Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exactly like riding a bike

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭upthe19th

Got the blood results and everything is in reasonable shape.

As regards Lipid profile it looks like this:

Total Cholesterol : 4.9
    Triglyceride : 0.58
    HDL : 1.65
    LDL : 3.0

And my race numbers arrived...

Tuesday 28th January
    45mins Turbo Trainer. 10mins warmup, 10 x 1min intervals with 30sec recoveries, 20mins cooldown.

Sunday 2nd February
    Did the Barrow wheelers 100k today. Not a bad route at all, but it didn't go to plan I'm afraid. A call of nature early on meant I lost the group. I pushed on with a very sound guy from the barrow wheelers and after about 50k I had av speed of just over 28k/hr. I didn't bother stopping and kept going. Then The cramps hit, both legs, quads and hammies simultaneously on a small incline. Don't know how I managed to clip out in time but I did. Couple of wheelers guys got me going again, fair play to them and I just took it handy for the last 30k odd. On a positive note, I did help a girl to get through the last 25k by giving her a wheel to follow and she was delighted, good time too.

Had a bath with a couple of tablespoons of ground ginger and some stretching when I got home. On reflection there was no real mystery. I didn't train hard enough for the last few months, went out to kill it and got my a$$ handed to me. Cycling knows when you haven't put the work in, it knows and it doesn't like it and you must pay.

Distance: 102.0km
    Av speed: 26.7km/hr
    Elevation Gain: 795m

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Jeez I should have gone after all. You still would have cramped up but you would have been guaranteed to still have someone behind you, no matter what! :)

Plenty of stretching this week but not enough training. I wanted to get the legs back to normal after last sundays epic fail. Good news on the body weight. Had hit 14st 8lbs after christmas. The diet has been pretty clean since. Portion control and an increase in protein for the last 5 weeks has meant a reduction to 13st 12lbs. Still a good bit to go though. Next week may see me racing for the first time.

Tuesday 4th January
    30mins Turbo Trainer. Medium resistance @ 80-90rpm.

Sunday 9th February
    Handy spin. Mostly tempo with some fartlek at the start

Distance: 75.8km
    Av speed: 25.7km/hr
    Elevation Gain: 535m

• Registered Users Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭nilhg

upthe19th wrote: »
    Plenty of stretching this week but not enough training. I wanted to get the legs back to normal after last sundays epic fail. Good news on the body weight. Had hit 14st 8lbs after christmas. The diet has been pretty clean since. Portion control and an increase in protein for the last 5 weeks has meant a reduction to 13st 12lbs. Still a good bit to go though. Next week may see me racing for the first time.

*snip*

Ned Flanagan? I keep an eye out for you from the sidelines if you are.

• Advertisement

A poor week and no racing either, which was no harm cos I'm nowhere near ready.

Monday 10th February
    50min Turbo Trainer Tempo Session.

Tuesday 11th February
    50min Turbo Trainer Tempo Session

Saturday 15th February
    90min Turbo Trainer session. Warm-up, some intervals, a fartlek session and a cool-down.

Sunday 16th February
    Fartlek Session.

Distance: 48.8km
    Av speed: 27.0km/hr
    Elevation Gain: 342m

Just don't keep waiting till you feel ready because you'll probably never go. You might be pleasantly surprised not to be as far off the pace as you might think. Or at least you'll know what the gap is. Either way you'll know something you don't know now.

Monday 17th February
    50min Turbo Trainer Tempo Session. Good workout.

Tuesday 18th February
    60min Turbo Trainer Tempo Session. Another good workout and an increase in resistance while maintaining tempo.

According to the rest of the training logs there's plenty of solid work being done, races and even points being won, kudos to all.

My contributions this week are very small. It started well, but I got the flu on wednesday and that put an end to it. Don't remember ever having such a heavy dose. Wednesday and Thursday night were like scenes from the exorcist. All attempts at solid food have been punished. Got plenty of fluids in. The chest is not great now so I'll have to get that that sorted tomorrow. The only thing I'm not complaining too much about is the almost 7lb drop in body weight since wednesday morning, but I wouldn't recommend the process.

I'm worried now about all the missed training for events coming up, considering I wasn't exactly nailing it as it was. Hopefully it gets better from here on.

Recovery week from the flu and a chest infection. Course of antibiotics finished.

Saturday 01st March
    A change of scenery was great. Headed out for a bit of a spin with nilhg (thanks man) and did a bit extra on my own. Delighted to be back out on the bike. Felt reasonably fresh but the lack of training is highlighted when I push on a bit.

Distance: 51.6km
    Av speed: 24.9km/hr
    Elevation Gain: 381m

Monday 3rd March

Distance: 28.2km
    Av speed: 28.5km/hr
    Elevation Gain: 259m

Tuesday 4th March

Av speed: 29.1km/hr

Sunday 9th March
    Did my first ever race today, the Newbridge GP. Weather at home was not great but much better up the country. Got up in plenty of time and got in a warm-up, met a few guys and had a chat. Well organised and thanks to all involved. Met macbane66 just before the start and a quick chat with nilhg afterwards.

Rolling start, and we were off. I had started at the back and was still there when the race started. I should have pushed up closer to the back but I let myself slip back a bit. I wasn't strong enough and no shelter to catch back on and the writing was on the wall, I was annihilated. I stuck it out to the bitter end as I told myself before the race that I would do all 3 laps no matter what. I pushed it all the way, despite being sort of on my own for 95% of it, but only managed just over 31.4km/hr:o.

Am I dissappointed? No, not a bit. Great buzz around cycling and racing, I'm hooked. In fairness, there's no way of getting away from the fact that I am slow, embarrassingly so. But I met more really sound, genuine, supportive, like-minded people and got more useful advice.

All I can do is learn more, train more and race more and hopefully some day I will finish in the bunch. But for now, it's a home-measure of whiskey and the fire:cool:.

Distance: 52.2km
    Av speed: 31.4km/hr
    Elevation Gain: 376m

• Advertisement

Well done lad - cherry popped! Onwards and upwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,418 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Sunday 9th March
    Did my first ever race today, the Newbridge GP. Weather at home was not great but much better up the country. Got up in plenty of time and got in a warm-up, met a few guys and had a chat. Well organised and thanks to all involved. Met macbane66 just before the start and a quick chat with nilhg afterwards.

Rolling start, and we were off. I had started at the back and was still there when the race started. I should have pushed up closer to the back but I let myself slip back a bit. I wasn't strong enough and no shelter to catch back on and the writing was on the wall, I was annihilated. I stuck it out to the bitter end as I told myself before the race that I would do all 3 laps no matter what. I pushed it all the way, despite being sort of on my own for 95% of it, but only managed just over 31.4km/hr:o.

Am I dissappointed? No, not a bit. Great buzz around cycling and racing, I'm hooked. In fairness, there's no way of getting away from the fact that I am slow, embarrassingly so. But I met more really sound, genuine, supportive, like-minded people and got more useful advice.

All I can do is learn more, train more and race more and hopefully some day I will finish in the bunch. But for now, it's a home-measure of whiskey and the fire:cool:.

Distance: 52.2km
    Av speed: 31.4km/hr
    Elevation Gain: 376m

Well done. I'm still trying to get up the courage to enter the first race.

Well done. I'm still trying to get up the courage to enter the first race.

Thanks. It's a start. My advice, FWIW, is to get out there and do it. I was anxious about it, afraid of failure and making a fool of myself with my pace. Tbh everyone is busy with their own race.

You've got to start somewhere. Do it, set a marker and take it from there....and enjoy it.

Thanks. It's a start. My advice, FWIW, is to get out there and do it. I was anxious about it, afraid of failure and making a fool of myself with my pace. Tbh everyone is busy with their own race.

You've got to start somewhere. Do it, set a marker and take it from there....and enjoy it.

Wise advice. Pity nobody told you that...
    Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Just don't keep waiting till you feel ready because you'll probably never go. You might be pleasantly surprised not to be as far off the pace as you might think. Or at least you'll know what the gap is. Either way you'll know something you don't know now.

Oh wait....:eek: :D

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Wise advice. Pity nobody told you that...

Oh wait....:eek: :D

I was kinda waiting for that. You know me well enough at this stage. I never listen. I learn....the hard way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭nilhg

Fair play to you, at the very least you finished, and you can only improve from here, the amount of guys that chucked in the towel after a few KMs was eye opening.

