Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Independent jouno Conor George gets caught rapih' [MOD WARNING POST 36]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

Higher wrote: »
    Absolutely disgraceful. This man is writing for one of the most popular newspapers in the country and he's completely biased in favor of Munster. The guy is a stain on Irish rugby and will undoubtedly contribute to increasing the divide between the two sets of fans. Does impartiality in irish rugby journalism even exist anymore with the likes of Lenihan, O'Brian, Hook, Sheehan, Ralph Keyes, Gerry Thornley, George Hook??

You must have been on your holidays the day the teacher explained "irony".....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Benny Cake wrote: »
    You must have been on your holidays the day the teacher explained "irony".....

Yeah but he's not a paid rugby journo in a national newspaper, you'd expect a little more from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

Tox56 wrote: »
    Yeah but he's not a paid rugby journo in a national newspaper, you'd expect a little more from them.

True, but it is a little ridiculous when posters are so outraged by bias across the media when they themselves are so clearly one-eyed...

• Site Banned Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Higher

True, but it is a little ridiculous when posters are so outraged by bias across the media when they themselves are so clearly one-eyed...

Last time I checked I wasn't a professional journalist writing in a national newspaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭leftleg

Again Higher is not writing long articles for the Indo for which thousands of people read and some are influenced by. Higher writes a couple of posts on boards. Hardly the same thing is it?

This guy George is paid to write impartial factual articles for the Indo, not biased one eyed rubbish, with his own sarcastic spin on anything non Munster related.

My point is you cant really compare Higher with Conor George.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Higher wrote: »
    Last time I checked I wasn't a professional journalist writing in a national newspaper.

Simple. Don't buy the paper/service. Its irrelevant whether he is paid or not. For all you know, he could be paid by how many hits his article gets on their website!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭leftleg

jm08 wrote: »
    Simple. Don't buy the paper/service. Its irrelevant whether he is paid or not. For all you know, he could be paid by how many hits his article gets on their website!

And for all you know he could be an actual paid journalist (in disguise), why dont we just stick to what we have and not get into mights and might nots.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭goreyguy

For all you know, he could be paid by how many hits his article gets on their website!

hilarious!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

He very well could be. This is common practice these days and judging by the trolls in the Indo comments section I wouldn't be surprised if they planted these too.

However, it's certainly not 'irrelevant', as this is one of the main newspapers in this country and a leading voice in Irish rugby coverage, and they're basically paying a troll to 'write' for them. I personally find that disconcerting, never mind misleading.

It's funny thought that most of these media trolls are from a Munster perspective. You'd think the 'D4 media' that we heard about from down south for all these years wouldn't hear of it?! Maybe the tide is turning!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Benny Cake if you don't have anything to contribute other than jabs at another poster then don't bother. Attack the post, not the poster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,101 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

He very well could be. This is common practice these days and judging by the trolls in the Indo comments section I wouldn't be surprised if they planted these too.

However, it's certainly not 'irrelevant', as this is one of the main newspapers in this country and a leading voice in Irish rugby coverage, and they're basically paying a troll to 'write' for them. I personally find that disconcerting, never mind misleading.

It's funny thought that most of these media trolls are from a Munster perspective. You'd think the 'D4 meeja' that we heard about from down south for all these years wouldn't hear of it?! Maybe the tide is turning!

Fixed ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Only people involved in rugby who have to be impartial are referees and possibly RTE, the State broadcaster. Newspapers or journalists don't have to be impartial and are generally not.

Ah! Howaya Conor?!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,922 ✭✭✭jacothelad

leftleg wrote: »
    Again Higher is not writing long articles for the Indo for which thousands of people read and some are influenced by. Higher writes a couple of posts on boards. Hardly the same thing is it?

This guy George is paid to write impartial factual articles for the Indo, not biased one eyed rubbish, with his own sarcastic spin on anything non Munster related.

My point is you cant really compare Higher with Conor George.

Of course you can't. One is an insightful and interesting contributor to rugby in Ireland. The other is a man who must have difficulty getting around the Indo in his gigantic clown shoes. When George left Munster the IQ of the entire province doubled and that of Dublin halved instantly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

Just to put a close to this less than stellar of Irish rugby journalism, it looks like our mate Conor no longer writes for the Indo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Ugo Monye spacecraft experience

Just to put a close to this less than stellar of Irish rugby journalism, it looks like our mate Conor no longer writes for the Indo.

Really?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,197 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Hasn't featured for them in a week. He has removed the job description from his Twitter account also. Seems like the latest moronic comment was one too many for even those on Talbot Street.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

How do you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Buer wrote: »
    Hasn't featured for them in a week. He has removed the job description from his Twitter account also. Seems like the latest moronic comment was one too many for even those on Talbot Street.

Dare I ask what the latest moronic comment was?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

That's how it looks. He hasn't written an article for them in a fortnight.
    During a busy international window.

His linked in profile screams job application too.

He lost his source of scoops when ROG retired.

The last thing of his that I read was an absolutely pathetic attempt at pathetic fallacy ...
    http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/ill-have-no-hesitation-selecting-brian-odriscoll-if-he-is-fully-fit-joe-schmidt-29717360.html

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Called the selection for the Australian match a "jokeshop". He made that comment around midnight and then deleted it the next morning.

It's hard to have too much sympathy for him, he was his own worst enemy with the stupid remarks on twitter and how he handled the Jamie Heaslip comments that he (to paraphrase) accepted were on his Twitter account. Amazing that the Independent even hired him given his comments about the same paper a couple of months previously on Twitter.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,836 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

P_1 wrote: »

I presume the Joe Schimdt "jokeshop" comment

• Registered Users Posts: 24,197 ✭✭✭✭Buer

P_1 wrote: »

He posted the below on his Twitter one night last week. Not particularly bad but just ridiculously naive from a national journalist to make such a divisive comment. He deleted it pretty quickly but nothing is deleted on the internet.
    @conoreligeorge
    It's difficult not to wonder if Joe Schmidt is having a laugh with selection v Australia. Jokeshop

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,836 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I was genuinely amazed the Indo, rag that it is, hired Conor George (particularly after his hilarious comments about it being so shockingly Leinster-centric). Not surprised he is gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Buer wrote: »
    He posted the below on his Twitter one night last week. Not particularly bad but just ridiculously naive from a national journalist to make such a divisive comment. He deleted it pretty quickly but nothing is deleted on the internet.

True, it's one thing for us to post something like that here but something totally different when you're a writer for a national newspaper and Twitter is used as a means of publication for said newspaper

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Maybe he'll go back to the Echo. His articles were crazy there, but good for a bit of masochistic entertainment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

Whatever you think about CG, my main bone of contention with him is that - as far as I'm aware - he has no rugby background. Whatsoever. Before anyone gets too excited, he's not on annual leave, or some other simple explanation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

The standard of journalism, sports and across the board is woeful. No wonder the sales are in the dumps.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Swiwi. wrote: »
    Whatever you think about CG, my main bone of contention with him is that - as far as I'm aware - he has no rugby background. Whatsoever. Before anyone gets too excited, he's not on annual leave, or some other simple explanation?

Have a look at his linked in

https://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=141173831

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Swiwi. wrote: »

There aren't many Irish rugby journalists who do have rugby background.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

durkadurka wrote: »

I'll have to take your word for it, I'm too uncool to have a linked in account :o

Advertisement