested parties for inclusion in a list of parties to move forward to a competitive dialogue phase.

A team has been appointed to assess the bids and it's envisioned that the selection process will be completed by May.

A bit careless of him so,to be saying this on the radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭BUNK1982

Don't be listening to that clown at all!

Sure he's bound to start lobbying for the Albert Quay site given that it's across from the Boardwalk.

I'd be very suspicious if it does go to Albert Quay....

BUNK1982 wrote: »
    Don't be listening to that clown at all!

Sure he's bound to start lobbying for the Albert Quay site given that it's across from the Boardwalk.

I'd be very suspicious if it does go to Albert Quay....

He has no connection to the Boardwalk.

evilivor wrote: »
    He has no connection to the Boardwalk.

Just googled and yes he sold in 2012.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Personally, I like the Albert Quay site. I've posted reasons why before.

I'd still like to see the Beamish Factory rejuvenated but not like this with a big modern multi-functional events centre. Something on a smaller scale would be cool. Between it, Bishop Lucey Park, the Triskel arts centre & and some cool pubs nearby I'd love to see that whole area be the 'go to' place more intimate/smaller scale events with a kind of heritage/arts vibe. That'd be some way down the road though to get investment for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

I never understood how the traffic management side of things would work for the beamish site, all single lane roads, one way system around it a mere sniff of an event and it would be jammers.

• Advertisement

I never understood how the traffic management side of things would work for the beamish site, all single lane roads, one way system around it a mere sniff of an event and it would be jammers.

Unfortunately, unless you put it outside the city, traffic is always going to be a problem but I agree, the Beamish site would be a traffic nightmare (and that's before you even consider the flood of pedestrians trying to access the site). There's not really any scope to add/change lanes or parking either.

I reckon that the traffic situation in the Beamish would be so dire that it would eventually alleviate itself, if that makes sense? Driving to an event there simply wouldn't be an option so people would have to look at alternative methods of arriving there.

The Albert Quay site by comparison already has a busy road network so the impact on the general public would be a lot bigger given it's proximity to the Link Road, train station, bus station etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Michael..

A lot of people are going for the Beamish site simply because it's more ambitious.

I must admit, it does look relatively nice and it would do wonders for that part of the city. However, I notice Bam keep saying that development will take place on a phased basis.

I'm concerned that if Bam get the go ahead they'll build the event centre and leave the rest of the site desolate for many more years until such time as demand for city centre apartments etc picks up.

If it was a straight race between the two event centres - leaving aside the extra development Bam has included - I think O'Callaghan's proposal is superior.

It's location is far better and as far as I know they have Live Nation on board which is an absolute must.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭calnand

The Albert quay site is in my opinion the weaker project. It's an awful design cramped into a location too small for it. The beamish site is far superior, it will create a landmark building in Cork and a new cultural centre in a city that is slowly dying. The brewery quarter is exactly what cork needs to rejuvenate the inner city. Have a read of all the documents available on the planning website, and you'll come to the same conclusion as me. O'Callaghan has done great things for the city but I don't think his event centre is the better choice.

Do you have a link to the Albert Quat plans? I haven't actually seen them (only have my imagination as to what they'll do to the site to go on :))

While I agree, the Brewery area is ripe for rejuvenation I just don't see this modern events centre as being the solution. It does not fit with the area (the cathedral, the park, the Beamish factory) and is one of these horrible clashes of heritage and modern design. Albert Quay is already a modern, glass building area but it's all on one side of the river, while the other side is derelict buildings (are they actually used for anything currently?).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Bacchus wrote: »
    Do you have a link to the Albert Quat plans? I haven't actually seen them (only have my imagination as to what they'll do to the site to go on :))

While I agree, the Brewery area is ripe for rejuvenation I just don't see this modern events centre as being the solution. It does not fit with the area (the cathedral, the park, the Beamish factory) and is one of these horrible clashes of heritage and modern design. Albert Quay is already a modern, glass building area but it's all on one side of the river, while the other side is derelict buildings (are they actually used for anything currently?).

This is something the Examiner threw up on the tube.

This is the Brewery Quarter one.

IMO its no contest, it has to go to the Beamish site to rejuvenate that inner city area. Parking and traffic is going to be an issue either way and I can only hope and assume that the park and ride will be made available to concert and event goers for free.

I dont know why people keep going on about traffic issues for the Beamish site.You are not going to expect to drive up to the front door of the arena.

Also its O'Callaghans arena versus Bams arena plus a whole lot else.

The decision is a no brainer.

Bacchus wrote: »

There will be a €50 million eight-storey office block built there shortly.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/50m-office-block-could-be-biggest-built-in-cork-253226.html

Also,the Clarion hotel and Examiner side is Lapps Quay not Albert Quay.

There will be a €50 million eight-storey office block built there shortly.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/50m-office-block-could-be-biggest-built-in-cork-253226.html

No Examiner on Lapps Quay. They moved out last year.

• Advertisement

CHealy wrote: »
    IMO its no contest, it has to go to the Beamish site to rejuvenate that inner city area. Parking and traffic is going to be an issue either way and I can only hope and assume that the park and ride will be made available to concert and event goers for free.

Those two videos are not good comparisons. The Beamish one is a lot more polished relative to the wire frame Albert Quay one. It automatically just "looks" better (fair play to the planners for the effort they put in btw). Also, the only shot in it that iscomparable to the Albert Quay one is the outside pan around at the start. In the Albert Quay video, all surrounding structures are displayed. In the Beamish one, they have all been removed, making it appear much cleaner and spacious than it really is. I quite like the look of the plan for the Albert Quay site. Would look great along the waterfront.

It's no contest who made a better video but it's certainly up for plenty of debate as to which is the better site & plan.

You are right that parking and traffic will be an issue either way, but I think it will be far worse at the Beamish factory. And it's not just because of people "being dropped to the door", if you want to get anywhere near that site, you have to go through the city due to the network of one way street that you need to go through to get to/from the location. Even if you're just dropped of on Washington street, that car has to go through Grand Parade (or if you're coming from the other direction, you've just gone though the city centre).

Yes of course, I meant "Albert Quay" as in the greater area of the project :)

Advertisement