Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hey Maturies/Non-Trads, how's it going?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭danbag1989

hey i came across this thread, id no idea there was so man non trads thinking bout going to college.
    Im thinking about going to college to study medicine. Im gonna go in off the leaving cert though as there really isnt many places for mature students in med. So im repeating my LC.
    If ieverything goes according to plan ill be starting medicine when im 24,
    Am I mad for doing this????

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

So how is everyone getting on???

I'm currently on placement at the moment down the country. Grand stuff. Have a literature review to do which I am not looking forward to! I'm also Class Rep this year so trying to keep on top of that.

Can't believe it's November already!

Just want to say if you feel like you're struggling with college - the workload or study or anything else, to know that there is support in college, you just have to ask for it! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

Larianne wrote: »

I'm currently on placement at the moment down the country. Grand stuff. Have a literature review to do which I am not looking forward to! I'm also Class Rep this year so trying to keep on top of that.

Just want to say if you feel like you're struggling with college - the workload or study or anything else, to know that there is support in college, you just have to ask for it! :)

I'm not :( missed over a month of practical CA classes due to being sick and contagious so had to defer for a year. felt pretty shítty about it for a while, still feel a bit crap when i think about if for more than a couple minutes

hdowney wrote: »
    I'm not :( missed over a month of practical CA classes due to being sick and contagious so had to defer for a year. felt pretty shítty about it for a while, still feel a bit crap when i think about if for more than a couple minutes

Ah, but it couldn't be helped and you know your place is there for you next year! You'll have a heads up on what you need to do for next year. I'd be very frustrated myself but not your fault!!

Ah, but it couldn't be helped and you know your place is there for you next year! You'll have a heads up on what you need to do for next year. I'd be very frustrated myself but not your fault!!

ah well you see there is no guarantee that there IS a place for me next year. see yes i deferred, but as the head of department said if say 30 people deferred before me (what with deferrals who never started the year, then some of the year who like me deferred before novembers deadline) and therefore i am number 31, and they decide only to offer 30 places (hypothetical numbers, cannot remember how many places there were this year, but i do know there was originally only meant to be 2 class groups and we had 3, hence the even worse than usual timetable!) then i don't get my place :(

• Advertisement

That's a big IF though. Stay positive!

Hi folks I'm putting together my application for next year. Just wondering as a mature I have a lot of old references, should I include any or should I put "references available on request" ?

Thanks in advance and apologies if this is the wrong form.

Dj.

ah yes application. i STILL have to fill in the CAO (paying my 30yoyos online) and fill in the personal reflection yokie, and send in all my documents again. even though all i am putting down is my deferred course!

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭MaMAme

Can't believe it's Nov either. Been sick & missed stuff really struggling time wise as I'm a mother/wife too & there is illness in the family and issues just eating up time. I know there is college support but I've A Literature Review due & no amount of support is going to do it for me!! Not to mention I've never done one before, then the thesis oh man!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 ckkelly

hello there

In the third and final year and hit a wall it seems... I got word today that I failed a module... I did try hard, but as I missed 4 classes out of 12 he failed me.. then went to present my thesis proposal and the panel rejected it.

I guess I'm not surprised that this happened seeing as the proposal was a bit mad.. I just feel so desperate.. so utterly done for... because I ALWAYS do this, I was in 6th place after the summer exams and now am letting it slip slip slip away. Can anyone tell me how to turn things around? I know all the positive mantra's but I can't get past feeling like I've F£$£$% it all off now.

If, I suppose I should say 'when' I repeat the stupid failed module this summer (there goes overseas plans you ejeet) no matter what I produce I'll get a pass mark only. Now that this semester's grades are so low and what with getting no marks for the thesis preparation module then.. what? It's just a scrape through to a bare pass of a degree isn't it?

If I had the price of bottle of whiskey, honestly I would go and get one... and tomorrow's deadline, spose I'll just try to pull something out of the either between now and 9am....

what a moan... I was driving home though, and I just realised I don't have anyone else in the world to say this to right now... how bloody ridiculous is that...

ckkelly wrote: »
    hello there

In the third and final year and hit a wall it seems... I got word today that I failed a module... I did try hard, but as I missed 4 classes out of 12 he failed me.. then went to present my thesis proposal and the panel rejected it.

I guess I'm not surprised that this happened seeing as the proposal was a bit mad.. I just feel so desperate.. so utterly done for... because I ALWAYS do this, I was in 6th place after the summer exams and now am letting it slip slip slip away. Can anyone tell me how to turn things around? I know all the positive mantra's but I can't get past feeling like I've F£$£$% it all off now.

If, I suppose I should say 'when' I repeat the stupid failed module this summer (there goes overseas plans you ejeet) no matter what I produce I'll get a pass mark only. Now that this semester's grades are so low and what with getting no marks for the thesis preparation module then.. what? It's just a scrape through to a bare pass of a degree isn't it?

If I had the price of bottle of whiskey, honestly I would go and get one... and tomorrow's deadline, spose I'll just try to pull something out of the either between now and 9am....

what a moan... I was driving home though, and I just realised I don't have anyone else in the world to say this to right now... how bloody ridiculous is that...

*uuber hug* i really don't know what else to say i am afraid but i feel for you i really do. hope everything sorts itself out.

i am a little argh right now. with the reductions and increases and other charges here and there i am a bit panicked that i won't be able to take up my deferred place next year due to cost. i know there is no point panicking about it in December, but i can't help myself

• Advertisement

ckkelly wrote: »
    hello there

How you feeling now ?

Well, how's everyone getting on? Exams will be coming up soon enough! :eek:

I got a first on placement! :) Delighted with myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭DeXtER1978

This is a great thread people, thank you.

Im starting back college this September (please god) and reading all your comments has made it that wee bit easier to come to terms with :D

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Digitaljunkie

Well, how's everyone getting on? Exams will be coming up soon enough! :eek:

I got a first on placement! :) Delighted with myself.

Well done delighted, you deserve it.....:)

3rd year completed. Final year from September. :eek:

To be honest, I cannot wait to finish college and start working in the area.. which will probably have to be in Australia or Canada. I don't really mind that though, another adventure. :D

Best of luck to those sitting exams at the moment. Nearly there. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 t....d

hi, i was just wondering if anyone could help me out and let me no if im too late to apply for a course :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

t....d wrote: »
    hi, i was just wondering if anyone could help me out and let me no if im too late to apply for a course :confused:

It depends. You are too late to apply to most third level courses via CAO but you could still start a college course in September through the Vacant Places facility. From CAO handbook:
    Available Places/Vacant Places:
    Where there are Available Places/Vacant Places in specific courses, HEIs will advertise these on the CAO website, www.cao.ie under the heading of “Available/Vacant Places”.
    Before making an “Available Place/Vacant Place” application, those matching the description “Restricted Categories of Applicant” on Page 4 should first consult with the Admissions Office of the college concerned. Persons who have not applied already may make an Available Place/Vacant Place application online upon payment of a fee of €40.Persons who have applied already (whether placed or not) may apply for an Available Place/Vacant Place course, free of charge.
    Such existing applicants may submit an online application or, if necessary, they may request the appropriate paper documentation from CAO.Applicants for Available Places/Vacant Places must meet the normal minimum entry requirements for the course(s) in question.

Vacant places usually start to be advertised in late Summer and are open all they way through to late Autumn. The drawback is that you don't have much choice in courses as essentially these are courses that didn't attract many applicants initially.

Its not too late to apply for a FETAC PLC course. Many centres are accepting applications although these will be closing shortly. Have a look at http://www.qualifax.ie for info on course options.
    If you want to attend third level and don't have the LC points or the Mature Student qualifications or experience required the PLC route can make prepare you for progression onto a college course.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

It's been a while since I posted in here.

I'll be sitting my final undergraduate exam on Monday. No idea where the time went! The three years have flown by. I'll have to be a grown-up now :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭Sar_Bear

Hey everyone :)

First time poster here but it looks like an interesting place :)

Not a mature student, but I think I'd be classed as non trad.. I'm studying part time to be an EMT :) (and that's probably the most interesting thing about me :o )

Anyways.. That's me :o

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

Best of luck to those who are getting their results tomorrow. I'll be getting my final results :eek: Feels like the Leaving Cert all over again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Heart Break Kid

dt341 marketing in september, looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 shaz30

starting nursing studies plc as mature student. looking forward to getting going on it although i am getting nervous about going back to school:(
    i did my leaving certificate in 2000 so its been a while!

anyone else starting in sept?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Jwacqui

Starting college next Monday! Doing secondary school teaching religion and history!
    Got my grant provisionally approved today so that's some relief! Looking forward to getting stuck in! Excited but nervous aswell!
    Did my leaving cert 6years ago! Feels like forever!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭Fatboydim

Two days into my course... All good so far.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7 shaz30

i have my first day of classes tomorrow and i am really looking forward to it now. i went to the school for my welcome and orientation..felt so outa place at first walking around all the first year students! i found mmy class and they seem great ..variety of ages in the class which is great!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭cars701

SuperTyper wrote: »
    I am BRICKING it, starting hairdressing course in September in Crumlin after nearly 19 years in law/IT. Can't believe I'm going back and to do hairdressing too (summit I wanted to do when I was "young" LOL but wasn't allowed). Am excited but at the same time thinking "Am I out of my tiny mind":D

Hey SuperTyper; just reading this post; am in a job for a long long long time and like you always wanted to do hairdressing but wasn't allowed ! I know I will always regret it....... can you tell me how you got on ? Would be really interested to know. Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 chicamom

Hi there. Can anyone tell me if Home-educated (ie didn't attend school )counts as "non-traditional"? Anyone else on here gone to college via this route?

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Barnet

Returning to Education

Forty three years ago at the age of 15 years old I left school. I enjoyed school and worked hard, however, I sat neither Junior or Leaving Certificate examinations.

Four years ago I returned to education as a VERY Mature Student. I started with FETAC Level 3 and was successful in all Modules. The following year I moved up to Level 4 and much to my surprise I gained Distinctions in all the Modules I undertook. I worked hard but found it challenging and at times difficult, but I was determined not to let it get the better of me!

I went on to successfully complete Level 5 in Business Studies and Level 6 in Advanced Business Administration, once again with Distinctions.

Tomorrow, I take the biggest step of all, the first day of my degree course. I'm 58 years old, nervous as hell and starting to have doubts. I ask myself ..... at my age, is this one step too far? Has anyone here taken such a step in their later years? Any advice would be gratefully received.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭plannerscanner

Fair play Barnet - just back myself this year after a 15 year gap. It's already the most satisfying decision I ever made. Hope you are getting on well. I gotta get back to an essay I have been avoiding for a while now - the joys of it :)

• Advertisement

Final year. The end is in sight! :)

Advertisement