Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Pandiani

Thanks for that, its definitely going to be more competitive, in the medium term its going to generate better hurlers for the county no doubt. Whats the story 5 group games with 2 from each group going into semi finals?

Top 3 I heard so presume top straight to semi and 2 quarters as well. Bottome team in each group relegated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

dzilla wrote: »
    Great servent. A shame how he embarrassed himself at the end of the semi final this year with his act of petulance.

And you called me a troll on the Waterford thread before.:rolleyes: To be fair at least that Limerick team that Niall played played on gave a decent account of themselves when they got to an all ireland final.:D

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

I agree it was a shame how John's actions that day portrayed himself. But he done enough in the next 8 seasons for me to remember him for other things on the field.

With regards the incident I was talking about, it was when he came on and wanted to fight all the opposition. Pity that he hadn't managed to discipline himself in his distinguished career up to then.

At least he showed a bit of fight when he came on.I suppose yere all angels in Waterford.:D btw Who are you to give patronising and condescending lectures about hurling conduct!Why don't you speak to Niall personally about your issues with him.Oh and have some more respect for Irelands fourth most successful hurling county after the big three and stop with the mocking and patronising posts.The second greatest hurler of all time (some say he was the greatest hurler of all time) came from Limerick.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭relaxed

Pandiani wrote: »
    Top 3 I heard so presume top straight to semi and 2 quarters as well. Bottome team in each group relegated.

That's a lot of games to squeeze into the second half of September and October.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭dzilla

Oh and have some more respect for Irelands fourth most successful hurling county

I'm still laughing at that. I don't doubt they are the 4th best and fair play to Limerick for being the 4th best. I just think a statement where someone is talking about someone being 4th best as opposed to the 10th since records began is like 2 bald me fighting over a comb, I don't think I'll lose any sleep over it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭dzilla

I suppose yere all angels in Waterford

Well I suppose theres a reason why we're called the gentle county

Well I suppose theres a reason why we're called the gentle county

I grew up a few yards away from the Waterford border and that's the first time i ever heard a Waterford man say that.It must be only a saying in the city and the east of the county.:) Anyway all the best to Niall Moran.He gave his all to the Limerick cause and he was always the ultimate professional with regards to his training and preparation.It's telling what he said about intercounty hurling and football not being a game for people with families and full time jobs anymore.Senior intercounty hurling and football is turning into a game where you can only give the necessary commitment if you are a student or you have an office job.

It think it's only fit and proper that i put up the final few minutes of the munster final and Niall Morans point which put the icing on the cake.I think the message being sent out to our lad's there was here's one more for the road fellas!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

It think it's only fit and proper that i put up the final few minutes of the munster final and Niall Morans point which put the icing on the cake.I think the message being sent out to our lad's there was here's one more for the road fellas!

Any player can score when your team is home and hosed ,it is when your down a score or need a vital lift is what makes you different.I would put him ,like Naughton ,in the same league ,fine if the game is footloose and francy free.
    Naughton had a moment of magic when he was unknown in 2006, never pushed on at intercounty,with the talent he had after.A game changing moment,but hardly one to make him a Cork legend.

In a real game,that you earn every yard,he went missing a lot more than he delivered.

Could be a great coach.

Any player can score when your team is home and hosed ,it is when your down a score or need a vital lift is what makes you different.I would put him ,like Naughton ,in the same league ,fine if the game is footloose and francy free.
    Naughton had a moment of magic when he was unknown in 2006, never pushed on at intercounty,with the talent he had after.A game changing moment,but hardly one to make him a Cork legend.

In a real game,that you earn every yard,he went missing a lot more than he delivered.

Could be a great coach.

He wasn't a player of Joe Deane's or John Mullane's class in terms of quality and consistency of performances.Niall Moran was still a fine player though who gave his all for the green jersey and that's all that you can ask of any man.

• Advertisement

He wasn't a player of Joe Deane's or John Mullane's class in terms of quality and consistency of performances.Niall Moran was still a fine player though who gave his all for the green jersey and that's all that you can ask of any man.
    I agree,a great servant and commitment second to known.

Lad's what ever happened to that James Butler fella?He got a goal against us down the pairc in the 2001 championship and he got another goal in Limericks win over Waterford that year.He had great pace as well and it looked like he would have a great career with Limerick but he dropped off the scene shortly afterwards.

