Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The main thing is keeping the main thing, the main thing

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭cianc

Nice going AMK, that's some solid mileage you're holding, and not a niggle in sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭Gavlor

I'm running ferrycarrig and fungarvan aswell, you can pace my sub 60 attempt!

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Bulmers74

Gavlor wrote: »

Sub 60 for Ferrycarrig - don't be holding AMK back ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭blockic

Jan 12th: FerryCarraig 5m

See you both in Ferycarrig.... Finally a face-off with Gavlor! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

No problem - I'll look after pacing the 1st 200 meters of the 10 miler.

What time you hoping for in the 5m?

• Advertisement

blockic wrote: »
    See you both in Ferycarrig.... Finally a face-off with Gavlor! ;)

But he'll be on his mountain bike thingy.......(I still think you'd take him):D

No problem - I'll look after pacing the 1st 200 meters of the 10 miler.

What time you hoping for in the 5m?

No idea, I'll have to see how I'm fixed once I get back training

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

Ferrycarrig is a good race- might have to join ye all at it... whats the date?

drquirky wrote: »
    Ferrycarrig is a good race- might have to join ye all at it... whats the date?

Jan 12th - just enough time to get over the new year food/drink fest.

Monday 18th: 5m @ 8:10 HR 133

Tuesday 19th: 10.06@7:27 HR 145 (inc 3 Tempo)
    3 Tempo (6:30 / 6:26 / 6:15) HR average 155 for 3xT

Just realised I'm at 1496 miles for the year - thats a load more running than 1122 in 2012 - but at least I ran a marathon in 2012!

Happy with where I am running wise right now - from next week I might add in some intervals, just to get different stimulusususus adaptations.

Not going to murder myself on the intervals - been reading a lot of running stuff lately and less is definitely more when it comes to this (especially at my age)/

Difficult part of doing intervals in winter is finding a place to do them in the dark - I suppose Chesterfield in PP isn't too bad at night for this.
    Other alternative is to swap the long run to mid week and do intervals at w/e.

Might pop over to Lucan Park Run on Sat (only ever done Malahide) - does this make me a park run tourist?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Monday 18th: 5m @ 8:10 HR 133

Tuesday 19th: 10.06@7:27 HR 145 (inc 3 Tempo)
    3 Tempo (6:30 / 6:26 / 6:15) HR average 155 for 3xT

Just realised I'm at 1496 miles for the year - thats a load more running than 1122 in 2012 - but at least I ran a marathon in 2012!

Happy with where I am running wise right now - from next week I might add in some intervals, just to get different stimulusususus adaptations.

Not going to murder myself on the intervals - been reading a lot of running stuff lately and less is definitely more when it comes to this (especially at my age)/

Difficult part of doing intervals in winter is finding a place to do them in the dark - I suppose Chesterfield in PP isn't too bad at night for this.

Might pop over to Lucan Park Run on Sat (only ever done Malahide) - does this make me a park run tourist?

They love Parkrun tourists there, a guy called Paul was race director when I ran it, make sure to introduce yourself, they're a very friendly bunch (it's a Parkrun thing:D) Great to see you back on track and congrats to T on the Dublin squad, it must be the good genes:)

Ummmmmm join a freaking club? Tallaght AC trains Tues and Thurs nights on a lit up track :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Ummmmmm join a freaking club? Tallaght AC trains Tues and Thurs nights on a lit up track :D:D:D

Not a patch on Brothers' Pearse or Sportsworld's home turf I hear...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Sure, join Tallaght... if you're some kind of track fairy afraid of getting your runners dirty :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭outforarun

I do my intervals on Saturdays, and long runs on Sundays. When I started running I followed Hal Higdon plans and this is a legacy from these. I find that this works for me. Sometimes the legs might feel a bit stiff at the start of the LSR on the Sunday, but mostly I barely feel the speed session in the legs.

(P&D doesn't have this formula and while training for Cork I found it strange to be running short and easy on the days before my LSR)

outforarun wrote: »
    I do my intervals on Saturdays, and long runs on Sundays. When I started running I followed Hal Higdon plans and this is a legacy from these. I find that this works for me. Sometimes the legs might feel a bit stiff at the start of the LSR on the Sunday, but mostly I barely feel the speed session in the legs.

(P&D doesn't have this formula and while training for Cork I found it strange to be running short and easy on the days before my LSR)

IMO this is a really bad idea. Doesn't allow for proper recovery and can lead to injury .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭outforarun

IMO this is a really bad idea. Doesn't allow for proper recovery and can lead to injury .

