Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Exactly like riding a bike

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭upthe19th

Busy last week in work and 2 nights with a serious amount of booze.......a bad combination.

Monday 16th December

40 minute core session.

Wednesday 18th December

40 minute core session.

30 minutes turbo trainer with intervals.

Light week. Ate all around me. That ends now.

Thursday 26th December

45 minute turbo session. Very short interval set, 10 minutes high resistance and the rest was steady spinning. Immediately followed by 3 mile run @ 8:38mpm pace

Saturday 28th December
    Club cycle. Great to be out.

Distance: 85.2km
    Av speed: 25.8km/hr
    Elevation Gain: 584m

Sunday 29th December

5 mile run @ 7:58mpm pace

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

upthe19th wrote: »
    5 mile run @ 7:58mpm pace

You're a cyclist now. Will you ever use metric for the love of the baby Jebus? :)

The last couple of bits for the year.

Monday 30th December

4.5 mile run @ 7:50mpm pace

Tuesday 31st December
    Club cycle. Last one of the year. Having seen very little rain on the bike, it seems 2013 would not let that one slide. Got soaked to the skin in driving rain and hailstones. I didn't complain too much. Small price to pay for such a good year.

Distance: 77.4km
    Av speed: 25.3km/hr
    Elevation Gain: 576m

And there it is, my first 7 months on the bike done and I enjoyed every minute. I have to say that at the start I was unsure that the cycling would give me the same buzz and challenge as the running, but christ was I wrong. A few people had said to me that the cycling was easier....easier?....are ya joking me? But then I suppose that you can make everything as easy or as hard as you want it to be.

With regard to goals, I'm happy. I joined a great club with a great bunch of people who get everyone involved at all levels, a man could not wish for more. I didn't get involved in any racing as such but I did complete my first TT, albeit very slowly.

I managed to complete the following:

Little Dragon Sportive (75km)
    St Luke's Sportive (100km)
    Coastal Tour of Wexford (160km)
    Castlecomer Challenge (100km)

I only started recording on strava around the middle of June or so and statistics-wise it looks like this:

Distance: 3814.8km
    Time: 143hrs 34mins
    Elevation Gain: 30,304m

I have an idea of what I want to do next year, but I'll have a think for the next day or two.

To those of you who have viewed, contributed or thanked this thread so far, I thank you. Most of it was probably rubbish but thanks for the support in spite of it.

I wish you all a great 2014. I've met a few of ye in 2013 and maybe more of ye in the coming year. Happy cycling.

Had a bit of a think about 2014 and this is what I like to get done:

1) 8,000km for the year
    2) Lose weight
    3) More climbing
    4) Do some more sportives and improve on those I did in 2013
    5) Do some racing

I think the distance target is more than achieveable and anything over it will be a bonus. I'd hope to do some more commuting when the mornings are brighter. I will substitute some of the flatter routes of 2013 with more trips up Mt Leinster to get the climbing numbers higher. I will never be a climber or anything like it, but it would be nice to be stronger and less under pressure in the hills.

It would be nice to travel a bit further for the sportives. I've made a provisional list and hopefully I can pick my way through most of them. My wife has already kindly offered to accompany me to any events which require an overnight in suitable accommodation, preferably with spa and beauty therapy facilities....so supportive:rolleyes:.

I'm looking forward to the racing, although ask me later when I'm getting dropped here, there and everywhere. I'm not going to be contesting much, but it will be a start and I'll give it my best shot regardless. It seems like there's "fit" and there's "race fit".

Now we come to the weight loss. Currently I've crept back out to 14st 7lbs and at 5' 11'' its not what I want to be. Unfortunately, I'm the kinda guy that has to keep the exercise pretty regular and watch what I eat. I put on the weight very quickly and find it hard to get rid of it. Even when I look slimmer the scales tells a different story. I really need to lose this "Ah I'm training, I can eat what I like, I'll burn it off" approach as its doing me no favours. I'd really love to get down to about 13st 3lbs.

So that's the easy part done.....roll on 2014.

Sounds good. Do yourself a favour though - get yourself a body composition scales. You don't want to start punishing yourself for building muscle.

No post last week. Little to report so its included now. Got a physio session on the hips. Have booked an appt for a full health check up.

