Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Wind Storm late 26th-27th December

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,513 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

Worst weather since we moved in five years ago pretty tired now but no chance of sleep house is literally being pounded claregalway only positive is wind direction seems to have changed trees down on road all over the gaff

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭aurora 527

200motels wrote: »
    Extremely violent here at the moment,

Genuinely feeling a little scared right now, very unlike me.. In all the years i'm living in this house, never heard anything like it

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Clamball

Another nasty gust here in Cork, Douglas, doorflap rattling and all internal doors shaken.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Have had no issues with power here so far. You must be taking the brunt of it for us. Thanks!

What part of Galway are you in?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,826 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

JillyQ wrote: »
    What part of Galway are you in?

Tuam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

First visit to weather! busy thread!
    How do I find my local info?
    I'm in dundrum. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,381 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Just for the record, 946.3 mb at 23z out at K4 was their minimum, pressure now coming up slowly. Indicates main centre of low is perhaps 54.5N 12W but there are meso-cyclones further south. I can't see any factors in play that would change the outlook for continued very strong winds everywhere but perhaps far north and people there should keep in mind that very strong gradients between 50 and 120 km/hr winds could develop as with a hurricane eyewall, so keep your guard up (and the gardai out).

I'll have a more substantial update after the 01z reports but from satellite imagery it would appear that slightly higher wind speeds might be heading into west and southwest now, if that's even possible, if you think they have reached 85 knots or near 100 mph then that should be about the limit, I hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,548 ✭✭✭bassy

mayo.mick wrote: »
    Pressure graph from my weather station for last 12 hours. East Mayo near Knock Airport.

[IMG][/img]pressurestats27thdec_zps1e3af2c3.jpg

Do ya know vinnie Moran up there in swinford

• Registered Users Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

I think the centre of the low has just pushed in over west Mayo, here in Castlebar the wind has dropped off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Some_Person

Gusty enough here between New Ross and Waterford but still not as bad as earlier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,322 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

holy jaysus almighty:eek::eek::eek::eek: longest gust of wind i ever heard in my life

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Galway1989

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Have had no issues with power here so far. You must be taking the brunt of it for us. Thanks!

We're in the Belclare area shielding ye from the southwesterlys! Thank us with a few drinks at the weekend :P

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

Look what's on RTE1 in 24 hours!

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭microsim

liliq wrote: »
    First visit to weather! busy thread!
    How do I find my local info?
    I'm in dundrum. Thanks!

Firstly, try looking out the window and listening for the wind

• Registered Users Posts: 5,905 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Flash of lightning over Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Backfire

Lying in bed, hear the wind pretty loud, difficult to get to sleep and my bedroom is facing north east so its a lot louder on the opposite side of the house.

I plugged out all non-essential electrical applicanes, including PC and broadband, just in case.

Hopefully minor damage is caused by this storm and that nobody gets hurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Birtles

Strongest gust so far tonight here in mid Cork. House creaking en a cracking. Not so much fun now...

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Craigels

Alicat wrote: »
    Look what's on RTE1 in 24 hours!

They timed that well

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

In galway city atm and its the worst I remember ever hearing, and I am in the leeward side of the house.

why are the sinks gurgling ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

microsim wrote: »
    Firstly, try looking out the window and listening for the wind

NEVER would have thought of that ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

I'm running low on cans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Ugh, strong-ish winds in Blanchardstown but nothing to write home about. I was hoping for more here. It'll probably get worse but I'll definitely be asleep :L

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,467 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

RobAMerc wrote: »

why are the sinks gurgling ?

The wind is sucking / pushing air through the plumbing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

bassy wrote: »
    Do ya know vinnie Moran up there in swinford

*Off Topic* Yeah.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Its getting worse here now in cork.
    I would imagine we will peak here soon

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭airman737

bad enough here in Longford, some savage gusts in the last hour, but weirdly the sky (tv:-)) is perfect (Maybe because the satellite is on the south facing gable of the house). Loving the community involvement here on boards. Not goin to bed tonight, sitting here with the stove blazing and the candles ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,513 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

Utter disbelief we still have power in claregalway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

A bit breezey now in Bray

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Looking across at castletownbere and they have power, most of beara out but they still have it.:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭200motels

Bloody hell what a gust, the house is rattling, the cat won't even go out.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement