Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hey Maturies/Non-Trads, how's it going?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Dores

Larianne, gratulations! Thank you for all your effort with helping everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭taytobreath

so how did everyone go in their exams for this semester, im hoping i passed, but i doubt i passed with flying colours

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭danbag1989

Heya, mine went well enough I think. Hopefully ill know soon enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Trancechick

My exams start January 15th. Started studying today, can't get my brain to engage at all :(

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

So I'm in the middle of exams and the very end of semester 1 is in sight and I'm loving my course so far.

Bit of background. I had been applying for social care courses for the last two years with no luck and so had to really bulk up my application so began doing voluntary work with CASA who gave me a really good reference.

After a nervy wait for CAO offers, I accepted Blanchardstown's course and I couldn't be happier.

Have met some great people and have done quite well with course work and am *hopefully* doing well in my exams thus far.

Seriously well worth the wait getting in. It's easy to feel like shít when you don't get accepted the first time and the anxious few months of agonizing wait can be a long one but it gives you plenty of time to assess where you can improve on your application.

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Barnet

Well done That_Guy, sounds like you have embraced the opportunity with both hands, you have a very positive attitude.

I'm sitting at my computer trying to finish my essay on 'What I bring to Social Care'. I'm finding it hard to focus, please send some of that positivity my way! frown.png Best of luck with your exams. . .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

so how did everyone go in their exams for this semester, im hoping i passed, but i doubt i passed with flying colours

They went OK, results out tomorrow. 1 module is touch and go at the moment, not sure if i failed it. The rest were tough, but I had all homeworks/projects handed in, so had some ok marks before sitting the exams.

How did everyone else do?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Bouncy11

Hello..just have a quick question. Is it possible to get a course without doing the MSAP? In otherwords do i have to pay the €70 seeing as it only applies to 1 of the courses i applied for.

Thanks!

Bouncy11 wrote: »
    Hello..just have a quick question. Is it possible to get a course without doing the MSAP? In otherwords do i have to pay the €70 seeing as it only applies to 1 of the courses i applied for.

Thanks!

If you dont do it you wont have a hope of getting the course it applies to, but it wont affect other courses that dont require it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Bouncy11

gline wrote: »
    If you dont do it you wont have a hope of getting the course it applies to, but it wont affect other courses that dont require it.

Ok thanks for reply

• Advertisement

Another update.

So I passed all of my exams from semester 1.

Semester 2 is now pretty much over and done with. Handed in my last assignment yesterday with much relief.

Have to say though, the mood/atmosphere around the place was fairly down with people finding little or no motivation since our exams.
    My theory is that it's been constant work work work with no real break in between. I mean our only extended break is Easter next week for two weeks. It felt like a bit of a slog to actually attend college in some cases.

I guess some of the people who took a real "busy body" type approach to things got me a bit down but I've since been able to avoid them and gotten all my work done and I'm happier now that the end is in sight.

Really did fly in this year. Exams upcoming but gonna give myself until Monday to just regroup and take some time off for me. Badly needed. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭sugoo69

Well just got my results and successfully passed with an average over 70%!!! Loving it!!! If anyone would like 1 piece of advice it would be grab it with both hands!!! The young people are bloody annoying and the housework has to slip but it's fabulous!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Mercurial_

After many many months lurking on this forum, I've finally gone and gotten a username. I've been using this place as a how-to guide for the last year and it's paid off.
    I got my offer for UCD science there yesterday, I'm delighted! Is anyone else UCD-bound in September?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Mercurial_ wrote: »
    After many many months lurking on this forum, I've finally gone and gotten a username. I've been using this place as a how-to guide for the last year and it's paid off.
    I got my offer for UCD science there yesterday, I'm delighted! Is anyone else UCD-bound in September?

I'm a PhD there (in science). I won't be demonstrating there next year but if you need any advice feel free to ask me.

Congrats. If you have any questions feel free to ask, I'll be heading into 2nd year physics in UCD in September

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭sugoo69

Good for you - hope you enjoy it as much as I am enjoying my course!! Really miss the college buzz now in the summer but nit missing the young people who can be hard work!! Mature students ROCK!

gline wrote: »
    Congrats. If you have any questions feel free to ask, I'll be heading into 2nd year physics in UCD in September

Any general advice? I'm hoping to head down the pharmacology/biochem road, maybe with a detour via chemistry in second year.
    How's the workload in first year? How rare is it for people to maintain 3.9+ GPA's? How is the social aspect? Are labs interesting? (I'm assuming you didn't do biology if you're going into physics, but maybe you did some chemistry?) If you could go back in time to yourself this time last year, what would you say?

Many questions...

Any general advice? I'm hoping to head down the pharmacology/biochem road, maybe with a detour via chemistry in second year.
    How's the workload in first year? How rare is it for people to maintain 3.9+ GPA's? How is the social aspect? Are labs interesting? (I'm assuming you didn't do biology if you're going into physics, but maybe you did some chemistry?) If you could go back in time to yourself this time last year, what would you say?

Many questions...
    Heres my answers, it may or may not be any help to you.

How's the workload in first year?
    Im not sure about bio or chemistry, but I found the workload in physics to be manageable. I hadnt done any academic work in 12 years since my LC before I started (and I got a terrible LC anyway), so I did study 6 days a week until 10-11pm, however if your level is better than that, then you wouldnt have to put in that much time. Most assignments only require a few hours a week and some of the very bright 1st years could do most assignments in 1 hour or less. Second semester got a bit hectic, but that was due to my low level of maths while doing maths modules designed for LC higher level students.

How rare is it for people to maintain 3.9+ GPA's?
    I only know of 1 other mature student that had a 3.9+GPA upto the semester 2 exams (and it is also quite rare for non-mature students). It is pretty hard to maintain that kind of GPA all through your 4 years. But I dont know your academic level, so it may well be achieveable for you. But I think for most people to maintain a 3,9, they would have to be very bright going in, and still put in a lot of extra study time to maintain that GPA. Also your grades in team based work could depend on the team of people you are put with. (I was lucky to be put with a great team for the scientific enquiry module , and ended up getting an A, even though we lost one member at the beginning, but someothers were not so lucky).

How is the social aspect?
    I'll be honest with you, I have no idea. I didnt get involved in any clubs/societies or nights out etc. The non-mature students are just a bit too young for me and I studied 6 days a week until late in the night, so didnt have time for anything else (The hardest thing I found attending university as a mature student was attending it with young people, they can be quite annoying ;)). But if you are a very sociable person, there is PLENTY to do in UCD, tonnes of clubs/societies/nights out etc, so I wouldnt worry about that.

Are labs interesting?
    I didnt do any bio or chemistry modules so I cant offer any insight on those. The physics labs were OK, it depends on the experiment you are conducting on the day, some are really boring, or badly designed, some are great. But I found them to be a bit of an after-thought, the tutors in the labs were great though and very helpful. Also my advice is, find yourself a good lab partner, that can make a big difference. It is easy to get very good grades in the labs though as the 1st year labs are very "beginner". Even the second year module I did, the labs were easy to get good grades in, even though you have to do long writeups afterward (not required for the 1st year labs). Bio/chem labs could be different, Im not sure.

If you could go back in time to yourself this time last year, what would you say?
    This is a very subjective question, it would be different for everyone, as it all depends on what you want to get out of university and what you want to do with your degree. Personally I went to university just to learn and do as well as I can to go onto research (hopefully), not for any social aspect or just to earn a great salary with my degree. So my advice to myself this time last year would be...study harder before you start in September (I was doing some self-study before I started, but not enough), specifically maths. The worst thing you can say to yourself after you finish the 4 years is... "I didnt put enough time/effort in and I could have done better". It is better to come out of it saying "I did the best I could".

And my general advice is... enjoy it. It is a great oppurtunity in life. An experience you may never experience again, so make the most out of it. Also dont let stress get to you too much.

That is precisely the kind of no bull**** and detailed answer I was looking for, thanks.

And I'm glad I'm not the only one pre-studying. I was wondering if maybe I was doing too much too soon.

That is precisely the kind of no bull**** and detailed answer I was looking for, thanks.

And I'm glad I'm not the only one pre-studying. I was wondering if maybe I was doing too much too soon.

I dont think you can ever do "too much" :) But definitely dont stress yourself or burn yourself out, take breaks and take a day off if you find yourself overwhelmed. There are great resoures in UCD if you need help, like the Maths Support Centre etc, and the tutorials I found great in most modules. That is where you learn the practical usage of the information you get form the lectures, and as mentioned, the tutors and professors etc are very helpful. I dont think I can say I found any of the members of staff terrible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Agent_99

Commented on this post many times.

Just an Update that I was awarded my 2.1 Degree on Monday.

Agent_99 B.Sc (Hons) Food Science and Health :D:D:D:D:D:D

Agent_99 wrote: »

Well done :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭bri007

Congrats well done you must be delighted :)

Agent_99 wrote: »

It's now coming up to a year since I was offered my Social Care course in ITB and in that time I've met some brilliant people and definite friends for life.

Despite a few down moments (particularly in semester 2) I persevered and have passed my first year and even managed to improve my grades which I was pleasantly surprised about.

If I can bloody well pass, anybody can. :)

Good luck to those anxiously waiting on offers coming up soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Many questions...

Hey I'm a biochemist and I can strongly recommend picking it as a degree. It's doable to maintain a 3.9 but it's not easy to say the least. Biochemistry as the name suggests is a combination of biology, chemistry and some biological physics. It's unique in that it gives students the basis in everything.

In fact a lot of biochemistry students later transfer into pharmacology, microbiology or genetics degrees.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭HistoryMania

Hey everyone just dropped by to say that I got offered a place ITT for a level 8 in Social Care Practice. I am delighted, I had a few rejections during the interview process and not making the short list, but I got something in the head.

Wishing all the matures here all the best in their new/current study's :)

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Madame K

Hi everyone!

I just got an offer for an MA in Modern and Contemporary Literature at UCD. I earned my BS in chemistry sixteen years ago and worked in the chemical industry for almost 12 years until I moved to Ireland to join my husband who had just started working here. I'm excited and nervous because it is what I've always wanted to study.

I'm now crossing fingers and toes that I will be allowed the EU fee rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

How do folks. How are we all. My brain is a little frazzled of late comparing colleges/universities, arranging to travel to open days in Scotland and the like. I am trying to make sure I pick the best place for my studies. I'm hoping to study English Literature and History :)

Got accepted into the Access to Arts and Human Sciences in UCD for this September. Delighted. Going to be doing English Literature and History!!! OBVS!

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭HistoryMania

Good luck to everyone in their upcoming studies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Hey everyone just dropped by to say that I got offered a place ITT for a level 8 in Social Care Practice. I am delighted, I had a few rejections during the interview process and not making the short list, but I got something in the head.

Wishing all the matures here all the best in their new/current study's :)
    hdowney wrote: »
    How do folks. How are we all. My brain is a little frazzled of late comparing colleges/universities, arranging to travel to open days in Scotland and the like. I am trying to make sure I pick the best place for my studies. I'm hoping to study English Literature and History :)

Got accepted into the Access to Arts and Human Sciences in UCD for this September. Delighted. Going to be doing English Literature and History!!! OBVS!

WEll done everyone! Best of luck with the studying. Just throw yourselves into it and never be afraid to ask for help. :)

I haven't visited this forum in quite a while!! I graduated a year ago and since then I've gained employment and had to move to a different county. I absolutely love what I do!! I also met a beautiful man because of my move. I'm thinking of moving abroad to gain further experience so will see what the future holds. :)

Advertisement