Saturday 4th January

30 minute turbo session at medium resistance 80-90rpm. Immediately followed by 4.5 mile run @ 7:52mpm pace

Saturday 11th January
    Went out with a guy I know. Back roads were shocking but the main roads were much better. We ambled along steadily.

Distance: 87.1km
    Av speed: 23.1km/hr
    Elevation Gain: 473m

Sunday 12th December

I had been thinking of doing a local running event but thought better of it. It's fine doing the odd short run here and there but cycling is the focus now. I headed out on the bike to spin the legs. It was dry and breezy when I started out but deteriorated quickly and I got absolutely soaked in a strong headwind.

Distance: 32.1km
    Av speed: 21.5km/hr
    Elevation Gain: 331m

Tuesday 14th January
    45mins Turbo Trainer. 10mins warmup, 10 x 1min intervals with 1min recoveries, 15mins cooldown.

Wednesday 15th January
    25mins Turbo Trainer. 7.5mins warmup, 10mins of high resistance/low cadence, 7.5mins cooldown

Saturday 18th January
    Tough spin with strong headwinds. Cold with rain and very wet roads. Had only planned to do about 50km but I kept taking little diversions here and there to tag on more distance. The route had a little more elevation than the routes I used last year, but that is part of the plan to get the numbers up in that respect.

Distance: 90.0km
    Av speed: 23.8km/hr
    Elevation Gain: 842m

Sunday 19th January
    A handy spin to help the legs to recover.

Distance: 30.0km
    Av speed: 24.8km/hr
    Elevation Gain: 246m

• Advertisement

Had a health check on monday and got my bloods taken as well. Didn't get a chance to collect the results. Will drop in for them next week. Rest of check went well with no issues. Blood pressure was spot on and resting heart rate was 55.

Monday 20th January
    Didn't get out till a bit later in the day for this fartlek session. Nice and dry, by far the best day weather-wise all week.

Distance: 65.7km
    Av speed: 26.7km/hr
    Elevation Gain: 449m

Saturday 25th January
    Was supposed to be a longer spin but the wind was pretty wild with heavy showers. Had a couple of close calls with strong gusts.

Distance: 91.3km
    Av speed: 22.2km/hr
    Elevation Gain: 948m

Sunday 26th January
    90 minute turbo session. Threw on a film on the laptop to help the time pass a bit easier.

- 30 mins warm-up at medium resistance/high cadence.
    - x 5 Interval sets of 5 mins high resistance/low cadence with 5 mins of medium resistance/high cadence.
    - 10 mins cool down at low resistance/high cadence

Got the blood results and everything is in reasonable shape.

As regards Lipid profile it looks like this:

Total Cholesterol : 4.9
    Triglyceride : 0.58
    HDL : 1.65
    LDL : 3.0

And my race numbers arrived...

Tuesday 28th January
    45mins Turbo Trainer. 10mins warmup, 10 x 1min intervals with 30sec recoveries, 20mins cooldown.

Sunday 2nd February
    Did the Barrow wheelers 100k today. Not a bad route at all, but it didn't go to plan I'm afraid. A call of nature early on meant I lost the group. I pushed on with a very sound guy from the barrow wheelers and after about 50k I had av speed of just over 28k/hr. I didn't bother stopping and kept going. Then The cramps hit, both legs, quads and hammies simultaneously on a small incline. Don't know how I managed to clip out in time but I did. Couple of wheelers guys got me going again, fair play to them and I just took it handy for the last 30k odd. On a positive note, I did help a girl to get through the last 25k by giving her a wheel to follow and she was delighted, good time too.

Had a bath with a couple of tablespoons of ground ginger and some stretching when I got home. On reflection there was no real mystery. I didn't train hard enough for the last few months, went out to kill it and got my a$$ handed to me. Cycling knows when you haven't put the work in, it knows and it doesn't like it and you must pay.

Distance: 102.0km
    Elevation Gain: 795m

Jeez I should have gone after all. You still would have cramped up but you would have been guaranteed to still have someone behind you, no matter what! :)

Plenty of stretching this week but not enough training. I wanted to get the legs back to normal after last sundays epic fail. Good news on the body weight. Had hit 14st 8lbs after christmas. The diet has been pretty clean since. Portion control and an increase in protein for the last 5 weeks has meant a reduction to 13st 12lbs. Still a good bit to go though. Next week may see me racing for the first time.

Tuesday 4th January
    30mins Turbo Trainer. Medium resistance @ 80-90rpm.

