Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Independent jouno Conor George gets caught rapih' [MOD WARNING POST 36]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

There aren't many Irish rugby journalists who do have rugby background.

Farrelly had a rugby background. Didn't make him much better.

So does Hook!

Swiwi. wrote: »
    I'll have to take your word for it, I'm too uncool to have a linked in account :o

Yeah. All the madsers are on LinkedIn ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

durkadurka wrote: »

So does Hook!

So does, Ward, Toland, Quinny, Francis, that's the way the trend is going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

So does Hook!

Yeah, but even if I don't always go along with their views, at least they're formed out of rugby up-bringing...

...rather than using google to see what other people are writing and cutting and pasting it into an Indo article. I could never take CG seriously, and then of course his foolish tweets were the icing on the cake.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,148 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Does Brendan Fanning have a rugby background?

I'm not sure but I would read his articles. Gerry Thornley used to be good too until he got too close to the players and management and I don't think he's a rugby background.

Having a rugby back ground is not a pre requisite for me to be honest.

• Advertisement

Yeah, but even if I don't always go along with their views, at least they're formed out of rugby up-bringing...

...rather than using google to see what other people are writing and cutting and pasting it into an Indo article. I could never take CG seriously, and then of course his foolish tweets were the icing on the cake.

For your amusement here's a quote from his LinkedIn

• Excellent working knowledge of social media, including Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn

• Administrators Posts: 53,636 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Too many journos here have their own agenda that they are pushing. For CG that was ROG - and once ROG retired CG became a bit of an irrelevance.

Devastating news.

Means I'll need a new sig :pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I'll have to take your word for it, I'm too uncool to have a linked in account :o

Well that's cause people in your profession have an incredibly cushy number :P

I don't have an issue with a journalist not having a "rugby background" per se. CG is just an incredibly non-astute observer of the game.

CatFromHue wrote: »

I'm not sure but I would read his articles. Gerry Thornley used to be good too until he got too close to the players and management and I don't think he's a rugby background.

It definitely is for me. Sure if they are just regurgitating soundbites etc any journalist will do, but for a proper analytical piece I like someone who has a bit of knowledge: hence I would always read Brian Moore for example.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Nothing wrong with a reporter not having a rugby background in my eyes, as long as you're able to report on matches and news in an objective way you're good for the job, sadly the bould Conor has shown that he wasn't best suited to the task

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

Whatever you think about CG, my main bone of contention with him is that - as far as I'm aware - he has no rugby background. Whatsoever. Before anyone gets too excited, he's not on annual leave, or some other simple explanation?

Sorry Swiwi, that's irrelevent. Shouldn't make a difference. Obviously having played the game is an advantage, but a 'rugby background' does not a good journalist make.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,212 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Whatever you think about CG, my main bone of contention with him is that - as far as I'm aware - he has no rugby background. Whatsoever. Before anyone gets too excited, he's not on annual leave, or some other simple explanation?

Which is why he fit in so well in Irish journalism given the likes of some of the most successful rugby journalists in the country.

Johnny Waterson, former Irish hockey player and now, inexplicably, one of the main rugby writers with The Irish Times.

Gerry Thornley, The Irish Times tennis correspondent who graduated to LOI football before realising that he had an amazing ability to cosy up to Irish rugby players and tell them exactly what they wanted to hear. Known for his love of Geordan Murphy and apparent fear of grooming.

I don't think having a history within the game is a pre-requisite for being a journalist on the game. However, some of the guys (both those above, for example) provide very little insight into the game and regularly get facts wrong.

Sorry Swiwi, that's nonsense. Shouldn't make a difference. Obviously having played the game is an advantage, but a 'rugby background' does not a good journalist make.

Ok, I'm getting the message loud & clear from the forum, I'm a rugby snob :(

• Registered Users Posts: 24,212 ✭✭✭✭Buer

CatFromHue wrote: »

Fanning does. I'm not sure if he still is a member but he played for Clontarf for a long time and I've seen him at AIL games as a supporter a few times.

Thornley doesn't.

P_1 wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with a reporter not having a rugby background in my eyes, as long as you're able to report on matches and news in an objective way you're good for the job, sadly the bould Conor has shown that he wasn't best suited to the task

He was a fan with a laptop.

The PRO of the lions cut him down to size at the time of BOD's dropping

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

The PRO of the lions cut him down to size at the time of BOD's dropping

Do tell?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Is that all those ITM medals weighing your conscience down? :pac:

I think the polite term is 'traditionalist' :P

.ak wrote: »
    Is that all those ITM medals weighing your conscience down? :pac:

Nah, I retired at age-grade level...

• Advertisement

Nah, I retired at age-grade level...

Good call. Never would've been a fair match. The Canterbury Tank. ;)

Do tell?

When BOD was dropped for third test, he came out with his usual joke shop type stuff on twitter but the Lions PRO tweeted back and called him a fan with laptop. Tweets deleted now from what I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,139 ✭✭✭✭phog

He lost his source of scoops when ROG retired

Probably as accurate as one of Connor's articles.

When BOD was dropped for third test, he came out with his usual joke shop type stuff on twitter but the Lions PRO tweeted back and called him a fan with laptop. Tweets deleted now from what I can see.

Anybody else slightly disappointed that it wasn't a withering look at a press conference type scenario?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I'm disappointed, I was hoping it came from the Lions official account! :D

In fairness that's a total case of pot, kettle, black.

I'm disappointed, I was hoping it came from the Lions official account! :D

Sure the official account was completely off the wall!

Fair point, but it caused poor Conor to engage in another bout of tweet deleting .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Ugo Monye spacecraft experience

Ya, that media manager posted some very dodgy stuff too at the start of the tour

Advertisement