Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meath GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,398 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Hibbeler wrote: »
    Very interesting, anyones guess as to who might win either championship now! I wouldn't want to even try and guess at this stage. Would like to see the neighbours rathkenny and castletown do well though
    Rathkenny did well today and probably should have won in normal time but lost concentration in the last minute to concede the equalising goal. Equally impressive given that it was without Brian Meade. John Donegan did well in midfield though and could be worth a try in the O'Byrne Cup.
    I'd say the winners of Tones - Na Fianna will do it. Could be a great game if the conditions are good. Both teams have fantastic forward lines. But it really is impossible to call.
    In the Intermediate, I can't see Gaeil Colmcille being beaten. They were pretty impressive against (albeit an understrength) Ratoath today.

Looking like it'll be a Kilmainham - Drumbaragh final in the junior final barring any shocks in the semis.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

I'm hearing a lot of complaints about the standard of refereeing from Senchalstown. Joe Sheridan took to Twitter about it. Anyone know what happened?

Didn't stay for extra time as I had already sat through two freezing cold matches but I didn't think Curley particularly favoured Rathkenny in normal time anyway. He did make a few strange decisions alright but nothing out of the ordinary for referees in Meath.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Hibbeler

Rathkenny did well today and probably should have won in normal time but lost concentration in the last minute to concede the equalising goal. Equally impressive given that it was without Brian Meade. John Donegan did well in midfield though and could be worth a try in the O'Byrne Cup.
    I'd say the winners of Tones - Na Fianna will do it. Could be a great game if the conditions are good. Both teams have fantastic forward lines. But it really is impossible to call.
    In the Intermediate, I can't see Gaeil Colmcille being beaten. They were pretty impressive against (albeit an understrength) Ratoath today.

Looking like it'll be a Kilmainham - Drumbaragh final in the junior final barring any shocks in the semis.

so you're predicting kells and environs to be v happy this year, wins in IFC & JFC :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

I'd expect Kilmainham to win the junior. I know Drumbaragh recently beat them in the Tailteann Cup (I think that's what you call it) final but Kilmainham are the better team from watching both IMO. From a few people I spoke to if Kilmaimham had not lost their midfielder and had to move Newman to midfield they would have won.

I'm surprised that you think Kells won't be beaten in the intermediate. I've never seen them as that good a team. Have they even any county players? I can't think of any. Carry Lynch was around the panel a couple of years ago but I think that was as sub goalie.

If they did go up, I'd expect them to be back down to intermediate quick enough.

• Advertisement

Lemlin wrote: »
    I'd expect Kilmainham to win the junior. I know Drumbaragh recently beat them in the Tailteann Cup (I think that's what you call it) final but Kilmainham are the better team from watching both IMO. From a few people I spoke to if Kilmaimham had not lost their midfielder and had to move Newman to midfield they would have won.

I'm surprised that you think Kells won't be beaten in the intermediate. I've never seen them as that good a team. Have they even any county players? I can't think of any. Carry Lynch was around the panel a couple of years ago but I think that was as sub goalie.

If they did go up, I'd expect them to be back down to intermediate quick enough.

Though to be fair to kells, the other three teams left in the IFC (St Michaels, Castletown and Clan na nGael) don't have any county players either as far as i can remember (someone will correct me if I'm wrong no doubt), Shane McAnarney being the most recent (was he on the panel at all this year?). I've seen both CnG and St. Michaels play and didnt think they were overly spectacular either, then again what I've seen the standard overall is relatively poor and I reckon all teams left are of a similar level. All four will think they can win it.

Don't know if that tells you more about the county team or the club scene at intermediate level but there you go...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭rpurfield

the one thing that really confuses the hell out of me is how the cilles keep coming up short in the IFC year after year. they have some good players and for the last god knows how long theyve been churning out some good underage teams too. id love to have them up senior to be honest!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

rpurfield wrote: »
    the one thing that really confuses the hell out of me is how the cilles keep coming up short in the IFC year after year. they have some good players and for the last god knows how long theyve been churning out some good underage teams too. id love to have them up senior to be honest!!

Kicked a lot of wides and passed often to keeper v Trim

Longwood conceeded the last group game

Mentally switched off on Saturday after going three up v St Michaels and then kicked a wide with the last shot of the game to draw level. I think a bit of experience was lacking this year. Still to be considered progress, first QF since 2006.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭paul71

Though to be fair to kells, the other three teams left in the IFC (St Michaels, Castletown and Clan na nGael) don't have any county players either as far as i can remember (someone will correct me if I'm wrong no doubt), Shane McAnarney being the most recent (was he on the panel at all this year?). I've seen both CnG and St. Michaels play and didnt think they were overly spectacular either, then again what I've seen the standard overall is relatively poor and I reckon all teams left are of a similar level. All four will think they can win it.

Don't know if that tells you more about the county team or the club scene at intermediate level but there you go...

