Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hey Maturies/Non-Trads, how's it going?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Larianne wrote: »
    Final year. The end is in sight! :)

Gosh. It seems no length since you started! Congrats. Hope it goes well for you.
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Final Year Project handed in Friday.

Exams finished 2nd May! Finished college FOREVER :D

Until you decide to do a post-grad....:D:D

Well done L. Best of luck with the exams.

A degree?? Don't mind if I do! Thanks! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

A degree?? Don't mind if I do! Thanks! :D

Well done Larianne! I'm delighted for you :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 LaLacuna

Hi! will now be looking to move to dublin before september but having looked at daft etc. i'm thinking it might be a better option to try and find other people in a similar position first and Then look for a suitable property...what do ye think? i'm new to boards but can't seem to find any forum/threads along these lines, i would've thought that there would be something like that up already,and for some reason don't seem to have the option of starting a new thread myself. suggestions welcome!

LaLacuna wrote: »
    Hi! will now be looking to move to dublin before september but having looked at daft etc. i'm thinking it might be a better option to try and find other people in a similar position first and Then look for a suitable property...what do ye think? i'm new to boards but can't seem to find any forum/threads along these lines, i would've thought that there would be something like that up already,and for some reason don't seem to have the option of starting a new thread myself. suggestions welcome!

Hey I might know a few guys in their late twenties early thirties looking to move if that suits?

thanks steddyeddy, that'd be cool. i'm planning on taking my time for the moment, do the groundwork now and think about moving maybe in july and it'd be great if that suits them. do you know how to start a thread? think it would be good for others in a similar position to be able to meet each other here, get to know each other.

thanks steddyeddy, that'd be cool. i'm planning on taking my time for the moment, do the groundwork now and think about moving maybe in july and it'd be great if that suits them. do you know how to start a thread? think it would be good for others in a similar position to be able to meet each other here, get to know each other.

Hey LaLacuna will do but I'm not even sure if they're on boards! I can start a thread though about accommodation and take it from there.

You could contact both the mature student office and student union of the college you'll be attending. They might be able to put you in touch with others or know of options available to you, i.e. student accommodation mature students tend to live in or possibly the post-graduate office as those students tend to be older.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 MintyBear

I'm in the same situation as yourself. Starting Actuarial Science at DCU in September and will be moving down from Belfast. Where will you be studying? I've been chatting to Nordie Durdle too as he's in the same boat.

Hi MintyBear, congratulations on getting your place : ) i'll be starting in TCD in sept. (coming from Cork) i've been talking to playsation4 on here too,it's a great way to meet other househunters! i'm still trying to figure out how to start a new thread for all of us to meet each other, maybe we can post there what we are looking for, budgets, location ,e.t.a.'s and compatibility searches etc? and hopefully find good matches amongst ourselves?
    in the meantime i'll p.m. you and we can have a chat?

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭computer44

I so happy, got second level teaching Mater Dei, my number 1 choice. Very small mature quota less than 10%. All those 17-18 yr olds, probably old enough to be their Mum. :o

Graduated! \0/

All the best everyone. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭bri007

Well done Larianne, Congrats :):D and thanks again for all the great info you put up on applications to colleges etc
    Graduated! \0/

Well done Larianne. Congratulations. Hopefully you have something nice lined up for yourself now. :D

congratulations Larianne, can't wait for the day i get to say that too! : )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

Hey, does anyone know when the CAO applications are open again, or are they open already? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20 stevewales0

loubian wrote: »
    Hey, does anyone know when the CAO applications are open again, or are they open already? :)

did you try www.cao.ie

did you try www.cao.ie

Yes I did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 stevewales0

Hi,
    Didnt me to be so facetious - but it is sometimes as simple as that.

Ring your Mature Student Officer -- They knows Everything -- esp if its Cork UCC
    Mary O'Sullivan is MOST helpful

I think its October the CAO opens again,could be wrong now, but afaik it was October last year I applied

Hi,
    Didnt me to be so facetious - but it is sometimes as simple as that.

Ring your Mature Student Officer -- They knows Everything -- esp if its Cork UCC
    Mary O'Sullivan is MOST helpful

I looked on the website and it didn't say anything about entry for 2014 so I wondered if maybe they weren't out yet. So I thought I'd ask here to see if anyone knew.

Thanks! I'll give them a ring tomorrow.

I looked on the website and it didn't say anything about entry for 2014 so I wondered if maybe they weren't out yet. So I thought I'd ask here to see if anyone knew.

Thanks! I'll give them a ring tomorrow.

Its November for CAO application for 2014

https://www.cao.ie/apply.php

bri007 wrote: »
    Its November for CAO application for 2014

https://www.cao.ie/apply.php

Thanks!

Thanks!

No problem, best of luck in your application :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 lizziel

Hi there,

I am a 47 wife and mother and thinking about doing a 4 yr degree course next year in speech & language therapy.

The decision ...Assuming I get a place I kind of think that at my age I won't be too nervous at the prospect of college as I have too much at stake (I know we all do) but I am worried that I will be graduating at 52 which just seems embarassing almost! On the other hand my age and experience may be an advantage in some respects.

Obviously with the financial investment (hardship!) and impact on my family I want to be as sure as I can be that I will get a job etc.

If anyone has any advice I would really appreciate it, thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

Hi Lizzie,
    I'm not in CSLS, but I'm in one of the therapies as well. While I'm not a mature student, I can tell you we have a couple of students around the same age in our course who really feel going back to do what they want was the best decision they've made.

The financial factor is a big one, especially now that it is a lot more competitive on the jobs front. However in 4/5 years that could all change. It's already improved since I started my course so things are already looking up!

Also while you may find the transition back to college a bit difficult, you do sort of have some respite in health science courses where a massive chunk of the course is placement in the hospital, where you are essentially working, so there is a good mix of lecture time as well as work in the hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 lizziel

Hi Anita,

Thanks for that. Am I posting this in wrong place.............what forum do I need to visit??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Laydee

Graduated! \0/

Congratulations Larianne!! You've been a world of knowledge to many people, including myself. Thank you. All the best :)

Advertisement