Keep her lit, the only way is up.

I was kinda waiting for that. You know me well enough at this stage. I never listen. I learn....the hard way.

But you learn. That's the main thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭blockic

Saw this on Strava, well done John for getting out there! Keep it up now! Great to see you getting the race buzz again..regardless of the discipline!:)

Brighter mornings, brighter evenings and dry roads. What more could you ask for.

Tuesday 11th March
    Handy spin to loosen up the legs

Distance: 28.3km
    Av speed: 26.9km/hr
    Elevation Gain: 257m

Wednesday 12th March
    Fartlek Session.

Distance: 35.6km
    Av speed: 29.0km/hr
    Elevation Gain: 306m

Friday 14th March
    Fartlek Session

Distance: 35.6km
    Av speed: 28.7km/hr
    Elevation Gain: 306m

Saturday 15th March
    Hill climbing session. Tough one and forgot to bring money to get a water top up. I paid for that mistake towards the end. Average speed was low but that was not the aim. Hills are a weakness and also I'm a bit nervous of steep descents, so I get to work on those too.

Distance: 124.5km
    Av speed: 22.1km/hr
    Elevation Gain: 1634m

Sunday 16th March
    Recovery spin and I needed it. Some good stretching as well.

Av speed: 27.1km/hr

• Registered Users Posts: 5,055 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Stumbled here after your post on tangs log. Delighted to see you were able to transfer the passion for running over to the cycling.

PM

PS you get a lot of man flu. Zip up the jacket ;)

• Advertisement

I had hoped to break 300km this week. But it was not to be with work and other commitments. Only got out for 2 spins but still managed just over 260km, so not too bad.

Monday 17th March
    Wanted to get in a fast 100km spin, sub 3.5hrs or so. Wasn't sure how the body would feel, having been in the hills on saturday, but the recovery spin the previous day had done its job. Route was pretty flat with little or no wind to speak of. Pretty happy with the results, got what I wanted.

Distance: 102.8km
    Av speed: 29.5km/hr
    Elevation Gain: 586m

Sunday 23rd March
    It was time for a big spin. Had planned to do it yesterday but I had to work. As it turned out, the weather was better today. First 100km was into a pretty stiff, cold headwind and it tired the legs quite a bit. I had hoped to push on after 100km and avail of a tailwind where possible. I pushed on at times but not a sustained effort as the legs had worked hard earlier. Average speed was not great. Very happy with my overall condition afterwards though. Felt good, no cramping and energy levels were really good.

Distance: 163.0km
    Av speed: 24.4km/hr
    Elevation Gain: 1314m

Jebus. Good work. There's me feeling happy with my paltry activity.

Fairly light week. Couldn't get out much during the week with work and the farm. Hit a new low of 13st 5lbs this week which was good. That's 17lbs down from christmas, definitely making a difference on the hills. I'm a bit behind distance wise from where I need to be, but the longer evenings and hopefully improving weather should help me to get back on track.

After 3 months, the numbers look like this:

Distance: 1497.2km
    Time: 59hrs 8mins
    Elevation Gain: 12,699m

Thursday 27th March
    Handy spin just to get the legs loosened.

Av speed: 28.1km/hr

Saturday 29th March
    Another handy spin to loosen the legs after some physio.

Distance: 48.3km
    Av speed: 24.9km/hr
    Elevation Gain: 369m

Sunday 30th March
    Took a spin up the hills to improve on my climbing. Not too bad, its getting a little bit easier but a lot to do still. Managed to hit a pot hole at speed and puntured the rear. Front wheel seems to have escaped but I will throw an eye over the rim there later to see if its good.

Distance: 119.7km
    Av speed: 25.4km/hr
    Elevation Gain: 1076m

• Registered Users Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Just picking this log up now, you're motoring well man!!

We must hook up for a spin when I get london out of the way

Gavlor wrote: »
    Just picking this log up now, you're motoring well man!!

We must hook up for a spin when I get london out of the way

Definitely. Things are getting fairly real your end, I'd bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Definitely. Things are getting fairly real your end, I'd bet.

Yup, going to be a nitemare to live with for the next 13 days!

Gavlor wrote: »
    Yup, going to be a nitemare to live with for the next 13 days!

Ah yes.....Taper.....a word that strikes the fear of god into all one's nearest and dearest.

Very light week. Checked the wheels on the training bike last sunday night after hitting a pothole. Nice bit of damage done to both of them. In fairness they were close to the end of their life anyway. Ordered up a new set. Got the cassette, tubes and tyres transferred with no issues. Got the wheels on. Noted contact of the rear derailleur with the spokes. Bit of consultation with nilhg (thanks dude) and I went about slight adjustment of the derailleur. Couldn't get it quite right without upsetting the indexing. Had to head to town anyway so dropped into LBS next morning and discovered it was the dropout hanger which needed re-alignment. Starting to learn a bit more which is good.

Tuesday 1st April
    Handy spin. Followed it later with a 4 mile run, about 8min/mile.

Distance: 23.5km
    Av speed: 25.0km/hr
    Elevation Gain: 166m

Saturday 3rd April
    Short, handy spin again on the race bike, carbon rules.

Distance: 20.5km
    Av speed: 26.3km/hr
    Elevation Gain: 147m

Sunday 6th April
    Was supposed to do the 3 peaks challenge but the morning was miserable and I wussed out. Afternoon was beautiful, albeit windy. Got the training bike out to see how it was after the work on it and see how the new wheels were. Everything good. Wheels are very basic and low end but good enough for what I need and way better than the old ones, confirming that a change was around the corner either way. Tried a small session of sprints and the rest was steady with plenty of headwind to help strengthen the legs.

Distance: 104.3km
    Av speed: 26.8km/hr
    Elevation Gain: 778m

Decent enough week. With the weather dry, next week will be busy farm-wise.

Tuesday 8th April
    Handy, very short spin for the legs after a sports rub previous day.

Distance: 13.5km
    Av speed: 28.4km/hr
    Elevation Gain: 82m

Wednesday 9th April
    Fartlek session.

Av speed: 29.3km/hr

Friday 11th April
    Tempo session.

Distance: 44.3km
    Av speed: 26.6km/hr
    Elevation Gain: 373m

Saturday 12th April
    Did the Baby Mount Leinster event and rode there and back. Event went very well. Grub was great and a good turn out. Kept with the group easily until last climb and happy enough with that.

Distance: 24.3km
    Av speed: 23.6km/hr
    Elevation Gain: 243m

Distance: 69.5km
    Av speed: 31.1km/hr
    Elevation Gain: 655m

Distance: 24.3km
    Av speed: 23.9km/hr
    Elevation Gain: 164m

Sunday 13th April
    Bit quicker than I had planned but I had to be home to get tilling and sowing on the farm before half 9.

Distance: 64.1km
    Av speed: 28.4km/hr
    Elevation Gain: 438m

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭pprendeville

Very light week. Checked the wheels on the training bike last sunday night after hitting a pothole. Nice bit of damage done to both of them. In fairness they were close to the end of their life anyway. Ordered up a new set. Got the cassette, tubes and tyres transferred with no issues. Got the wheels on. Noted contact of the rear derailleur with the spokes. Bit of consultation with nilhg (thanks dude) and I went about slight adjustment of the derailleur. Couldn't get it quite right without upsetting the indexing. Had to head to town anyway so dropped into LBS next morning and discovered it was the dropout hanger which needed re-alignment. Starting to learn a bit more which is good.

http://youtu.be/wQncKmddahk

Arts Cyclery do great videos for bike repairs. I've built and repaired my own bikes/wheels (occasional trip to LBS thrown in as well) the last few years and these guys make the process much easier. I've written out the instructions for RD adjustment and will edit this post shortly to include. Haven't come across too many farmer cyclists apart from a fella I met in Broadford last year. In fairness, it must be one of the busiest jobs going but also one of the most rewarding (maybe not financially). Used always love watching Ear to the Ground and marvel at the really innovative farmers who went fully organic or just became really efficient. I remember this one farmer who grew organic oats and has his own brand of porridge and a big restaurant in New York is one of his main clients. Nice to hear a success story like this. What do you farm?

Advertisement