Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you think you'll emmigrate?

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Caonima

Also, all of those cities I name are Chinese, just not PRC Chinese.

I am aware.
    Four or five, including the PRC.

And what a well-rounded person they've made you.

Anyway, don't come to Shanghai :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Nero707

No
    Probably. My grandfather, who has all my college money, lives in England. So, that is the most likely place I'll be going to. I will miss Ireland a lot, and visit as often as I can. Though, the emigration depends on whether or not I can get into the college I want to here, and so many other factors.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭alleystar

Whatever I feel like, GOSH!!
    Undecided. Strangely enough I think I'd miss Ireland. That being said being stuck on the dole in your hometown is soul destroying especially after three or four years of college.

The UK or mainland Europe would be my preference I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

No
    an overwhelming majority already deciding on emigration. There will be a serious brain drain in Ireland in years to come.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Days 298

No
    I've decided to emigrate once I'm out of college. There is no point to stick around. We are waiting for "the recovery". No one want to tell us what it is or when we will be there. I've a funny feeling my taxes would be spent cleaning up this mess and the debt forgiveness some want and not to provide services for me as an adult. There is a pension crisis waiting to happen in the future and I hope to be set up well in another country by then. I'll stick to the English speaking countries. Probably Australia or Canada first build experience and ultimately the States but I am still unsure. Canada would be closer to home but Australia is a nice country to live in too.

As the post above says a brain drain is imminent. I doubt the government of today care. It is and will make the unemployment % look smaller than it is. Planning ahead or thinking ahead is not the strong point of governments here. They generally stumbles from crisis to crisis fixing them with duct tape :rolleyes:

I can't wait to emigrate, one of the first thing I'll do is buy either a gas guzzling SUV or a muscle/fast car the likes of which are crazy dear to run here :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Jhcx

I read an article headline a few days ago. "Ireland on the way to recovery, sign on ques fall"
    Ya there bloody falling because there's no one left in the country. Everyday for the last few weeks the flights to Australia are packed. Numbers such as 60* to Sydney and 50* to Melbourne are shocking. Had a lady and her child today with their life in four suitcases off to start a new future in Oz. And it's the same most days always someone telling this is their life their off. And so many returning there. Only back for a visit. It's sad to say I think this country is in big trouble in terms of a slow and painful recovery. Talking to a couple who moved out to oz 40years ago And are very happy.
    It's very hard for people to make the decisions to stop their current life and restart somewhere else. And it's going to leave it's Mark. Yes many would come Home in a heart beat but a lot just can't come back to the place that pushed them out. I find it sad and just can't imagine what the future is going to be like for Ireland. But it'll be no Celtic tiger again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

I reckon I will eventually. I'll get bored with Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭TheBrewMeister

Days 298 wrote: »
    I've decided to emigrate once I'm out of college. There is no point to stick around. We are waiting for "the recovery". No one want to tell us what it is or when we will be there. I've a funny feeling my taxes would be spent cleaning up this mess and the debt forgiveness some want and not to provide services for me as an adult. There is a pension crisis waiting to happen in the future and I hope to be set up well in another country by then. I'll stick to the English speaking countries. Probably Australia or Canada first build experience and ultimately the States but I am still unsure. Canada would be closer to home but Australia is a nice country to live in too.

As the post above says a brain drain is imminent. I doubt the government of today care. It is and will make the unemployment % look smaller than it is. Planning ahead or thinking ahead is not the strong point of governments here. They generally stumbles from crisis to crisis fixing them with duct tape :rolleyes:

I can't wait to emigrate, one of the first thing I'll do is buy either a gas guzzling SUV or a muscle/fast car the likes of which are crazy dear to run here :)

Not sure why everyone thinks the States are doing ok. They have the same "Tax and spend our way out of trouble attitude" There's no recovery, they just printed a bunch of money. Once everyone figures out how much "free money" is floating around the economy the bottom's going to fall out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

No
    SarahBeep! wrote: »
    Yup, start a teaching job in England next friday!

Just spotted this thread and wanted to pop in.

Two months on and I'm happier than I've ever been. To anyone who is on the fence, go for it. If it doesn't work out you can always come home. My cousin is in Oz for a year since January and him and his friends have been granted a second year on their visas. He's even got to go to Africa with work! Zero chance of that happening if he'd have stayed here.

My best friend is in America since January and he's doing his best to stay there. As much as we all miss him, he's happier there now than he's ever been since I've known him.

Just go for it :)

Advertisement