Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hey Maturies/Non-Trads, how's it going?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 ronnie25

yeah im going back myself
    here are there fees for mature students
    cause i read that if you havnt been in college in the past 5 years
    then your grand as far as fees go
    you still have to pay registration and things like that
    but no fees
    does anyone know for sure what the story is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 MRSDR01

I was offered a place in UL and another one in Waterford (WIT). I would love to study in UL but my husband couldnt get a transfer from his job to move down with me. I live in Kilkenny and there's no transportation to Limerick. I have to pay the offer fee and send the receipt to Ul till Tuesday.
    One of the options is that I could rent a room in Limerick and whenever my husband gets an opportunity in Limerick, he could move with me but there's no jobs anywhere..and that could take years.

I am thinking about going to waterford instead but the course is psychology, I havent heard much about it and i feel really confused and upset. :confused:
    I would have to choose between a Bsc in Psychology in Limerick and a BA in Psychology with Arts in the WIT.

Any matures here that are stressed about leaving home? Any advice?

I am really lost and everyone is telling me to pick Waterford instead because it is closer to Kilkenny but UL seems to be a great opportunity since there was just two places in psychology offered for mature students.:(

I would appreciate all the comments and some good advice. Thanks guys.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 man mountain

MRSDR01 wrote: »
    I was offered a place in UL and another one in Waterford (WIT). I would love to study in UL but my husband couldnt get a transfer from his job to move down with me. I live in Kilkenny and there's no transportation to Limerick. I have to pay the offer fee and send the receipt to Ul till Tuesday.
    One of the options is that I could rent a room in Limerick and whenever my husband gets an opportunity in Limerick, he could move with me but there's no jobs anywhere..and that could take years.

I am thinking about going to waterford instead but the course is psychology, I havent heard much about it and i feel really confused and upset. :confused:
    I would have to choose between a Bsc in Psychology in Limerick and a BA in Psychology with Arts in the WIT.

Any matures here that are stressed about leaving home? Any advice?

I am really lost and everyone is telling me to pick Waterford instead because it is closer to Kilkenny but UL seems to be a great opportunity since there was just two places in psychology offered for mature students.:(

I would appreciate all the comments and some good advice. Thanks guys.:(

I'm not going to be much use but go with your gut feeling. I was made redundant last year and went and done a Fetac 5 Forensic Science course after banking for the last 16 years, really enjoyed it so applied to DCU and UCD to do science and got accepted to both so after weighing up the pro's and con's im going to UCD.

But my major problem is I have a boy 14 and girl 9 who are both sport mad every evening im on the road. I will have to drive up and down every day to UCD from Cavan it will take 1hr and 40mins and 6 toll bridges (round trip) as my 9 year old doesn't want to move, so my son asked if he could go to boarding school (his dad died in tragic accident 3 years ago) so I have got him a place in Dublin but i will miss seeing him every evening.

Can you drive to Limerick from Kilkenny? There is not much point in going to Waterford if you don't think the course is what you want as there is no point wasting 4 years doing it and realising you wished you had gone to Limerick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 MRSDR01

Thank you for your advice. Life is for the brave. Sometimes it is hard to know when we can take chances. Unfortunately, I don't drive which does not help much.
    I am considering to accept Waterford's offer, study hard and hopefully I am going to have another opportunity once I finish my degree.
    I wish you all the best in UCD and I know you are a truly role model for children. I believe they are very proud of their mommy for being strong and pursuing her dream and not causing them to give up on what they love most.:)

If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere. ~Frank A. Clark

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭JCDUB

EricC wrote: »
    Hi JCDUB,

So glad I've found somebody doing the course I'm planning on doing next year.

Do you mind if I ask do you have to pay fees? as I believe I will have to as I have already completed a level 8 course.

Is there any financial assistance for somebody like myself.

Also was it difficult to get in? I have to repeat the Irish leaving next summer.

Looking forward to your reply
    Tulip11 wrote: »
    Hi EricC,

I got offered a place on the B.Ed in St. Pats too......in the thick of trying to sort out finances now....stress!!! I'm applying for the grant, although reckon it's a total long-shot.....my worry is the fees!! Have been saving but not enough to pay fees and support myself and a mortgage!!