It's not been a bad year for Limerick.The munster senior titles,munster minor titles and the munster club hurling title reside on Shannonside and Limerick are a much better team than what they showed against Clare in Croke Park this year.I think the Limerick gaa moment of the year was that july afternoon in the gaelic grounds.I mean no disrespect to rugby when i say this but as a fella said to me hurling runs through our blood in Limerick.

limerick.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭grimbergen

Lad's what ever happened to that James Butler fella?He got a goal against us down the pairc in the 2001 championship and he got another goal in Limericks win over Waterford that year.He had great pace as well and it looked like he would have a great career with Limerick but he dropped off the scene shortly afterwards.

Still playing club hurling as far as I know. Sound fella James as are his family but you may be giving his hurling too much credit, he was never really at that level notwithstanding the moments you mention above.

I see Limerick u21 are playing kerry in a hurling challenge in kilmallock sunday,for Charity.
    I would go myself but for the mcgrath cup.

First game for Ciaran Carey ,and Tom Ryan.Regardless of the opposition,I would expect a decent crowd there.Kilmallock is a lovely ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

I see Limerick u21 are playing kerry in a hurling challenge in kilmallock sunday,for Charity.
    I would go myself but for the mcgrath cup.

First game for Ciaran Carey ,and Tom Ryan.Regardless of the opposition,I would expect a decent crowd there.Kilmallock is a lovely ground.

good to see tom ryan back in some sort of management with limerick , i remember around 10 years ago when limerick had an excellent u21 team coming through tom did everything in his power to get the senior job , the county board down there did everything in there power not to give it to him , a massive mistake on the limerick county board at the time.

i remember tom telling my father about 15 or 16 years ago that ciaran carey was nearly impossible to coach in training and that you would nearly have to walk him up to the 45 to show him where to stand for his position, he seems to be doing ok sense he retired.

i am going to miss the mcgrath cup tomorow though usaly all of clare's home games would be played in west clare and slightly shorter drive to get to the veniew, often would be the case that it would draw bigger crowds then some of the league games

good to see tom ryan back in some sort of management with limerick , i remember around 10 years ago when limerick had an excellent u21 team coming through tom did everything in his power to get the senior job , the county board down there did everything in there power not to give it to him , a massive mistake on the limerick county board at the time.

i remember tom telling my father about 15 or 16 years ago that ciaran carey was nearly impossible to coach in training and that you would nearly have to walk him up to the 45 to show him where to stand for his position, he seems to be doing ok sense he retired.

i am going to miss the mcgrath cup tomorow though usaly all of clare's home games would be played in west clare and slightly shorter drive to get to the veniew, often would be the case that it would draw bigger crowds then some of the league games

We have to agree to dissagree on tom ryan.I certainly don't rate him and have said my views on him.
    I would of went,not to see tom ryan but to support the charity for that former limerick hurler.
    Hopefully they will be a good crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

We have to agree to dissagree on tom ryan.I certainly don't rate him and have said my views on him.
    I would of went,not to see tom ryan but to support the charity for that former limerick hurler.
    Hopefully they will be a good crowd.

fair enough but he is the only manager bar john allen to win anything with them in god knows how many years , i taught he should have being reinstated back then after the 21 success that time

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Local_Chap

Hi all,

I was just wondering what club would be the best to join/train with. I'm living in the Castletroy area as a student, but I'm working also so would be here at weekends aswel. I was looking at either Monaleen or Claughan. I'd like to play both hurling and football and I'm not too pushed on the standard but would prefer the higher standard. Are these two clubs mainly hurling or football based or both? Or is there another club close by that would be willing to accept an outsider?! If anyone had any contact information on who I could ring at either club that would be great also.

Local_Chap wrote: »
    Hi all,

I was just wondering what club would be the best to join/train with. I'm living in the Castletroy area as a student, but I'm working also so would be here at weekends aswel. I was looking at either Monaleen or Claughan. I'd like to play both hurling and football and I'm not too pushed on the standard but would prefer the higher standard. Are these two clubs mainly hurling or football based or both? Or is there another club close by that would be willing to accept an outsider?! If anyone had any contact information on who I could ring at either club that would be great also.
    I would say Monaleen as they play both to a high standard.They are a good club ,and would have had a fair share of representation on various inter county teams over the years ,Brian Geary the Hurler for example and the footballers got to the county final this year .

I would say the lads here would know who to contact,but if you are in the Hurlers bar and asked any one of the regulars (older folk)they would put you right ,as they would be a few there that are club members.