I do hear you. And maybe I've just been lucky.

I should expand a bit.

Part of the reason I have my weekends like this is, as I mentioned above, a legacy of Higdon plans. I also have my weekends like this is for purely logistic reasons. The only time I can be guaranteed to get a run in during the week is in the early mornings (usually starting between 5:15 and 6:15) and the body can struggle with GA pace at that hour, LT pace is very tough, and I don't want to even think about anything faster (admittedly I've never tried).

Obviously I don't know for sure but I don't feel I can attribute any injuries I've had to my weekend schedule. The last significant injury I've had was during a PD training plan (which doesn't have this type of weekend set-up, here I think the injury was due to the weekly ramp up in mileage).

[I'm just remembering now as I'm typing that P&D does have three weekends where a 17 mile LSR follows the day immediately after a race (8K to 15K race distance I think). My PD injury occurred before this part of the plan.]

I should probably also add that when I say LSR, I'm generally thinking 12 to 16 miles. Anything longer and I would adjust my speed session, and would probably avoid intervals.

This post is rambling a bit, sorry.

Thursday 21st: 6.5m (inc 10x30 secs)

Wrapped up warm for this (or so I thought) - went down to the PP and had a nice trail run - stuck in 10x30 secs on 15 acres and jogged back.

Don't know if I done the bursts too hard (4:30-5:00 pace) but I had stomach issues when I got home and all night.
    Also got a chill through the body that made it feel like the dreaded Man Flu as well. Not a good evening for me - just a big girls blouse.

I wont race do Parkrun this weekend as a result - might just take it handy and see how I feel Sunday for a long(ish) run.

Friday 22nd - didn't do the planned 4m run - took a rest day instead.

Saturday 23rd: Didn't do ParkRun - took the dog for an 8m trail run around the PP.
    Lovely run - got inspired by Quirkys tempo run this week, but just went round the Munich's at a slow pace.

Will definitely do a couple of sessions on these in the coming weeks.

7.87m @ 8.29 pace (HR 141 - a bit high for an easy run).

Will cut the LR from 15m to 10m on Sunday as a precaution.

Friday 22nd - didn't do the planned 4m run - took a rest day instead.

Slacker!

• Advertisement

Sunday 24th: 10.17m 'steady'

Great run along the coast again from Sandymount.
    1m WU - 8:30
    8m@7:15
    1m CD 8:10

Forgot the watch, so turned on RunKeeper on the phone. Couple of stops due to the level crossing, but nice effort at a 'comfortably hard' pace.

wtd: 39.6 / mtd:130

Nice to get a week with increased intensity.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

How are Spurs doing??

belcarra wrote: »
    How are Spurs doing??

oh is there a game on? - watching the rugby.

:mad: One for the rant thread.

Mind the gap!

more of a chasm than a gap!

Monday 25th : 4.09m @ 8:13 pace - nice and easy around Castleknock (not in PP for once)

Tuesday 26th: 10.64m (4x1k + 4x200) - with the headlamp in the PP

This is a Tergat CV (critical velocity)session that I'll be progressing for the next few weeks. The pace is meant to be slightly slower than 10k pace however, Tergat suggests 8-12 secs slower than 5k pace. - So I was targeting these reps at 6:05 pace (give or take).

4x1k
    Rep1 3:42 (5.59) (eager!)
    Rep2 3:37 (5:51) (Downhill)
    Rep3 3:44 (6:02)
    Rep4 3:44 (6:03)

The prescribed recovery was 600m - I found that too long so may reduce it as I progress these.

Took a 5min recovery and went into 4x200 (90 secs) (36,32,32,35)

Happy with these - ran them hard - I was amazed at the power I had after the 4x1k and relatively high mileage. Focused on form - pushing the arms and running tall.
    I subsequently found out that the 200's are to be done at 1500m pace - so I may have pushed out the boat a little on those.

Next week I'll do 5x1k (+4x200) with the same 600 recovery. In a few weeks, I'll reduce the recovery.

Happy with the session - a good 10 miles with a bit of quality in there.

Nice session that. What's the main thing now?

You're going well at the moment, the break seems to have done you the world of good

blockic wrote: »
    Nice session that. What's the main thing now?

Thanks
    Everything is pointing to Manchester in April.
    On the way there, I'll be targeting;
    Sub 30 5 mile
    Sub 63 10 mile
    1.23.x HM

But the main thing is Sub 3 in Manchester.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

just wondering, you gonna follow an "off the shelf" plan for Manchester or do your own thing?

Advertisement