Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sports Extra (TNT/Premier)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭Tom Hanks

Andy Gray back for a one-off for BT this evening - he's been an idiot in the past but it's great hearing his brilliance yet again.

Wonder will it be his last for BT?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭radiowaves

Tom Hanks wrote: »
    Andy Gray back for a one-off for BT this evening - he's been an idiot in the past but it's great hearing his brilliance yet again.

It's like hopping into a time-machine hearing these particular commentators working together (showing my age!).

• Registered Users Posts: 45,824 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Tom Hanks wrote: »
    Lets hope so!

radiowaves wrote: »
    It's like hopping into a time-machine hearing these particular commentators working together (showing my age!).
    Like myself!, really enjoyed that pairing - I remember hearing them first do it 20 year ago - superb stuff.
    muffler wrote: »
    Lets hope so!
    Ah he's the best co-comm ever imo - a silly idiot at times, but he does bring the game to life compared to the dullness of Owen!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

muffler wrote: »
    Lets hope so!

He is certainly better than 'I have to shout everything I say' Michael Owen anyway. Wouldn't be surpised to see him being kept on, and him doing alternating a few games with Owen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,824 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Indeed I cant disagree re Michael Owen either but its just that I have listened and watched Andy, the mouth, Gray too many times in the past and I know there are lots of people who do enjoy him and his rough Scots accent but I personally cant stand the sight or sound of him.

Each to their own I suppose. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,718 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I would guess that he will do a game in each round of the FA Cup. Was reading that BT Sport have a working relationship with Bein Sports now too.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Anonymou wrote: »
    Does anyone know if bt sport have any games after February 22nd,and if they do when will they be announced? Seems to be nowhere to find any information or even confirmation they will have games after Feb,its as if they are trying to avoid the question!

They announce the live TV games for the UK & Ireland in tranches, the tranches get smaller as the end of the season approaches and the live games for the last day are typically not announced until very close to the time (although for the last few years ESPN have used up their quota before the last day arrives and likely as not BT will do the same). You can bet they will still have games up until the end of April or thereabouts though. It would be around this time that the March games would have been announced in previous seasons.

For now, I wouldn't be over-egging any relationship between BT and BeInSport though obviously it would be in BT's interest to keep BeInSport and their deep pockets out of the next Premier League auction - especially with Eurosport expressing interest in the next few days (though ultimately I believe they won't bid as it would be too dramatic a change in their business model).

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Discovery increased there share in euro sport so maybe they are looking to change????

Elmo wrote: »
    Discovery increased there share in euro sport so maybe they are looking to change????

Yeah, that's where the talk is coming from. My view is that the price involved in purchasing the Premier League would of necessity involve Eurosport becoming a premium tier channel. That's a big change from its current positioning as a basic tier channel hovering up pan-European rights for sports that don't necessarily attract a big audience and which national-based broadcasters don't have a huge deal of interest in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,624 ✭✭✭Infoanon

icdg wrote: »
    For now, I wouldn't be over-egging any relationship between BT and BeInSport though obviously it would be in BT's interest to keep BeInSport and their deep pockets out of the next Premier League auction - especially with Eurosport expressing interest in the next few days (though ultimately I believe they won't bid as it would be too dramatic a change in their business model).

Theres a train of thought that a Bein Sport/BT Sport bid for the EPL rights would have the financial strength to beat any Sky bid .

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭sigmundv

I can't for the life of me see that Eurosport will be involved in any bid for Premier League rights. Like icdg says, it would be a hugely dramatic change in business model. Eurosport have had some rights in Eastern Europe, though, because I remember watching some matches on a Eurosport 2 stream (think it was a Slovakian one).

sigmundv wrote: »
    I can't for the life of me see that Eurosport will be involved in any bid for Premier League rights. Like icdg says, it would be a hugely dramatic change in business model. Eurosport have had some rights in Eastern Europe, though, because I remember watching some matches on a Eurosport 2 stream (think it was a Slovakian one).
    If Eurosport have the money - of course they will bid for the most coveted rights in Sport.

They are already in there with the EPL regarding Romania, so who knows what they will do for the next 3 years when this one is over.