Clan na nGeal are Kells?

Did someone move Athboy to Kells?

so you're predicting kells and environs to be v happy this year, wins in IFC & JFC :D
    Two best teams in junior by far are Kilmainham and Drumbaragh. I know both are kept apart in the semis but not sure who's playing Cortown or Dunboyne. Cortown could possibly spring a surprise alright but I'd bet on both of them going up to Intermediate.

As Hibbeler said, none of the remaining teams in the IFC have county players. Indeed, the only intercounty player on show in the IFC last weekend was Graham Reilly as Eamonn Wallace was suspended.
    Ratoath played Castletown in the first round of the Intermediate and won by 4 or 5 after kicking a massive amount of wides. Also won fairly easily against CnaG in the league. Haven't seen Michael's this year but I'd say Kells would be favourites against them.
    I don't think Kells would, on paper, be the best team in the Intermediate. With a bit more luck on Sunday (and a bit less wind), we should have beaten them. But I think they're the best left now.

• Advertisement

paul71 wrote: »
    Clan na nGeal are Kells?

Did someone move Athboy to Kells?

Sorry I was replying to what Lemlin said about Gaeil Colmcille (who of course are from kells) having no county players and contrasting that with the other intermediate semi finalists. Clan na nGael being the only one of them to have a county player that I can think of in recent times (obviously not counting players who might have got a run in O'Byrne cups and the league etc.)
    As Hibbeler said, none of the remaining teams in the IFC have county players. Indeed, the only intercounty player on show in the IFC last weekend was Graham Reilly as Eamonn Wallace was suspended.
    Ratoath played Castletown in the first round of the Intermediate and won by 4 or 5 after kicking a massive amount of wides. Also won fairly easily against CnaG in the league. Haven't seen Michael's this year but I'd say Kells would be favourites against them.
    I don't think Kells would, on paper, be the best team in the Intermediate. With a bit more luck on Sunday (and a bit less wind), we should have beaten them. But I think they're the best left now.

I wouldn't put my money on any left in IFC to be honest, they will all think they can do it especially with st. colmcilles and ratoath both out. I think the winner of the gaeil colmcille v castletown semi final will win outright though.

As for the senior, Rathkenny have not won it in over a century and I don't think Na Fianna have ever won it so I would like to see one of them win it. Both the Tones and Summerhill have won recently and with the main favourites out of the competition it makes things somewhat more interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Inventive User Name

Any updates on when the Under 21 championships are starting?

According to Fergal Lynch on Twitter Joe Sheridan, Brian Farrell, Peadar Byrne, Caoimhin King, Ciaran Lenehan and Brian Dillon all gone from Meath panel

Any updates on when the Under 21 championships are starting?
    As far as I remember, last year's draw was made in early October with the first games in the last week of October.
    iDave wrote: »
    According to Fergal Lynch on Twitter Joe Sheridan, Brian Farrell, Peadar Byrne, Caoimhin King, Ciaran Lenehan and Brian Dillon all gone from Meath panel
    Think the time was right for Farrell and Joe to go. Neither looked up to it this season. Same with Caoimhín. Think Peadar could still have had an impact off the bench though agree he shouldn't start.
    I was actually impressed with Lenehan last season as an attacking force (less so in defence). He scored a good few throughout the league and championship from half back and always thought he could be tried at half forward.
    Brian Dillon getting the axe seems strange given he was captain of the U21s this season. Could be that he couldn't give the commitment required though.

Anybody know if there are any new faces on the panel then or who we might expect to see brought in?

I think it was definitely time for the likes of Farrell, King, Byrne and Sheridan to be moved on though it must be said that they served their county faithfully over the years and most meath fans would be grateful for their service.

As far as I remember, last year's draw was made in early October with the first games in the last week of October.

Think the time was right for Farrell and Joe to go. Neither looked up to it this season. Same with Caoimhín. Think Peadar could still have had an impact off the bench though agree he shouldn't start.
    I was actually impressed with Lenehan last season as an attacking force (less so in defence). He scored a good few throughout the league and championship from half back and always thought he could be tried at half forward.
    Brian Dillon getting the axe seems strange given he was captain of the U21s this season. Could be that he couldn't give the commitment required though.

Was it Lenehan came on against Dublin? Number 17 was he? I thought he was terrible.

I think the time was certainly right for Farrell and Joe. Surprised by Byrne.

Who have Meath coming through to replace these lads though? I already said here months ago I thought they had poor strength in depth this year.

Was it Lenehan came on against Dublin? Number 17 was he? I thought he was terrible.

I think the time was certainly right for Farrell and Joe. Surprised by Byrne.

Who have Meath coming through to replace these lads though? I already said here months ago I thought they had poor strength in depth this year.
    Possibly was. I think he's poor defensively but in attack I think he'd be a good option.

Good few young attackers coming through. I'd say Bobby O'Brien will get a call up. He's arguably been more important to Ratoath this year than Eamonn Wallace. I'd expect Jamie Queeney to get called back if he can give the commitment. His brother Daniel would be a good shout too.

I'd echo Hibbeler's thanks for the lads that have been dropped. Each of them gave their all for us.

Possibly was. I think he's poor defensively but in attack I think he'd be a good option.

Good few young attackers coming through. I'd say Bobby O'Brien will get a call up. He's arguably been more important to Ratoath this year than Eamonn Wallace. I'd expect Jamie Queeney to get called back if he can give the commitment. His brother Daniel would be a good shout too.

I'd echo Hibbeler's thanks for the lads that have been dropped. Each of them gave their all for us.

Queeney was always good for a few points off the bench. Is he not fairly old though?

Queeney was always good for a few points off the bench. Is he not fairly old though?
    Yeah sorry I didn't mean to put Jamie in the 'young' bracket. Think he was hard done by being dropped this season.

Was such a shame there were no TV cameras in Mullingar in 2009 when Big Joe fired that bullet of a point, could of gone in for a goal. We also have to thank him for his well taken goal in the last minute of the Leinster final.

• Advertisement

Was such a shame there were no TV cameras in Mullingar in 2009 when Big Joe fired that bullet of a point, could of gone in for a goal. We also have to thank him for his well taken goal in the last minute of the Leinster final.

yes spot on thats one that will stay with me for life now i was behind that goal and all.fair play to the lads theyve given us some good days and memories but the time is right for them to move on.

forgot to ask earlier is the fitzsimons cup on this winter??

Dunno about the Fitzsimons Cup. Presume it is but probably won't hear anything til next month if it is.

So it's Na Fianna v Summerhill in the Senior Final, Gaeil Colmcille v Clann na nGael in the Intermediate Final and Kilmainham v Drumbaragh in the Junior Final. Looking forward to the senior final. Na Fianna look awesome in the forward line with the Queeneys and Barrett scoring freely.
    Can't see Kells losing the Intermediate final. Kilmainham should gain revenge for the Tailteann Cup final loss so long as Newman stays fit.

Some day for the parish of Kells in two weeks. Drumbaragh, Kilmainham and Gaeil Colmcille all in finals.

Was at the Drumbaragh and Gaeil Colmcille games today. The junior game was poor enough fare I thought. Drumbaragh were good for their win though. The Cortown number 13 was the best player on the pitch.

In the intermediate, I thought the Castletown lad was unlucky to be sent off. I think he made a mistake rather than doing it maliciously. He did clothesline the Kells player though so the ref nearly had no choice.

Kells should have had them put away in the first half. I lost count of how many times they hit the posts or crossbar. They were lucky at the end then as they seemed to tire. For example, they ended the game with all three half forwards off the pitch. Very unusual I thought to take off a full row of positions like that.

The number 13 for Kells Mattimoe was good. Won a lot of ball around the middle even though he was a forward. Number 11 was decent too. He seemed to draw a lot of fouls, including the sending off.

You would certainly notice the difference between the two grades having seen both in the one day.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 AndyPipkin

Just looking at the highlights of the Tyrone game. Final few minutes was similar to Dublin/Mayo final with the cynical fouling etc. Fast forward to 6.10 in the video here and it's 72 minutes and 7 seconds on the clock. Why didn't he pop it over the bar to put only a point between the sides? there were 3 added on minutes so there was almost a full minute to get an equalizer and send the game to extra time. Instead he tries to work a goal. Was this the wrong option at the time?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 AndyPipkin

Anyone have any opinions?

Possibly could have gone for the point but by the time the ball went over and the keeper took the kickout, chances are the referee would have blown for full time anyway. Think they had to try work a goal.

I see Oldcastle beat Dunshaughlin to send Nobber down to the Intermediate.I think they'll be an improvement on either Kells or Athboy.

Possibly could have gone for the point but by the time the ball went over and the keeper took the kickout, chances are the referee would have blown for full time anyway. Think they had to try work a goal.

I see Oldcastle beat Dunshaughlin to send Nobber down to the Intermediate.I think they'll be an improvement on either Kells or Athboy.

Didn't Nobber just get promoted a few years ago? I remember thinking they were quite weak at the time to be going to senior. I think it was the same year that they were in Celebrity Bainisteoir.

Quick question for ya, I heard that both Drumbaragh and Kilmainham are going up to intermediate as two teams are going up this year and they both made the final. Why is it that 2 teams are going up to intermediate instead of one?

Think Nobber got promoted two or three seasons ago.

The reason for two promoted sides last season and this is that they want 18 teams in intermediate (3 groups of 6). Think it reverts to the Junior winners only getting promoted next season. Also I think there is relegation from the Intermediate again next season.

• Advertisement

id love to see nafianna win the senior, i think they really have the momentum with them this year, its amazing how some teams can draw confidence from winning a lower graded championship and do well in their first season at the higher grade.

Advertisement