Was totally hyper about receiving the offer and branching off into something totally different, that I just didn't get the points for first time around (about 16 years ago!!) but now the harsh reality of general survival has kicked in and I'm wondering if I'll be able to manage.

Feel a bit better having read this thread as we all appear to be in the same boat and doing our best to stay positive.

Is there anyone out there who's done the B.Ed in Pats as a Maturie......what are the hours/workload like in 1st year....is it feasible to work part-time (W/ends and odd evening during the week...if I can get a part-time job that is!!)

Thanks,
    Tulip11

Hey Eric and Tulip,

First of all, congratulations Tulip!! Well done on getting into the B. Ed, you'll love it. It's a great course in a great college with really nice people. And good choice Eric, you won't be sorry.
    Secondly, sorry for not getting back to you earlier, I've been on hiatus from t'internet and boards.
    To answer your question Eric, it's not hard to get in provided you have done the preparatory work and are genuinely interested in teaching. I had voluntary work with kids under my belt and observation in a school along with some sub teaching, and was well prepared for my interview. If you do the ground work, you should be fine.
    Also, AFAIK, as you have done a Level 8 course previously, you will have to pay fees to do the B Ed. However you can apply to do the postgrad too, which is shorter and less expensive.
    I'm not sure if there is any financial assistance available to you, as I don't know your circumstances, but I'd recommend you talk to citizen's information, they're very knowledgeable as regards entitlements.

Tulip,
    I know the fees are a stress, but you'll manage somehow. 1st year is fairly intense but you'll have no trouble doing a part time job if you manage your time well. You'll have a half day on Friday which helps with weekend work, but mid week I was in most days until 4 at the earliest, sometimes 5 and 6.
    As I said, talk to citizens advice to see what you're entitled to when it comes to grants etc.

Hope this helps somewhat. Ask me anything else you like and I'll try to help! Congrats again, and I'll see you in October Tulip!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭rocco.

Just accepted to the course I wanted .. Have applied for the grant but incase I do not get it, will the Student Service Charge (Non-Tuition Fee) have to be paid right away at the start of september????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Tulip11

Hi JCDub,

Thanks for that, I've a few questions so I'll PM if you if that's ok :)

Thanks,
    Tulip11

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭DailyBlaa

In my final year now. It was the best decision I ever made. I left a well paying job to go do something I loved. Being a mature student wasn't to difficult. Once you get into the swing of things after the first few weeks you settle right in.

Reading all the comments here I can understand peoples trepidation about a return to education. The first morning is a bit daunting but soon enough you will feel right at home. I hope all the incoming students have a great time and remember it isn't all study join societies and clubs you never know what mischief you can get up to :)

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Reeni

Hey guys, I'm 27 and starting in UCD Vet Nursing in September. I've been applying for this every year since I was 20 and working towards it. I think that I got so used to the 'routine' of applying and being rejected and making a new plan to try again that I forgot to think about what would happen if I got it! I'm getting very nervous now, about studying whether I'll be any good at it and about meeting a lot of new people. But its a good nervous too!

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭ithread

That is brilliant Reeni, you got accepted this year! I take my hat off to you and you absolutely deserve this - grab it with both hands!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

Reeni wrote: »
    Hey guys, I'm 27 and starting in UCD Vet Nursing in September. I've been applying for this every year since I was 20 and working towards it. I think that I got so used to the 'routine' of applying and being rejected and making a new plan to try again that I forgot to think about what would happen if I got it! I'm getting very nervous now, about studying whether I'll be any good at it and about meeting a lot of new people. But its a good nervous too!

Congrats on finally getting your place!

I know nothing about the course, but if it's something you're interested in, the studying isn't so much of a big deal. Veterinary nursing sounds like one of those courses/careers that the extra few years of life experience and maturity will really stand to you.

Good luck! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭IPushButtons

Hey guys, I'm 27 and starting in UCD Vet Nursing in September. I've been applying for this every year since I was 20 and working towards it.

I dont understand the circumstances, how did it take you seven years to get this course ?
    I'm getting very nervous now, about studying whether I'll be any good at it and about meeting a lot of new people. But its a good nervous too!

It's all about motivation if you've got it you'll do fine, attend all classes, review your notes everyday, start working towards big assessments/projects early and if you start to fall behind or don't understand ask someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Reeni

I dont understand the circumstances, how did it take you seven years to get this course ?

Well it was a couple of things. In the beginning I was applying for the diploma since the degree couse wasn't available yet. There were I think 10 places for mature students. They then brought the degree course in which has 5 places for mature students with a very high number of applicants. One of the reasons os was SO high was because legislation was brought in that meant that practicing nurses with no qualifications would be unable to practice surgery. I believe there was a five year grace period (correct me if I'm wrong) so that practicing nurses could could go to college and receive their qualifications. So mature applicants were competing for places with nurses with years of experience in some cases. I guess I couldn't compete until this year! (every year I built up more practical experience and got more references)

Thanks for the encouragement guys, its really great to come to this forum and see other maturies and know there are plenty like you :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Hunchback

have people been invited by email to the 'return to learning' seminar for 2011/2012?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

have people been invited by email to the 'return to learning' seminar for 2011/2012?

Which college?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Hunchback

NUIG. I am going to ring now, i just was wondering if anybody could fill me in to satiate my curiosity last night ;) cheers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭isabell

Hi all
    I think thats the best place where I can ask about my case:)
    Im 26 years old and I did FETAC level 6 last year. I applied for the 2nd year in IT through advanced entry (dealing directly with the IT not through CAO). I send myFETAC results last thursday.... does anyone know when I should get any answer from them iabout getting a place...???

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Marvel80

NUIG. I am going to ring now, i just was wondering if anybody could fill me in to satiate my curiosity last night ;) cheers :)

I got nothing just emailed them and got a reply with the link to register for that programme, its on the 29th 30th 31st and 1st.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

Wish college would hurry up and start. I am bored out of my tree at the moment!

Moved your post here Will. Think this is where you meant it to be. :D

Enjoy the freedom!! Seriously. Nursing is really full on!!

Starting placement on Monday. Both nervous and excited. I finished college in May so I'm trying to go back over things as I've forgot a lot. Lots of pre-placement information I got to read up on too! Hard to know what standard is expected of me. :confused:

• Advertisement

Oh man, where did i put it originally? How long is your placement for? Should be a laugh and err a learning experience :) I'm in crumlin in January. Looking forward to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

O man I'm pissed off I have to find 600 euros for college for last years tuition fees and I dont have it which means I cant get into second year because of money....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 ~Becktron

Will wrote: »
    Wish college would hurry up and start. I am bored out of my tree at the moment!

I agree, seriously, summer has flown by, which is good, but the next two weeks are takin there time.. I just want to get the induction day over, hopefully no crazy embarressing intro games, and just get settled in..

So excited! But freakin out too! O_o

What college you going to? I'm hitting up UCD

• Registered Users Posts: 12 tansed

Reading back over this thread, which im glad I did becasue I got my first choice of Social Care in IT Blanchardstown and im 32 returning to college.

Last year I colpleted A level 5 which was great experiance and surprised how well I did. But now its a whole new ball game :-) The nerves have kicked in and the usual will I be able, and up to the right standard etc and dont mention presentations becasue the word even scares me at this stage ha.

I would really love this as its been a dream of mine to get a degree as with most also its a huge personal achievement. anyway Im glad I found here and I wish you all well in September!!! isnt it great to knwo we aint on our own :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 ~Becktron

Will wrote: »
    What college you going to? I'm hitting up UCD

Ballsbridge CFE.

Last day of placement tomorrow, then back to college Monday. Can't wait!

Learnt lots on placement. Know so much more now. And I know my strengths and weaknesses. Early early morning starts are seriously not for me!!

Hope all the freshers got on well starting in the past few weeks. Get stuck into it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

my timetable = ARGH! need to be in half hour before kitchen classes soooo....

8am to 4pm mon, 10am to 8pm tue, 12pm to 9pm wed and 9am to lunch (cos i ain't doing restaurant service til next semester) thurs!

hdowney wrote: »
    my timetable = ARGH! need to be in half hour before kitchen classes soooo....

8am to 4pm mon, 10am to 8pm tue, 12pm to 9pm wed and 9am to lunch (cos i ain't doing restaurant service til next semester) thurs!

Woah! That's pretty packed but least you have Fridays off! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

Larianne wrote: »
    Woah! That's pretty packed but least you have Fridays off! :)

eeem only at the moment. i shall be on work experience by october!

Advertisement