Sunday 9th February
    Handy spin. Mostly tempo with some fartlek at the start

Distance: 75.8km
    Av speed: 25.7km/hr
    Elevation Gain: 535m

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,160 ✭✭✭nilhg

Plenty of stretching this week but not enough training. I wanted to get the legs back to normal after last sundays epic fail. Good news on the body weight. Had hit 14st 8lbs after christmas. The diet has been pretty clean since. Portion control and an increase in protein for the last 5 weeks has meant a reduction to 13st 12lbs. Still a good bit to go though. Next week may see me racing for the first time.

*snip*

Ned Flanagan? I keep an eye out for you from the sidelines if you are.

• Advertisement

A poor week and no racing either, which was no harm cos I'm nowhere near ready.

Monday 10th February
    50min Turbo Trainer Tempo Session.

Tuesday 11th February
    50min Turbo Trainer Tempo Session

Saturday 15th February
    90min Turbo Trainer session. Warm-up, some intervals, a fartlek session and a cool-down.

Sunday 16th February
    Fartlek Session.

Distance: 48.8km
    Av speed: 27.0km/hr
    Elevation Gain: 342m

Just don't keep waiting till you feel ready because you'll probably never go. You might be pleasantly surprised not to be as far off the pace as you might think. Or at least you'll know what the gap is. Either way you'll know something you don't know now.

Monday 17th February
    50min Turbo Trainer Tempo Session. Good workout.

Tuesday 18th February
    60min Turbo Trainer Tempo Session. Another good workout and an increase in resistance while maintaining tempo.

According to the rest of the training logs there's plenty of solid work being done, races and even points being won, kudos to all.

My contributions this week are very small. It started well, but I got the flu on wednesday and that put an end to it. Don't remember ever having such a heavy dose. Wednesday and Thursday night were like scenes from the exorcist. All attempts at solid food have been punished. Got plenty of fluids in. The chest is not great now so I'll have to get that that sorted tomorrow. The only thing I'm not complaining too much about is the almost 7lb drop in body weight since wednesday morning, but I wouldn't recommend the process.

I'm worried now about all the missed training for events coming up, considering I wasn't exactly nailing it as it was. Hopefully it gets better from here on.

Recovery week from the flu and a chest infection. Course of antibiotics finished.

Saturday 01st March
    A change of scenery was great. Headed out for a bit of a spin with nilhg (thanks man) and did a bit extra on my own. Delighted to be back out on the bike. Felt reasonably fresh but the lack of training is highlighted when I push on a bit.

Distance: 51.6km
    Av speed: 24.9km/hr
    Elevation Gain: 381m

Monday 3rd March

Distance: 28.2km
    Av speed: 28.5km/hr
    Elevation Gain: 259m

Tuesday 4th March

Av speed: 29.1km/hr

Sunday 9th March
    Did my first ever race today, the Newbridge GP. Weather at home was not great but much better up the country. Got up in plenty of time and got in a warm-up, met a few guys and had a chat. Well organised and thanks to all involved. Met macbane66 just before the start and a quick chat with nilhg afterwards.

Rolling start, and we were off. I had started at the back and was still there when the race started. I should have pushed up closer to the back but I let myself slip back a bit. I wasn't strong enough and no shelter to catch back on and the writing was on the wall, I was annihilated. I stuck it out to the bitter end as I told myself before the race that I would do all 3 laps no matter what. I pushed it all the way, despite being sort of on my own for 95% of it, but only managed just over 31.4km/hr:o.

Am I dissappointed? No, not a bit. Great buzz around cycling and racing, I'm hooked. In fairness, there's no way of getting away from the fact that I am slow, embarrassingly so. But I met more really sound, genuine, supportive, like-minded people and got more useful advice.

All I can do is learn more, train more and race more and hopefully some day I will finish in the bunch. But for now, it's a home-measure of whiskey and the fire:cool:.

Distance: 52.2km
    Av speed: 31.4km/hr
    Elevation Gain: 376m

• Advertisement

Well done lad - cherry popped! Onwards and upwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Sunday 9th March
    Did my first ever race today, the Newbridge GP. Weather at home was not great but much better up the country. Got up in plenty of time and got in a warm-up, met a few guys and had a chat. Well organised and thanks to all involved. Met macbane66 just before the start and a quick chat with nilhg afterwards.