If none of those two work out for you,if you drive ,Murroe Boher is worth looking in to , as it is just a ten minute drive out the road,and a nice club.

Best of luck with that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Incredible scoreline today in the McGrath Cup game between UL and UCC.
    Had to look twice to make sure it wasn't a hurling result, actually it's like a scoreline from a hurling championship game in July, not a football game in early January.:p
    Anyone have any details of the game.? Any Limerick players with UL. They would surely have a few from that talented Cratloe team too.?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

UL blitzed them with 2-9 to 0-4 over the last 20 mins

UL blitzed them with 2-9 to 0-4 over the last 20 mins
    Any report lad from the game?

How did the u21 game go in kilmallock?

How did the u21 game go in kilmallock?

Limk 3-10 Kerry 3-16 :o:o

You are joking?

Oh my god ,i told ye tom ryan would be a farce.This set up was beaten before it started.

No excuses,no matter if it is ist game of the season to be beaten by kerry who are awful at home.

Take a bow tom ryan.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

Get the team by any chance?

Nope, can't find it

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

From internet trawling, various fora and twitter, I've got most of the starting team:

1. PJ Hall (Adare)
    2. Mark O'Callaghan (Knockaderry)
    3. James Carrig (Patrickswell)
    4. Mark Carmody (Patrickswell)
    5. Evan Fitzgerald (Claughaun)
    6. Diarmuid Byrnes (Patrickswell)
    7. Andrew Hannigan (St. Patrick's)
    8. Brian Finn (Bruff)
    9. Bryan Griffin (Ballybrown)
    10. Leigh Doolin (Ballybrown)
    11. David Condron (Granagh/Ballingarry)
    12. Jamie Butler (Feoghanagh/Castlemahon)
    13. Liam O'Sullivan (Knockaderry)
    15. Jack Kelliher (Patrickswell)

Still haven't found out who the full-forward was but someone on hoganstand said that he scored 2 goals, whoever he was. I think that was the team anyway, could have a few names wrong.

But looking at that, it's way too early to say whether this will be a good management team or not... I mean not only were they playing their first game of the year in absolutely woeful conditions (apparently scored well with the gale)... and Kerry's senior team would presumably know each other. That would be called a very inexperienced team...at best. I would be surprised to see more than 3 of those players start come Championship.

Not only are they missing Dan Morrissey, Barry O'Connell, David Reidy, Shane Dowling, Kevin O'Brien and Barry Lynch from last year's panel (I'd give all of them a decent chance of making an extended senior panel this year). They were also missing Shane Irwin, Diarmuid Dee, Mike Fitzgibbon, Jack Ahearne, Brendan O'Connor, Liam Ryan... not to mention some of last year's minor panel- Dave Dempsey, Richie English, Barry Nash, Andrew La Touche Cosgrave, Dean Coleman, Darragh O'Donorvan, Darragh Stapleton, Michael Casey, the two Lynches....

Huge amount of talent not involved there. Big enough Patrickswell contingent as may have been expected, 2 Ballybrown lads aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Fwiw, come summer, and if everyone is fit, I'd like to see something like:

1. PJ Hall
    2. Shane Irwin
    3. Barry O'Connell
    4. Mark Carmody
    5. Barry Lynch
    6. Ronan Lynch
    7. Richie English
    8. Dan Morrissey
    9. Shane Dowling
    10. Cian Lynch
    11. Mike Fitzbibbon
    12. David Reidy
    13. Kevin O'Brien
    14. David Dempsey
    15. Jack Ahearne

That's a very strong-looking team imo... maybe even throw Dean Coleman in there somewhere, one of the form players in the club championship.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Fwiw, come summer, and if everyone is fit, I'd like to see something like:

1. PJ Hall
    2. Shane Irwin
    3. Barry O'Connell
    4. Mark Carmody
    5. Barry Lynch
    6. Ronan Lynch
    7. Richie English
    8. Dan Morrissey
    9. Shane Dowling
    10. Cian Lynch
    11. Mike Fitzbibbon
    12. David Reidy
    13. Kevin O'Brien
    14. David Dempsey
    15. Jack Ahearne

That's a very strong-looking team imo... maybe even throw Dean Coleman in there somewhere, one of the form players in the club championship.

Wow very hard to pick that team, especially the forwards. I'd have Dowlingnin the forwards rather than midfield and probably fit Coleman in corner forward. Michael casey could come in at the back too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement