Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Multi-functional events centre (Budget 2014)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Any update as per why Live Nation would pull out? Seems quite odd given their track record of involvement in this type of project

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

D'Agger wrote: »
    Any update as per why Live Nation would pull out? Seems quite odd given their track record of involvement in this type of project

Details here -

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/live-nation-concern-at-event-centre-provisions-274937.html

Entertainment giant Live Nation Ireland pulled out of the Cork events centre selection process because of "significant concerns" over funding agreements and penalty clauses.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

I dont like their tone in the last paragraph.Whats that all about??.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/live-nation-concern-at-event-centre-provisions-274937.html

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭CB19Kevo

I dont like their tone in the last paragraph.Whats that all about??.

Yeah, When is the right time according to live nation.
    If BAM are not approved it might be many years before we see any development.
    Whole thing is a mess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 822 ✭✭✭zetalambda

LiveNation can't be the only show in town. They must have multiple competitors that would jump at the chance of managing this center.

• Advertisement

zetalambda wrote: »
    LiveNation can't be the only show in town. They must have multiple competitors that would jump at the chance of managing this center.

I think AEG are the only real competitors they have.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭Fabio

It's gone quiet?

Fabio wrote: »
    It's gone quiet?

City Council members will be briefed on the status of the process on July 28 before they go off on their summer holidays.

Basically the process has stalled due to no valid bids being received.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

evilivor wrote: »
    City Council members will be briefed on the status of the process on July 28 before they go off on their summer holidays.

Basically the process has stalled due to no valid bids being received.

I have to wonder how did this all come to the fore now? Unless new conditions were imposed at the last minute (which I doubt) why did this stumbling block surface only now? Or were these long-held objections which just became public knowledge now?

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭FrStone

Did I read that article correctly that PwC are overseeing the process?

I thought O'Callaghan had been backed publicly by PwC, I remember it being said on Prendeville months ago...

• Advertisement

Reports now on 96fm news is that Bam/Heineken have an operator and building work should begin in the Autumn.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Reports now on 96fm news is that Bam/Heineken have an operator and building work should begin in the Autumn.

I'll believe it when I'm standing inside sipping on a €6 pint of Heineken out of a plastic glass.

Hopefully that's true - something is better than nothing but I still worry about congestion in the city from it - I'd imagine car parks such as Paul St. etc will simply extend their opening hours but even then it's still in an awkward part of the city.

Hopefully that's true - something is better than nothing but I still worry about congestion in the city from it - I'd imagine car parks such as Paul St. etc will simply extend their opening hours but even then it's still in an awkward part of the city.

I'm sure there won't be events allowed around peak traffic times - that would make sense for either site.

If the Beamish centre is built, I'd guess they'll keep traffic away from the area. South Main St. & Tuckey St. might well be closed to vehicles on event evenings?

Link please,Cannot find any information on 96fm website.

CB19Kevo wrote: »
    Link please,Cannot find any information on 96fm website.

It's not on any other news or newspaper site either - it was a leak from a FG councillor claiming he believed LiveNation were still involved - I'd imagine a bit of fackchecking killed the yarn.

Doesn't sound good…

Future of Cork city events centre is questioned

Mr Shannon said his understanding was that BAM/Heineken Ireland had been written to and told their bid was invalid because of the absence of an operator. He said he believed the project — to which the government has committed €10m — would now have to go back to the drawing board.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

What an absolute disaster, and thats the end of that. Another dagger into the heart of Cork City.

CHealy wrote: »
    What an absolute disaster, and thats the end of that. Another dagger into the heart of Cork City.
    I'd save those type of comments until it's confirmed that it's dead in the water tbh - for now, while it certainly isn't looking good, there's still a chance of it going ahead.

At least the questions are now being asked and the people in the driving seat are being asked what direction they're headed in because, as the article states, there's been 10 months to find somebody, given the investment being allocated, progress of some sort needs to be shown at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭rebs23

The whole thing is a disaster, just unbelievable from our City Council.

• Advertisement

Was up around Barrack street at the weekend and it's unbelievable the amount of places shut down.
    The area badly needs a lift,That aside the city needs a boost and it really is ridiculous the way this is dragging on...

rebs23 wrote: »
    The whole thing is a disaster, just unbelievable from our City Council.

What was it Diarmuid Gavin called them...something like the biggest shower of clowns he ever worked with.Its probably the worst run city in the country.

Noboby knows who's in charge.

I'd save those type of comments until it's confirmed that it's dead in the water tbh - for now, while it certainly isn't looking good, there's still a chance of it going ahead.

At least the questions are now being asked and the people in the driving seat are being asked what direction they're headed in because, as the article states, there's been 10 months to find somebody, given the investment being allocated, progress of some sort needs to be shown at this point.

It is a bit intriguing. Were the conditions changed in the lead-up to the July deadline, or did the participants just overlook this until the last minute?

I wonder if they have softened the conditions to get LN back on board.

evilivor wrote: »
    I wonder if they have softened the conditions to get LN back on board.

Why do they even need Live Nation.Whats wrong with other operators?.

Why do they even need Live Nation.Whats wrong with other operators?.

Why would one not have the largest bookers/promoters/operators on board? LiveNation are so much more than operators - they are the industry. If you wanna fill a 6,000 venue you want to access to the acts to fill it.

With 17th September being the deadline how long more could we be waiting for a final decision..

CB19Kevo wrote: »
    With 17th September being the deadline how long more could we be waiting for a final decision..

"It'll all be over by Christmas…"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Michael..

More in The Examiner today about it. The new tender stipulates a start date of 5th January.

It's good to see some set dates instead of having an open ended mess where no one knows what's going on.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/euro50m-cork-events-centre-back-on-track-after-new-tender-issued-281840.html

Advertisement