Rolling start, and we were off. I had started at the back and was still there when the race started. I should have pushed up closer to the back but I let myself slip back a bit. I wasn't strong enough and no shelter to catch back on and the writing was on the wall, I was annihilated. I stuck it out to the bitter end as I told myself before the race that I would do all 3 laps no matter what. I pushed it all the way, despite being sort of on my own for 95% of it, but only managed just over 31.4km/hr:o.

Am I dissappointed? No, not a bit. Great buzz around cycling and racing, I'm hooked. In fairness, there's no way of getting away from the fact that I am slow, embarrassingly so. But I met more really sound, genuine, supportive, like-minded people and got more useful advice.

All I can do is learn more, train more and race more and hopefully some day I will finish in the bunch. But for now, it's a home-measure of whiskey and the fire:cool:.

Distance: 52.2km
    Av speed: 31.4km/hr
    Elevation Gain: 376m

Well done. I'm still trying to get up the courage to enter the first race.

Well done. I'm still trying to get up the courage to enter the first race.

Thanks. It's a start. My advice, FWIW, is to get out there and do it. I was anxious about it, afraid of failure and making a fool of myself with my pace. Tbh everyone is busy with their own race.

You've got to start somewhere. Do it, set a marker and take it from there....and enjoy it.

Thanks. It's a start. My advice, FWIW, is to get out there and do it. I was anxious about it, afraid of failure and making a fool of myself with my pace. Tbh everyone is busy with their own race.

You've got to start somewhere. Do it, set a marker and take it from there....and enjoy it.

Wise advice. Pity nobody told you that...
    Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Just don't keep waiting till you feel ready because you'll probably never go. You might be pleasantly surprised not to be as far off the pace as you might think. Or at least you'll know what the gap is. Either way you'll know something you don't know now.

Oh wait....:eek: :D

Wise advice. Pity nobody told you that...

Oh wait....:eek: :D

I was kinda waiting for that. You know me well enough at this stage. I never listen. I learn....the hard way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,160 ✭✭✭nilhg

Fair play to you, at the very least you finished, and you can only improve from here, the amount of guys that chucked in the towel after a few KMs was eye opening.

Keep her lit, the only way is up.

I was kinda waiting for that. You know me well enough at this stage. I never listen. I learn....the hard way.

But you learn. That's the main thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Saw this on Strava, well done John for getting out there! Keep it up now! Great to see you getting the race buzz again..regardless of the discipline!:)

Brighter mornings, brighter evenings and dry roads. What more could you ask for.

Tuesday 11th March
    Handy spin to loosen up the legs

Distance: 28.3km
    Av speed: 26.9km/hr
    Elevation Gain: 257m

Wednesday 12th March
    Fartlek Session.

Distance: 35.6km
    Av speed: 29.0km/hr
    Elevation Gain: 306m

Friday 14th March
    Fartlek Session

Distance: 35.6km
    Av speed: 28.7km/hr
    Elevation Gain: 306m

Saturday 15th March
    Hill climbing session. Tough one and forgot to bring money to get a water top up. I paid for that mistake towards the end. Average speed was low but that was not the aim. Hills are a weakness and also I'm a bit nervous of steep descents, so I get to work on those too.

Distance: 124.5km
    Av speed: 22.1km/hr
    Elevation Gain: 1634m

Sunday 16th March
    Recovery spin and I needed it. Some good stretching as well.

Av speed: 27.1km/hr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Stumbled here after your post on tangs log. Delighted to see you were able to transfer the passion for running over to the cycling.

PM

PS you get a lot of man flu. Zip up the jacket ;)

• Advertisement

I had hoped to break 300km this week. But it was not to be with work and other commitments. Only got out for 2 spins but still managed just over 260km, so not too bad.

Monday 17th March
    Wanted to get in a fast 100km spin, sub 3.5hrs or so. Wasn't sure how the body would feel, having been in the hills on saturday, but the recovery spin the previous day had done its job. Route was pretty flat with little or no wind to speak of. Pretty happy with the results, got what I wanted.

Distance: 102.8km
    Av speed: 29.5km/hr
    Elevation Gain: 586m

Sunday 23rd March
    It was time for a big spin. Had planned to do it yesterday but I had to work. As it turned out, the weather was better today. First 100km was into a pretty stiff, cold headwind and it tired the legs quite a bit. I had hoped to push on after 100km and avail of a tailwind where possible. I pushed on at times but not a sustained effort as the legs had worked hard earlier. Average speed was not great. Very happy with my overall condition afterwards though. Felt good, no cramping and energy levels were really good.

