Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Michael Schumacher Suffers Serious Head Injury

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

Martin Brundle ‏@MBrundleF1

"Come on Michael, give us one of those race stints at pure qualifying pace to win through, like you used to. You can do it."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Was hoping this would blow over but the news has gotten worse over the day. Worried now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

Spent many a weekend glued to the tv as a kid watching him race. I really hope he pulls through. No doubt in my mind he is the best driver I've ever seen.

I got a little worried earlier when Sky were still leading with the story, but I didnt expect it to be life threatening. Come on Schumi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

Love him, best F1 driver ever.

Come on Michael.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭weekaizer

Genuinely shocked at this news. Michael schumacher is my childhood hero, still remember at age 11 setting the alarm clock at 4am for all those far eastern races to watch him compete.
    Can't believe he is in a coma...
    Get well soon Michael. Truely amazing sportsman and even more amazing racer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Jaysus, I do hope he pulls through with no lasting injuries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Hope he pulls through this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

SnowDrifts wrote: »
    Just disgusting comments/jokes which I wouldn't even repeat.

Fair play, I'd rather not even be aware of that kind of shite. It's all attention seeking, immature, w@nkology {apologies to the mods, but jeez, people can be sickening at times}.

Fingers crossed here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Shocking news, saw it on the bbc site in work earlier but read that it wasn't serious. Hope he pulls through.

• Advertisement

Let's hope the spirit of Hungary 98 helps him pull through

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭take everything

Amazing competitor and one of the all time great sportsmen.
    Hopes he pulls through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

Myrddin wrote: »
    It's all attention seeking, immature, w@nkology {apologies to the mods, but jeez, people can be sickening at times}.

Fingers crossed here

If that makes one feel better then fine, reality is there are people who do not fit into any excuse.

It's up to the hospital, it's capabilities, it's theater equipment, nursing staff, anesthetists, doctors, consultants and surgeons.

AND their ability and motivation.

My thoughts to guide the surgeons hands.

Red Nissan wrote: »
    If that makes one feel better then fine, reality is there are people who do not fit into any excuse.

It's up to the hospital, it's capabilities, it's theater equipment, nursing staff, anesthetists, doctors, consultants and surgeons.

AND their ability and motivation.

My thoughts to guide the surgeons hands.

:confused: All I said was fair play to a poster for not repeating moronic 'jokes' in this thread about what's going on...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Unfortunately the same mentality of the twitter gob****es has invaded the AH thread too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭rccaulfield

Is it a drug induced coma? Thats fairly standard imao!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

:confused: All I said was fair play to a poster for not repeating moronic 'jokes' in this thread about what's going on...

I actually would have deleted the post referring to such material.

We must project a positive image, after his recuperation, we can go back.

For now, he needs our thoughts.

Red Nissan wrote: »
    I actually would have deleted the post referring to such material.

We must project a positive image, after his recuperation, we can go back.

For now, he needs our thoughts.

Absolutely :(

Is it a drug induced coma? Thats fairly standard imao!

Apparently it was a coma 'on arrival', according to the French news site -
    Former German champion suffered a "severe head injury with coma on arrival "at Grenoble University Hospital and underwent a" neurosurgery ", announced the hospital said in a statement.

http://www.ledauphine.com/savoie/2013/12/29/meribel-michael-schumacher-victime-d-un-accident-de-ski

It's not clear though if it was medically induced or not...

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,585 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

For any twitter users, a good explanation of the medical terms etc follow @former_f1doc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

This man donated €10million to the victims of the tsunami....my thoughts and prayers are with him, hope he gets through it.

• Advertisement

Rightwing wrote: »
    This man donated €10million to the victims of the tsunami....my thoughts and prayers are with him, hope he gets through it.

More than some countries and which he tried to keep quiet. Respect.

Rightwing wrote: »

Also donated to flood victims in Budapest IIRC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

In my humble opinion, he may have suffered an extradural haematoma and the initial reports of him being conscious were a result of the "lucid interval" characteristic of this type of bleed. When things got worse he would have been put in a medically induced coma and transferred to a bigger centre with a neurosurgery department.

I'd be hopeful that after surgery he will be ok, but again it's only my take on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,782 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Trying to keep up to date on twitter and whilst the majority of people seem to be human, it's shocking how many absolute cu*ts there are on it.

Stay away from the thread on After Hours, it's an absolute disgrace that some of the sh1te has been allowed to stay up.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Apparently it was a coma 'on arrival', according to the French news site -

http://www.ledauphine.com/savoie/2013/12/29/meribel-michael-schumacher-victime-d-un-accident-de-ski

It's not clear though if it was medically induced or not...

Gary Hartstein thinks he would have been put into an artificial coma before being transferred to Grenoble.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,585 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Really hope he pulls through. Seems like a type of injury that if he wasnt wearing his helmet he'd be dead by now. The fact he was wearing a helmet can only be a good thing. He's in hospital now and have the best in head injuries there working on him (including F1 neurosurgeons).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,250 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Were any of these people also involved in treating Richard Hammond?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,204 ✭✭✭jos28

Ross Brawn has travelled to Grenoble according to this tweet

https://twitter.com/MrSolargarden

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Donnelly117

flazio wrote: »
    Were any of these people also involved in treating Richard Hammond?

Richard Hammond crashed in an airbase in York and was treated in the UK...I very much doubt the same people would be treating Schumacher in France...

Hoping to hear of #92 when I wake in the morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

Didnt like the man on the track because of his arrogance and ... ah **** it I was just a schumi hater ... but NO ONE deserves to go through what he is currently enduring.

Get Well Schumi!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭Peanut Butter Jelly

Needless to say, I'm not best pleased with one moderator over there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

My son has only been following F1 the last two years, fanatic now! He likes Schumacher although I'm not sure he's really seen him race. But his records and reputation appeal to the little dude. I Was a great F1 fan when younger, getting back interested again and Michael Schumacher is one of my favorite drivers. Hope things improve for him, thought and prayers are with him and his family.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭greedygoblin

Hoping to hear of #92 when I wake in the morning.

And no doubt this will be the greatest of them all.

Come on Schumi, you can do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

Let's hope he pulls through. Real legend of the sport.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Get well soon Michael

h3000 wrote: »
    Let's hope he pulls through. Real legend of the sport.

While its probably an unpopular opinion... For me he was the greatest of all time!

While its probably an unpopular opinion... For me he was the greatest of all time!

Is ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,888 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

This is the battle of his life, and if anyone can overcome this, it's Schumacher.

Schumacher is the only reason I began watching F1 religiously, and watching some of his races made the hair on my neck stand up.

C'mon Michael!!!!

• Advertisement

GT_TDI_150 wrote: »
    Is ;)

Good point :p I say was because he doesnt drive in F1 anymore...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

****, I really hope he pulls through ok. I was always a big fan of his. I know sometimes dominance in sport can make it boring, but in his case I always found his immense talent very enjoyable and inspiring to watch. And while I watched F1 before he came to dominate it, I really grew into to sport while he was on top, and to me F1 will always be the sport that he ruled.

It really makes you think. I've had a few hard bumps to the head doing various sports, that have left me shaken and wobbly afterwards, and I've refused any suggestion of medical attention. How fine a line there must be between a knock that makes you suffer a bit but does no real damage, and one that can take everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

I first saw Schuey racing in Barcelona in 2002 and he quite simply destroyed everybody that day with a stunning pole to flag win. I saw him again last year in Hockenheim and he trundled home a distant seventh. Even so, the genuine appreciation showed by the crowd to him during the drivers parade was unanimous, genuine, and warm. Indeed, a German friend I was with commented that he conversation around us was that everyone had more time for Schuey than a certain other German on the grid.....:eek:

Events like this really put life in perspective: none of us really know what lurks around a corner, and for someone like Schuey to have emerged largely unscathed from two decades of Motorsport only to be injured like this is deeply shocking.

God's speed to you Michael and get well soon. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

just seen on Sky news that Michael underwent a second operation overnight and that the hospital may issue a statement on his condition at 10am this morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Hopefully he will pull through this, the man is a legend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭greedygoblin

According to Bild the 2nd operation was to relieve the buildup of pressure on his brain. Hoping for some positive news in the press conference later this morning.

• Advertisement

Press conference to come on skysports now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,802 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

BBC News, live as well.

GT_TDI_150 wrote: »
    Press conference to come on skysports now

Only one operation! Thats surely good news!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

No real update I guess, still a waiting game.
    Must be a regular occurance on the ski slopes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

Lots of updates here following the press conference. Sounds like a severe impact, one operation overnight. Still critical.

Clarkson has weighed in too with a characteristically poorly judged joke
    The worrying thing about brain injuries is that you can recover only to find you're a midget with a marked Birmingham accent when drunk.

• Advertisement
Advertisement