Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sports Extra (TNT/Premier)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

after bayern's great win last night, no need to get bt sport/setanta until the end of january 2014

• Registered Users Posts: 9,725 ✭✭✭lertsnim

ftakeith wrote: »
    after bayern's great win last night, no need to get bt sport/setanta until the end of january 2014

Why? They have nothing else on till then?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,538 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

One for the US/Canadian sports fans, BT obtain rights to the NBA (some time after the season's actually started...)

http://sport.bt.com/watchnow/programmes/bt-sport-agrees-multiyear-nba-broadcast-deal-S11363853884297

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

it appears sky have kept the european rugby live rights

That one's still a bit to run yet, I'm afraid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 KellyPavlik

I for one am very happy with the news on CL/EL for BT/Set and am extremely confident that they will be shown in ireland. My one thought now, is whether BT are then going to be at a stage where they will need to add a 3rd channel to the pack?.

They are certainly shaking up tyhe Sky monopoly and its great to see. Hopefully they go from strength to strength...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

I for one am very happy with the news on CL/EL for BT/Set and am extremely confident that they will be shown in ireland. My one thought now, is whether BT are then going to be at a stage where they will need to add a 3rd channel to the pack?.

They are certainly shaking up tyhe Sky monopoly and its great to see. Hopefully they go from strength to strength...

ah yeah, competition EU style.
    Where once we paid just 1 subscription for €30, now we pay 2 or maybe even 3 of them:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

yeah. expect Setanta to be around 30 to 35 euro by 2016 if BT do get more premier league rights and sky certainly wont drop their price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭radiowaves

That's a very strange post. The CL matches are already all shown in Ireland and if Sky were to get them again that would 100% certainly have been the case (same for the EL).
    As things stand, nobody knows for certain what will happen from 2015 but a third channel will not be enough to show 8 matches per CL night!

If BT concentrate on showing the "extra" matches on their own platforms and decide not to bother with extra satellite capacity for the sake of a few matches per year, it is hard to imagine if/how we'll be getting those matches here.

What we do know is that they have already indicated that the existing channels will remain, and also remain at the current subscription price.

The CL matches will be shown on extra channels with a second subscription tier. How many extra channels is the crucial question.

So, how it will manifest itself here is another question, just don't expect them to mention it in a press release nor on their website ;)

As for shaking up the Sky monopoly, subscribers looking for the full PL and CL package will be paying more from 2015 than at present (if dependent on Irish/British channels). Is that really something to celebrate?

We will probably get shafted as I can imagine all the non televised games will be available via their app which is for BT Broadband customers only. So we will probably lose out on this

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Onthe3rdDay

I thought that UEFA have a use it or lose it attitude to rights, If a company buys rights they have to show the game. Now, that doesn't have to be on Satellite, but I would assume that they'd have to stream the matches they have rights to in the Republic of ireland. Obviously you'd be paying to watch them but they would be available.

Now things may have changed but Did rte not stream the matches they didn't show in the last European championship. There was at least one world cup or European championships in the last few years when TV3 showed the matches that were on at the same time while RTE showed the glamour tie. This was in the dark days before streaming (around 2004?)

I thought that UEFA have a use it or lose it attitude to rights, If a company buys rights they have to show the game.

Just like Setanta?

If the Irish rights are a special case (and if Setanta and one CS rep from BT are to be believed, it is) then the rules don't really apply here one way or the other.

radiowaves wrote: »
    Just like Setanta?

If the Irish rights are a special case (and if Setanta and one CS rep from BT are to be believed, it is) then the rules don't really apply here one way or the other.

I,m not sure what rights Setanta have here at the moment, but all games are available via sky, so that might (or might not cover them)

What I'm saying is that from the time the new deal comes in, there will be no other way to see the games other than a sub to Setanta/BT, so they'll have to provide some way of seeing all the games. A complaint to UEFA might actually work, however we have to see what exactly they do first. You never know they might surprise everyone and show all the games.

I,m not sure what rights Setanta have here at the moment, but all games are available via sky, so that might (or might not cover them)

All matches other than those on RTÉ & TV3 - with a minimum of two to be broadcast each matchnight.

radiowaves wrote: »
    All matches other than those on RTÉ & TV3 - with a minimum of two to be broadcast each matchnight.

Right, but they're not exclusive rights, as in SKY have all of the matches on their stations or their Red Button. So you have access to all matches at some form at this time.

Once the new contract comes in that won't be the case. They have to be available at some level. Now they might be able to get away with it, but I'd think that UEFA will insist on at least streaming the matches.

If you look at the European championship qualifiers recently, games that were not shown by tv stations were available live on youtube.