Distance: 163.0km
    Av speed: 24.4km/hr
    Elevation Gain: 1314m

Jebus. Good work. There's me feeling happy with my paltry activity.

Fairly light week. Couldn't get out much during the week with work and the farm. Hit a new low of 13st 5lbs this week which was good. That's 17lbs down from christmas, definitely making a difference on the hills. I'm a bit behind distance wise from where I need to be, but the longer evenings and hopefully improving weather should help me to get back on track.

After 3 months, the numbers look like this:

Distance: 1497.2km
    Time: 59hrs 8mins
    Elevation Gain: 12,699m

Thursday 27th March
    Handy spin just to get the legs loosened.

Av speed: 28.1km/hr

Saturday 29th March
    Another handy spin to loosen the legs after some physio.

Distance: 48.3km
    Elevation Gain: 369m

Sunday 30th March
    Took a spin up the hills to improve on my climbing. Not too bad, its getting a little bit easier but a lot to do still. Managed to hit a pot hole at speed and puntured the rear. Front wheel seems to have escaped but I will throw an eye over the rim there later to see if its good.

Distance: 119.7km
    Av speed: 25.4km/hr
    Elevation Gain: 1076m

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Just picking this log up now, you're motoring well man!!

We must hook up for a spin when I get london out of the way

Gavlor wrote: »
    Just picking this log up now, you're motoring well man!!

We must hook up for a spin when I get london out of the way

Definitely. Things are getting fairly real your end, I'd bet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Definitely. Things are getting fairly real your end, I'd bet.

Yup, going to be a nitemare to live with for the next 13 days!

Gavlor wrote: »
    Yup, going to be a nitemare to live with for the next 13 days!

Ah yes.....Taper.....a word that strikes the fear of god into all one's nearest and dearest.

Very light week. Checked the wheels on the training bike last sunday night after hitting a pothole. Nice bit of damage done to both of them. In fairness they were close to the end of their life anyway. Ordered up a new set. Got the cassette, tubes and tyres transferred with no issues. Got the wheels on. Noted contact of the rear derailleur with the spokes. Bit of consultation with nilhg (thanks dude) and I went about slight adjustment of the derailleur. Couldn't get it quite right without upsetting the indexing. Had to head to town anyway so dropped into LBS next morning and discovered it was the dropout hanger which needed re-alignment. Starting to learn a bit more which is good.

Tuesday 1st April
    Handy spin. Followed it later with a 4 mile run, about 8min/mile.

Distance: 23.5km
    Av speed: 25.0km/hr
    Elevation Gain: 166m

Saturday 3rd April
    Short, handy spin again on the race bike, carbon rules.

Distance: 20.5km
    Av speed: 26.3km/hr
    Elevation Gain: 147m

Sunday 6th April
    Was supposed to do the 3 peaks challenge but the morning was miserable and I wussed out. Afternoon was beautiful, albeit windy. Got the training bike out to see how it was after the work on it and see how the new wheels were. Everything good. Wheels are very basic and low end but good enough for what I need and way better than the old ones, confirming that a change was around the corner either way. Tried a small session of sprints and the rest was steady with plenty of headwind to help strengthen the legs.

Distance: 104.3km
    Av speed: 26.8km/hr
    Elevation Gain: 778m

Decent enough week. With the weather dry, next week will be busy farm-wise.

Tuesday 8th April
    Handy, very short spin for the legs after a sports rub previous day.

Distance: 13.5km
    Av speed: 28.4km/hr
    Elevation Gain: 82m

Wednesday 9th April
    Fartlek session.

Av speed: 29.3km/hr

Friday 11th April
    Tempo session.

Distance: 44.3km
    Av speed: 26.6km/hr
    Elevation Gain: 373m

Saturday 12th April
    Did the Baby Mount Leinster event and rode there and back. Event went very well. Grub was great and a good turn out. Kept with the group easily until last climb and happy enough with that.

Distance: 24.3km
    Av speed: 23.6km/hr
    Elevation Gain: 243m

Distance: 69.5km
    Av speed: 31.1km/hr
    Elevation Gain: 655m

Distance: 24.3km
    Av speed: 23.9km/hr
    Elevation Gain: 164m

Sunday 13th April
    Bit quicker than I had planned but I had to be home to get tilling and sowing on the farm before half 9.