I just hope that Sky will have none.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Hi all,

Ordered BT Sport on the Setanta website. We have 2 Sky boxes in the house but it has only come through on one? I had a quick google and it said that you can only have it on one, is this correct? :confused:

It was true for BT Sport in the UK until recently although I believe its just changed. However it was never true for Ireland and Setanta will activate a second box as long as you pay them a slight bit extra (€1.49 pm I think). One advantage Irish viewers had over UK BT Sport viewers! On cable of course you will get it on as many boxes as you have.

Meanwhile the Sunday Premier League Centrals are no longer studio-presented and just have a voice-over now with no pundits. Anyone know if Paul Dempsey has now left Setanta?

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭mbutler2007

Paul Dempsey he has not been on BT sport either. used to be on a Friday night, maybe he is sick

• Company Representative Posts: 47 Verified rep Setanta Sports: Niall

SantryRed wrote: »
    Hi all,

Ordered BT Sport on the Setanta website. We have 2 Sky boxes in the house but it has only come through on one? I had a quick google and it said that you can only have it on one, is this correct? :confused:

Hi,

Please note that multi-room costs an additional €2.99 per month per additional box. If you wish to add Setanta to another Sky box, you will need to speak with a member of our customer service team on 0818203040.

Thanks,

Niall

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Hi,

Please note that multi-room costs an additional €2.99 per month per additional box. If you wish to add Setanta to another Sky box, you will need to speak with a member of our customer service team on 0818203040.

Thanks,

Niall
    Niall what's the story with Setanta/1 HD on sky? ... Will we ever get it or will the "plans are in place but no date..." Be the line forever more?

• Registered Users Posts: 60,309 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Paul Dempsey he has not been on BT sport either. used to be on a Friday night, maybe he is sick

He's working for the IOC's own TV broadcasting of the Winter Olympics, I'd say that why he hasn't been around for a while on BT or Setanta.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭mbutler2007

He's working for the IOC's own TV broadcasting of the Winter Olympics, I'd say that why he hasn't been around for a while on BT or Setanta.

were can we watch IOC's own TV broadcasting of the Winter Olympics, satlight online ? any web sits or channels

what sports is he covering

• Advertisement

RTÉ News Now, of all places. One hour highlights show daily. But that's a discussion for another thread.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057139286&page=3

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

irishfeen wrote: »
    Niall what's the story with Setanta/1 HD on sky? ... Will we ever get it or will the "plans are in place but no date..." Be the line forever more?

what is the point of setanta in hd, for one premier league per week and some champions league/europa league games

ftakeith wrote: »
    what is the point of setanta in hd, for one premier league per week and some champions league/europa league games
    ... its 2014! - a subscription broadcaster without HD is just embarrassing, almost 8 years after the launch of Sky Sports 1 HD too.

Presumably that's dependant on Premier Sports deciding to launch a HD version.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,309 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

were can we watch IOC's own TV broadcasting of the Winter Olympics, satlight online ? any web sits or channels

what sports is he covering

The IOC broadcast and then countries buy that off them so they don't have to sent team of commentators over to Russia.

Not sure what he is covering, But he did it for the last Summer Olympics for the IOC as well

• Registered Users Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Last I heard they were moving to HD soon.

The SS1/Premier Sports setup is also completely stupid - complete blackouts for us during GAA matches and blackouts for PL matches in the UK etc. is beyond disbelief for a subscription broadcaster - what the hell is going on with those at the top at Setanta ... they never seem to do anything right.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

I think its because they are trying to save money and it makes more economic sense for them to do that rather than have two seperate streams. They probably are using a shoestring budget and relying on BT sport to drive subscriptions to them with little profit margin.

I think its because they are trying to save money and it makes more economic sense for them to do that rather than have two seperate streams. They probably are using a shoestring budget and relying on BT sport to drive subscriptions to them with little profit margin.
    At the minute they must be flying with new subscriptions after the BT deal - they must have increased the new subscription rate massively. To match Sky and BT they need HD channels sooner rather then later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,718 ✭✭✭lertsnim

ftakeith wrote: »

Hard to believe but they use it to show those sports in HD. Groundbreaking idea I know.

Advertisement