Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The main thing is keeping the main thing, the main thing

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

belcarra wrote: »
    How are you finding the new training plan Alan? I decided to copy you from the start as the plan looks good.
    That interval session on Monday was a tasty one!

I notice your recovery run today was fairly slow for this plan (I appreciate it would have been spot on from P&D's plan) - or did I get the jist of the plan wrong?
    Because that's one thing very noticeable from P&D - There is no hiding place, and even recovery runs seem quite brisk! It'd be handy to know if I've started off entirely wrong for recovery sessions!

Simply put John, Your recovery and easy runs are too fast. I run my easy runs way slower than you.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Relax lads, Belcarra is off a bit. The plan is flexible enough for recovery runs.
    I've been doing them all as recoveries, following the hard/easy concept.
    Plan is good.

The recovery runs/ easy runs call for:

" This is your typical daily run, which we suggest be three days per week for most people. The length and pace of your distance runs will vary from person to person and how you feel at the time. The distance runs in the schedule are the most flexible in terms of your training. If you're feeling tired, then cut back on the distance and pace of the run. Likewise, do the same if the weather conditions are poor. This day is a great day to do some alternate form of exercise if you cross-train. "

Yip, thanks for the feedback AMK! Not sure where I got my pace for recovery runs in my own table but I obviously got it wrong! Back to a more conventional pace from now on for the distance runs for me. No harm done so far yet and I actually enjoyed the intensity of the past two weeks!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

Relax lads, Belcarra is off a bit. The plan is flexible enough for recovery runs.
    I've been doing them all as recoveries, following the hard/easy concept.
    Plan is good.

The recovery runs/ easy runs call for:

" This is your typical daily run, which we suggest be three days per week for most people. The length and pace of your distance runs will vary from person to person and how you feel at the time. The distance runs in the schedule are the most flexible in terms of your training. If you're feeling tired, then cut back on the distance and pace of the run. Likewise, do the same if the weather conditions are poor. This day is a great day to do some alternate form of exercise if you cross-train. "

That looks like good common sense. However just a little word of warning from personal experience. I think you need a couple of recovery runs that are really handy no matter how good you feel. Reading the paragraph above you could interpret it as saying run far and brisk on those 3 days if you feel good. You'll get away with this for a while but after a number of weeks/months it will catch up on you. Last summer I was absolutely flying and my easy pace was naturally ridiculously fast. Instead of actively forcing myself to slow things down I just went it and am convinced its the reason my body went into muscular meltdown. Its not the first time that's happened to me either but. I hope it will be the last. Sometimes being smarter is better than being faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

TRR wrote: »
    That looks like good common sense. However just a little word of warning from personal experience. I think you need a couple of recovery runs that are really handy no matter how good you feel. Reading the paragraph above you could interpret it as saying run far and brisk on those 3 days if you feel good. You'll get away with this for a while but after a number of weeks/months it will catch up on you. Last summer I was absolutely flying and my easy pace was naturally ridiculously fast. Instead of actively forcing myself to slow things down I just went it and am convinced its the reason my body went into muscular meltdown. Its not the first time that's happened to me either but. I hope it will be the last. Sometimes being smarter is better than being faster.

A few mornings each week I do my recovery run on the treadmill, just dial in recovery pace. The pace and distance rarely change, sometimes it's slower if I had a few tough days. Find it helps with the discipline.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

I've considered all the 'easy' runs in the plan to be recovery runs so far.
    The only runs that I run with a HRM now are recovery runs as it really makes me slow down.

I'm very conscious of been able to "do a hard workout tomorrow" while I'm on a recovery run - keeps me sane.
    With the exception of this week, where there are 2 'hard' days in a row - the majority of the plan is Hard/Easy/Hard/Easy etc.

Working well for me so far - 3 weeks in and I feel great - just don't want to do anything stupid like I did earlier in the year.
    Lessons learned and all that.

Wed 1st Jan 2014
    Plan was for a 10-13 MLR (MP+30 secs): So I decided on doing: 1 mile WU / 8 MP +30s / 2 CD

Was a miserable morning for it, so wore the leggings - which I was glad of as the rain was stinging my face.
    I was glad the wind had changed in PP so it was blowing against on the downhill, so would be with me on the up :) - its the small things.

The MP+30sec miles went faster than I had anticipated - which considering the pints I had last night, was a surprise.
    Wasn't checking the watch that often, but when I was, I knew I was running a bit faster than planned (10-15 secs or so per mile) - felt comfortable enough so went with it - I though it would slow down on the uphill.

Ended up with:
    1 mile WU: 8:05

8 MP+30 secs (Target 7:15-7:20)
    7:20
    7:03
    7:05
    7:10
    7:07
    7:00

2.15 CD: 8:25

I know it as faster than planned, but I was surprised at the consistency of most of the miles.
    These MLRs occur every other week in the plan - so will try to do a better job keeping to the pace as I increase the mileage slightly.

Also discovered some serious stinging chaffing while in the shower :eek: . Damn rain.

Total: 11.2 miles at 7:25

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

I know it as faster than planned,

The title of your first book :pac:

Seriously man you are flying at the moment stay the course. I know you are saying you are running by feel but I think you might have been playing a bit of a mental trick on yourself given your effort level must have fluctuated going up the hill in order to maintain the pace.

(Solid session though I think you would be fine dropping a warm up and cooldown on these runs as they are steady and not designed to be dramatic pace increases)

Thanks ecoli - I knew typing it that I'd get some advice back about being too fast, but it did feel comfortable, I think the wind at my back helped the effort levels on the North road uphill - but I do take your point.

I'll do a better job on the pace for the next ones as I'll probably be too knackered to do them as quick :)
    Interesting point on the WU/CD on these runs - I was wondering why they weren't included in the blurb on the plan.

Recovery day tomorrow / 30-40 mins at MP on Fri / 15-18m on Sat.
    As stated earlier - the Fri/Sat run this week are the only hard back to back sessions in the plan for the next 8 weeks - but its no faster than MP so should be ok (as long as I stick to it).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

"I knew typing it that I'd get some advice back about being too fast, but it did feel comfortable"

I wish I had that problem :)

Great session.

TbL

Thursday 2nd: 6.3m @ 8.19 pace. Nice amble around the park, few trails.
    Done some core work in the afternoon (inc. lower back & Hamstrings), haven't done too much in the past 2 weeks.
    Am up to 50 push ups though :)

Friday 3rd:
    Plan called for 8-11 miles with 30-40 mins at Marathon Pace (+/- 10sec) - decided to do 35 mins which would be just over 5 miles.

Done 3 miles then set into the MP stuff - done 3 miles (about 20 mins) and then turned around into the wind and I may of well just stood still.
    Decided to cut the session at 3 miles - no point in the effort of doing 2 more MP miles into that breeze - especially with an 18 mile run tomorrow.
    Left it at 3 miles MP and ran the 3.3 miles home.

3 miles easy: 8:05
    3 miles M.Tempo: 6:47
    3.3 miles home: 8:16

Total 9.33 miles

WTD 41 miles

Cant wait til normality returns - At this stage I'm absolutely sick of that wine wind. :P

Thursday 2nd: 6.3m @ 8.19 pace. Nice amble around the park, few trails.
    Done some core work in the afternoon (inc. lower back & Hamstrings), haven't done too much in the past 2 weeks.
    Am up to 50 push ups though :)

Friday 3rd:
    Plan called for 8-11 miles with 30-40 mins at Marathon Pace (+/- 10sec) - decided to do 35 mins which would be just over 5 miles.

Done 3 miles then set into the MP stuff - done 3 miles (about 20 mins) and then turned around into the wind and I may of well just stood still.
    Decided to cut the session at 3 miles - no point in the effort of doing 2 more MP miles into that breeze - especially with an 18 mile run tomorrow.
    Left it at 3 miles MP and ran the 3.3 miles home.

3 miles easy: 8:05
    3 miles M.Tempo: 6:47
    3.3 miles home: 8:16

Total 9.33 miles

WTD 41 miles

Cant wait til normality returns - At this stage I'm absolutely sick of that wine wind. :P

What's your plan for the 18 tomorrow? (keeping options open....)

• Advertisement

menoscemo wrote: »
    What's your plan for the 18 tomorrow? (keeping options open....)

Think I'm meeting Dr Q at 9ish. - will confirm when he confirms!!
    Will be in PP anyway.

Think I'm meeting Dr Q at 9ish. - will confirm when he confirms!!
    Will be in PP anyway.

Sound. I'll confirm later too (have a few other possibilties in the pipeline).
    What will the pace be? 8ish/mile will suit me I don't mind picking up the pace a bit but only towards the end...
    I'll drop you a PM with my mobile anyway and let me know...

As far as I can see AMK that tempo run is just an introduction to prpare you for a faster MP segment of LSRs in weeks to come, so the 3 miles today probably doesn't matter much in the long term as the real benefit should come once we are incorporating it into our long runs as of next week.
    Can't wait for that, especially if the weather remains the same!!:rolleyes:

PS: The miles ramped up quick enough too! 41 miles for you with the LSR and another Distance run yet to come!!

belcarra wrote: »
    As far as I can see AMK that tempo run is just an introduction to prpare you for a faster MP segment of LSRs in weeks to come, so the 3 miles today probably doesn't matter much in the long term as the real benefit should come once we are incorporating it into our long runs as of next week.
    Can't wait for that, especially if the weather remains the same!!:rolleyes:

PS: The miles ramped up quick enough too! 41 miles for you with the LSR and another Distance run yet to come!!

Just the LSR then I'm done for the week (no other distance runs).
    Rest day on Sunday (I've bumped the plan 1 day so Sunday is my rest day, & not Monday).

The MP part at the end of the long runs - there my favourite - really like them........no seriously..... :D

Saturday 4th: Plan 18 mile LSR

Met up with Meno & Dr Q for this one - a lovely morning for a run with little or no wind.
    Meno was doing 20m so we agreed to see how we were feeling after 16 and I'd decide if I'd do it or not - my long runs have been up to 18 already, so wouldn't be an issue doing 20.

Took a chance and wore my new Saucony Guide 7's - a first run - but brought my old ones (Guide 6) in case it didn't work out - it did work out - no blisters or anything.

Run went well - We took on water after 9'ish miles & again when Dr Q left us near the 16m mark, I was feeling fine so Meno & I ploughed ahead to the 20 mark (I think he done 19.92 :) ).

20 miles @ 7:59 pace

Brings my total for the week up to 61.17m - my highest ever weekly mileage, which is nice considering I've 13 weeks training left for the Marathon.

Took a lot of confidence from this weeks training - high mileage and high alcohol intake and still feel relatively unscathed by it.

With work & GAA stuff back on the cards from Monday, it may be difficult to get the time to hit every run, but I've a wonderfully supportive wife (so far)!
    I may try to run some of the easy runs in the mornings - see how it goes.

I was feeling fine so Meno & I ploughed ahead to the 19.92 mark, I then ran around the car park like an OCD child to make up the 20 miles :).

20 miles @ 7:59 pace

FYP ;)

With work & GAA stuff back on the cards from Monday, it may be difficult to get the time to hit every run, but I've a wonderfully supportive wife (so far)!
    I may try to run some of the easy runs in the mornings - see how it goes.

I see Mrs AMK must have taken up browsing Boards.ie then...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭Gavlor

That is some week of training considering the time of year. Very impressive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Badreputation

Great weeks training + 20mls 13 wks out...nice going.

Part 2

Continues from extended post in Part 1 posted earlier today........

And that my friends is the end of the story that involves most of the Boards A/R crew and how they made the story of Caligula look tame.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Part 2

Continues from extended post in Part 1 posted earlier today........

And that my friends is the end of the story that involves most of the Boards A/R crew and how they made the story of Caligula look tame.

Feck ya :pac: Now I've got Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now stuck in my head for the night.

Sunday 5th: A rest day - a f£cking rest day. Taking down decorations, up & down to the attic, visiting relations, weekly shopping, making dinner. Rest days me ar$e.

Monday 6th: 2x(4x800) (90sec rec - 5 mins b/w sets) - 10k pace

Wasn't looking forward to this as I woke up to the torrential rain and howling wind.
    Decided to work from home as my German colleagues were on a day off and my US brethren would be fighting their own weather battles.

Headed out about 3'ish, wind still blowing but missed most of the rain.
    Done this session in Porterstown Park - which has bushes/trees all the way around the 1mile path.
    Haven't done a 10k in many months, but if my 5k pace is 5:50 then my 10k pace should be 6:00-6:05.

Warm up: 2:53m (8:12 pace)

Rep Time Pace
    1 3:01 6:02
    2 2:59 6:00
    3 3:00 6:01
    4 3:01 6:03

5 min jog recovery - 9:03 pace

Rep Time Pace
    5 3:00 6:01
    6 3:00 6:00
    7 2:59 6:00
    8 2:54 5:49*

(walk for 30sec of the 90s recovery on all reps)

2.17m cool down @8:55 pace

Total: 10:30 miles (7:52 ave)

Enjoyed this session, despite the wind I kept the paces very consistent.
    10k pace is a good pace for these intervals - not quite eyes out, but tough enough.
    Loving my running these days - just finish 1 run and cant wait for the next.

*obligatory 'Alpha male hero final rep' :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Nice one. You are flying it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭Gavlor

I've decided to copy the same baa plan as you. I love the structure and the sessions look great. Have the week 2 session tomorrow and I'm really looking forward to it. Thanks for sharing it....

Gavlor wrote: »
    I've decided to copy the same baa plan as you. I love the structure and the sessions look great. Have the week 2 session tomorrow and I'm really looking forward to it. Thanks for sharing it....

good man - thanks for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Gavlor wrote: »

We'll have to start calling him Al Higdon ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

digger2d2 wrote: »
    We'll have to start calling him Al Higdon ;)

God no, not another username :eek:

Tuesday 7th: Easy run - out and back to the Aras in the PP. 7.3 miles @ 8:33 pace.

Was tempted not to do this as was very tired - but I'm sure I'll have some 'real' reasons in the future to skip runs other than just been "tired".
    Felt much better after 2 miles.

Wore my new runners again, but found that my bunion (that I've had for years) was sore as was my instep. Need to watch that.
    Might be as a result of wearing the new runners on a 20 miler last Sat??

Wed 8th: Plan 10-12 miles inc 3x15mins (6:50 +/- 10s) with 5min rec

Tried on 3 pairs of runners before this run, the foot felt 100% in my new lunar glides and the older Sauconys, but could feel some discomfort in the new Sauconys. Strange as it has the wider toe-box??
    So maybe some bedding in of the newer runners to be done.

Warm up to the PP: 2.05m @ 8:05

Rep 1: 15 mins/2.24 miles @ 6:43 pace (down Chesterfield)

5min Rec: 8:32 pace

Rep 2: 15 mins/2.22 miles @ 6:45 Pace (Up& Down C'field)

5 min Rec: 8:36 pace

Rep 3: 15 mins/2.22 miles @ 6:45 pace (all up Chesterfield)

5 min Rec: 8:29 pace

Jog home: 2:14 miles @ 8:24 pace

Delighted with this session. Set out in lashing rain (but no wind) - didn't mind the rain after a couple of mins.
    Felt very strong on all parts of this run and probably could've done at least one more rep.

Each rep I set off too quick, so am still having trouble dialing in the pace - once I found the pace, I could hold it.
    Happy that all the reps were consistent.

Came home like a drowned rat - but 100% satisfied.

Total: 12.63 miles @ 7:29 pace.

** No issues with the runners (Lunarglides) or with the foot and the discomfort is non existent as I type this.

** No issues with the runners (Lunarglides) or with the foot and the discomfort is non existent as I type this.

Surprised you thought typing would hurt your foot! ;-)

I did that session last night and it went surprisingly well too. I think I was dreading the weather and wind much more than the pace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

Christ you're flying it at the moment aul fella! What's the marathon target? What was it 6 weeks ago? ;)

Advertisement