Distance: 64.1km
    Av speed: 28.4km/hr
    Elevation Gain: 438m

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,898 ✭✭✭pprendeville

Very light week. Checked the wheels on the training bike last sunday night after hitting a pothole. Nice bit of damage done to both of them. In fairness they were close to the end of their life anyway. Ordered up a new set. Got the cassette, tubes and tyres transferred with no issues. Got the wheels on. Noted contact of the rear derailleur with the spokes. Bit of consultation with nilhg (thanks dude) and I went about slight adjustment of the derailleur. Couldn't get it quite right without upsetting the indexing. Had to head to town anyway so dropped into LBS next morning and discovered it was the dropout hanger which needed re-alignment. Starting to learn a bit more which is good.

http://youtu.be/wQncKmddahk

Arts Cyclery do great videos for bike repairs. I've built and repaired my own bikes/wheels (occasional trip to LBS thrown in as well) the last few years and these guys make the process much easier. I've written out the instructions for RD adjustment and will edit this post shortly to include. Haven't come across too many farmer cyclists apart from a fella I met in Broadford last year. In fairness, it must be one of the busiest jobs going but also one of the most rewarding (maybe not financially). Used always love watching Ear to the Ground and marvel at the really innovative farmers who went fully organic or just became really efficient. I remember this one farmer who grew organic oats and has his own brand of porridge and a big restaurant in New York is one of his main clients. Nice to hear a success story like this. What do you farm?

Recovery week from the flu and a chest infection. Course of antibiotics finished.

Saturday 01st March
    A change of scenery was great. Headed out for a bit of a spin with nilhg (thanks man) and did a bit extra on my own. Delighted to be back out on the bike. Felt reasonably fresh but the lack of training is highlighted when I push on a bit.

Distance: 51.6km
    Elevation Gain: 381m

I have my own theory that cyclists get sick more often than the general population with one of the main reasons that cycling is quite a fatiguing sport. Throw in work/study/family commitments and it can leave you drained whether you realise it or not. It's important to know when to take a break and also to replace all the calories your burning. Carbs (spuds, rice, cereal, fruit) after training are especially important and for the rest of the time focus on proteins and fats (eggs, meat, oily fish). Here was a recommendation I got from a nutritionist recently:

"Apart from a following a healthy diet, some general vitamin and mineral supplements can significantly improve health. Athletes need more than the RDA’s. Modern farming has reduced nutrient contents of foods.
    - MultiVit - Normal Strength (general health): Quest , Solgar Earth Source Nutrients, Natures Aid, Lamberts, Life Extension
    - Fish Oil (protects muscles& joints, helps heart & brain): Natures Aid/Lamberts or Aliment
    - Vit D3 – new but excellent research, v useful for athletes (increases energy levels, reduces stress, improves mood, controls insulin, boosts immunity): Solgar VitD3 1000IU or NATURES ANSWER D3 OIL Note: not required if getting >30mins of direct sunlight per day
    - Protein: Best ones are with Natural Whey/No sweetners: see www.pulsin.co.uk

I haven't started on anything yet but will probably get some fish oil when I get home and some protein from Pulsin to throw in recovery drinks. I won't be going mad though. Was on Vit D3 during the winter as the smog was so bad and I was indoors 95% of the time so I had no exposure to the sun. Might be worth considering in the future.

http://youtu.be/wQncKmddahk

Arts Cyclery do great videos for bike repairs. I've built and repaired my own bikes/wheels (occasional trip to LBS thrown in as well) the last few years and these guys make the process much easier. I've written out the instructions for RD adjustment and will edit this post shortly to include. Haven't come across too many farmer cyclists apart from a fella I met in Broadford last year. In fairness, it must be one of the busiest jobs going but also one of the most rewarding (maybe not financially). Used always love watching Ear to the Ground and marvel at the really innovative farmers who went fully organic or just became really efficient. I remember this one farmer who grew organic oats and has his own brand of porridge and a big restaurant in New York is one of his main clients. Nice to hear a success story like this. What do you farm?
    I have my own theory that cyclists get sick more often than the general population with one of the main reasons that cycling is quite a fatiguing sport. Throw in work/study/family commitments and it can leave you drained whether you realise it or not. It's important to know when to take a break and also to replace all the calories your burning. Carbs (spuds, rice, cereal, fruit) after training are especially important and for the rest of the time focus on proteins and fats (eggs, meat, oily fish). Here was a recommendation I got from a nutritionist recently:

"Apart from a following a healthy diet, some general vitamin and mineral supplements can significantly improve health. Athletes need more than the RDA’s. Modern farming has reduced nutrient contents of foods.
    - MultiVit - Normal Strength (general health): Quest , Solgar Earth Source Nutrients, Natures Aid, Lamberts, Life Extension
    - Fish Oil (protects muscles& joints, helps heart & brain): Natures Aid/Lamberts or Aliment
    - Vit D3 – new but excellent research, v useful for athletes (increases energy levels, reduces stress, improves mood, controls insulin, boosts immunity): Solgar VitD3 1000IU or NATURES ANSWER D3 OIL Note: not required if getting >30mins of direct sunlight per day
    - Protein: Best ones are with Natural Whey/No sweetners: see www.pulsin.co.uk

I haven't started on anything yet but will probably get some fish oil when I get home and some protein from Pulsin to throw in recovery drinks. I won't be going mad though. Was on Vit D3 during the winter as the smog was so bad and I was indoors 95% of the time so I had no exposure to the sun. Might be worth considering in the future.

Thanks for the repair link and the dietary info. Very helpful and much appreciated. Still very inexperienced cyclist, so all help is very welcome.

I'm a part-time farmer at best, have a full-time job as well. My dad is still full-time farming. We have a tillage farm. We've grown many things over the years, sugar beet, potatoes, oats, wheat, barley and oil seed rape.

Very much an advocate for innovation, it's what secures the future of farming or any business for that matter. Even more important, I think though, is the bottom line. By that I mean it's all very well taking on new things but you've got to be smart. Everything you invest in needs a purpose, needs to add value and needs to work for you. The days of putting in savage hours and hoping for a return are no more. You need a return on investment, whether it be a new product or a new tractor. You've got to break it all down and do the maths. This is probably true of all businesses. Sometimes the start up costs mean you may only break even or worse. I don't think you have to move completely away from what you are doing, you have a platform already so use it. Of course this is only my very humble opinion.

Spoken like a true business man which is what farming has become I suppose.

Spoken like a true business man which is what farming has become I suppose.[/QUOTE

You are very right though. It is rewarding. Its a lifestyle and that is also very important. A lot of satisfaction to be had at the end of the day.

Not too bad this week. Finished up sowing, so that was great. Long days and late nights but managed some training as well. Time is flying by. League races are on the horizon. Body weight hit a new low of 13st flat, 3 lbs under my target weight, but it fluctuates a bit, so hopefully I can keep it this low and more consistent.

Tuesday 15th April
    Fartlek session. Modest at best. I was on the late night shift farm-wise. Got it done before it.

Distance: 34.9km
    Av speed: 27.2km/hr
    Elevation Gain: 232m

Wednesday 16th April
    Fartlek Session again, similar situation to the previous day, little bit quicker.

Distance: 29.4km
    Av speed: 28.9km/hr
    Elevation Gain: 268m

Saturday 19th April
    Hill climbing session with the club and a bit more. Seriously tough day in the hills, almost 7 hrs. Good work done though. Reducing my body weight has helped a lot. No issues with cramping or energy. Got a nice bit of sunburn on the legs which I had not planned on, not that I'm complaining too much, well apart from when the hot shower hit it.

Distance: 162.4km
    Av speed: 24.1km/hr
    Elevation Gain: 2169m

Sunday 20th April
    Recovery spin, slow and steady. Legs were fried from previous day but this spin did a great job of flushing them out.

Distance: 34.7km
    Av speed: 24.4km/hr
    Elevation Gain: 311m

• Advertisement

Not a bad week again. I was out on Sunday night at a gig which I thought was going to be a heavy session beer-wise and I had 3 pints beer and 3 pints of water. The old me, who resides now in a very small room at the back of my brain, was disgusted. It felt like I had done more cos I was wrecked by friday. Next week I am resting more. I'm marshalling one night and had planned to race in the league but I've knocked that on the head. Signed up the Frank O' Rourke next sunday so I think I will gain more from rest/recovery than I will lose from not training as much.

Tuesday 22nd April
    Handy enough spin.