It won't be that hard to stream the other games anyway, But I'd suspect it'll cost extra to watch the streams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

I have Sky, and am subscribed to BT Sport/Setanta. Can I get access to watch BT Sports online? I've gone through the site and it's asking for my BT account number, which I don't think I have. Can you not access it in Ireland?

Not available in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭TAFKAlawhec

jay0109 wrote: »
    ah yeah, competition EU style.
    Where once we paid just 1 subscription for €30, now we pay 2 or maybe even 3 of them:(
    When the EPL rights changed from a single package to six separate packages from which Setanta Sports picked up two and Sky the other four, Sky actually ended up having the rights to show more games than they did previously.

Neither Setanta or ESPN got to directly challenge Sky on the really big ties, it's only now with BT coming into the fray that Sky are now getting a bit of competition on all levels.

Also, the EU competition rules that directed the EPL rights to be split no longer applies, however the English FA have decided to keep the awarding of rights in the same format at least for UK & Irish broadcasters.

People really do have short memories. Up until 1983 there was no English football live on TV other than the Cup Final. In the 1980s we had one First Division match each week on ITV. When Sky started showing the Premier League in 1992 there was Super Sunday (with one game and two hours of buildup!) and Monday Night Football and little else. When "else" did come in 2001 it was in the form of PremPlus, the first and only time when Premier League games were pay-per-view. Things have moved on since then.

Anyways some news, the Business Post interviewed Setanta's Brian Quinn today and while not explicitly stated, it seemed to confirm that from 2015 BT Sport's Champions League and Europa League coverage will be available in Ireland. Ominously though the main subject of the article surrounded on the fact that that 2015-16 is in fact the last year of the Setanta-BT agreement and the possibility of BT going it alone in Ireland after that. Clearly its way too early, four months into a three year agreement, to be speculating on that prospect, but the Business Post decided to anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

icdg wrote: »

Anyways some news, the Business Post interviewed Setanta's Brian Quinn today and while not explicitly stated, it seemed to confirm that from 2015 BT Sport's Champions League and Europa League coverage will be available in Ireland. Ominously though the main subject of the article surrounded on the fact that that 2015-16 is in fact the last year of the Setanta-BT agreement and the possibility of BT going it alone in Ireland after that. Clearly its way too early, four months into a three year agreement, to be speculating on that prospect, but the Business Post decided to anyway.

Perhaps Setanta should do a deal seeing them becoming a broadband and TV provider with BT or with Eircom. Also its worrying that Setanta assume that its is also alright to sell BT coverage of games they don't (as of yet) hold the rights to in Ireland.

• Advertisement

icdg wrote: »
    People really do have short memories.

Indeed we do, you forget the weekly live game on Sports Stadium.:D

Indeed I did!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

anything else in the Business post article re Setanta and profitability? I wonder will BT go alone in 2015. It looks like BT are in for the long haul but a lot will hinge on the next premier league rights auction and what exactly they get out of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,106 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Setanta is €1 for december https://secure.setantasubs.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭iba

batistuta9 wrote: »
    Setanta is €1 for december https://secure.setantasubs.com/

199 Euro for 10 months instead of 12. The mind boggles.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,106 ✭✭✭batistuta9

iba wrote: »
    199 Euro for 10 months instead of 12. The mind boggles.

that's just a mix up

the €1 is mentioned here too http://www.setanta.com/ie/subscribe
    do you think it's a misprint?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Anyone try subscribing for the €1 price?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭paulboland

Try Setanta Sports for the month of December for €1
    Monthly Package
    It says Try Setanta Sports for the Month of December

1 Month only for €1
    December Only

Normal Price is €19.99 a Month by Direct Debit

Annual Package is €199 upfront 10 months price instead of paying 12 months €239.98
    12 months viewing for price of 10 months

After December Normal Monthly Package would be €19.99 if you wanted to continue Subscribing
    I'm sure it will mention this when you try to take advantage of the 1 month Trial for €1

Anyone thinking its only €1 every month it does say clearly Try Setanta Sports for the month of December
    But it might confuse some I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Big thread here & the Setanta rep is fielding questions.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057096519

Basically sign up now & you can cancel at the end of the month,total cost=€1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Widescreen

I have a regular sky sub, but I would like to get BT on a spare box I have instead so I will have a chance of watching everything I want

I have a white sky card which was used for multiroom up to being cancelled 2 years or so ago. The card delivers a message "this is the wrong set top box etc and will not clear channels such as lfc tv, so it seems inactive.

If I rang setanta or subscribed on line would they be able to pair this card to the box? Also , does this card have the same status as any card setanta would send me? I just want to know whether I can use this card or will i have to get a new one sent out?

Finally, is it only credit card you can pay by, when I had setanta previously you could set up a direct debit?

thanks

Advertisement