Distance: 38.2km
    Av speed: 27.2km/hr
    Elevation Gain: 305m

Wednesday 23rd April
    Tough morning and an emotional one for my wife and I. Some family news means we have some challenges ahead but nothing we can't deal with.

Had my first league race later that evening and I was ready to burn off some steam. Unfortunately I punctured and that was that. Felt good though and not nearly as under pressure. It would have been interesting to see how later laps went but it was still a great buzz and also a great confidence booster. I am definitely stronger than I was a couple of months ago.

Distance: 10.0km
    Av speed: 37.8km/hr
    Elevation Gain: 14m

Thursday 24th April
    Plenty of fire in the legs after previous day. I did this route about 5 weeks ago on paddy's day at about 29.5km/hr. I hoped to maybe up the average speed by 0.2 or 0.3. Found I was going better than expected and pushed on. As I neared the end I could see that 31km/hr was possible, so I floored it. Was delighted and, when I adjusted, it gave 100km in under 3hrs 15mins. Big jump from the last time.

Distance: 102.8km
    Av speed: 31.0km/hr
    Elevation Gain: 586m

Friday 25th April
    I was wrecked before and after this recovery spin. Did not think I'd had a heavy week distance wise. A quick look at strava showed me that in the previous 7 days I had done just over 400km. Not a lot by some people's standards, but the most that I have ever done in that space of time.

Distance: 48.5km
    Av speed: 24.0km/hr
    Elevation Gain: 425m

Saturday 26th April
    This was a bad idea. Nothing in the legs. Got soaked. Shattered for the rest of the day. Plenty of foam rolling on the legs and an early night.

Distance: 31.0km
    Av speed: 23.7km/hr
    Elevation Gain: 316m

Sunday 27th April
    Club cycle. Legs were much better today but rest is still on the cards for the next week.

Distance: 45.1km
    Elevation Gain: 318m

Hope the bad news isn't that bad. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger as they say.

400km is a lot by anyone's standard in 7 days if you ask me so maybe time to back it off and super compensate. That's a period of less bike time and more rest (not lazing about and eating all around you mind) which allows your body to physically adapt to the training and extra load your placing on it. It is during this period that your fitness improves. Plenty of sleep as well will help a lot although that might be hard in your line of work.

You seem to be flying it. Keep up the good work. Great diary and a very clear format, must copy it (the structure) if you don't mind. Alls that's missing is a few pics of your spins. ;)

Hope the bad news isn't that bad. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger as they say.

400km is a lot by anyone's standard in 7 days if you ask me so maybe time to back it off and super compensate. That's a period of less bike time and more rest (not lazing about and eating all around you mind) which allows your body to physically adapt to the training and extra load your placing on it. It is during this period that your fitness improves. Plenty of sleep as well will help a lot although that might be hard in your line of work.

You seem to be flying it. Keep up the good work. Great diary and a very clear format, must copy it (the structure) if you don't mind. Alls that's missing is a few pics of your spins. ;)

The news is not bad as such, but it is life changing, to what degree we are not sure yet. We had our suspicions. But you know yourself when something is confirmed its a whole different matter. But you are spot on.....it will make us stronger.

Thanks for confirming the resting option. Nice to get info from someone more-in-the-know. I've started an iron supplement and will continue with the zinc and magnesium that I have been taking for a while. I seem to suffer a good bit from low iron with hard training.

Glad to hear the format is ok. Wasn't sure how to approach it but its easier for me to look back on, so I suppose that's the main thing. Well that and the fact that I'm not very technical when it comes to cycling training.

No problem copying the structure but if you copy the content you will regress I'm afraid.

The advice about magnesium supplements which you gave me a while ago, but I only heeded recently, seems to be paying off in our house too. We've been having much better sleeps since, which of course allows better training and living. Hopefully it's not just coincident with Easter holidays but the next couple of days will tell.

The advice about magnesium supplements which you gave me a while ago, but I only heeded recently, seems to be paying off in our house too. We've been having much better sleeps since, which of course allows better training and living. Hopefully it's not just coincident with Easter holidays but the next couple of days will tell.

Good stuff C. Glad to hear that. I find the zinc and magnesium great. I really do sleep like a log on it. It has been reported at times to promote more vivid dreams but I don't remember dreams usually. Taken one hour before bed on an empty stomach......give this stuff a serious run for it money:D

tedstee0082_kelly_1.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement